Start by marking “The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Fluted Girl (Great Science Fiction Stories)

The Fluted Girl (Pump Six and Other Stories)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This story is part of the publisher's Great Science Fiction Stories audio series. It's on 1 CD approximately 62 minutes in length. The fluted girl had been given Revitia treatments at thirteen to freeze her features in the matrix of youth. She had been given the stolen black eyes of an Indian girl. Pigment drugs drained color from her skin. Then surgeries and cell knitters ...more
Audio CD, 24 pages
Published August 23rd 2006 by AudioText Inc. (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Fluted Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fluted Girl

Michelle Keep
I really loved the world that this short is set in. I'm absolutely fascinated to learn more about the speculative fiction portions.

Unfortunately, I found the writing so flowery in describing the titular character that I had trouble picturing her - and because of that I found that it was hard to really lose myself in it. I kept having to reevaluate how the main character looked and how much was literal and how much was figurative.

I think it was beautiful, though, and I wish I had enjoyed it more.
Kirsten
Paolo Bacigalupi is my favorite just discovered author! I highly recommend him for fans of Margaret Atwood.

His future speculated Earth are frightening, horrifying and very plausible. Financial feudalism and gene modification are two of the themes he plays with. The characters are very believable and the plots are thrilling.

Amee Violette
Just got around to reading it yesterday, and finished pretty quickly; it's a short story, after all.

My feelings about this story are weird; I love it and I'm disturbed by it the same time. Although it was highly disturbing, I didn't find it so scary I couldn't sleep at night. But then again, how scared I am depends on several strange factors. Nevertheless, this IS a creepy as hell story, so some may want to read with caution.

Overall, it was interesting and, despite the creepy factor, I enjoyed i
Vi Khong
Very interesting story
David Bott
I read the short story version of this in Gardiner Dozois' annual anthology. It haunted me for months. I eventually gained the courage to try one of his novels, Shipbreakers. There is vision and empathy in this author, but I would like to see him explore other themes, even if the rich-poor divide is not so important and compelling. This story will remain in my consciousness for a long while.
Pennie
The Fluted Girl is fantastic, disturbing and chillingly plausible; all rolled up into an extraordinary short story.
Josh
Got through most of the short stories. Pocketful of Dharma was great, Fluted Girl was good, the rest are ok.
Suzi
Kind of sick and twisted, but in a subtle way. Kind of a modern-day Frankenstein story.
James
Fairly good story, though the dystopia portrayed here is sad indeed.
Aly
Aly added it
Dec 21, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Marco
Marco added it
Dec 17, 2014
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Frontal Fingerbling
Frontal Fingerbling marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Nov 21, 2014
Ivailo Ivanov
Ivailo Ivanov marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Nov 17, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Stuart Stanley
Stuart Stanley marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Ventsislav Peychev
Ventsislav Peychev marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Amy Hoodock
Amy Hoodock marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • None So Blind: A Short Story Collection
  • Iterations
  • Space Boy
  • Understand
  • The Making of the Representative for Planet 8 (Canopus in Argos #4)
  • The Walk Up Nameless Ridge
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • Polymorph
  • Futureland
  • Dimension of Miracles (Dimension of Miracles #1)
  • Doctor Who: Snowglobe 7
  • The Companions
  • Doctor Who: The Taking of Chelsea 426
Paolo Bacigalupi’s writing has appeared in High Country News, Salon.com, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine. It has been anthologized in various “Year’s Best” collections of short science fiction and fantasy, nominated for three Nebula and five Hugo Awards, and won the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award for best sf short story of the year.

His debut nov
More about Paolo Bacigalupi...
The Windup Girl Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1) The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2) Pump Six and Other Stories The Alchemist