Start by marking “Show No Fear (Nina Reilly, #12)” as Want to Read:
Show No Fear (Nina Reilly, #12)

Show No Fear (Nina Reilly #12)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  701 ratings  ·  79 reviews
A brand-new Nina Reilly thriller takes readers back to Nina's first murder investigation, to the case that ignites her passionate commitment to fighting for justice. As a single mom working as a paralegal and attending law school at night, Nina has her hands full fighting for custody of her young son Bob and overseeing a medical malpractice lawsuit on behalf of her mother....more
Published December 16th 2008 by Pocket Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Show No Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show No Fear

Debby
This is the "prequel" to Perri O'Shaughnessy's Nina Reilly series. To be honest, at first it seemed a bit odd to have a prequel book after 13 years and 11 books in the series. I mean you "know" the characters and they've grown quite a bit over the years. But, it worked! I guess that shows the writing skill of the O'Shaughnessy sisters (Mary and Pam); to be able to take established characters and go backwards in time to create the story of their beginning.
If you've never read anything by Perri O...more
Margaret
This is a "guilty pleasure" mystery series featuring lead character and lawyer Nina Reilly. I've read the series (in order is recommended), which takes place in California / Nevada, primarily Tahoe in the latter and Monterey area in the former. Harmlessly entertaining mystery reading with a certain amount of meat (no goofing off here) and entertaining courtroom descriptions. The Bad Guys tend to be over the top bad guys - I suppose these people actually exist, although they seem rather cartoonis...more
When I discovered that one of the co-authors is a fellow attorney, I incorrectly assumed that this book must be well-written. Some of the metaphors are preposterous and there are serious continuity issues. Also, this book is not character driven. Even though all of the characters had faults and tried to be three dimensional, they weren't. After the death of a major character, I felt no emotion. To me, that's poor writing.

That being said, I couldn't put the damn book down--my sole reason for awar...more
I enjoyed this Nina Reilly book. My problem was that I know things from the previous books and I kept skipping ahead trying to figure out when things were going to happen. But if you are a fan of the Nina Reilly books this is a must read. Although now that I think about it, there can still be more prequels besides this one. We do not know how Nina ends up in Tahoe or how Paul becomes a private investigator and so forth. Interesting to see if there will be more prequels to come.
Tammy
Worst book I have ever read!!!!!
Suzie
I was very excited to read Show No Fear since I have read the entire series. I have to say that I was disappointed. It was a very different style than the original series. The first 200 pages were very dry and I kept waiting for something to happen. Once the plot did pick up, I was able to solve the case way before the murderer was revealed. I want more mystery than that.

Some facts also differed from the original books. I remember the night Nina and Paul met and it was not on a double date with...more
Robyn Hawk
I am a huge fan of detective, crime novels and have always wanted to read some of the Perri O'Shaughnessy books - but the usual thing that stops me is where to begin when it is a character that has been developed through a dozen or more stories?

This book is the perfect introduction to the Nina Reilly character as this story takes you back to Nina's first murder investigation.

The sympathetic character of the heroine is so easy to relate to - single mom, working fulltime, going to law school and...more
Cheryl
Nina Reilly works for the law firm of Pohlmann, McIntyre, Sorensen and Frost as a paralegal. When Nina’s mother needs Nina’s help to fight a medical malpractice suit she has against a doctor, Nina turns to her employer for legal consul. Nina decides to do some investigating herself. Though, Nina may have gotten more than she bargained for when she starts putting her nose in places she shouldn’t be sniffing.

Perri O’Shaughnessy is a new author to me. Perri is also the combination of the names Pam...more
Glenda Bixler
Show No Fear:
A Nina Reilly Novel
By Perri O’Shaughnessy
Pocket Books
ISBN: 9781416544393
339 Pages
Advance Reader’s Edition

Nina Reilly’s mother had never shown fear—at least to her daughter. But when she grew older and her mother became very ill, Nina had her own issues about showing fear. It wasn’t easy not to be afraid! When you read Show No Fear by Perri O’Shaughnessy, you’ll know why!

