Start by marking “Women (Cerebus, #8)” as Want to Read:
Women (Cerebus, #8)

Women (Cerebus #8)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Reprinting Cerebus Issues 163-174

In Cerebus' world, the battle of the sexes has been fought and won - by the women. The government is a matriarchal dictatorship, run by an all-seeing psychic called Cirin. Her rule is totalitarian with, bizarrely, a bias towards motherhood. And her biggest threat comes not from Cerebus, a mere male; but from Astoria, the old consort of Cere
Published June 1st 1994 by Aardvark-Vanheim

To ask other readers questions about Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women

Christian Lipski
A look at the two feminist camps - Cirinism (the mommy-state, only giving birth makes you a citizen), and Kevilism (women are superior and should be allowed to do everything). Also the Sandman references are nice. Cerebus learns a lot about women's powers, and there's a LOT of hallocinogenic/fever-dream stuff that you know will not be explained, suspecting that it comes from Sim's widening distance from reality.

Also some really kick-ass suspense.
Felix
While I enjoyed the humorous sequences with Roach and Elrod satirizing Neil Gaiman's Endless, the misogyny of the rest of the book was just too distracting for me to enjoy the good artwork and interesting opposition between Kevilists and Cirinists.
James
...and here we go. I kept wondering when, on my Cerebus readthrough, I'd hit the point where the book went off the rails.

And this isn't it, I don't mean to suggest that, but the cracks are starting to show. It's a fine story, with the rivalry between Astoria and Cirin dominating the storyline, and some deeply satisfying gags (including the Roach's take on Sandman), but it's the first installment that doesn't feel like unmixed growth from the previous storyline.

We've returned, after the psychedel
Robert Hudder
Wow. Watched a documentary on Bobby Fisher yesterday and then finished this book. While the argument of a person with mental illness is internally consistent, there is always some type of check from the real world that can topple it. Both Fisher and Sim dealt/deal with mental illness.

We, as a society, often glorify this type of thing in that we revere those artists and geniuses and state that it is all part of the package. I'm not sure it is.

In this part of the arc, the chauvinism is ramping up
Hamish
Well here's where it all starts to fall apart. The momentum and rising action from the previous volume? Gone. There's several plot-lines running here, but they all seem to sputter and the feeling of tension is lost. It doesn't help that at least one of the plots is a comic relief plot. Back in the day Sim was great at mixing the serious and the humorous without detracting from either. Around this time he lost that talent, which might have something to do with the fact that the comic relief bits ...more
Sean Samonas
There is a lot that happens in this book, which is good to see again. Unfortunately it is mired again in Daves need to sacrifice the narrative for a chance to spout his own personal philosophy.

This book was a particular disappointment for me because Astoria is my favorite character and to see her acting as she does in this book makes no sense. Dave clearly doesn't like any of his female characters anymore, and is getting ready to expel all of them from the narrative as quickly as possible.

Oh and
The_Mad_Swede
Collecting issues # 163–­174 of Dave Sim's 300 issues limited series Cerebus the Aardvark and being the second part of four in the Mothers & Daughters story arc, this volume picks up right where the previous one ended. The political intrigues abound and Sim delves deeper into Cirin's cirinist theories concerning mothers and motherhood and Astoria's kevillist opposition of choice. Add to that a wonderful parody of Gaiman's The Sandman, beautifully played out by the Cockroach as Swoon and Elro ...more
Mark
plot plot plot. cirin makes an excellent villain, but nobody is even halfway decent at being a hero.
Robert
While I do have the other books, my reading of them got spotty after Women. To be continued...
Ratiocination
This is really the problematic stretch of the series; it has some of its best moments and some of its worst. I've heard it suggested that one should skip the text portions and just read the comic parts. I can't quite recommend that wholeheartedly-- it would make for an incomplete work, but perhaps an incomplete work that one could be more comfortable with.
Brendan
sim's true brilliance in sustaining a single narrative for this long really begins to shine in "women," as almost every single character from the beginning of the cerebus storyline to the present is re-introduced.
Casey Hansen
The story tended to drag on more than the other books, felt like a good set up for the next book but was not a great read in and of itself. The art as always was fantastic.
Ron
While not quite on par with Jaka's story, Sim kept up the momentum of the last arc with what is becoming his increasingly sad reflections on life and love and gender.
Chris
Still no plot to speak of, but now Sims decides to start bashing women. His art and layouts continue to boggle, but one begins to wonder if his wife just left him.
Ben
This one actually seems less misogynistic, with its interesting idealogical political struggle and fun drunken Cerebus and Sandman Roach parody.
Mer
Apr 20, 2007 Mer rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who can get past the fact that Sim's a hateful, gibbering lunatic (I just can't)
Shelves: ugh
The hateful, misogynist, incoherent rantings of a brilliant, batshit crazy individual.

What a waste of genius.
Thomas
And here ended my reading Cerebus!
Zack Mumm
Zack Mumm marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
The E
The E marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Captain America: War & Remembrance
  • The Adventures of Barry Ween, Boy Genius 2.0
  • Miracleman, Vol. 2: The Red King Syndrome
  • The Best American Comics 2011
David Victor Sim is a Canadian comic book writer and artist, best known as the creator of Cerebus the Aardvark.
More about Dave Sim...

Cerebus (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Melmoth (Cerebus, #6)
  • Flight (Cerebus, #7)
  • Reads (Cerebus, #9)
  • Minds (Cerebus, #10)
  • Guys (Cerebus, #11)
Cerebus (Cerebus, #1) High Society (Cerebus, #2) Church and State I (Cerebus, #3) Church and State II (Cerebus, #4) Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)