Start by marking “The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room” as Want to Read:
The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room

The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room

For thousands of years, the Chinese have used the principles of Feng Shui to enhance their lives. At last, these powerful techniques have been translated into this practical and thought-provoking book for people in the Western world. In this comprehensive guide, acclaimed Feng Shui teacher Terah Kathryn Collins explains why the arrangement of your home and workplace affect ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Western Guide to Feng Shui--Room by Room

Jun 27, 2009 M rated it it was ok
I learned how to diagram my house for best life. and this area where I am writing this is in my prosperity quadrant and
it's true~!
Jul 23, 2016 Charmin rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
1. Health & Family—strength. Round leaves, fresh flowers, artwork depicting ideal health, floral prints, wood products, pillars, pedestals, photos of friends and family
2. Wealth & prosperity—Gratitude. Wind chimes, prayer flags, valuable possessions (antiques, art, crystals, coins); posters, paintings, photographs like to buy/experience. Blues/purples/reds – quotes.
3. Fame & Reputation: Integrity. “my integrity inspires good will and good fortune. I am trustworthy in all t
Mar 23, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
Had a hard time picking a shelf for this one. Settled on informational text, but .... I don't know. To believe or not to believe. There's an element of this that makes sense to me. Clutter. If one has a cluttered space, on one level or another, that clutter will ... bug the person, weigh them down, in that they'll always feel the need to clean. Clutter collects dust and creates problems for allergy and asthma sufferers. Okay. That aspect makes perfect sense. But .... Now, it should also be said ...more
Dr. Ruth Neustifter
May 31, 2009 Dr. Ruth Neustifter rated it really liked it
This book came to me from a good friend at the perfect time in my life. It's an easy to read guide that includes some of the background philosophies but focuses on applied approaches for using Feng Shui. You could read it to create positive energy around key goals in your life, or just use to find new ways to have a less cluttered and happier space. Feeling the nesting itch, or the urge to move your furniture around? This book will validate those feelings while simultaneously giving you some gui ...more
Dec 24, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book about decorating even if you don't believe in it as a way to change your life.
It does make rooms more livable and fun.
Sep 11, 2015 Narariel rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
Well-written & clear, the book isn't quite as detailed in a few cases as it could be. But it doesn't overwhelm with the various other forms of Feng Shui. The black-&-white photos are spread throughout the book & all the color photos are in one area, which I found frustrating & confusing at times. I think the photos could have been better arranged, even though the comparison (on different pages) of black-&-white vs color was useful. The writing is done in a light, conversation ...more
Aug 20, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Wow, I love the way this books is written, its is so easy to read and understand. and what can I say, I love the colors, pictures and just the way this book is writen. It makes you want to continue reading just to find out how the people in this books situation turned out. Hubby is not to happy though, because now I want to change things around the house...alot of Feng Shui books are hard to read and understand, but not this book, easy to read and it does capture your attention and makes you thi ...more
Ann Kucera
Jan 05, 2013 Ann Kucera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feng-shui
I recommend The Western Guide to Feng Shui Room by Room by Terah Kathryn Collins as the first feng shui book to read. Collins' book is easy to read and covers the basic feng shui concepts: yin/yang, the five elements and the bagua. It also discusses basic feng shui cures and their application. In addition, the book guides you through each room of your home and office, pointing out how to address common feng shui pitfalls.
Jun 03, 2010 Katharine rated it liked it
This is a GREAT book. It is easy to flip through based on which room your in, or which section of the Bagua Map you're in. Very easy to follow design suggestions for quick and easy changes to a room or apartment/house. I definitely recommend this a good place to start if you're interested in tinkering with Feng Shui but not sure you want to read a full book or commit a lot of time yet.
Dec 21, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Still fairly new to Feng Shui, I read this after the Dummies guide... I liked this book, it's quite practical, but it felt somewhat light overall to me. I don't know what kind of "meat" I was really looking for while reading this, but whatever it was, I didn't find it! Still liked it and applied a couple cures almost immediately.
Sally Kilpatrick
