Start by marking “Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight” as Want to Read:
Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight

Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When Hillary was young, she wanted to be an astronaut, to soar as high as the stars above. She kept reaching up and up as she grew. There were people who told her no. But she didn't listen to them. There were people who didn't think she could do it. But she believed in herself. And Hillary has been making history ever since. This is the inspiring story of a girl with dream ...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hillary Rodham Clinton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hillary Rodham Clinton

Ruth
As a young girl, Hillary Rodham dreamed of being an astronaut. Although life would ultimately take her down a different path, her dreams served her well later in life. In Hillary Rodham Clinton: Dreams Taking Flight, author Kathleen Krull and illustrator Amy June Bates share the story of a little girl who followed her dreams and became an inspiration to millions of women of all ages.

Beautiful watercolor art and inspiring quotations accompany Krull’s writing. We follow Hillary through her early e
Robyn Schaefer
I came upon this “ultra-modern” picture book biography while browsing the nonfiction section of my local library. The cover is great -- a young, freckled Hillary, staring up at the sky, looking wise beyond her years. Based on the topic and cover, I was expecting big things from this book. Unfortunately, I have to say it did NOT deliver.

I enjoyed the beginning, which portrayed Hillary as a young girl, and couldn’t help but chuckle when Hillary lost for president of her junior class and the boy s
Emily Ann Meyer
This was a gift from a dear friend who knows what a strong supporter of Hillary I am. It was adorable, inspiring, and I would recommend to any mother (or father) of a daughter (or son!) about doing what you believe and not taking no for an answer. I'll treasure it.
529_allie
Hillary Rodham Clinton grew up during a time that girls weren't allowed to do everything that boys were. After writing to the national space agency to volunteer she found out that girls could not be astronauts. Undeterred and with the never ending support of her parents, she continued to go after her dreams. Hillary was a star student and a natural leader. When running for vice president of her class a boy said she was "really stupid if she thought a girl could be elected president." It seems th ...more
Kara Walker
This children's book tells the story of Hilary Rodham Clinton's rise to power in American politics. As a young child, Hilary always wanted to be an astronaut, but it was only 1961 and women still couldn't take certain jobs. Throughout her school years she was a great debater and “In high school she was elected vice president of her junior class. But when she ran for president, she lost. One of the boys she ran against said she was ‘really stupid if she thought a girl could be elected president.' ...more
Nance
A good story about girls and never giving up.
Samantha
Great information that is incredibly inspiring with read aloud text, though the heart of the book is in the Flying Facts section (notes on the text) included in the back matter.

Watercolor, gouache, and pencil artwork is beautiful and really captures Clinton's physical features, but also her spirit.

A list of sources is also included in the back matter and denotes which sources are for young readers. Recommended for grades 3-5+.
Autumn
May 06, 2014 Autumn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I hope we will be revisiting this book during the next presidential election season...!
Rusti
1 copy
Ginger
The primary text of this book is written simply, for children, and is fanciful, if not fictional. However, a very well conceived, concise appendix provides a linear narrative of her life, fleshing out some details, primarily those that put Clinton in a favorable light. Her participation in policy making during her husband's presidency is discussed; his infidelity and her way of coping with it is not.
I'm a big fan of Kathleen Krull & picture book biographies, but this one was too simplistic. There was very little meaningful content for someone not already familiar with Hillary Rodham Clinton's life. Lovely illustrations, and a good amount of information at the end, however the story itself did not live up to my expectations.
Caleb
Clinton is disturbingly cute—hot, even—in this awful, awful story book of her bio, each two-page spread of which ends with an awkwardly grafted-on random inspirational saying.

Like the Obama bio picture book, this too is still better than Megan McCain's My Dad, John McCain.
Leslie Lee
Hillary Rodhams Clinton By Kathleen Krull 2008 is a biography of the life of Hillary Rodham Clinton. It describes her life as a child up through her run for president. It also mentions along the way all the roadblocks she faced against women.
Leia
I liked this book. I have two daughters and it's important to me that they have wonderful role models. This book doesn't go too deep into Hillary's life, but touches on high points. My daughters enjoyed reading it with me.
Liliane
This is a nice biography of Hillary Rodham Clinton. I believe that this book would be of good use to elementary school children since it has beautiful illustrations that go along with Hillary's story.
Jennifer Nydahl
Genre: Biography
Copyright: 2008

Definitely more on the cheesy side of the biography genre. It was okay, but lacked any real substance that would cause the reader to be drawn to the character.
Heather Johnston
This was a short biographical sketch about Hilary's life. It told about her early life, life as first lady, and life as senator.

CO: 2008

Genre: Biography
Nina
Dec 27, 2010 Nina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers
A wonderful picture book based on the life of Hillary Rodham Clinton shows her fight as a woman to become something in order to help others.
Rob
Rob added it
Jan 16, 2015
Maria Veras-roberts
Maria Veras-roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Amit Batra
Amit Batra marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez The Boy on Fairfield Street The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny)