Start by marking “Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream” as Want to Read:
Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream

Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream

As a young man, John James Audubon, the renowned American woodsman and artist, had to make a choice between following his father's dreams for him and discovering his own special destiny. In this beautifully conceived book, Robert Burleigh imagines a conversation in which Audubon tells his father why he has chosen to forgo the ordinary life of a shop-keeper and instead live ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Into the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Woods

Kathryn
This is a beautiful introduction to Audubon--most of us have seen his artwork of birds, and we know he did some cool study of birds, but really I didn't know much about him beyond that. This is a nice introduction. We learn that Audubon's father wanted him to go into business, but that young Audubon wouldn't let his dreams be stifled and continued to go "into the woods" to look for wildlife--especially birds. His passion was studying them, painting and drawing them, and sharing that work with th ...more
Rani
Inspiring book about John Audubon regarding the beauty of nature and why and how he chose the path of conservation. The non-fiction is embedded in a fiction context, with John talking to his father and telling him why he chose to be a naturalist over being a shopkeeper.
Jane G Meyer
Included in our art studies of John James Audubon.

A really lovely concept for a picture book, and my favorite of all the children's books we've read that address the life of John James Audubon. Short, lyrical text, vivid illustrations somewhat in the style of Audubon himself. A good find!
Tadja Potter
Apr 25, 2012 Tadja Potter rated it it was amazing
This book will give children an appreciation for art and literature in forms of paintings and poetry from John James Audubon himself. It taught me about a figure in history I had never heard about before and was written in a way that is creative and interesting...not lagging or boring. The young artist and naturalist who drew the first drawings of birds and plants in the new world writes his father (using passages of his journal) about his wishes to spend time in the woods instead of become a bu ...more
Peacegal
Dec 28, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
This lushly-illustrated book celebrates the famed bird illustrator John James Audubon. Unlike many other Audubon biographies for children, this book occasionally pictures the man with a rifle, and the note at the book's conclusion acknowledges that Audubon frequently killed the birds he illustrated. In Audubon's time, birdwatching was done with a firearm rather than binoculars, and one's "life list" referred to number of birds shot, rather than simply spotted.
Kerfe
Written in verse as a letter to his father, and interspersed with quotes from Audubon's journals, this book did not really appeal to me that much. Although beautiful in a somewhat formal way, none of the magic of birds or the natural world comes through.
Michelle
Aug 29, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
One of the most poignant books on Audubon ever, including his prayerful dialog with Father Creator.

Blends great poetry with journal excerpts. Very well done!!
Holly
Jun 23, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
This biography is told in poem form and contains quotes by Audubon. This would be a good companion book to A Nest for Celeste to give kids background knowledge.
Jim
Nov 07, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it
a quarter of the way through i stopped reading the poetry and just read audubon's own words and looked at minor's pictures. the two didn't need any assistance.
Marilyn
Apr 19, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is half poetry and half John's journal entries. I didn't know anything about the namesake of the Audubon society. Reading this book makes me want to hike the Appalachian Trail ;).
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2010
Jon Wilson
Jon Wilson rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Kendra
Kendra rated it did not like it
May 21, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Felicia
Felicia rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2010
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Sus
Apr 18, 2016 Sus rated it really liked it
A wonderful biography of Audobon with samples of his artwork.
Rev Gary
Rev Gary rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2011
Beach Girl
Beach Girl rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Kimberly Huff
Kimberly Huff rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2013
Leng
Leng rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Michelle Maria
Michelle Maria rated it really liked it
May 07, 2011
Jodi
Jodi rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Erin Hatch
Erin Hatch rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Emily White
Emily White rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Tiara Sanders
Tiara Sanders rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2015
Pinky
Pinky rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2013
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...