Nina was working her way through law school as a paralegal at Pohlmann, McIntyre, Sorensen and Frost. As she work...more
Jan
I enjoy OShaughnessy's Nina Reilly novels. They are stand alone books that don't need to be read in any particular order. This one is an excellent legal thriller that kept me turning pages long after the lights should have been off.
Nina is a single mom, working as a para-legal, while studying to become a lawyer. Nina's balanacing act and independent streak make her the kind of character I like to get on board with.
A drug addict for a brother, a very ill mother,a father who is remarrying, the rea...more
Amy
I listened to this via audiobook and really enjoyed it. I'm a big Nina Reilly fan so it was nice to go back in time a bit and see Nina in the midst of her first murder case. Nina is so relatable to me and I always enjoy reading about her. She's such an interesting character - very real and multifaceted.

It was very well written and Perri O'Shaughnessy's handling of the plot twists and turns were wonderful. Maybe I'm naive but I get so sucked into the story & the characters that I forget to ev...more
Kate
I had a trifecta - I borrowed 3 novels from the library and they were all 5-star!

Perri O'Shaughnesy's character Nina Reilly returns in a pre-quel to her other novels, giving some background and motivation to the character, along with explaining how she came to be a single parent and how she came to meet Paul. Not to be missed by Nina Reilly fans!

However, if you have never read a book in this series, it is still a page-turner filled with twists and turns and a surprise ending. Nina is a single m...more
Donna
Nina Reilly is working as a paralegal, going to law school, and raising her son by herself. She gets involved in investigating a suspicious death. That adds to her workload but nothing like the additional of stress she gets when her son's bio father decides he wants joint custody although the boy is 6 and the father has never seen him. The father is quite sociopathic. His concerns are around appearing to be a good parent for his current girlfriend. Unfortuantely, he is a lawyer and doesn't mind...more
Marlyn
The twelfth Nina Reilly novel is a flashback to when she was in law school and working as a paralegal for a small firm in Carmel. Nina is pretty stressed: her mother is suffering from a severe illness and is suing her acupuncturist; the father of Nina's son Bob has suddenly reappeared and is harrassing Nina; and Nina's brother Matt is dealing unsuccessfully with his drug addiction. When the bodies of two people close to Nina turn up in rapid succession, she is one of the few people who thinks th...more
Vicki
Oh my lord! It was like the authors were trying to cram as much back story as they could into this book, plot be damned. In fact, had I not read the dust cover, I wouldn't have even known there was a plot. The book just wandered and wandered and wandered and made me wonder if one sister wrote a chapter and the other had to write the subsequent chapter without reading what the first one wrote. After about 180 pages without finding it, I gave up and just skipped to the back to see if it revealed t...more
Shane
I prefer this series when it is set in Lake Tahoe, California - and that is because I used to live there. At any rate, this is a good summer read featuring a likable female character, although for whatever reason I liked the person who turned out to be the villian the most. I am usually the last one to guess whodunnit, but in this case I figured it out pretty early. Nonetheless, a page-turner for those who like thrillers - it would almost qualify as a cozy-thriller if there weren't a couple of s...more
Jodi
Overall, I would give this book a 2 for the first 1/2 and a 4 for the second 1/2. I had read reviews about this book before I purchased it and they were pretty much right on. The first half is slow moving, uneventful, but then about 1/2 way through things pick up. I have really liked all of the Nina Reilly books I have read and it was interesting to go back to the first of her life to see how she got to where she is in her other books. But this was probably my least favorite of all of the Nina R...more
Alice
Nina Reilly as a young woman in Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove, raising her son, Bob, who is four, attending Monterey Law School in the evening, and working as a paralegal in a law firm by day. The reader meets several characters who will appear in later stories. Nina's family situation is quite sad, as Nina's divorced mother has a degenerative disease, Nina's father is remarried and ignoring his ex-wife's problems, Nina's brother is a drug addict, and a former lover is trying to get custody of B...more
Penny
Way better than the last one I read. Kept me page turning. This book is sort of a flash back.
It is about when Nina was working as a paralegal and her son, Bob, was at a very young age. The father tries to gain custodey and whe is also overseeing a malpractice lawsuit on behalf of her mother. She first meets Paul van Wagoner in this one.
Toward the end there were a few things that were very, very hard to believe but not anywhere near as bad as the ones in "Dreams of the Dead".
I really liked this...more
I didn't realize that I was reading this book out of order until I read that Bob was just a preschooler. Bob's father returns and threatens to get custody of his son that he has never known or spent any time with. The man is a sleazy lawyer and wrapped up in all kinds of questionable activities. Nina's mom's health is failing and she wants to sue a doctor who may have made her medical condition worse. This book was good even though I have read many of the books that come after this one.
Nancy Dryden
This book is a prequel to the 13 other books in the Nina Reilly series by sisters Pamela and Mary O'Shaughnessy, writing under a pseudonym. In this book, we learn about Nina, her brother Matt, her son Bob and PI Paul van Wagoner and how they became what they are today, while Nina handily solves a couple of crimes (with Pauls' help) and we gain some insight into Nina and her background. I picked this book up dirt cheap at an After, After Christmas sale last year and am glad I did.
Corrie
In my opinion, this is probably the worst book in the Nina Reilly series. It goes back in time to give the reader an in depth history of Nina's family and let's the reader know why Nina decided to go into criminal law. Not only was the storyline stupid on many counts, but the character development that is usually quite good in this series just isn't there. If I had read this book first, I highly doubt I would have read any of the other books in this series.
Ginny
This is a prequel to the Nina Reilly series. We learn how Nina meets Paul van Wagoneer and get a little more background into her family. I may be slow, but I didn't see the murder's identity coming until just before O'Shaughnessy chose to make the revelation. One or two items were left hanging. Not sure if I will go back to early books to see if they were picked up again or not. All in all an enjoyable book.
Kelley
i couldn't get into this one to save my life. I didn't even finish it. I don't know if it's because I had a not well done abridged version (I couldn't follow the story) or if it's because it's well into a series I've not read anything else in. Or if it was just something that wasn't what I needed at the time. But I think I only made it through 1 CD before returning it to the library.
Teri Hand
I read the ebook from www.fictionwise.com.

