4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Alas, poor Satan. He's not happy. No one seems to like or understand him; people have got him all wrong. And his relationship with God is a hostile one. Unloved and misunderstood, he's come back to Earth in search of a psychotherapist; he's prepared- if cured- to deliver the all-important Great Answer.In Jeremy Leven's wildly original comic novel, we follow the Prince of D...more
Published November 21st 2000 by iUniverse (first published 1982)

Dave
Aug 14, 2012 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone
I read this book back in the 1980's when I was at university and only remember it now because and old photo of me emerged recently with my holding this book in my hand. I recall being both horrified, and yet extremely amused by the trials and tribulations of poor Dr Sy Kassler (Just Some Poor Schmuck) as he puts Satan though a series of increasingly odd psychotherapy sessions.

It's very Joseph Heller in its construction and in its hilariously downbeat view of the world. It's like a train-wreck in...more
Toby McMillen
This was a great read, one of these where I kept thinking, "What kinda crazy bastard would think up a plot like this?"
This book ran the gamut of emotions from absolute grief (I almost couldn't even read the bits about the way Kassler's ex-wife treated him, and the shit with the kids, it was so fucking sad), to hilarity.
As always with me, I enjoy another non-church look at God & the Devil, as fascinating a topic as there ever has been.
Mark
Innovative, inspired, beautifully constructed, informative and, on occasions, hitting like a sledgehammer, Satan is a terrific book and I strongly recommend it. There is a an old tee shirt from the seventies which shows a dog. An eye patch, a broken leg, scratches and cuts everywhere, a floppy ear, staring straight into space.

The caption underneath? "Answers to the name of Lucky".

This is Sy Kassler, the protagonist in Jeremy Leven's book. If it can go wrong, it will do. Everything he does inex...more
Ted Burke
No one has ever done a subtler or a more devastating send up of the psychiatric/psychology industry, nor have many been able to insinuate sly philosophical digressions into a frothing satiric text with such grace and pacing. This satan, faceless, locking himself inside a computer in a public gallery, has the charm to coax a snake out of new skin. The complications are wonderfully wild and orchestrated, and Kassler's travails as a single dad trying to rekindle a relationship with his children are...more
NaiNai
By page 10, I was thinking the main character was a poor bastard. By page 50, I figured his life had hit rock bottom. From page 50 to page 476, I kept thinking, "okay, now he's hit rock bottom". Then It Got Worse.

That book has consumed something like 7 hours of my life I will never get back.

I was promised a funny story about a dude trying to cure Satan. Instead, I got...this.
Meghan
Very humorous but at times depressing. I enjoyed it quite a bit...not for younger readers.
Katie Lynn
LCPL Lake County (IN) Public Library
by Jereby Leven
“A wonderful, amusing story of Sy Kassler who, after a series of unfortunate events, ends up counseling a computer which may or may not be the embodiment of Satan. Although at times Dr. Kassler’s story is tragic (indeed, the “J.S.P.S.” in the title stands for “just some poor schmuck”), the book has an overall darkly comedic tone and explores concepts such as good & evil, psychotherapy itself, and history...more
Rebekkila
The book was very entertaining, but now what I expected. I thought the book would be about Satan whining to his therapist about how misunderstood he is, but it turned out to be a story about Satan toying with his therapist. Satan... was written in the seventies, a decade I know little about, and the attitude toward sex, divorce and family life are so different from today's that I think it interfered with my enjoyment of the story. I found it hard to feel in sympathy for Dr. Kassler because he se...more
Sandy
This book is literally the embodiment of everything I ever look for in books ever all in a mere 496 pages. Words cannot even begin to describe how wildly I praise this novel to everyone I know who'll bother to listen to my happy banter, haha. This is my all time favorite, and I'll definitely be revisiting it sometime in the near future. To those of you who haven't read it yet: Be prepared for several moments in which you'll catch yourself thinking "This is so messed up," because believe me, I di...more
Jennifer  Sciolino-Moore
There was nothing profound or pithy about this book. The protagonist was unrealistic and by the middle, I'd strained a muscle in my eyebrows from the eye rolls. Completely predictable, incredibly boring and maudlin. Blech.
Susan
Hard to read through, but worthwhile.
Todd
Don't be fooled by the title, just be careful where you read it. Though a flawed novel, it's one of my personal favorites. Witty and thought-provoking, Leven's book is a great ride, not to mention a nice little primer on the history of psychotherapy and the various misdeeds of Popes throughout the last two millennium.

