Start by marking “The It Doesn't Matter Suit” as Want to Read:
The It Doesn't Matter Suit

The It Doesn't Matter Suit

A children's story by Sylvia Plath which was found in manuscript form after her death. Max Nix lives with his mama and papa and six brothers in a small village called Winkelburg. Max longs for a suit - not just a workaday suit, but one for doing everything. One day, a mysterious parcel arrives.
Published March 4th 1996 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The It Doesn't Matter Suit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The It Doesn't Matter Suit

Teresa
Nov 13, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-poesia, n-usa, e5
Sim, é um livro infantil.
Que tem uns desenhos lindos.
Com um gato, com um gato amarelo...

E melhor do que os desenhos,
o texto é de Sylvia Plath;
uma das estrelas do universo de escritores que idolatro...

A história é uma ternura,
como uma canção de embalar.
E com uma mensagem para pensar...

Cinco estrelas para um conto infantil?
Mas é bonito e enquanto o lia sorria,
portanto, Tanto Faz Como Fazia...
Daniel
Jan 22, 2015 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Sylvia Plath's stories for children is akin to watching a Carry On movie. There's at least one (unintentional) innuendo per page, my internal Kenneth Williams cried 'Ooh Matron' rather frequently. Carry On Up The Bell Jar
Martyn
Oct 28, 2015 Martyn rated it liked it
A great idea from a great writer but just one or three too many brothers to make this snappy little moral tale fun to read.
Riccardo Mainetti
Conoscevo Sylvia Plath per essere l'autrice del romanzo La campana di vetro e una sua raccolta di poesie, della quale, lo confesso, ora mi sfugge il titolo ma mai avrei pensato che, nella sua, purtroppo, breve carriera, si fosse cimentata anche in racconti cosiddetti "per bambini". Invece, grazie a questa breve storia ho potuto scoprire e apprezzare anche questo lato della Sylvia Plath narratrice che ancora mi era sconosciuto.
La storia racconta di Max Nulli e del suo sogno di poter arrivare a
Maria Martinez
Sep 23, 2014 Maria Martinez rated it it was amazing
The-It-Doesn’t-Matter Suit by Sylvia Plath is a lovely story for children about the youngest of seven brothers, Max, who wants to own a suit because everyone has one and also because he would be admired by others who see him wearing it.

One day a package arrives in Max’s home and when it is opened they find it contains a bright, wool suit. They all assume that the suit is for the father but he does not want to wear it fearing it will not be becoming to his activities. The suit is altered by the m
Kadri
Apr 01, 2012 Kadri rated it really liked it
Max Nix longs for a suit. Not just an ordinary work-a-day suit, but a suit for doing Everything.

A darling story with gorgeous illustrations.

Also, in my personal headcanon this is what Barney Stinson read as a kid.
Dawn
Mar 03, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time adjusting my thoughts to Sylvia Plath haven written children's stories. I can see myself revisiting this story over and over again.
Angela
Jun 08, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
A sweet children's story from an unexpected source.
Petergiaquinta
Oct 05, 2011 Petergiaquinta rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I just found this curious little book last night in a bag of odd and unwanted books my mother is donating to some book sale and left on my kitchen table. I know nothing about its origins, and part of me wonders if it's really by Plath, but no matter how whimsical the illustrations, I'm not sure anyone should be reading a book by Sylvia Plath to young children.

In the same bag, however, is something titled Pardon My Presidency, a collection of tear and send letters of apology ostensibly written by
Jarrod Scarbrough
This was a great story! I was pleasantly surprised at how fun and upbeat a Sylvia Plath children's story could be. This is the story of young Max who wants nothing more than to own a suit! One day a package arrives with a flamboyant suit in it, his father and six siblings each try the suit on and decide it isn't plain enough for them. Max gets the suit and it is everything he ever could have hoped for!
Sami Clara
Jan 01, 2016 Sami Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I made this my first read of 2016. A short, but beautiful collection of short stories Sylvia had written for her own children. These are the kind of stories I wish I had read, or been read to as a child; funny, endearing and full of charm.

