Farmer Dale's Red Pickup Truck

Farmer Dale's Red Pickup Truck

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Farmer Dale is hauling a load of hay into town when, one by one, he meets some bossy barnyard animals looking for a lift. The kindly farmer lets them all squeeze in, but then his trusty truck breaks down and everyone is stranded. That is, until they get over their differences and pull together to get that old red rig moooooving again.

Full of raucous, rhythmic language, thi...more
Published September 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Farmer Dale's Red Pickup Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmer Dale's Red Pickup Truck

Mary-Kate Ganssle
Title: Farmer Dale’s Red Pickup Truck
Author: Lisa Wheeler
Illustrator: Ivan Bates
Date of Publication: 2004
Genre: Fiction

Summary:
While loading a load of hay into town, farmer Dale encounters several animals that need a ride. The kind farmer allows each to pile in until the truck becomes full and breaks down. In order to get the truck moving again, the animals must work together. Their teamwork pays off and they are able to get the truck into town successfully.

Evaluation:
This is a very cute story!...more
Vance Allen
Man I loved this book. I had the opportunity to read this with a struggling reader and the pictures really supported the text. The author created two characters with predictable behaviors that added repetition and predictability as Farmer Dale took his excursion across the country. The cow was always going to tell the animals to move over when a new one hopped in the cramped truck. The cramped animals always complained, but Farmer Dale always had a sweet heart and gave everyone a ride. I really...more
Caranna
"Farmer Dale's Red Pickup Truck hauled a load of hay..." One of my very favorite books to read aloud to my little ones. It's got fun rhymes and repeated phrases that the kids can say right along with you. The illustrations are bright, fun and colorful. A great children's book for sure!
Karelle Royal
Summary:
A Farmer is heading to town and animals along the path ask for a ride in his red truck, but after picking up 4 animals the truck breaks down.

- I used this for a math (word problem) lesson
- Great pictures
- Repetitive phrases good for prompting inferences
Dolly
Dec 29, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
This is a fun book about a farmer (our girls thought it was a hoot that the farmer was a dog) who picks up an assortment of farm animals in his pickup truck on his way to town. Will they all fit? It's a silly tale with a rhyming narrative and rhythmic flow.
Kiera
Good book with a fun story about a farmer who wants to help everybody get a ride to town. Great illustrations and a good ending.
Aspasia
The neighborhood animals all bum a ride from Farmer Dale and then have to help him get the truck unstuck.
Celeste
My son loves this book, we read it over and over. Teaches kids about helping each other.
Jamie
This book is a big hit and was read at story time at school last week.
Mary
S'okay. Not for storytime.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Apr 15, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jazz Baby Bubble Gum, Bubble Gum Porcupining: A Prickly Love Story Ugly Pie Boogie Knights