Start by marking “Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream” as Want to Read:
Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream

Into the Woods: John James Audubon Lives His Dream

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
As a young man, John James Audubon, the renowned American woodsman and artist, had to make a choice between following his father's dreams for him and discovering his own special destiny. In this beautifully conceived book, Robert Burleigh imagines a conversation in which Audubon tells his father why he has chosen to forgo the ordinary life of a shop-keeper and instead live ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Into the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Woods

Cheryl
The art by Minor tells more of the story than the text by Burleigh, I think. It's gorgeous. I think it's rather a shame it overwhelms the samples of Audubon's own work; I hope readers are inspired to look for more of those classic works. I definitely appreciated the sample of text from Audubon's journals... but it's a shame they were in a script my old eyes couldn't quite make out completely.

In any case, this book beautifully captures the essence of the man and his lifework, but it's not a real
Kathryn
This is a beautiful introduction to Audubon--most of us have seen his artwork of birds, and we know he did some cool study of birds, but really I didn't know much about him beyond that. This is a nice introduction. We learn that Audubon's father wanted him to go into business, but that young Audubon wouldn't let his dreams be stifled and continued to go "into the woods" to look for wildlife--especially birds. His passion was studying them, painting and drawing them, and sharing that work with th ...more
Tadja Potter
This book will give children an appreciation for art and literature in forms of paintings and poetry from John James Audubon himself. It taught me about a figure in history I had never heard about before and was written in a way that is creative and interesting...not lagging or boring. The young artist and naturalist who drew the first drawings of birds and plants in the new world writes his father (using passages of his journal) about his wishes to spend time in the woods instead of become a bu ...more
Peacegal
This lushly-illustrated book celebrates the famed bird illustrator John James Audubon. Unlike many other Audubon biographies for children, this book occasionally pictures the man with a rifle, and the note at the book's conclusion acknowledges that Audubon frequently killed the birds he illustrated. In Audubon's time, birdwatching was done with a firearm rather than binoculars, and one's "life list" referred to number of birds shot, rather than simply spotted.
Marilyn
This book is half poetry and half John's journal entries. I didn't know anything about the namesake of the Audubon society. Reading this book makes me want to hike the Appalachian Trail ;).
Holly
This biography is told in poem form and contains quotes by Audubon. This would be a good companion book to A Nest for Celeste to give kids background knowledge.
Jim
a quarter of the way through i stopped reading the poetry and just read audubon's own words and looked at minor's pictures. the two didn't need any assistance.
Michelle
One of the most poignant books on Audubon ever, including his prayerful dialog with Father Creator.

Blends great poetry with journal excerpts. Very well done!!
Shellys♥ Journal
Nice book, but I wish it would have explained the life of Audubon just a little more.
Missy Graf
Missy Graf marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
maria clara
maria clara marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Language Literacy
Language Literacy marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...
Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn Edward Hopper Paints His World One Giant Leap Zoom! Zoom!: Sounds of Things That Go in the City