Start by marking “Conan: Conan de Cimmeriër (Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Conan: Conan de Cimmeriër (Book 2)

Conan: Conan de Cimmeriër (Conan the Barbarian)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  3,820 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Eight swashbuckling adventures of Conan - Cimmeria's mighty barbarian

Conan is the gigantic barbarian from the Hyborian Age who brawls and battles his way acfross the prehistoric world to rise at last to the throne of a mighty realm.

Slave, thief and now a mercenary soldier in the armies of Turan, he embarks on his most hazardous adventures yet.

* Queen of the Black Coast
* Th
Published 2003 by Uitgeverij M (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Conan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan

Rodolfo
Dec 29, 2009 Rodolfo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my all time favorite book covers. This cover is pure Conan. Just look at him battling 2 frost giants! awesome. This was the first Conan book I ever read. I instantly became a fan of Robert E Howard and this character. I probably spent endless hours redrawing this cover and dreaming of battling giants with swords and axes through most of my early teens ( 12 - 15). I quickly went to the library and checked out all the other books in the series.
J. Kendrick Allen
Jul 17, 2012 J. Kendrick Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
The more I read the Conan series, the more I realize the genius of Robert Howard. Despite the pulp fiction nature of the stories, he vividly portrays the exploits of a seemingly simple yet nuanced character in a way few authors have achieved. It's no wonder Conan remains a household name and the father of so many fantasy tropes til this very day!
Marc Manley
Sep 27, 2010 Marc Manley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp
Say what you will, Howard was a master craftsman at his trade: story telling. I find his fantastical world engaging and entertaining. Howard's Conan isn't going to solve any philosophical questions; he just takes you for a ride.
Michael
Feb 27, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's Book 2 in my re-read of the Conan series by Robert E. Howard.

The Curse of the Monolith

L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter kick things off by having Conan get stuck to a magnet on which “a monster of living jelly” is called forth by the flute of a scheming Duke (he’s either a Duke, or his name is Duke- I really wasn’t sure).

The Bloodstained God

A Howard and de Camp story that bears a lot of similarities to The City of Skulls, which closed out Book 1. I didn’t care for that story and I don’t l
Mary Overton
Apr 04, 2013 Mary Overton added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Donald Moss
Conan, the meta-physician:
from the story, "Queen of the Black Coast"
Belit, the pirate queen and Conan's lover, asks, "'Conan, do you fear the gods?'
"'I would not tread on their shadow,' answered the barbarian conservatively. 'Some gods are strong to harm, others, to aid; at least so say their priests. Mitra of the Hyborians must be a strong god, because his people have builded their cities over the world. But even the Hyborians fear Set [ancient snake-god]. And Bel, god of thieves, is a good god
Valerie
Jul 18, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conan
Typical Conan - monsters, sorcery, women, treasure, swordfights...gotta love it!
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 27, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the Lancer Conans. Some of you will hate them because they are not only NOT the pure Howard stories, but they also include stories made from notes and pastiches by other authors. I enjoyed them, maybe not so much as the pure Howard stories, but they are good. I don't have all of them anymore and they are hard to find...if you can find them they are worth a try. Wish someone would reissue them.
Kione
Mar 03, 2008 Kione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert E Howard rocked hard.

