Start by marking “Bikini Season” as Want to Read:
Bikini Season

Bikini Season (Heart Lake #1)

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  810 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Erin Merritt has returned to her scenic hometown of Heart Lake to plan her wedding, but when she repeatedly runs into her childhood crush, she wonders if she's engaged to the wrong man. To make matters worse, all the stress is making her eat, and now she can't fit into her wedding dress.

Erin enlists the help of her cooking club--Angela, Megan and Kizzy--and the Teeny Bikin
Published April 1st 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Bikini Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bikini Season

chippyvale
Mar 18, 2012 chippyvale rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Okay so I picked up this book from the library with much anticipation because the previous book that I had read from Roberts - Love in Bloom, was excellent so I had the same hopes for this as well.

But, I was really disappointed with this one. So a group of women banded together to lose weight and called themselves the Teeny Bikini Clun. The book also documented each woman's struggles with life issues and of course, weight.

To me, this book is so mindless and so fluffy that I just didn't want to
Gina
Jul 15, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Very quick and predictable read about some unhappy, overweight women struggling to lose weight with the help of their girlfriends who were formerly part of their cooking club. One girl struggles with the decision of marrying the controlling fiancee, one worries her husband doesn't love her now that she's gained weight, one has a husband who is overweight too and constantly brings sweets back into the house, and the fourth woman has always been overweight and struggles with both the idea of being ...more
Dorothy Morawsky
Sep 10, 2014 Dorothy Morawsky rated it really liked it
Everybody is somebody no matter what size you are. Its never to late to change!
Susan
Feb 03, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
This book is competently written, and kept me entertained while waiting in my car for the kid and during a light workout on the treadmill. I appreciated the parallels to my/friends' lives in terms of approaches to weight management, and the food club provided an adequate vehicle to frame the story. The recipes at the end are a nice touch, and the only reason I'm not ready to immediately swap it out at a secondhand bookstore.

I didn't think premise, character voices, or conflicts were superlative
Princess
Feb 27, 2009 Princess rated it liked it
I saw this on the Reader's Choice shelf and decided to give it a try. I enjoyed it. It follows several women through their different lives. They've been in a cooking club together and after a eye-opening doctor's appointment for one of the women, the club morphs into a get healthy support group they title the Bikini Club. It's by no means a literary read, but it is fun and warm and affirming with the requisite happy ending.
Teresa Grubbs
Oct 24, 2009 Teresa Grubbs rated it it was amazing
Great chick lit! Four friends go from having a cooking club to meeting weekly as a diet support group when one wants to fit into her wedding gown, another gets dire warnings from her doctor, another thinks her husband is having an affair, and the last one is tired of being alone. Wonderful story about friendships between strong women,romances in different stages, and the hardships of dieting.
Stephanie C.
Apr 13, 2009 Stephanie C. rated it really liked it
This was a fun filled book of friendship and an issue close to most women's hearts-weightloss, and the journey of self discovery.I loved Kinzy and her relationship with her husband, but was annoyed Angela's distrustful relationship with hers. This read like I was watching a geat chick flick, and I bet ya it will be on the big screen soon, with the title of "The Teeny-Bikini Club".
Jess
Mar 12, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
Another feel good, heartwarming story by Roberts. It followed the lives of four women as they each decided they needed to lose weight. Every woman had a different reason for why they wanted to become healthier, but they stood together to do it. This was not just a journey of weight loss, but of trying to learn to love yourself the way you are and making the most out of life.
Brianna
Feb 06, 2011 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, comtemorpary
it is very heart-warming read about these women trying to lose wieght to look sexy and restoring their confinace in themselves. It's something that the reader can relate too. Also, if you have read Love In Bloom, Hope makes an appearnace, Reading about these four women has gotten me in the mood to re-read about Hope's and the other women stories in Love in Blood.
Laurie
Jan 05, 2010 Laurie rated it it was ok
I grabbed this as I walked by the shelf at the library. I wanted a lite read. It was about a group of women that start dieting together for different reasons. It was okay and entertaining enough that I finished it. But it was a bit to much fluff and it made me feel guilty for some of my food choices.
Dean Frech
Apr 19, 2012 Dean Frech rated it it was amazing
Love this book! If you're working on a weight loss goal, this is definitely a great book for you! If you just want a light spring read, you'll enjoy this book.
Robyn
Mar 21, 2015 Robyn rated it did not like it
This book was poorly written, full of cliches, and loaded with one-dimensional characters. None of the women who have men have any personality besides how they relate to them, and Megan, the only single woman, is only losing weight to find a man. The plot was predictable and flat and not all that interesting to begin with.

