Start by marking “Maggie's Tree” as Want to Read:
Maggie's Tree

Maggie's Tree

1.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
It was supposed to be "a lovely break." As their mutual friend Helena is the toast of Broadway, stand-up comedian Cissie O'Brien, who is the nation's darling with her popular television series, decides to take the beautiful and troubled actress Maggie Salt to New York to see her. But Maggie, a destructive whirlpool of a personality, is cracking up fast and on arrival she s ...more
Published April 28th 2008 by Orion Books (first published October 12th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Maggie's Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maggie's Tree

Nenette
Mar 01, 2010 Nenette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story is about Maggie who suffered a bout of depression on the way from London to New York . She was with her friend Cissie. In New York , Maggie got lost and got “rescued” in a bar by Michael, a man that was described as being a magnet of quite insane people. While with Michael, Maggie miscarried (she was 5 months pregnant). Michael brought her to the hospital and informed her friends of her whereabouts – he thought Maggie’s name was Helena Cassidy – this is the name Maggie gave to her afte ...more
Joanna Fulton
Apr 17, 2010 Joanna Fulton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to pack as many adjectives as possible into a sentence doesn't make for good reading. I couldn't even get past the first few chapters it annoyed me so much.
Sharon Burgin
Mar 01, 2016 Sharon Burgin rated it did not like it
I never give up on a book, I always struggle on with it, except this time. I gave up after 20 pages. As much as I love reading, and having an eclectic taste in books, I was not going to waste my life on this.

I don't know whether Julie Walters has ever been clinically depressed but it seemed like she was trying to show what it was like and not in a very useful way. Far too many adjectives and unlikable characters.

Sorry, life's too short to fight through this.
Liz Chapman
Aug 10, 2014 Liz Chapman rated it did not like it
I struggled to give this book even one star. I think Julie Walters is a fabulous actress and should stick to that . She is not an author ! The book did not have a comprehensive story line , the characters only half formed and a lot of the back ground story was missing. The book was written from Julie's head and not looked at from an outsiders point of view. A good book reads like a film in your head even if it is a classic or complicated plot. There was a good story there but it was hidden and a ...more
Sue Shone
Mar 21, 2014 Sue Shone rated it did not like it
This was shamefully bad. Did no-one read it before publishing it? The characters are incomplete and never engender empathy, the story convoluted and rambling. Maggie is clearly unwell but we don't know why, the other characters or so one dimensional they are almost opaque - with the exception of Michael.There is nothing to redeem this book and I urge you not to read it.
Dannielle Marriott
Feb 08, 2015 Dannielle Marriott marked it as to-read
I couldn't finish this book, I barely got in to it at all. I was tempted to carry on but wasn't sure so checked on here for reviews and decided it wasn't worth it. Such a shame. I'm really intrigued as to what actually happens in this book if anyone read the whole book and can tell me please email me to danniellemarriott@hotmail.co.uk as I want to know but can't bear to read any more.
Emma
Feb 24, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it
I really really struggled to read this book and even now if you asked me what happens I wouldn't be able to fill you in. I was given this book as I'd run out if stuff to read and to be blunt, I'd have rather read nothing at all. Quite disappointing.
Tracey
Jan 18, 2014 Tracey rated it did not like it
I didn't actually finish this book - the 1st time that has ever happened. I found the writing confusing & hard to follow at times. I had high expectations of this book as a fan of Julie Walters but unfortunately I was left disappointed.
Naqib
Jun 18, 2013 Naqib rated it did not like it
currently i am reading the first chapter and i am inclined to just read the last page and move on to another novel... walters' choice of words was okay and this story has a nice idea but the constant change of point of view makes the readers grow tired of it. the plot was messy and there are some part of the dialogue which are "unpolished". i have a strong feeling to put the story off and move on. but, maybe i'll just give this book another 2 or 3 chapter and decide.
Judith Yeabsley
Jul 20, 2012 Judith Yeabsley rated it it was ok
I was curious as to whether a great actress could also be a great author. The question was unfortunately answered way too quickly. NO.
The book is trying to be literary and clever but ends up being disjointed and frustrating. I was confused so much of the time and wanted so much to give up. Just as I was about to throw it back on the pile the storyline picked up a little but then dragged itself back into a foggy mess.
Lots of promise and little delivery.
Catherine
Nov 23, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-liked
This was a quick read. It moved at a rapid pace and jumped from one person's point of view to another's. The story of British friends who are in New York. One of them has significant mental illness and the others aren't too healthy either.

