Start by marking “Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)

Amber Flame (Highland Brides #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,477 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Kidnapped and held for ransom by a Scottish clansmen who is her family's sworn enemy, Storm Eldon finds herself being wooed by her captor, who will stop at nothing short of force to get her into his bed.
Published March 1st 1993 by Leisure Books (first published February 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Amber Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amber Flame

Elis Madison
Ten-year-old Storm is taken hostage by her English family's enemies on the Scottish side of the border. The Macwhatevers are headed by Colin and his eldest son Tavis. Storm's a little hellion, but also a healer and she saves Colin's arm with her special salve before the ransom is paid. Tavis thinks she's kinda hot for a little kid. Give 'er six years or so, and he'll "visit" her again.

FF six years or so, and you got it, Tavis is skulking around the Eldon properties. He gets a point for saving S
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)
Tavis MacLagan (Scotsman) is the WEAKEST, most SPINELESS excuse for a hero I've ever read in an HR...possibly ever.
description
I wish Lord Hugo had gelded him physically because he really lacked balls emotionally, mentally and morally. He never fought for anything other than land. When it came to women, he just took whatever he wanted as long as he didn't have to put much effort in obtaining it.

(view spoiler)
JadedlilFecker
All I recall of this book, is the constant sexorz training by the hero, and the secondary hero trying to seduce the heroine, and she was all for it, but told him if he did it, it would be JUST sexual, that the hero had trained her body to respond to lovin'. XD
Amafle
Dec 17, 2011 Amafle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las mejores novelas de época que he leído.
Hannah logro conquistar mi alma de mujer apasionada por la lectura con su protagonista femenina Storm Pipere Eldon.
No quiero darles spoilers por que esa no es mi meta al hacer un comentario sobre el libro, lo que si quiero decirles es que yo disfrute mucho su lectura.
La manera en que Hannah entreteje la historia de dos familias que se odian y que terminaran unidas (muchos dirán que ese argumento ya esta demasiado gastado en la literatura, pero yo
Meg Kinch
Jun 14, 2011 Meg Kinch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalli
Dec 12, 2013 Kalli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
I actually started out really enjoying this book, despite the fact that Tavis is kind of a man-whore and his current mistress shows up constantly in the story. I'll tell you now, I really hate those kind of heroes, and the fact that I was willing to overlook it should say how much I was digging this book.

Of course, then the author had to go and get stupider than stupid. I think the whole last half of the book was pointless. Seriously? (view spoiler)
Liv
Dec 11, 2013 Liv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m constantly in search of a good Scottish novel, and this one piqued my interest because it sounded passionate and almost like a Romero/Juliet set up. Who doesn’t love a burgeoning romance between lovers from opposite sides? In this case, the English (Eldon’s) and the Scottish-Lowlanders (MacLagan’s) are generational enemies as their lands are close to the border. Although, I really enjoyed the romance, the rocky ride toward and HEA is not without its painful moments.

WHAT I REALLY LIKED ABOUT
Maqluba
Marilyn Rondeau
May 16, 2014 Marilyn Rondeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Storm Eldon was very young, she was captured by the MacLagans, sworn Scottish enemies of the English Eldon’s. Bright and precocious, Storm was also something of a healer and even though she was a prisoner, she couldn’t help herself but to take over the dressing of the Clan MacLagan’s chieftain. As ransoming was a common practice between the two feuding families, honor was first and foremost and both family’s felt honor bound to treat their captives well.

Ten years later Storm once again fin
Becky Hutchison
Dec 12, 2013 Becky Hutchison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been in a Highlander romance kick recently and stumbled on HIS BONNIE BRIDE (republished by Zebra Books, 2012) during an ebook sale over Thanksgiving. I was just looking for something light to read while I traveled in the car for 11 hours, and this ebook looked like the perfect escape.

