Start by marking “The Gingerbread Boy” as Want to Read:
The Gingerbread Boy

The Gingerbread Boy

"Run run run as fast as you can. You can't catch me! I'm the gingerbread man."

In this modern retelling of a nursery classic, Caldecott-winning illustrator Richard Egielski adds an urban twist to a well-loved tale. This time, the gingerbread boy is on the loose in New York City, and he taunts everyone from construction workers to subway musicians, until his fateful chase th
Published August 22nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Gingerbread Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gingerbread Boy

Gingerbread Baby by Jan BrettThe Gingerbread Boy by Paul GaldoneThe Gingerbread Boy by Richard EgielskiThe Gingerbread Girl by Lisa Campbell ErnstThe Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup
Picture Books About Gingerbread Man
3rd out of 91 books — 5 voters
Creepy Carrots! by Aaron ReynoldsAdventure Annie Goes to Kindergarten by Toni BuzzeoAnansi's Party Time by Eric A. KimmelAnother Brother by Matthew CordellBow-wow Wiggle-Waggle by Mary Newell DePalma
2014 Name That Book K-2
10th out of 30 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle Doerr
My 2 year old really liked this story and I think it is a great remake of an old folklore. I gave this book 3 stars because I think the illustrations are wonderful and full of action, but I think the theme should be more blunt. This is a folklore book intended for nursery and primary readers. This is the classic story of the gingerbread cookie that escapes from his maker after being cooked. This newer version, made in 1997, is set in the city versus a cottage in the woods. Also, as he is running ...more
Michelle Warner
Oct 12, 2015 Michelle Warner rated it it was amazing

Title: italicize The Gingerbread Boy

Author: Richard Egielski
Illustrator: Richard Egielski
Genre: European Folktale
Theme(s): Holidays, Baking, Trickery
Opening line/sentence: There was once a woman and a man who had no children.
Brief Book Summary: This book tells the classic story of the Gingerbread Man (“boy”), as a man and woman who had no children baked him. After he came out of the oven, he jumped out of the window and ran down the street from the two. Throughout the book, he runs through
RLL22016_MarinaVasquez
A young couple ends up making a gingerbread cookie, which the wife decorates it to look like a boy. However, once it gets out of the oven he jumps and runs out the window saying run run as fast you can; you'll never catch me I am the gingerbread man. He ends up running throughout the city and passes many people along that want to eat him, which he ends up keeps on repeating " run run as fast as you can; you'll never catch me I am the gingerbread man. Until he reaches a fox that helps him across ...more
Ally Copper
“The Gingerbread Boy” by Richard Egielski is a retelling of the classic fairy tale about the Gingerbread Man, who runs away from the woman who baked him and a pig (and many other animals) who want to eat him, all the while shouting, “Run, run as fast as you can. You can’t catch me. I’m the Gingerbread Man.” In this retelling, the Gingerbread Boy runs through the streets of New York City. He is chased by the married couple who baked him, a rat, construction workers, some musicians, and a policema ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Dec 10, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
In a hilariously reinvented fairy tale, a modern New York couple decide that, since they have no children, the wife will make a gingerbread boy. Their Manhattan tenement fills with the sweet aroma until the gingerbread boy leaps from oven and out the window. Although they plead with him to come back, he throws back the traditional taunt: "Run run run as fast as you can. You can't catch me! I'm the Gingerbread Man." The two tumble down the fire escape in hot pursuit, and the chase begins. Along h ...more
Spencer Gold
Nov 07, 2011 Spencer Gold rated it really liked it

I like Egielski's modern take on the Bingerbread story. He updated the story with an urban twist to it. He kept the same premise of a lonely lady making a boy out of gingerbread and to her surprise he turns into the sarcastic gingerbread man. In this version we follow him through New York City as he evades different characters that were stereotypical to the city. For me being a NEw Yorker it was perfect! I enjoyed seeing all the familiar sites. I thought his illustrations reminded me of a comic
Shelby Deghand
Feb 25, 2015 Shelby Deghand rated it really liked it
This is a play off the classic ginger bread man story, but a modern version. I really liked how the gingerbread man get to visit all these people at their real jobs in the city. Also, that makes it more interesting to read because you never know who he will meet yet.
Jamie E
Mar 23, 2016 Jamie E rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations depicting the Gingerbread Boy's escape through New York City make this a great update of a classic story. The call and response of the "Run, Run, as fast as you can" rhyme is also very useful for a storytime environment.
Connie
Sep 14, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
Books set in our own city (NYC) are a real treat for us!