Reviewers on amazon didn't like the fast moving pace or the jumping story without a significant ending but I thought it helped the reader to have some insight into the way life was for the characters.
Nicki
I actually thought I was going to enjoy this in the first few chapters, but I really disliked all the dialogue between Maggie's friends. I was interested in the main character but not enough to keep reading. Maybe this would be better as an audiobook or a film/TV drama? I love Julie Walters as an actor and I feel a bit naughty for not liking her novel. Is that a bit silly?
Margaret
Aug 13, 2013 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Confused and how. I managed to finish it, but remained confused. it hopped about between characters rather randomly. I couldn`t relate to any of them and Maggie was completely off her trolley or would that be `Up a gum tree??` Didn`t understand the title. I think Julie Walters should stick to what she does best,..acting. ...more
ah li
Apr 26, 2012 ah li rated it it was ok
I absolutely adore Julie Walters, but it was a little struggle for me to get through the story. In all honesty, I picked up the book and persisted to finish the book because of Julie Walters and I try my best not to leave the story halfway. But good story idea, probably needs a little more polishing.

Manda
This is so not my thing - firstly, it was very confusing from the off - random people doing random things at some random time that probably isn't contemporary (no mobiles); secondly, in the short bit I read, I really dislkied almost every character mentioned. I'm passing this one on.
Sharon Buesnel
May 07, 2011 Sharon Buesnel rated it liked it
A bit deep & dark. Not at all the type of story you would have expected Julie Walters to write. Perhaps it was me but I felt the story was a left a little open at the end. Also I haven't been able to grasp what the title actually meant with relation to the story.
Jb62
Dec 30, 2013 Jb62 rated it did not like it
I did not complete this book. I found the writing and storyline very disjointed. I could also not relate to the characters at all.
Frances Bell
May 07, 2011 Frances Bell rated it did not like it
This was so difficult to read. No doubt that's what it's like being inside the mind of somebody who's totally round the bend but it makes a crappy book. I skipped whole pages in the second half of the book... it didn't improve as it went on.
Susanna
May 27, 2008 Susanna rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, because I admire Julie Walters so much. It's a good story, but it's not a novel. I think it would work best as a screenplay - the characters on the page lack things like depth and background, which acting could overcome.
Kay Wells
Feb 23, 2014 Kay Wells rated it did not like it
As it was Julie Walters i was intrigued by the book content. But after a few chapters in was not too impressed. I persevered to the end but did not really enjoy this read.
Jennie Smith
Awful. There's not much else I can say about this book. I nearly gave up half way through but I thought it might get better so I persevered. I wish I hadn't bothered.
June Jurmann
May 25, 2013 June Jurmann rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting read. A cold, emotionally frozen group of characters and a glimpse into their respective madness, each struggling with their demons alone.
Amy Sahely
Sep 09, 2012 Amy Sahely rated it did not like it
It was barely interesting enough to finish. It took me a LONG time to read. The idea was not bad, but it was slow going. The characters just were not that interesting.
Joyce Clark
Jul 15, 2013 Joyce Clark rated it liked it
Quite dark and depressing in parts. Well written but not what I expected from Julie Walters as her image is very jolly.
Jude
May 17, 2008 Jude rated it did not like it
This book is absolutely dreadful in my opinion - but please make up your own mind by all means!!!!
Gill
Jun 19, 2013 Gill rated it it was ok
I stopped reading because I think I've read it before.
Vicky
Apr 25, 2012 Vicky rated it did not like it

Couldn't make myself finish it.
Alison Gray
OMG the biggest pile of poo Ive ever read!
Gill
Aug 25, 2012 Gill rated it did not like it
never did work out what maggies tree was ?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »