Start by marking “Brave Norman: A True Story” as Want to Read:
Brave Norman: A True Story

Brave Norman: A True Story

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Norman, a blind Labrador retriever, saves a girl from drowning in the ocean, in an exciting true story for beginning readers retold in simple language.
Published November 1st 2002 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Norman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Norman

Alexandria Hiam
Although Norman was old and blind he could still hear and he was a good dog. One day at the beach he heard a young girl calling for help because she was struggling to swim in the ocean. Norman was the only one to hear her and he went right out into the water to get her. The young girl was able to hold onto his tail and Norman saved her. Cute easy reader from the Pets to the Rescue series. Simple, easy to read text, level 1.
A
Cathy Smith
Aug 16, 2015 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. I liked this book for kids. It was about a dog in a shelter who got chosen, and then he went blind. But he still was a great pet, learning to do things with his own "guide dog". Then he saved a little girl out in the water. An awesome story, and one to read for everyone.
Catherine
This is a very exciting story to beginning readers. Definitely a good example of high interest/low level reading for ages about 6 to 9. A great resource for tutoring struggling readers.
Service Room 12
Mar 30, 2016 Service Room 12 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I like this book because Norman saved the little girl when she was stuck in the water. I like it because Lucy was kind to Norman. By Corinne
Ryan Treaster
Nov 19, 2008 Ryan Treaster rated it liked it
This book is an excellent book that features a dog acting as a hero. Norman was picked up at the shelter and loved by his family. Although Norman was going blind, the family still loved him. In the end, he becomes a hero and shows to children that even though you may be blind you can still be a hero.

Reading Level- Early
Curricular Uses- Read aloud or independent reading
Social Issues- talks about being brave and being a hero. Encourages children to realize that they an be anything even if they are
Heather
This is a nice little story about a blind dog that saves a girl from drowning. My two youngest boys loved it and I've read it several times to them. It was a somewhat easy read for my struggling reader but it gave him confidence and it was way more exciting than some of the other "easy readers" he's read. A much better fit for an older child who still needs something easy.
Lisa C
Mar 09, 2011 Lisa C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
What can I say? I'm a sucker for underdogs, heroes, and pet rescue stories. I bawled. Then I went out and booktalked it to anyone who would listen. And a few who didn't really want to.
Stephen Snyder
Jul 21, 2011 Stephen Snyder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Super True Story! I love this book and so have a lot of the students that I've shared it with. Incrible! Thank you Franklin Public Library for the loan.
Sheila
Sep 24, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A nice, true, children's story about a brave dog named Norman who saves a drowning child. One of several "Pet's to the Rescue" stories.
The CREATURE
Jan 10, 2012 The CREATURE rated it it was amazing
My favorite part was when Norman went in the beach water blind and saved the girl.
--Atiyah
Aug 03, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heroic dog with disabilities, what more could one want?
ReadingWench
Jan 30, 2013 ReadingWench rated it really liked it
Being blind cannot stop Norman.

AR 2.0
kate and lexi
Jun 18, 2012 kate and lexi rated it it was amazing
Lexi: "One of the best books I've ever read."
Grace
Beiza
Beiza added it
Feb 24, 2016
michelle murray
michelle murray marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Kristin Hardy
Kristin Hardy rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Library Project
Library Project marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
TessaMarie Beard
TessaMarie Beard marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
cj
cj added it
Dec 30, 2015
Lisa Kohlmyer
Lisa Kohlmyer marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Jenni
Jenni rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...