Start by marking “A Midnight Carol: A Novel of How Charles Dickens Saved Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Midnight Carol: A Novel of How Charles Dickens Saved Christmas

A Midnight Carol: A Novel of How Charles Dickens Saved Christmas

1843, London. Though the approaching Christmas looks bleak at the home of the Dickens family, Charles and his pregnant wife Catherine try to maintain a good cheer for their four young children. Debts are mounting, food is scarce, and Charles' books-according to his miserly publisher-are no longer selling.

The Charles has an idea, which comes to him in the ghostly form of Ol
Published November 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Midnight Carol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Midnight Carol

Pixelflocke
Das Buch war ein absoluter Zufallsgriff aus der Bibliothek. Ich hatte Lust auf eine schöne, atmosphärische Weihnachtsgeschichte und genau das habe ich auch bekommen.
Erzählt wird wie Charles Dickens 1843 "A Christmas Carol" schrieb und damit seinem Land Weihnachten zurückgab. Darin verwoben ist die Geschichte um den jungen Benjamin Newborn, der selbst wie eine Mischung aus Dickens berühmten Jungenfiguren wirkt.
Davis schreibt sehr angenehm, das Buch lässt sich ruckzuck lesen. Die Charaktere sind w
John
Feb 28, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really quite delightful short novel based on a very fanciful -- Dickensianly fanciful, in fact -- account of the writing and publication of A Christmas Carol.

Dickens is immensely broke. His wife Catherine is expecting yet another addition to the family. His books haven't been selling -- the most recent, Martin Chuzzlewit, was a complete disaster. He's pretty certain his publishers, Squib & Ledrook, have been cheating him. Thomas Carlyle thinks his friend Charley should give up this fiction
Rebecca
Nov 24, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-themed
I really liked this book. I must admit I am a Charles Dickens fan. I am also a Christmas Carol fan, so to read this seemed like I was going to like it no matter what. I really like retellings or sequels to classical pieces, too.

With that said, this tale of the story behind the writing and publishing of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol was quite entertaining. I liked that there were enough factual elements from Dickens life that I found the author and story creditable. Since I have taught high s
Mona Randall
Nov 28, 2016 Mona Randall rated it it was amazing
Bravo! It is a great read, highly recommended, especially if you are a Dickens fan.
Laurel Bradshaw
A small book and a quick read. A little history, biography, mystery, comedy. What's not to like?

Book Description from Amazon
It was the bleakest winter of Charles Dickens's life. In 1843, with his most recent books bringing in almost no income and his wife pregnant with their fifth child, Dickens had to face facts. Only an innate sense of courage could make him risk losing everything and result in one of the greatest literary gifts ever given to the world: the magical A Christmas Carol.

In Patrici
Anne
Dec 29, 2008 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a nice Christmas read.
I had heard the story of Dickens's writing of "A Christmas Carol" before, and was surprised and happy to find a book that tells the tale. This was a likable and pleasant book to read on a quiet afternoon. I enjoyed the characters, and the references to the Dickens characters and plot elements were entertaining. Some of the writing was just a little weak, but overall the book was interesting, and somewhat fact-based. The way the author tied in Robert Peel's adoption of a street orphan was ...more
Pjbookhoarder
Feb 01, 2016 Pjbookhoarder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun and interesting holiday read. I really enjoyed this book and it will remain on my holiday "keepers" shelf to re-read. Well researched, this is a reimagining of Dickens private life, family life, as well as financial life (on the verge of penury before publishing A Christmas Carol) leading up to his writing and publication of A Christmas Carol which almost wasn't published at all. This book is a charmer and perfect for the holiday season. It really brought Mr. Dickens alive for me.
Lisa
Jul 22, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
This book was very much a surprise for me! I am not a Charles Dickens enthusuast, and I usually only read his books begrudgingly. However, this story was so throughly enjoyable, and easy to read that I could not put it down. It was also fun to go through and pick out the elements of the famous story, A Christmas Carol, and yet see them through different contexts, which inturn changed their appreciation and understanding. I would highly recommend this book.
Ade
Dec 01, 2010 Ade rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story about a wonderful story. A midnight Carol tells the story of the writing of A Christmas Carol and how it very nearly didn't get published. This is a book I would suggest that anyone who has a special place in their hearts for The Carol should read. I enjoyed every moment of reading it nd fully intend to reread this year.
Dee Anne
Feb 17, 2009 Dee Anne rated it really liked it
I don't know how true this really is, but I enjoyed it. It was a good before Christmas read. It made me appreciate Dickens that much more realizing what really went on behind the writing of A Christmas Carol. It appears that we all have our darkest moments, and I hope to make something bright and beautiful come from mine too.
Pat
Dec 31, 2010 Pat rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Charles Dickens and I thought this book gave good insight into his life. A Chirstmas Carol is my favorite Dickens book and I feel this was an interesting interpretation of how it may have come about. Very entertaining.
Jenny
Oct 29, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
I borrowed this from a classmate years ago. It was almost vacation, and I was looking for something to free my mind from the remaining days of academic torture. It was also December I think. I never understood how perfect the timing was until I read the book.
Rich
Jan 03, 2011 Rich rated it really liked it
Very Interesting Book. Started slow, but finished strong. I had no idea of Dickens' financial woes when the book was writted, and found it amazing that he wrote the whole thing in six weeks!
Great book for the holiday season.
Marilyn
Oct 08, 2008 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Fictionalized account of how Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol." A fun read for anyone who loves Dickens and his world. I wish the author had told readers which parts were fact and which were fiction.
Robyn
Dec 08, 2010 Robyn rated it really liked it
This was a great christmas book. a novel written about charles dickens writing a christmas carol and it was quite wonderful.
Kim
Dec 08, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
It took me a little while to get stated on this book, but the characters were delightful. I found it very entertaining. Fun for Christmas.
Feb 18, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I'm sure I would've liked this more if I'd been in a different mood. It's a little too sentimental-seeming right now.
Emrie
Mar 02, 2009 Emrie rated it liked it
I learned that the song about "oranges and lemons said the bells of St. Clemens" has been around since the time of Dickens - Eli and I sing this in the car off of one of our kid's CDs.
Susie
Oct 18, 2007 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, easy read. Great way to put yourself in the Christmas spirit!
Cori Anderson
Cori Anderson rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2011
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2011
Jen Shuck
Jen Shuck rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2009
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Stephy
Stephy rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2007
Cait Poytress
Cait Poytress rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2009
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2009
Barb
Barb rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Wiebke Kuhn
Wiebke Kuhn rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Detective and Mr. Dickens
  • The D. Case or The Truth About The Mystery Of Edwin Drood
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • The Golden Ring: A Touching Christmas Story about Giving, Faith, Love, and Loss
  • A Regency Christmas IV
  • A Regency Christmas Eve
  • Fixing Shadows
  • A Regency Christmas V
  • Over to Candleford
  • A Regency Christmas I
  • Miss Davenport's Christmas
  • Dickens' Fur Coat and Charlotte's Unanswered Letters: The Rows and Romances of England's Great Victorian Novelists
  • Christmas with Anne and Other Holiday Stories