Start by marking “Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amber Flame (Highland Brides, #1)

Amber Flame (Highland Brides #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,161 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Kidnapped and held for ransom by a Scottish clansmen who is her family's sworn enemy, Storm Eldon finds herself being wooed by her captor, who will stop at nothing short of force to get her into his bed.
Published March 1st 1993 by Leisure Books (first published February 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Amber Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amber Flame

Elis Madison
Ten-year-old Storm is taken hostage by her English family's enemies on the Scottish side of the border. The Macwhatevers are headed by Colin and his eldest son Tavis. Storm's a little hellion, but also a healer and she saves Colin's arm with her special salve before the ransom is paid. Tavis thinks she's kinda hot for a little kid. Give 'er six years or so, and he'll "visit" her again.

FF six years or so, and you got it, Tavis is skulking around the Eldon properties. He gets a point for saving S
Amafle
Una de las mejores novelas de época que he leído.
Hannah logro conquistar mi alma de mujer apasionada por la lectura con su protagonista femenina Storm Pipere Eldon.
No quiero darles spoilers por que esa no es mi meta al hacer un comentario sobre el libro, lo que si quiero decirles es que yo disfrute mucho su lectura.
La manera en que Hannah entreteje la historia de dos familias que se odian y que terminaran unidas (muchos dirán que ese argumento ya esta demasiado gastado en la literatura, pero yo
Kalli
Dec 12, 2013 Kalli rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
I actually started out really enjoying this book, despite the fact that Tavis is kind of a man-whore and his current mistress shows up constantly in the story. I'll tell you now, I really hate those kind of heroes, and the fact that I was willing to overlook it should say how much I was digging this book.

Of course, then the author had to go and get stupider than stupid. I think the whole last half of the book was pointless. Seriously? (view spoiler)
Liv
I’m constantly in search of a good Scottish novel, and this one piqued my interest because it sounded passionate and almost like a Romero/Juliet set up. Who doesn’t love a burgeoning romance between lovers from opposite sides? In this case, the English (Eldon’s) and the Scottish-Lowlanders (MacLagan’s) are generational enemies as their lands are close to the border. Although, I really enjoyed the romance, the rocky ride toward and HEA is not without its painful moments.

WHAT I REALLY LIKED ABOUT
Maqluba
Marilyn Rondeau
When Storm Eldon was very young, she was captured by the MacLagans, sworn Scottish enemies of the English Eldon’s. Bright and precocious, Storm was also something of a healer and even though she was a prisoner, she couldn’t help herself but to take over the dressing of the Clan MacLagan’s chieftain. As ransoming was a common practice between the two feuding families, honor was first and foremost and both family’s felt honor bound to treat their captives well.

Ten years later Storm once again fin
JadedlilFecker
All I recall of this book, is the constant sexorz training by the hero, and the secondary hero trying to seduce the heroine, and she was all for it, but told him if he did it, it would be JUST sexual, that the hero had trained her body to respond to lovin'. XD
Meg Kinch
Becky Hutchison
I've been in a Highlander romance kick recently and stumbled on HIS BONNIE BRIDE (republished by Zebra Books, 2012) during an ebook sale over Thanksgiving. I was just looking for something light to read while I traveled in the car for 11 hours, and this ebook looked like the perfect escape.

Previously published in 1988 under the title AMBER FLAME, HIS BONNIE BRIDE is the first book in Hannah Howell's HIGHLAND BRIDES SERIES and for me a solid 4 star read. Set in the 14th century, it tells t
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
First a short review and then the drinking game!

This book was a shocker. It was good, but filled with awful people. Crazy step-mothers, evil wanna be husband, lusty highlanders & stupid girl who gives herself over easily, but calls rape something else. What's new. I was stressed out sometimes. Tons of sex & easy women. Although one may be easy just to one man. Good story, but sometimes I got bored & skipped the BS. I did skim for words. If you need a good sex book, and a drink, read
Zel Polev
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
This is my first Hannah Howell read. My library is swamped with them, so I decided to give it a try. Alas, this will also be my last Hannah Howell read.

This historical romance was kind of like being beat in the head with a rock. Instead of allowing readers to define characters by their actions, the author states them outright, and none are unique or particularly witty. Ugh.
Grace
2 stars -- it was OK. There were moments I enjoyed in the book and then some parts that bothered me. I don't know if I can chalk it up to medieval thinking about men and women roles or just poor character development. Sometimes I felt like the women had a "Sh!t happens" attitude while the men were very entitled.

