Start by marking “A Week in the Woods” as Want to Read:
A Week in the Woods

A Week in the Woods

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,509 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Mark Chelmsley IV has never felt truly at home anywhere. With only four months left in the fifth grade before he starts at an exclusive boarding school, Mark doesn't think it's even worth trying to settle in. What changes his mind is a Week in the Woods- the annual school camping trip. But even there, things go wrong. Mark covers for a friend and lands himself in Big Troub ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published September 3rd 2002 by Listening Library (first published January 1st 2002)

Jubilation Lee
Now, as some of you may know, I love Andrew Clements’ Frindle with all the pieces of my heart. It is magical. It is marvelous. I keep a copy on my "Love You Long Time" shelf at home, next to Redwall and These Old Shades and Daddy Long-Legs. That’s how fantastic it is.

A Week in the Woods... is not so fantastic.

It is, dare I say it, mediocre.

Mark is a smart loner child who moves to a new town and knows all the class material and doesn’t want to bother making friends since his uber-rich family wi
Adam J.
Dec 17, 2012 Adam J. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am starting this book and I really like it so far. The author does a great job getting the characters very realistic. The book is about a boy who is moving to New Hamshpire from San Francisco. So far he is in his new house exploring.this book is very realistic and I love it so far.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

elissa
All 4 of us in my family read this out loud together, for Generations_Read_Together. All of the Clements titles that I've read are good, and have great kid appeal, but he's definitely not my favorite as an adult!
Shae
Jan 11, 2011 Shae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to get in to!! Endind was awesome!!!!!
Evelynn
Sep 12, 2013 Evelynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has enjoyed Andrew Clements' other books.
Okay, in my opinion, this is Andrew Clements' best book! Truly! When I started out reading this, I figured it was going to be 4 stars. But it came out being five!

Throughout the book, Clements described in true detail Mark's thoughts and his surroundings. Though I usually find myself bored with a lot of description and thoughts and less dialogue, there was a balance. With this story it made sense, and it kept my attention well.

Also, I loved the fact that Clements focused on just Mark and Mr. Maxw
Harper Fiske
I really really love Andrew Clements. His books are so amazing and I can almost never find an author who writes mainly realistic fiction, my favorite genre. It was a pretty quick read, too. I read it in about a day, so it made a good action/adventure book in a time crunch.
Susan
Apr 06, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slmta
Good insights into what boys are thinking.
Marvelous description of the setting and characters.
A showdown between an 11-year-old and his teacher occurs at the start of an annual environmental program when they spend a week in a wooded state park.
David Marion
Dec 09, 2015 David Marion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book with a good storyline. Fun to listen to with a lot of interesting turns
Catherine1996
The fifth-grade Week in the woods is a beloved of tradition of Hardy Elementary,where Mark Chelmsley is pretty much killing time before his parents send him off to an exclusive prep school.But then Mark realizes the Week might be a chance to prove to Mr.Maxwell that he's not just another of the slacker rich kids the teacher can't stand.
But it may be too late change Mr.Maxwell's opinion of him.On the first day of the Week,the tension between teacher and student explodes,and in a reckless moment,M
Carol
Dec 18, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the next selection for my 5th grade son's book club. I get why they picked it, but I wish, if they wanted a Clements book, they'd have gone with Frindle, which is all-around a better book.

So the gist is that a rich kid ends up (unhappily) in a new school, where he's bored and not much interested in making friends because he knows it's a way-station and he doesn't belong. (Sad. Really.)

Enter a teacher, a grown man who should know better, who decides the kid is spoiled and then proceeds
J.D.Staton
Oct 11, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptionally thoughtful and respectful book about a preteen, gifted boy whose wealthy parents have long since abandoned him into the care of paid help, while they travel around the world attending to business affairs and various hobbies. At the start of the book, his parents callously yank him out of his school and home (yet again) forcing him to move across states, to their new home in rural New Hampshire. There, far away from the trappings of urban life, Mark begins to discover the beauty ...more
Sonya
Feb 17, 2015 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Andrew Clements in his book "A Week in the Woods" writes not just about a fifth-grade field trip, but a journey about biases, first-impressions, learning our own limits and conquering our weaknesses.

The fifth grade new-comer to the school needs a challenge, but also needs somewhere to belong. As he seeks to avoid boredom, he stumbles into nature and feels its call.

His fifth grade teacher thinks him to be a rich kid with no incentive until he forces his answer and finds that he is unchallenged. H
Auralia
Oct 25, 2007 Auralia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrenslit
Next to Frindle this one was one of my all time favorites. I was sucked into the story and loved the way that the kid was so enthused about survival skills that he actually researched the topic that interested him to the extent that he was able to not only save himself in the woods but his teacher as well.
Olivia Amann
If you have never got lost in a big place find out what it feels like to be lost for a whole week without a single person in the woods with you!!! READ THIS BOOK!!!
June
Aug 29, 2015 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my 5th grader. It took him a little while to get into it. However, he really got into it in the end. It provoked discussion too.
Erin Mullen
It was a really good book! i had to read it over summer vacation.
Kiefer Church
Aug 21, 2015 Kiefer Church rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book A WEEK IN THE WOODS by Andrew Clements was one of my favorite books. It's about a spoiled rich kid name Mark Chelmsley whose parents have half a million dollars and end up moving from the only place he loved to a small town in New Hampshire. Mark decided that he was not going to pay any attention in class. But one day his science teacher Mr.Maxwell decide that he was go to try to get Mark some friends and to lighten up a little bit but it doesn't work so after class Mr.Maxwell calls Ma ...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Clements is known for his school stories, and this one is no different.

