Start by marking “South of the Clouds: Exploring the Hidden Realms of China” as Want to Read:
South of the Clouds: Exploring the Hidden Realms of China

South of the Clouds: Exploring the Hidden Realms of China

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
South of the Clouds offers a fascinating, intimate portrait of China by telling the story of an American man who ventures into its hidden realms---romance, politics, the criminal underworld, and Tibet. As he matures from a wide-eyed student into a journalist and a seasoned observer, he develops a passion for uncovering secrets, about China and about himself.

The author navi
Published October 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about South of the Clouds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South of the Clouds

Maphead
Mar 14, 2010 Maphead rated it liked it
As a longtime reader of the New York Times and The Economist, I’ve read numerous articles over the years dealing with the rapid economic rise of China. So, when I saw Seth Faison’s 2004 book South of the Clouds: Exploring the Hidden Realms of China on the shelf at my local library my curiosity got the best of me and I grabbed it.
Faison, a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist, former New York Times Shanghai Bureau Chief and husband of CNN reporter Siobhan Darrow, covers two decades of living in Ch
Jackie
Feb 12, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: china, asia
An easy read -nothing too indepth but gives a good account of some of the major happenings in China over the time he was in China. I have read a few accounts of peoples time in China and it is nice to read about someone who want to China in the very early stages of it opening up (he first arrived in the early 80s) and hear about his experiences and he writes about a few things I have not seen others tackle in an honest way (sauna massage and Falun Qong for example). This is a good book to add to ...more
Nancy
Sep 03, 2009 Nancy added it
The author's attempt at poignancy was somewhat successful. His frank and direct recount of some personal experiences were sometimes creepy and disturbing. My impression is that at first he was intrigued by China, and at the end he was disillusioned and disappointed.

This book opened my eyes to the fact that the chinese culture is vast and multi-faceted. Despite its immensity, it subjected itself to communism. Communism was a failure and devastating to the culture.
Scott
Feb 23, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
An interesting travelogue about Southwest China.
Beatrice
Sep 06, 2012 Beatrice rated it liked it
The author had just become my new boss....wanted some insight into his way of thinking. I was expecting a traveler's exploration of China, but this is rather more self-revealing/autobiographical than anticipated. Still, some very interesting topics.
Ryan
Mar 06, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
Finished it in a day. Funny and educational, he is a great reporter and chronicler, and a dogged researcher. Not on the same level as Hessler though, with somewhat shallow analysis at times.
Delight
Feb 27, 2008 Delight rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this memoir of the NYT China Bureau Chief so much that I emailed to tell him so. And he emailed me back! My book geek self was very excited about that.
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-a-change
S A
Jul 17, 2012 S A rated it liked it
Passable reading that sheds rare light on contemporary Chinese society. Not a serious piece of writing.
Denise
Jul 12, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, china
Loved going back to cities in China with Seth.
Cindy
Feb 09, 2008 Cindy rated it liked it
Surprisingly honest and personal.
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Sindi
Sindi added it
May 31, 2016
Eric Stone
Eric Stone rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Athenasdaughter
Athenasdaughter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Gaye
Gaye marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Tom Carter
Tom Carter rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Yamid HR
Yamid HR marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Vork
Vork rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Green
Green rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Deborah A. Ching
Deborah A. Ching rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Marlene
Marlene marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Masseyalum
Masseyalum rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Elizabeth Palumbo
Elizabeth Palumbo rated it liked it
May 16, 2014