Start by marking “The Capable Cruiser” as Want to Read:
The Capable Cruiser

The Capable Cruiser

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A Dolphin Book Club Main Selection, The Capable Cruiser illustrates how successful cruising is the result of a combination of factors including a homogeneous crew, proper preparation, solid gear, regular maintenance and exemplary seamanship. This book is the sequel to The Self Sufficient Sailor. This is indeed the global bible of cruising sailors.
Published June 1st 1995 by Paradise Cay Publications (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Capable Cruiser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Capable Cruiser

Ben Starling
Apr 28, 2014 Ben Starling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ocean-books
Okay. I love the Pardeys, I’m a big fan. I zipped right through another book in this ‘series’ by Lin Pardey.

Their philosophy of simplicity and downsizing spoke to my furry heart. It had large sections that could be described as ‘introduction to lifestyle’ themed. So these sections were often not so tough to get through.

Capable Cruiser is dense – and that’s good. Have to admit though that I pushed myself at times to get through Capable Cruiser. It’s focus leans more towards seamanship, anchoring
Austin Collins
Feb 21, 2014 Austin Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lin & Larry have for many years been the champions and standard-bearers of a certain sub-set within the circumnavigator community: those who do it in smaller, simpler, less costly boats. Their famous exhortation to "go small, go now" has been the motto and rallying cry of more than one generation of eager sailors. Why wait until you're rich? There is never a Perfect Time and there is no such thing as Enough Money, so Lin & Larry have become passionate advocates of Finding a Way. Not ever ...more
Jeff Ragan
Mar 29, 2011 Jeff Ragan rated it really liked it
I just finished my second reading! (4/25/11) Informative for the serious planner of sailing adventures. Fun for the casual reader because of all of the personal anecdotes shared along the way.
Philski
Oct 29, 2012 Philski rated it really liked it
Glossed over the last few chapters which were way over my head (I haven't sailed yet) but a very good read I will revisit in a few years, hopefully after I have some experience :)
Gregory Mayflower
Jan 27, 2015 Gregory Mayflower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boating
As usual, the Lin Pardey has written a very useful guide for anyone cruising in a sailboat, or getting ready to take the plunge.
Steve Bitner
Feb 28, 2016 Steve Bitner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
So much useful info. This was a good read and will be an invaluable reference.
Steve26
Steve26 rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
R. Geivett
R. Geivett marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Mark Crowe
Mark Crowe rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Peter Askulv
Peter Askulv is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2016
Darb Connell
Darb Connell marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Sheldon
Sheldon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Enrique Valdivia
Enrique Valdivia rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Denise Vermilyea
Denise Vermilyea rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Bryan Pruden
Bryan Pruden rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Merlin
Merlin rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
Peter Szkilnyk
Peter Szkilnyk marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
William Pardoe
William Pardoe marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
eduardo heidenreich
eduardo heidenreich is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2015
William Dashfield
William Dashfield rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Laurence McBride
Laurence McBride rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Horatiu
Horatiu rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Grete
Grete marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
206208
Lin Pardey (aka Mary Lin Pardey) is famous internationally for her expertise and experience in small boat sailing. Together with her husband Larry Pardey she has been sailing and writing for many years.

Lin's (& Larry's) sailing records speak for themselves:
Smallest boat to have circumnavigated contrary to the prevailing winds around all the great southern capes

Only couple to have circumnavigat
More about Lin Pardey...