This is a book about self-discovery and second chances through the novel's main character, Mark.

Mark is not a typical Clements sketch of a character, and yet he is at the same time. He is the stereotypical rich kid that gets a bad wrap. His parents are moving him to a new house, and a new school, and the last thing he wants to do is leave behind his friends.

If moving was not hard enough on Mark, he also has the label of "spo
Zia
Feb 04, 2014 Zia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book: A story with adventure, and learning about yourself in a tough time.

A new, very wealthy boy moves to a small town, where every year the grade (5th I think) goes on a camping trip. He is not well-accepted by his peers, and even the teacher has an attitude about this boy's wealthy, privleged background. The reality, however, is that this boy has been moved around a lot, never sees his parents, never goes camping with them, and yet thoroughly enjoys the outdoors.
He takes the rap for havi
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 Lisa Rathbun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story for the upper elementary age. I was interested in both Mr. Maxwell and Mark, and I liked how the author juxtaposed a chapter from the teacher's point of view with a chapter from Mark's. I like how Mark read Jack London, and a couple excerpts from his writing was included. I find it interesting that the author shows that someone might decide to change, but even if you do want to change, your former behavior may cause others to keep treating you based on how you acted before. The w ...more
Jill
Apr 11, 2013 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Mark has such an attitude and it finally changes near the end of the book.It gets very exiting when he is in the woods.
this book has a lot of adventure mark has a problem with his attitude at the beggining of the book mark starts to change his attitude.
mark is lucky he has his gear when he got hurt he blew his whistle. mr maxwell sees some thing in mark. mr maxwell in the begging of the book thinks mark is lazy and a slaker. mark is a slacker at the begginig but at the end mark changes. mark is
Patrick
Soccerplayah07
Apr 25, 2008 Soccerplayah07 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark's parents are wealthy. He is taken care of by a kind Russian couple who act as housekeepers and babysitters. Mark's life takes an unexpected turn: from New York and an elite private school to small town New Hampshire and a public school. His parents have bought 450 acres (1.8 km²) rural and expensively renovated an old farmhouse. Mark is sent to live there - by himself with the housekeepers - because there are "tax advantages" to establishing residency.

At his new school, Hardy Elementary, M
Susan
May 10, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Mark is a snobby, snotty rich kid whose parents don't have time for him. He's always had everything he wanted as soon as he asks for it. His parents decide to move to New Jersey out in the country by a small town. Mark has to attend the local school for a few months. Then summer will come and he'll go to different camps, and in the fall he'll go to the prestigious Runyon School. He enters 5th grade with a chip on his shoulder. The school is little and old. The students are country hicks. The cla ...more
Mary
I expected this book to be mostly an adventure story about a week in the woods, but in fact the danger and adventure cover about two chapters quite late in the book. Rather, the focus is on how fifth-grader, Mark Chelmsley, adjusts to a significant change in his life when he moves from Scarsdale, where he attends private school (as he has always done), to rural New Hampshire, where he is finishing out the year in a public school. Interestingly, although there's some misjudgment of New Hampshire ...more
zalatawabooks
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

I don't know why, but I'm just like reading my little siblings books these days. Probably because I have a monster of book waiting for me on my elibrary that I have to finish for the publishers.

Anyway, I like Andrew Clements's books. They are good for kids getting comfortable with chapter books in elementary. And the stories and characters are easily relateable and sensible, for a 5th grader in this case. A fun quick read, not bad:)
Emma Merrill
Apr 24, 2016 Emma Merrill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My class read it before we went to Kimball camp. I loved it a lot it was so awesome and a page turner Mr.Maxwell and Mark were so funny. This is how I feel about "A Week in the Woods" and camping.
Kerrie
Really enjoyed this book. It was even more fun because I love the outdoors and it makes you think of how you treat students as a teacher. Do we assume things that we shouldn't? Do we give students opportunities like this that they grow and thrive under? I just really enjoyed that the author included both the teacher and the student's perspectives and it definitely made me think. Very good book.
Amy
Dec 02, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, 2015
I didn't love this book. I didn't walk away from this book thinking, "Man, I need to share this with my students," and that makes me sad.

I really liked Mr. Maxwell. I thought he was a wonderful, passionate teacher. That is until he threw a major hissy fit because a child was acting moody, and I wanted to rip my audiobook from the dashboard and throw it at the imaginary character and scream, "That's not how teaching works!"
Heather
When my daughter needed to read a book in the "realistic fiction" genre, Andrew Clements is the author that immediately came to my mind. We've read a few books of his in the past, but A Week in the Woods was one we had missed. So it became her pick. This is a fun book, with a lot about camping and wilderness survival. And it is also about attitudes and passing judgement on people.

G
  • The Aurora County All-Stars
  • Zoobreak (Swindle, #2)
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • Emma Jean Lazarus Fell in Love
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • R My Name Is Rachel
  • Project Mulberry
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • National Geographic Readers: Volcanoes!
  • A Taste of Blackberries
  • This Is the Dream
  • Ida Early Comes over the Mountain
  • Riding Freedom
  • The Pinballs
  • The Winter People
  • The Boys Start the War (Boy/Girl Battle, #1)
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • The Elevator Family
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...