Start by marking “44 Irish Short Stories” as Want to Read:
44 Irish Short Stories

44 Irish Short Stories

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In this anthology there are gathered, for the first time in America, some of the more representative examples of Irish short fiction. The emphasis is on variety.

Contents:

She went by gently by Paul Vincent Carroll
The islandman by Desmond Clarke
The lady on the grey by John Collier
The awakening by Daniel Corkery
The return by Daniel Corkery
Saint Bakeoven by Eric Cross
The kith
Published 1984 by Devin-Adair Company (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about 44 Irish Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 44 Irish Short Stories

Martin
i have the feeling this book was published in the 1950s, judging from the authors, which are primarily from the first half of the twentieth century, covering subject matter that is even earlier. so the book is an interesting introduction to a variety of authors i've not encountered before, which is always interesting. that said, it's still fairly uneven, and sometimes you get a little tired of the stock country characters and a bit too much of the "begorrah". still, any collection that includes ...more
Kathy
I thought this would be a perfect book to read before my trip to Ireland. I especially enjoyed Yeats, Wilde and O'Kelly.
Shane
magical. due a reread.
David Vanness
An interesting collection of 5 to 25 page shorts. The subtitle is "An Anthology of Irish Short Fiction from Yeats to Frank O'Conner". Of the 33 different authors, I enjoyed Oscar Wilde's as much as any. I found most of the shorts enjoyable. Finished my day with one each night. Am loaning to a interested lady at next bookclub meeting. I do like shorts. Back in the 60's I subscribed to "SHORT STORY INTERNATIONAL".
CJ Bowen
Some really neat tales in here, and very little fluff. Yeats unfortunately closes the book with some odd clunkers, but most of the stories are quite fun, including a Christmas story that will likely become part of my yearly read-aloud stories. Good show.
George
Read the book after a trip to Ireland. Some of the stories were hard to follow, but fun after having been to some of the locations.
Dana
A delightful book when you need a quick escape but don't have time to read an entire novel.
Miranda
Really like this collection of stories, wide variety of snapshots of Irish life.
Frank Peters
This is an excellent set of short stories, and a great introduction to Irish fiction.
Patricia
Some of the stories were okay, but mostly boring. : (
Lea
I only enjoyed two stories out of forty-four!
Penny
Not for me. Boring.
Glenn Horne
Apr 29, 2012 Glenn Horne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Very enjoyable - great stories.
Recommended to Glenn by: Found this in a used book store.
Very enjoyable.
Machim
Jul 30, 2010 Machim added it
short stories,Irish
Lukas
Lukas marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Arielle P.
Arielle P. marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 13, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Amber Dreyer
Amber Dreyer marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kjs
Kjs marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Imelda Cummins-DeMelkon
Imelda Cummins-DeMelkon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015