Bikini Season

Bikini Season

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  631 ratings  ·  142 reviews
Bikini Season deals with that most painful of annual rituals, fitting into one's swimsuit. But it's really about so much more--fitting into one's life. Don't miss this fast, fresh, fun and funny story by a major new talent--Susan Wiggs, author of Dockside.
Published April 1st 2008 by Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Bikini Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bikini Season

chippyvale
Okay so I picked up this book from the library with much anticipation because the previous book that I had read from Roberts - Love in Bloom, was excellent so I had the same hopes for this as well.

But, I was really disappointed with this one. So a group of women banded together to lose weight and called themselves the Teeny Bikini Clun. The book also documented each woman's struggles with life issues and of course, weight.

To me, this book is so mindless and so fluffy that I just didn't want to...more
Gina
Very quick and predictable read about some unhappy, overweight women struggling to lose weight with the help of their girlfriends who were formerly part of their cooking club. One girl struggles with the decision of marrying the controlling fiancee, one worries her husband doesn't love her now that she's gained weight, one has a husband who is overweight too and constantly brings sweets back into the house, and the fourth woman has always been overweight and struggles with both the idea of being...more
Susan
This book is competently written, and kept me entertained while waiting in my car for the kid and during a light workout on the treadmill. I appreciated the parallels to my/friends' lives in terms of approaches to weight management, and the food club provided an adequate vehicle to frame the story. The recipes at the end are a nice touch, and the only reason I'm not ready to immediately swap it out at a secondhand bookstore.

I didn't think premise, character voices, or conflicts were superlative...more
Princess
I saw this on the Reader's Choice shelf and decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it. It follows several women through their different lives. They've been in a cooking club together and after a eye-opening doctor's appointment for one of the women, the club morphs into a get healthy support group they title the Bikini Club. It's by no means a literary read, but it is fun and warm and affirming with the requisite happy ending.
Teresa Grubbs
Great chick lit! Four friends go from having a cooking club to meeting weekly as a diet support group when one wants to fit into her wedding gown, another gets dire warnings from her doctor, another thinks her husband is having an affair, and the last one is tired of being alone. Wonderful story about friendships between strong women,romances in different stages, and the hardships of dieting.
Stephanie C.
This was a fun filled book of friendship and an issue close to most women's hearts-weightloss, and the journey of self discovery.I loved Kinzy and her relationship with her husband, but was annoyed Angela's distrustful relationship with hers. This read like I was watching a geat chick flick, and I bet ya it will be on the big screen soon, with the title of "The Teeny-Bikini Club".
Jess
Another feel good, heartwarming story by Roberts. It followed the lives of four women as they each decided they needed to lose weight. Every woman had a different reason for why they wanted to become healthier, but they stood together to do it. This was not just a journey of weight loss, but of trying to learn to love yourself the way you are and making the most out of life.
Brianna
it is very heart-warming read about these women trying to lose wieght to look sexy and restoring their confinace in themselves. It's something that the reader can relate too. Also, if you have read Love In Bloom, Hope makes an appearnace, Reading about these four women has gotten me in the mood to re-read about Hope's and the other women stories in Love in Blood.
Laurie
I grabbed this as I walked by the shelf at the library. I wanted a lite read. It was about a group of women that start dieting together for different reasons. It was okay and entertaining enough that I finished it. But it was a bit to much fluff and it made me feel guilty for some of my food choices.
L. Pace-Frech
Love this book! If you're working on a weight loss goal, this is definitely a great book for you! If you just want a light spring read, you'll enjoy this book.
Jane
Erin Merritt has returned to her scenic hometown of Heart Lake to plan her wedding, but when she repeatedly runs into her childhood crush, she wonders if she’s engaged to the wrong man. To make matters worse, all the stress is making her eat, and now she can’t fit into her wedding dress.
Erin enlists the help of her cooking club--Angela, Megan and Kizzy--and the Teeny Bikini Diet Club is born. The women make a pact to get slim enough to wear their bikinis to the lake by summertime, a pact that...more
Kathy Hiester
Sheila Roberts takes us to Heart Lake, WA, where the members of a neighborhood cooking club have realized they’re all starting to have health and emotional issues related to weight gain. They decide to keep the club together as a support system and learn to cook healthy. Unfortunately, the various men in their lives have, shall we say, less than helpful reactions. I have to say I understand this because it seems every time I mention the word diet my hubby tends to make me a full artery clogging...more
Katie
Bikini Season is a quick summer read, which made me laugh out loud, but at the same time, made me a tad bit angry. You follow the weight loss/gain of four friends who have one main goal, which is to fit into their bikinis at the end of the summer. Along the way they each have their ups and downs, but they continue to meet up each week to help each other out, both emotionally and physically. What bugged me the most is not based on the story, but just how the characters excuse themselves from stic...more
Linda Smatzny
This book was a good easy quick read about friendship and dieting. Four friends - Erin,Angela,Megan and Kizzy all decide they need to lose weight for various reason. Erin wants to fit into her wedding gown,Angela wants to become hot again,Megan wants to become someone else and Kizzy needs to because of health concerns. They all learn some important life lessons during the six months leading up to Erin's wedding. This is very much a story about friendship and how it can help you change your life.
Rebecca
I found this on a sale table at the book store and decided to give it a try as a quick summer read. I admit that this is not normally my chosen genre.