Previously published in 1988 under the title AMBER FLAME, HIS BONNIE BRIDE is the first book in Hannah Howell's HIGHLAND BRIDES SERIES and for me a solid 4 star read. Set in the 14th century, it tells t
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
First a short review and then the drinking game!

This book was a shocker. It was good, but filled with awful people. Crazy step-mothers, evil wanna be husband, lusty highlanders & stupid girl who gives herself over easily, but calls rape something else. What's new. I was stressed out sometimes. Tons of sex & easy women. Although one may be easy just to one man. Good story, but sometimes I got bored & skipped the BS. I did skim for words. If you need a good sex book, and a drink, read
Zel Polev
Eleanor Shakespeare
I think the reviews for this book damped my want to read it. Everyone is talking about rape and it is true that some aspects could be considered rape or near rape but it shouldn't stop anyone from reading this book. Rape is wrong so don't hate me for my previous sentence. This novel isn't one of Howell's best because the whole story felt rushed, I'm actually kind of glad that I read Iain and Islean's story first then Storm and Tavis' because the ending of this book does leave you a little unsati ...more
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
This is my first Hannah Howell read. My library is swamped with them, so I decided to give it a try. Alas, this will also be my last Hannah Howell read.

This historical romance was kind of like being beat in the head with a rock. Instead of allowing readers to define characters by their actions, the author states them outright, and none are unique or particularly witty. Ugh.
Grace
Mar 19, 2015 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars -- it was OK. There were moments I enjoyed in the book and then some parts that bothered me. I don't know if I can chalk it up to medieval thinking about men and women roles or just poor character development. Sometimes I felt like the women had a "Sh!t happens" attitude while the men were very entitled.

TJ
Jul 04, 2009 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up planning to enjoy a little "fluff". Instead I found it surprisingly complex and riveting. I ended up re-reading many parts trying to get to the center of the emotions, and ended up concluding the story was rich with feeling but it was too often portrayed as lust and too seldom love.
Shaune
Aug 01, 2012 Shaune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The way Tavis and Storm fought was hilarious and added spice. It's nice to see a very strong heroine in a Scottish romance. Storm is a capable, intelligent woman who knows her mind and makes sure everyone around her does as well!
Sid Yusma
Jun 20, 2016 Sid Yusma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, blog-review

Can also be read on my blog

Title : His Bonnie Bride (Highland Brides #1)
Author : Hannah Howell
Demographic : Adult
Genre : Romance, Historical, Medieval

Howell takes us to the Medieval times in this Historical Romance, of war between England and Scotland.

Blurb from Goodreads :

Storm Eldon was first caught up in the war between England and Scotland as a young girl, when she and her family were held hostage by their sworn enemies, the MacLagans. Years later, Storm finds herself trapped in the clutches
Shari Kay
May 09, 2016 Shari Kay marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
I don't think so....

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... <---book 1

Cuz Sabrina said so<---book 2
Simara
I finished this book because the narrator is very good. The story is lacking in so many ways. First, for me No means no. So our hero did not take that No kindly from the heroine and basically told her not to resist because it was gonna happen anyway. That for me is rape. I don't even understand how the heroine fell in love with the hero. He always treated her like a hostage and property. And him eyeing her when she was 10 years old? Nah.. After all that the hero put our Storm through there was n ...more
Kaye
I gave this 2 stars instead of 1 because the audiobook was narrated by Ashford MacNab, one of my favorite readers. This book was horrible.

First, if I'd known it was a re-release (with a new title) of a book published in 1988, I would have skipped it. (Ugh, Ugh, Ugh---the HEAD HOPPING and PURPLE PROSE!!!) But that wasn't the worst part of this book.

The worst part of this book is the so-called hero. Not only does he start eyeing the heroine the first time he sees her---when she's TEN YEARS OLD--
Toni
Feb 10, 2013 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kensington-arcs
There is something very special about this story. I loved the characters, the plot, well everything. It was a real treat. I’m having a heck of a time pinpointing the exact thing that made it special. It’s a complete package of history, love and action with amazing characters, exciting times and a titillating plot. If you enjoy this genre, you really should pick up a copy of His Bonnie Bride.