I only wish there were more of Plath's material out there. She was an incredibly talented lady. <3
Jennifer Worrell
Nov 13, 2014 Jennifer Worrell rated it liked it
Not a bad story, though a bit repetitive. Love the illustrations. It's all about how you shouldn't worry about what others think, just be yourself. Then again it's from Sylvia Plath, so it could mean that nothing you do makes a damn bit of difference, so fuck it.
Ginger
Jul 26, 2012 Ginger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love this book. Every child should have to opportunity to have this book read to them. This story puts in perspective social/peer pressure.

The older brothers are so worried about what others think, that the suit gets cut and passed down to the youngest of all. This little guy has the strength of character to hold his head up high and be proud of whom he is.

If you know a little kid that needs a boost in self confidence or esteem, this is a great door opener to a discussion on individuality.

I
Phil
May 12, 2015 Phil rated it liked it
This is a real outlier in the books of Sylvia Plath - a little novelty. Found and published by Faber int he mid-90s, it's a slight but charming children's book about a Swiss boy who is jealous of his brothers' suits. The youngest of 7, he is the only one of the family still in knickerbockers, until one day a mysterious package arrives at the Nix house.

Difficult to give it more than 3 stars, but it is a delightful little read and useful to place against the works like Ariel, The Bell Jar and The
Kaethe
It jumped out at me from the children's shelf. I had no idea Plath wrote anything for kids. It's either going to be awesome or appalling, is my guess.

***

I grabbed it out of morbid interest, I admit that. My guess is that this was published for the morbid interest market. It's not a bad book, although it isn't particularly good, either. And whenever Plath wrote it, it hasn't aged well, either. Although I suppose one could enjoy it for the time capsule aspect. Nowadays one sees far fewer suits, an
wrench
Aug 12, 2014 wrench rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrow-my-books
So I feel like, this isn't the best children's book in the world.
But the thing I really like about this book is that it reminds me that Sylvia Plath wasn't just a one dimensional Depressed Poet.

It reminds me that she had the capacity for so many other things, and I think that my obsession with her when I was younger definitely focused majorly on the parts of her as an icon that I wanted to see, and identified with most strongly.

So this book reminds me that people are more complicated, and have m
Nadia
Nov 14, 2014 Nadia rated it it was amazing
It's adorable.
Riikka
Olipa varsin sympaattinen teos. Tosin yön pimeinä tunteina sovitusruljanssin itseääntoistavuus meinasi iskeä epätoivon päälle, mutta kuvituksen ja tarinan sympaattisuus paikkasi varsin paljon. (February 12, 2008)
Miri
Oct 26, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Such a sweet story! And I love coming across things I've never heard of written by brilliant authors (like Steinbeck and Buck - also found in the junior fiction section).
Sezgi
Mar 27, 2013 Sezgi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read it online on Brainpickings
Amy
Jan 05, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, poetry
I still can't wrap my mind around Sylvia Plath writing a children's book.
Eva Ulland
May 05, 2013 Eva Ulland rated it it was amazing
Det-spiller-ingen-rolle-dressen; min sønns favoritt da han var 8.. :)
Louise
May 18, 2013 Louise rated it really liked it
Drawings and words beautifully matched.
Noah
Apr 10, 2013 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That wasn't depressing at all!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Bryony Benstead
Bryony Benstead is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2016
roromac_hk
roromac_hk marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Esra Süt
Esra Süt marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Pyn
Pyn marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • To Bedlam and Part Way Back
  • Den farliga resan
  • When Findus was Little and Disappeared (Pettsson and Findus)
  • The Man Who Lost His Head (Picture Puffins)
  • Captains of the City Streets: A Jenny's Cat Club Book
  • Ariel's Gift: Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath, and the Story of Birthday Letters
  • Filastrocche in cielo e in terra
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Hotel Lautreamont
  • Switch on the Night
  • Giving Up: The Last Days of Sylvia Plath
  • Treasury of American Poetry
  • Siivet varpaiden välissä
Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer.

Known primarily for her poetry, Plath also wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Bell Jar, under the pseudonym Victoria Lucas. The book's protagonist, Esther Greenwood, is a bright, ambitious student at Smith College who begins to experience a mental breakdown while interning for a fashion magazine in New York. The plot paralle
More about Sylvia Plath...