TJ
I picked this book up planning to enjoy a little "fluff". Instead I found it surprisingly complex and riveting. I ended up re-reading many parts trying to get to the center of the emotions, and ended up concluding the story was rich with feeling but it was too often portrayed as lust and too seldom love.
Suzanne
Captured in a border raid and held for ransom by the Scottish clansmen who were her ancestral enemies, bewitchingly beautiful Storm Eldon knew her fate only to well. Tavis Maclagan would not harm her- the arrogant knight had given his word on that-but he would stop at nothing to get her into his bed. Undeterred by her fiery temper, he swept her into his arms, silenced her sharp tongue with kisses, taking her to rapture and beyond.
This was the first Hannah Howell I ever read. And I loved it. I am
Shaune
I loved this book! The way Tavis and Storm fought was hilarious and added spice. It's nice to see a very strong heroine in a Scottish romance. Storm is a capable, intelligent woman who knows her mind and makes sure everyone around her does as well!
Simara
I finished this book because the narrator is very good. The story is lacking in so many ways. First, for me No means no. So our hero did not take that No kindly from the heroine and basically told her not to resist because it was gonna happen anyway. That for me is rape. I don't even understand how the heroine fell in love with the hero. He always treated her like a hostage and property. And him eyeing her when she was 10 years old? Nah.. After all that the hero put our Storm through there was n ...more
Kaye
I gave this 2 stars instead of 1 because the audiobook was narrated by Ashford MacNab, one of my favorite readers. This book was horrible.

First, if I'd known it was a re-release (with a new title) of a book published in 1988, I would have skipped it. (Ugh, Ugh, Ugh---the HEAD HOPPING and PURPLE PROSE!!!) But that wasn't the worst part of this book.

The worst part of this book is the so-called hero. Not only does he start eyeing the heroine the first time he sees her---when she's TEN YEARS OLD--
Toni
There is something very special about this story. I loved the characters, the plot, well everything. It was a real treat. I’m having a heck of a time pinpointing the exact thing that made it special. It’s a complete package of history, love and action with amazing characters, exciting times and a titillating plot. If you enjoy this genre, you really should pick up a copy of His Bonnie Bride.

Storm Eldon captured my heart from the very beginning. She was a woman born out of her time and with all o
Erica
Mar 14, 2013 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlander fans, Highland romance fans
Recommended to Erica by: Tabatha Scott
My first Hannah Howell novel, and all I can say is I am impressed. Outlanderers, start your engines. This book had the perfect combination of romance, love, battle, kink, family drama, clan warring, intrigue and scheming to please all fans of Highlander romance. Of course, as usual, the English and the Scots are fighting (what else is new?) but it was a little different plot twist than the usual "we hate them, they hate us, so let's kill them" line. I thought it was a very original beginning tha ...more
Twarla Hill
This book is why I became a reader. I first read this 13 years ago when my youngest son soon to be 16, was in daycare. I also purchased the large print version which is sitting on my half shoe rack/bookshelf and I pass it daily. I won't even loan it out in fear that someone would damage it, but for non-readers it is my first recommendation. I would like to say Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsay, Cathy Maxwell, Jo Beverley, Jo Goodman, Linda Needham, Stephanie Laurens, Connie Mason, Victoria Alexande ...more
Donna
Not a review, note for myself.
Not what I expect of HH. Rapey. Pervy. H & H's family are db's squared. h is ruled by her body & mind doesn't matter. Evil SM syndrome all around. One other HH book I didn't care for, but by comparison to this, was great. Sadly, I hated it. Do not continue with this series. Try other HH series.
Colleen "~Lucy~"
This was a very good read. Kept me up until the wee hours of the morning. Storm finds herself taken for ransom by the MacLagan Clan. She knew what to expect as the MacLagen's and the Eldons (Storms Family) have always warred. They are good enemies, they are fair and treat each other with respect.

Storm's father is called out to fight for the king leaving no one but her crazy, jealous bitch of a stepmother in charge. Storm is taken captive once again by the MacLagen Clan this time the ransom is n
Melissa
This novel was a lot of fun. Storm is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
I truly enjoyed this couples journey to love and trust.
There are a few nail biting moments that have you on the edge of the chair, couch, bed, etc.
You won't be able to put this book down.
~~ Angie ~~
He's never tells her he loves her!! Never Ever!!! 3 stars only because I love the author. But the hero, ugh!!!! Why!!! Why WHY!!!! After all he did to her, he couldn't make it up by pouring out his heart! That Butt Hole!!!
Liala ~ The Goddess of Books ~ Starr
This is one of those books that you don't want to put down. Storm Eldon won my heart, respect and (yes) friendship from the first mention of her. She has spirit, witt, and a strength that anyone would covet.

Tavis MacLagan is a Scottish rouge that is desperately trying to tell himself that all he feels for the English beauty is a healthy dose of lust.

The problems that plague them both should tell the rouge how he feels as he is possessive and goes into one hell of a jealous rage; however, he is
janice feenstra
Dec 27, 2014 janice feenstra is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

I enjoyed this book immensely and would recommend it to anyone who likes historical romance novels set in Scotland's highland s.
Carrie Felton
Such a great story! Hannah Howell does and amazing job with the legitimacy of the Scottish Culture! I loved it. Can't wait to read the next one.
Diana
Santhoshi
It seemed a bit too longgg but was a good read
  • A Taste Of Fire
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • An English Bride In Scotland (An English Bride In Scotland, #1)
  • Dream of Me
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Bride of the Lion
  • The Highlander (Medieval Warriors Trilogy, #3)
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Highland Brides (3 books)
  • Highland Wedding (Highland Brides, #2)
  • Reckless  (Highland Brides, #3)
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)