Storm Eldon captured my heart from the very beginning. She was a woman born out of her time and with all o
Erica
Mar 14, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlander fans, Highland romance fans
Recommended to Erica by: Tabatha Scott
My first Hannah Howell novel, and all I can say is I am impressed. Outlanderers, start your engines. This book had the perfect combination of romance, love, battle, kink, family drama, clan warring, intrigue and scheming to please all fans of Highlander romance. Of course, as usual, the English and the Scots are fighting (what else is new?) but it was a little different plot twist than the usual "we hate them, they hate us, so let's kill them" line. I thought it was a very original beginning tha ...more
Twarla Hill
Mar 10, 2014 Twarla Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is why I became a reader. I first read this 13 years ago when my youngest son soon to be 16, was in daycare. I also purchased the large print version which is sitting on my half shoe rack/bookshelf and I pass it daily. I won't even loan it out in fear that someone would damage it, but for non-readers it is my first recommendation. I would like to say Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsay, Cathy Maxwell, Jo Beverley, Jo Goodman, Linda Needham, Stephanie Laurens, Connie Mason, Victoria Alexande ...more
Hortensia
Jul 11, 2015 Hortensia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mis queridos guerreros escoceses no me decepcionan.
Ésta es de esas novelas que te cuesta dejar para ir a dormir y de las que al día siguiente ardes en ansias por terminar. Así de tanto me gustó.
Trepidante, con la dosis justa de todo. Desde los malos hasta los buenos.
Y como es serie, espero que los siguientes sean igual de buenos.
shms
This was pretty dire, I was very undecided about 1* or 2*, so I'm going with 1.5*. The H was a douche, that's been well covered by the other reviewers but the h while starting out awesome was pretty weak and not just with the H. She seemed okay for the H's bro to try and it on, he got to 3rd base. words are one thing, deeds are another. Kinda weak to say the 'body was well trained'...well if that's an out than every cheater in the world has that as an out.
Colleen "~Lucy~"
This was a very good read. Kept me up until the wee hours of the morning. Storm finds herself taken for ransom by the MacLagan Clan. She knew what to expect as the MacLagen's and the Eldons (Storms Family) have always warred. They are good enemies, they are fair and treat each other with respect.

Storm's father is called out to fight for the king leaving no one but her crazy, jealous bitch of a stepmother in charge. Storm is taken captive once again by the MacLagen Clan this time the ransom is n
Aura
Mar 02, 2016 Aura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
El primer libro que leo de esta autora y me ha dejado con ganas de descubrir otros.

Aclaro que le doy tres estrellas porque no tiene tanto drama ni tanta tensión como a mi me gusta, pero por lo demás un libro que se lee muy fácilmente y que te hace pasar un rato entretenido.
Melissa
Nov 17, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was a lot of fun. Storm is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
I truly enjoyed this couples journey to love and trust.
There are a few nail biting moments that have you on the edge of the chair, couch, bed, etc.
You won't be able to put this book down.
Suzanne
Nov 11, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captured in a border raid and held for ransom by the Scottish clansmen who were her ancestral enemies, bewitchingly beautiful Storm Eldon knew her fate only to well. Tavis Maclagan would not harm her- the arrogant knight had given his word on that-but he would stop at nothing to get her into his bed. Undeterred by her fiery temper, he swept her into his arms, silenced her sharp tongue with kisses, taking her to rapture and beyond.
This was the first Hannah Howell I ever read. And I loved it. I am
  • Highland Hearts
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • An English Bride In Scotland (Highlander, #1)
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
  • Dream of Me
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
  • At the Highlander's Mercy (The MacLerie Clan, #6)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • Highland Warrior
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Highland Brides (3 books)
  • Highland Wedding (Highland Brides, #2)
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)