I wasn't sure I'd like this one as it seemed to just kind of plod along in the beginning; however, as per Pam & Mary's style, they don't disappoint in the Nina Reilly series. The ending was short-lived but still a good way to conclude this episode of Nina's earlier life.

A good addition to the rest of the series.
Audrey
These dazzling sister of mystery come up with another good read. We go back to 1990 (I usually HATE prequels, but this one was fun and informed us about the characters) when Nina is still a legal aid and going to school. Her son's suspected father is killed which starts Nina on her career as a superior mystery solver.
Nicki Conroy
Have to be upfront here and say half of the author duo that is Perri O'Shaughnessy was married to my cousin. That out of the way, I love Nina Reilly. This book is fantastic as are the previous books with Reilly as the protagonist. You can read my entire review at http://nickisnook.net/2009/11/23/book...
Anne
Feb 06, 2009 Anne added it
Nina Reilly, working as a paralegal while attending law school at night has a lot going on in her life. When her mother falls to her death from a bridge near Big Sur Nina does not believe it is an accident and with the help of homicide cop Paul Van Wagoner she discovers the truth. Another masterful tale from Perri o"Shaughnessy
  • Escape (Butch Karp, #20)
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • Eclipse
  • Masquerade
  • A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13)
  • Capitol Offense (Ben Kencaid, #17)
  • Undue Influence (Paul Madriani, #3)
  • The Judgment
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)
  • The Last Innocent Man
  • Sentenced to Die (J.P. Beaumont, #1-3)
  • Sullivan's Law (Carolyn Sullivan, #1)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist...more
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...
Move to Strike Motion to Suppress Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3) Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5) Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)