The story about 4 friends trying to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle while dealing with problems in their personal lives (a controlling fiance, a potentially cheating husband, stressful jobs, etc) was just ok. I actually found it a bit difficult to keep up with which friend had which life problems in the beginning as it jumped around qui...more
Amanda
I enjoyed it, but I was hoping for more about the trials and tribulations of fitting into a bikini. This was more of a personal growth story for each of the women. still good just not what is been expecting. worth a quick read.
Anita
A great read about 4 friends who turn their cooking club into a weight loss support group. As they make life changes in their food and exercise programs, they each get to know themselves better and take a good look at their relationships.
I love the way these women support each other through thick and thin! This book made me laugh and cry in a few spots. I especially enjoyed the authors taks on marriage relationships and how the way we feel about ourselves makes a difference in how we respond to...more
Marilyn Miles
I haven't read a Sheila Roberts book yet that I didn't like! Her stories are funny and serious and keep my attention and hard to put down. And this one was no exception.
Tiffeny
I believe this is the 2nd book I read by Sheila Roberts and I really really enjoyed it. She writes about very likable characters facing real life problems. The first book I read was about a group of women with financial/over-spending problems and what they did to change their habits, generate more income, etc. This book is about a group of women with weight issues and what they did to change their lifestyles to lose weight and become healthier, better people. Sheila Roberts write these books in...more
Alice
I enjoyed the reading but had to keep notes on who was who as it jumps around a lot.

It's about 4 female friends who all have different challenges to face but all need to lose weight, so they form a support group.

There is also some romance in there, but it didn't seem to convince me.

One woman thinks her husband is having an affair, and it is a little too real for my experience.

I love how it is set in my hometown of Seattle (or in some made-up community near Seattle). I never heard of Slug Fest,...more
Kat
Brittany Seyb
Bikini Season is a really super quick read. It's about 4 friends and their journey to get into better shape for different reasons. They start out with a Cooking Club, which to me sounds like the most awesome club in the world, if you ask me. I really wanted to give this book an extra star for the fact that it contained a "Little Shop of Horrors" allusion but I couldn't entirely justify it. It was a fun book, not nitty gritty at all. So if you need something really light read this book. Whatever...more
Diane
very cute, feel good read. a group of friends in a cooking club decided to lose weight and start the bikini club. it goes thru their challenges and where they are at in life. the story more or less centers around erin who is getting married in june. but is adam her perfect mate? what about childhood friend Dan who still gives her butterflies. this book has weight watchers recipes in it too. cute.
Melanie Jacobson
I'd probably give this books two stars because it's soooo predictable and not even very funny (although the author tries) except that there are two really likeable characters, Megan and Kizzy, that I enjoyed reading about. I would even read a book about Megan and the next part of her life so I felt like I had to give it at least three stars. But the main idea of women trying to lose weight for different reasons....I'm not so into. I deal with it enough in real life that it's not the kind of stor...more
Maria Sutton
Very easy read with a predictable ending.
Susan Schutte
It was a fun, quick summer read!
Kimberly
This was the most predictable book I have ever read. It is about 4 women who are overweight and started a diet club together. It is about their experiences with weight loss. I could understand all of their struggles. At times this book got pretty corney and I had to roll my eyes. This book was pure fluff. No brain power is needed to read it. That is really nice sometimes. It was an okay book. If someone is looking for mindless, predictable reading then this is a good book for you.
Chelsea
I have been trying to finish this book for 2 months. I just can't bring myself to read it! I feel like the author was trying to teach the readers how to lose weight only what she was preaching was common sense so it was incredibly boring. Not to mention, this is supposed to be a work of fiction, not a "how to lose weight for dummies" book. I felt obligated to read it because I actually purchased it rather than checking out from the library, but I think it's time to give up.
Shari Vassello
Bikini Season is an easy to read, light book. The story revolves around a group of women that meet regularly for a cooking club. One day they decide they all need to lose weight and become healthy, renaming their club to the No-Belly Club.

The book follows each member of the club as they struggle. One member is planning a wedding, another believing her husband was having an affair, one is working long hours to become partner at her law firm.

This book is a perfect beach read!
Diana Leneker
Every time I pick up a Sheila Roberts book I know that I had better just block out a couple of hours of my time for pure enjoyment! Sheila has managed to create a circle of friends who are there for each other through thick and thin! literally! I love how supportive they are of each during their "diet club"! I wish there really was a Heart Lake and that I lived there...I would love to be friends with these gals!!!
this looks horrid. 8 39 Apr 08, 2014 05:18PM
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Summer Blowout
  • I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions
  • Sunrise On Cedar Key
  • Death of a Garage Sale Newbie (Bargain Hunters Mysteries, #1)
  • Sofia
  • Get Lucky
  • Switcheroo
  • The Spinster Sisters
  • Second Time Around
  • The Book of Peach
Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. Her books have been best-sellers, Amazon top ten romance picks, and her popular holiday novel, "On Strike for Christmas" was made into a movie for the Lifetime channel. When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s...more
More about Sheila Roberts...
The Snow Globe On Strike for Christmas Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls, #1) The Nine Lives of Christmas Love in Bloom