Start by marking “The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)

The Fluted Girl (Pump Six and Other Stories)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This story is part of the publisher's Great Science Fiction Stories audio series. It's on 1 CD approximately 62 minutes in length. The fluted girl had been given Revitia treatments at thirteen to freeze her features in the matrix of youth. She had been given the stolen black eyes of an Indian girl. Pigment drugs drained color from her skin. Then surgeries and cell knitters ...more
Audio CD, 24 pages
Published August 23rd 2006 by AudioText Inc. (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Fluted Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fluted Girl

M. Keep
Mar 06, 2012 M. Keep rated it liked it
I really loved the world that this short is set in. I'm absolutely fascinated to learn more about the speculative fiction portions.

Unfortunately, I found the writing so flowery in describing the titular character that I had trouble picturing her - and because of that I found that it was hard to really lose myself in it. I kept having to reevaluate how the main character looked and how much was literal and how much was figurative.

I think it was beautiful, though, and I wish I had enjoyed it more.
Paige Ellen Stone
Feb 17, 2016 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
This short story first appeared in Paolo Bacigalupi's collection of stories entitled, "Pump Six". I must admit I have an issue with the kindle publication of a story that has already appeared in a book that I owned but have not yet gotten around to reading. Enough about that.
This is a very intriguing story of the future, the future of genetics, the future of the classes and the future of the meaning of "person." PB writes stories with an imagination that is very unique to him. I am reticent to g
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Paolo Bacigalupi is my favorite just discovered author! I highly recommend him for fans of Margaret Atwood.

His future speculated Earth are frightening, horrifying and very plausible. Financial feudalism and gene modification are two of the themes he plays with. The characters are very believable and the plots are thrilling.

Adriane Mckinney
Oct 10, 2015 Adriane Mckinney rated it liked it
Really intriguing short story that had all the great hallmarks of Bacigalupi's mastery of disturbing dystopian societies. I saw notes of the dog men from shipbreaker in the guard and wondered if the worlds were connected.

I did feel this story was a bit further removed from plausible future reality than his usual work though. I would have liked to see more of his usual balance in terms of realistic scientific future mixed with extreme dystopian circumstances. The characters themselves were beaut
Jonathan Appleton
Oct 13, 2015 Jonathan Appleton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another short story from Bacigalupi, and another hit.
In feudal future America body modification is an art the aristocracy can use or perform on their surfs.
This is the story of a young girl sold into the fiefdom and her struggles.
Character development is key here and done well.

Zaz
Apr 08, 2016 Zaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I suppose this one could fit very well in the horror genre as it was really horrible and disgusting in the suggested things (nothing explicit, but it was horrible nonetheless). It was really smooth and well built, but please, I don't want to know more about this world.
kelly rutherford
Nov 21, 2015 kelly rutherford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More!

The only complaint I have is that The Fluted Girl is a short story and that it is not developed into a novel!
Lindsey
Nov 13, 2015 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully horrifying, and the perfect example of saying exactly enough.
Alexandra Mcgowan
Apr 16, 2015 Alexandra Mcgowan rated it really liked it
The endings are what slay me with Paolo Bacigalupi. You're eager to read, read, read! Because the characters are so, so human even when they are not, their feelings are raw, intense. The stories draw you in and then you're left panting at the end, crazed-eyes as you stare at the end of the last page, pondering about all the what-ifs.

This one slayed me for these reasons and more.

The endings.

They're violent, horrible, frustrating.

And you can't help but open the next Bacigalupi and read up a nove
Vi Khong
Dec 05, 2014 Vi Khong rated it really liked it
Very interesting story
Melita Mihaljevic
Apr 17, 2016 Melita Mihaljevic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird short story
David
Feb 17, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
I read the short story version of this in Gardiner Dozois' annual anthology. It haunted me for months. I eventually gained the courage to try one of his novels, Shipbreakers. There is vision and empathy in this author, but I would like to see him explore other themes, even if the rich-poor divide is not so important and compelling. This story will remain in my consciousness for a long while.
Pennie
The Fluted Girl is fantastic, disturbing and chillingly plausible; all rolled up into an extraordinary short story.
Josh
Jan 16, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got through most of the short stories. Pocketful of Dharma was great, Fluted Girl was good, the rest are ok.
Suzi
May 26, 2011 Suzi rated it it was amazing
Kind of sick and twisted, but in a subtle way. Kind of a modern-day Frankenstein story.
James
Apr 09, 2011 James rated it liked it
Fairly good story, though the dystopia portrayed here is sad indeed.
Tori Sciancalepore
Tori Sciancalepore marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Anechka Menzerskaya
Anechka Menzerskaya marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Meghan Sharp
Meghan Sharp rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Maha
Maha marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Dallas
Dallas marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Bela
Bela added it
May 15, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jenine
Jenine marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Daniel Gritz
Daniel Gritz marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • Rip-Off!
  • Understand
  • Space Boy
  • The Sirian Experiments
  • Army of One (Star Force, #4.5)
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps
  • The Worm Forgives the Plough
  • Polymorph
  • The Walk Up Nameless Ridge
Paolo Bacigalupi’s writing has appeared in High Country News, Salon.com, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine. It has been anthologized in various “Year’s Best” collections of short science fiction and fantasy, nominated for three Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for best sf short story of the year.

His debut nov
More about Paolo Bacigalupi...

Pump Six and Other Stories (1 books)
  • Pump Six and Other Stories