Finally, this story of Satan (returning to earth to seek some counseling for the bum rap he felt he's been dealt by mankind) and Dr. Kassler (just some poor schmuck (JSPS) he gets...more
Rosalind Kabrhel
If you can find this book, read it. I chose this book from the library back in the early 90's because its dustcover stood out....no other reason.....but I loved it. Despite being dated, the plot is creative and funny, and unlike any other book I've read since. My husband really enjoyed it as well. I have never seen the book in a bookstore or a library since I checked it out - maybe the book chose the reader this time. Hmmmm....
Nicholas
Nov 16, 2007 Nicholas rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone
Don't know where to begin with this one. It was brilliant on every level. I've always been a sucker for the "create a lovable character and then make them suffer untold amounts of shit" scenario - and this has that is spades I tell you. It is a devilish satire, biting social commentary, rich with allegory and very very imaginative. It's a hard sell - but I think you'll be rewarded in the end. I know I was.
Glenn
One of my all time favorites! As good the 2nd time around as the first, and I'm ready to read it again. A sly indictment of those who seem to believe all human emotions can be dealt with in logical terms (oh, if all facets of the human psyche were only that easy to pin down!) and those who spend their lives trying to please others.
I highly recommend this one, absolutely.
Melissa
Feb 24, 2007 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: lovers of irreverance
Shelves: funfiction
The initial premise--that Satan has come seeking therapy--is interesting and leads to some funny situations. But it changed tone as it went along, and became much more fatalistic at the end. Some funny commentary about religion, psychotherapy, and human nature; however, the ending seemed forced.
Sabrina
This pushed the envelope to the limit. The sex in this thing was off the hook. The main character went through a hell that I pray is only a fiction and I couldn't get put my all into this book. Overall it is a hot mess and not in the Jerry Springer type either.
Michelle
Another book whose title sums it up - except for the computer element (I'll let you discover that on your own). Its a truly unique book that engrossed me. The narrative structure took a little while to get used to but it is well worth it. Poor Dr. Kassler...
Adina Licht
This is a cheeky read. I read it many years ago and really enjoyed it. It is fun and playful and a little thinky sci-fi. Imagine if Satan were your therapist with a similar tone and spirit of the lovely Good Omens.
Felicia
Was searching our bookshselves today and found this. Joe bought it at a library book sale in Fremont, CA in 1998. He never read it -- but this Faustish book looks like my next read. 180 degree from Three Cups of Tea.
Alison
This was recommended to me by an English Professor after reading Dante's Inferno. I was pretty shocked at first by the sexual content but it is a hilarious dark comedy. It actually made me read Inferno again.
Jeff Phillips
Glasgowchivas
A hopeless romantic psychotherapist is gifted a house by a man who set out to ruin his life. In the basement he finds an intelligent machine: it's name? Satan.

BoekenTrol
Nov 06, 2011 BoekenTrol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: Moem
From one of the book boxes that Moem sent to me. This one I'd like to read before sending it out again, so I guess it'll stay with me for a while.
Nathan
A brilliant, hilarious, tragic, insightful, and very strange story, about Satan, his therapy, and the unfortunate man he chooses to be his shrink.
Kyla
so far there sure is alot of sex and not much psychotherapy....and it ended with less sex...but finishing it was a struggle.
Colleen
What an amazing find at our local library book sale! I can't believe it isn't better known.
Brett Van Valkenburg
My favorite book of all time. It's a mixture of humor, sci-fi, and crazy drama. Loved it.
Pamela
One of the most entertaining books I've ever read (and retread numerous times!).
  • Omega Minor
  • Saraswati Park
  • The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1
  • The Forbidden Best-Sellers of Pre-Revolutionary France
  • The Bug
  • The Middleman and Other Stories
  • Trimalchio: An Early Version of The Great Gatsby
  • A Breath of Life
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. F: The Twentieth Century & After
  • The Walk (Extraordinary Classics)
  • Ice Road
  • God's Eye
  • A Vision
  • Het fantoom van Alexander Wolf
  • A Kind of Loving
  • Portrait Of An Artist, As An Old Man
  • The Heat of the Sun
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: and Other Stories
Jeremy C. Leven (born 1941) is an American screenwriter, director, producer, and novelist. Born in South Bend, Indiana, Leven lives in Woodbridge, Connecticut, Nantucket, and Paris. Son of children's author Marcia Martin.

Leven was educated at St. John's College in Annapolis, Maryland, Harvard University, the University of Connecticut and Yale University Medical School. While at Harvard he founded...more
More about Jeremy Leven...
Creator De duivelskunstenaar Say Chic: A Collection of French Words We Can't Live Without Say Chic: A Collection of French Words We Can't Live Without Creator M