The godfather of sword and sorcery.
No crap. No bullshit.
If you like Feist, Goodkind, Martin or any thing like that.
Then you might not like anything by Howard.
In other words.
No wussies!
Simon
Mar 18, 2009 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The jewel in the crown of this collection is most definitely "Queen of the Black Coast". The rest are ok and of varying quality.
David B
In order to enjoy pulp fiction, one must often make allowances for the backward racial attitudes of the time. Since this collection of stories finds Conan adventuring in the Black Kingdoms, such unfortunate references are more pervasive than usual and detracted from the pleasure of the reading experience. In addition, most of these stories are of the monster-of-the-week type, which loses interest even when well written. As usual, self-appointed collaborators Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp fil ...more
Olethros
-Más relatos del personaje icónico.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Continuación del intento de ofrecer los relatos del personaje en el orden cronológico de su “vida”, empezando en su viaje hacia el este como mercenario de Turán y terminado en Kush. Algunos relatos son de sucesores por completo, otros han sido completados desde borradores del creador y alguno se llegó a publicar en los años treinta en vida de Howard.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Phil Overeem
Feb 15, 2008 Phil Overeem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 5th to 8th grade, I was deeply involved in Howard's Conan series. I traded 'em away for comics pretty much immediately after reading each, but found one at a flea market a year or so ago. Now I am deeply disturbed that I was weaned on them--but they are still cool. If you enjoyed the Conan experience, you might want to rent The Whole Wide World which tells the story of the young Robert Howard.
Bobby Bermea
These books are difficult to get next to because of the additions by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter. What they were attempting was fun and worthwhile but just not as good as the muscular dynamism of Howard's prose. Why four stars then? Because there are three of Howard's stories in here and they are still wonderful. I gave this book four stars on the strength of Queen of the Black Coast and The Frost Giant's Daughter alone.
Tim
Jul 23, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conan with his incredible physical ability, natural leadership, and primitive goodness stalks across a vividly painted world, meeting conniving nobles, ancient evils, and sparsely clad women. Another book from the cache in grandpa's attic that I recently reread - I am coming to see more clearly where the warps in my world view appeared.
Ed Wyrd
Mar 15, 2010 Ed Wyrd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reh
The 2nd book in the Lancer/Ace Conan. Contains the Howard classic "Queen of the Black Coast." That and the Frazette cover make this one worth the price of admission.
Kayefex
See my review for the book "Conan." That review is meant for all of the Conan the Cimmerian series of books.
Keith
May 03, 2011 Keith is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't finished yet, but remember Conan stories while growing up. I enjoy them as much now as I did back then! Great action and adventure reading!
Lyssa
Jun 28, 2015 Lyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conan rocks!
Ron
Oct 20, 2008 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to beat the original Conan. The character never dies... Conan is forever.
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
the Conan books were the first and the best big barbarian type books
Harold
Sep 15, 2012 Harold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More great writing!
Lawrence
Nov 30, 2012 Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't read just one Conan story....
Philip Athans
Jun 16, 2010 Philip Athans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conan rules!
Dave Tindall
Feb 12, 2017 Dave Tindall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. the best of the original books of short stories by Robert E Howard in my opinion. good stories, and includes the Belit tale which I love.
Keith
Jan 20, 2017 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fant-sci-fi-hor
Good sword and sworcery stories.
Kevin
The second of the Conan series by Robert E. Howard, edited by L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter. I appear to be in the minority on this one, but I found this volume to be weaker than its predecessor.

"The Curse of the Monolith" 2.5/5 Stars
An L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter contribution, this one begins with Conan acting incredibly stupid and out of character. In previous stories, as well as later ones in this volume, Conan seems less interested in treasure and shrugs it off when it slips from h
Michael
As part of my re-reading of the Conan books, I delved into this second one. It had been a few years since I re-read the first in this series and maybe it’s me or maybe these stories are worse, but the implicit and I’d argue explicit racism really comes through here. While these may be basically pulp fiction throw away adventure stories, the racism tarnishes them. For a good half of the stories Conan is in Kush (sub-Saharan Africa stand-in) and the description of the people, their actions, their ...more
Jim
The continuing adventures of Robert Howard's legendary character Conan the Barbarian, as presented by messrs. L. Sprague deCamp and Lin Carter. Conan of Cimmeria features seven Conan short stories, but only three of them are among Howard's original 21. The other four are all either pastiches by DeCamp and Carter, or Howard stories originally featuring lesser-known characters that DeCamp took and re-wrote as Conan stories. The result is a book of wildly varying quality from one story to the next. ...more
Jacob
Jun 26, 2013 Jacob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still 3 stars. Better than the first Conan. Little more nuanced, stories longer, settings more varied. As I mentioned in my review of the first book, the writing is not nearly as bad as I feared it would be and the pre-history Pangea truly is a stroke of genius. I liked the "Queen of the Black Coast", "The Castle of Terror", and "The Snout in the Dark". Supernatural in ancient ruins is a tried and true staple of Mr. Howard which the first two employ. I wish "Queen of the Black Coast" had been lo ...more
Christian
This rating is an average for all the Conan stories I read, before I got sick of them. It's more like 2 for most of the longer stories and 4 for the short stories. At it's best, Conan possesses a sort of barbarian vitality mixed with the Weird Fiction feel of Lovecraft or Lord Dunsany. But at its worst - and its frequently at its worst - its a repetitive morass of rippling thews and giant muscles and evil Africans and Conan beating the shit out of everything with very little conflict or intrigue ...more
Android ereader 4 13 Jan 23, 2015 10:22AM
REIGN of Books Po...: Conan the Man 1 1 May 08, 2014 04:45AM
The Sword and Laser: Where is the best place to start in the Conan cannon? 10 317 Aug 06, 2012 06:59PM
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan the Rebel
  • The Sword of the Dawn (History of the Runestaff, #3)
  • Conan the Warlord
  • Flashing Swords! #1
  • Conan the Valorous
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

Conan the Barbarian (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Conan The Freebooter (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)
  • Conan the Buccaneer (Conan, #6)
  • Conan the Warrior (Book 7)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Conan the Conqueror