Sep 20, 2012 Sally Kilpatrick rated it really liked it
This book was an awesome discussion of the basics of feng shui. Sure it had some of the "just put a plant in the prosperity corner and your great Aunt will send you a check" business, but on the whole it broke the principles of feng shui without devolving into such madness. I got a lot of great decorating ideas from this book and found it to be a fun read!
Apr 16, 2008 Patti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-awhile-ago
Makes it easy and fun to Feng Shui your whole house. I will keep this as a reference guide. I has good decorating ideas and helps you balance types of materials used. I don't know if any of this works but the decorating tips are interesting and functional.
Jan 03, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Kelley - you would LOVE this book. VERY practical, very do-able. I bought this over a year ago, and it wasn't until you started reviewing the Feng Shui books that I even remembered I had it. Now, it's my mission for the new year!
Apr 25, 2016 Margot rated it it was amazing
Collins' "Room by Room" guide to Feng Shui is very straight forward, easy to read, and implement. This guide, unlike Collins' previous "Western Guide to Feng Shui," features color photographs to illustrate her points.
Sep 05, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it
This book was recommended by the Feng Shui practitioner in a two-part class I took. Of the four books I've read on the subject, this is the most helpful. I refer to it often. Oddly, the "cures" really work!
Oct 12, 2008 Shumei rated it liked it
I have more highlighting and bookmarks in this book - a sure sign of a good read! I am superstitious. I belive in the benefits of feng shui. I use this philosophy in my life and my house.
Jan 10, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book that just reiterated some of what I knew about feng shui. It was very inspiring though the more I read the more I wanted to clear my space and create a better chi in my house.
Apr 07, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Fabulous introduction and then some to the Western application of Feng Shui. I am putting into practice and enjoying the results. I reccomend this for anyone who wants to know more...
Mar 02, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
I'm renovating my house so I thought I would check this book out. I guess it was good but I felt that it didn't answer any of my questions. I think it had some major gaps.
Apr 19, 2008 Sidney rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Feng Shui and I enjoyed this book. I really enjoy putting some of the practices of Feng Shui into my home and found this book had some excellent ideas!
Ruth Marner
An unfortunate aspect of my particular reading is the fact that the publisher mishandled the book. It jumps from page 121 to 159. Not feng shui-approved.
Rosalie Spiteri
Mar 29, 2013 Rosalie Spiteri rated it it was amazing
A great way to have fun as well as harmonizing your home to have the best flow of energy!! Great book!
This book helped me get organized. Now if I could only stay that way.
Oct 13, 2008 Jsvaren rated it it was amazing
I reference this book all this time. It is a wonderful resource.
Apr 30, 2012 Roz rated it really liked it
Fun! Fun! Fun!
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: fiction, non
ReJeana L. Orr
ReJeana L. Orr rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2016
Dana Mincey
Dana Mincey rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
John marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
  • Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life: How to Use Feng Shui to Get Love, Money, Respect and Happiness
  • Creating Sacred Space With Feng Shui
  • Lillian Too's Easy-to-Use Feng Shui: 168 Ways to Success
  • Feng Shui Step by Step : Arranging Your Home for Health and Happiness--with Personalized Astrological Charts
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • Sacred Space: Clearing and Enhancing the Energy of Your Home
  • A Handbook of Chakra Healing: Spiritual Practice for Health, Harmony, and Inner Peace
  • The Practical Encyclopedia of Feng Shui: Understanding the Ancient Arts of Placement
  • The Practice of Chinese Medicine: The Treatment of Diseases with Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs
  • Feng Shui For Dummies
  • How to Rule the World from Your Couch
  • The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl: Real-Life Career Advice You Can Actually Use
  • The Witch's Bag of Tricks: Personalize Your Magick & Kickstart Your Craft
  • Organizing Your Craft Space
  • The New Tarot Handbook: Master the Meanings of the Cards
  • The Good Energy Book: Creating Harmony and Balance for Yourself and Your Home
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life
Terah Kathryn Collins is a best-selling author and the originator of Essential Feng Shui, which honors the essence of Feng Shui’s eastern heritage while focusing on many benefits it provides in today’s world. Her 6 inspirational books on the subject have sold over a million copies worldwide.

Terah’s first book, The Western Guide to Feng Shui, is filled with practical suggestions and inspiring befor
More about Terah Kathryn Collins...