It's great to see the Gingerbread Boy pass by people we might pass by, go places we might go (I recognize that train station, by the way!), do things that we might like to do (like climb on the scaffolding - my nieces would love to do that!).

The story is just the same as the original except for the setting, and the Gingerbread Boy getting eaten... well, it's very satisfyingly written. Mmm.

A note about the artwork, the illustrations are very
Marquita Davis
Dec 01, 2015 Marquita Davis added it
Shelves: folk
This is a funny story. It would be good for a kindergarten class. The photos are nice.
Michele
Jun 11, 2016 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is my absolute favorite version of this book!
Liz Todd
Dec 12, 2015 Liz Todd rated it really liked it
My copy is withdrawn from the NYPL!
Dec 10, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite versions!
Charlotte
Dec 07, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I bought this book when I was teaching second grade in the inner-city. The kids back then LOVED IT because they could relate to the drawings of the Gingerbread Boy running throughout the city. Now it is in my Christmas Collection of books for my kids. For some reason, my 2 1/2 year old daughter is in love with this book. Maybe it's the baking of coolies, maybe she likes the illustrations, but we are reading it EVERY NIGHT of this holiday season! :)
Sunny
Jul 16, 2008 Sunny rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this book. The reason? It's based in NY! I have to get this book for our family. The gingerbread boy is baked in an tiny oven in a tiny apartment, escapes through down the fire escape, runs into a RAT (another thing NY is famous for), past construction workers, musicians in the SUBWAY, into a zoo, and is gobbled up by a sly wolf.

You should really check this book out the next time you're at the library!
Allison
Apr 06, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Oops! I reviewed the wrong book at first!!

I forgot how gruesome this story was! As we read together, Jordan would have fun searching for the Gingerbread Boy on every page, and liked quoting with him, "You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!" BUT (Spoiler Alert!!), when he meets his ultimate doom she seemed completely blindsided. Poor kid.
Melissa Valdez
A good story that is enjoyable whether the first time reading it, like myself, or if you continue to read it time after time. This folk story/ fairy tale encompasses plenty of descriptive pictures that capture a child's imagination. This thought provoking story allows children to think of who is trustworthy.
Kynshasa Mcdaniel
Oct 14, 2013 Kynshasa Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales, chant
This book is an updated version of the classic gingerbread man story. I like the repetitiveness of the story allowing children to join in at varies parts to tell the story. I would use this book to get the group involved by using sound effects and saying I'm the gingerbread man at the correct times in the book.
Mary
Dec 19, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! It is a great version of the classic Gingerbread Man story that takes place in New York City. It has beautiful illustrations and is particularly great to read to inner city children because they can really relate to the setting (it has the subway, street musicians, etc).
Tasia
The urban setting of this retelling is a fun twist! The kids liked it for our unit on the Gingerbread Man stories where we emphasized repetition of themes, refrains, and compared the texts we read.
Jessica
Jan 28, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great book because, it reveals a moral and lesson about over confidence, and how sometimes that can lead us to think to much about certain situations, and let us misguides us.
Chrissy
Dec 17, 2008 Chrissy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Updated version of the Gingerbread Man. Love the illustrations. Has several pages without text. I would have loved looking at this book as a kid. Good for grades 1-3.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book for Kodaly trained Music educators for teaching fast and slow! It is a very nice variation and my "city kids" can really relate to the content.
Sandra Vicars
Oct 30, 2011 Sandra Vicars rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
The typical story of the Gingerbread Boy. The illustrations are interesting with lots of detail. Kids will have fun chasing the gingerbread boy through the streets.
Whitney Zollman
Dec 05, 2012 Whitney Zollman rated it really liked it
This is a new version of The Gingerbread Boy that grabs the attention of young children. I have always loved this book, and I really like the new version!
Tricia
Feb 16, 2008 Tricia rated it really liked it
basically the same text as original but updated a bit, this gingerbread boy runs through NYC, ending his life in Central Park, courtesy of the fox.
Dayna
Aug 21, 2008 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
I liked that the illustrations seemed to set this story in NYC.
Kelly
  • The Gingerbread Cowboy
  • Gingerbread Friends
  • Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • Oh, Were They Ever Happy!
  • Oink?