With all that being said, I actually enjoyed reading this. Sometimes you need something fluffy and mindless to take a break from actual literature. It's undeserving of more th
Kathy Hiester
Mar 17, 2011 Kathy Hiester rated it really liked it
Sheila Roberts takes us to Heart Lake, WA, where the members of a neighborhood cooking club have realized they’re all starting to have health and emotional issues related to weight gain. They decide to keep the club together as a support system and learn to cook healthy. Unfortunately, the various men in their lives have, shall we say, less than helpful reactions. I have to say I understand this because it seems every time I mention the word diet my hubby tends to make me a full artery clogging ...more
Alannie Marshall
Nov 05, 2014 Alannie Marshall rated it it was ok
I only read this book because it was lent to me by a family member. It was okay as far as books go. Nothing world-changing or impactful. The characters were cute, but I found the married couples were *ahem* very much in love- if you catch my drift. This made me slightly uncomfortable. The main romance I found a tad rushed and very cliche. Overall, not something I would recommend or read again, but not the worst book I have ever read.
Katie
Aug 22, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Bikini Season is a quick summer read, which made me laugh out loud, but at the same time, made me a tad bit angry. You follow the weight loss/gain of four friends who have one main goal, which is to fit into their bikinis at the end of the summer. Along the way they each have their ups and downs, but they continue to meet up each week to help each other out, both emotionally and physically. What bugged me the most is not based on the story, but just how the characters excuse themselves from stic ...more
Diana Murphy
May 25, 2015 Diana Murphy rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read! 4 woman decide to turn their Friday night Cooking Club into the Teeny Bikini Diet Club for various reasons; doctor's orders, wedding dress not fitting, work reasons. What a great life story each of them have. You laugh with them, cry with them and could totally related. Definitely got me some motivation! I may have to start a club!!! Loved it! Highly recommend this summer read!
Linda Smatzny
Jan 18, 2014 Linda Smatzny rated it liked it
This book was a good easy quick read about friendship and dieting. Four friends - Erin,Angela,Megan and Kizzy all decide they need to lose weight for various reason. Erin wants to fit into her wedding gown,Angela wants to become hot again,Megan wants to become someone else and Kizzy needs to because of health concerns. They all learn some important life lessons during the six months leading up to Erin's wedding. This is very much a story about friendship and how it can help you change your life.
Karen S Green
May 10, 2016 Karen S Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Power of Women Friends

The Power of female friends is an awesome example of a bond which has multi facets. In this case, the ups and downs are encased in trying to loose weight which is merely the vehicle driving these interesting ladies. Worth reading.
Rebecca
Jul 04, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I found this on a sale table at the book store and decided to give it a try as a quick summer read. I admit that this is not normally my chosen genre.

The story about 4 friends trying to lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle while dealing with problems in their personal lives (a controlling fiance, a potentially cheating husband, stressful jobs, etc) was just ok. I actually found it a bit difficult to keep up with which friend had which life problems in the beginning as it jumped around qui
Amanda
Jul 04, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, but I was hoping for more about the trials and tribulations of fitting into a bikini. This was more of a personal growth story for each of the women. still good just not what is been expecting. worth a quick read.
Stephanie Alvarez
so I did enjoy this book , there were some parts that really cracked me up! but I did have several problems with it, the ending of this book felt like it was rushed & unrealistic.. it's not the worst book in the world, but I'm not sure that I would pick it up again.
Anita
May 06, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
A great read about 4 friends who turn their cooking club into a weight loss support group. As they make life changes in their food and exercise programs, they each get to know themselves better and take a good look at their relationships.
I love the way these women support each other through thick and thin! This book made me laugh and cry in a few spots. I especially enjoyed the authors taks on marriage relationships and how the way we feel about ourselves makes a difference in how we respond to
Diana
May 10, 2016 Diana rated it it was ok
I normally like Ms. Roberts' writing, but I thought this was just not in her usual top-notch format. The characters were one-dimensional & just not fun to spend any time with.
Heather Murphy
Jun 13, 2015 Heather Murphy rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read to get my mind off of work. The 4 girls meeting for their cooking club decide to lose weight. It was entertaining reading about their relationships.
Marilyn Miles
May 18, 2014 Marilyn Miles rated it really liked it
I haven't read a Sheila Roberts book yet that I didn't like! Her stories are funny and serious and keep my attention and hard to put down. And this one was no exception.
Tiffeny
Aug 02, 2013 Tiffeny rated it really liked it
I believe this is the 2nd book I read by Sheila Roberts and I really really enjoyed it. She writes about very likable characters facing real life problems. The first book I read was about a group of women with financial/over-spending problems and what they did to change their habits, generate more income, etc. This book is about a group of women with weight issues and what they did to change their lifestyles to lose weight and become healthier, better people. Sheila Roberts write these books in ...more
Brenda Decara
May 28, 2015 Brenda Decara rated it really liked it
A fun, light read. Sometimes you just want a book that makes you smile but doesn't ask anything from you. That's what I wanted, that's what I got.
Alice
May 26, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-group
I enjoyed the reading but had to keep notes on who was who as it jumps around a lot.

It's about 4 female friends who all have different challenges to face but all need to lose weight, so they form a support group.

There is also some romance in there, but it didn't seem to convince me.

One woman thinks her husband is having an affair, and it is a little too real for my experience.

I love how it is set in my hometown of Seattle (or in some made-up community near Seattle). I never heard of Slug Fest,
Kat
Nov 02, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Carla J
Jul 21, 2016 Carla J rated it really liked it
This was a bit unexpected but a fun read. The women of the Bikini Club are trying to lose weight and get into shape for their health but discover so much about life, themselves and each other.
this looks horrid. 9 42 Oct 30, 2014 02:22PM
  • Nice Girls Finish First
  • Not Quite A Mom
  • The Paper Marriage
  • Belonging
  • The Reign of the Favored Women
  • Project Everlasting: Two Bachelors Discover the Secrets of America's Greatest Marriages
  • The Tiara Club
  • All or Nothing (The Coxwells, #4)
  • The Icing on the Cupcake
  • Face Value
  • Secrets of the Hollywood Girls Club (Hollywood Girls Club, #2)
  • Switchcraft
  • How To Be Cool
  • The Friendship Test
  • I'm Over All That: And Other Confessions
  • Walt Disney World (Little-Known Facts about Well-Known Places)
  • Summer Blowout
  • The Vampire's Revenge (Savannah Vampire, #5)
Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. Her books have been best-sellers, Amazon top ten romance picks, and her popular holiday novel, "On Strike for Christmas" was made into a movie for the Lifetime channel. When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s ...more
More about Sheila Roberts...

Heart Lake (4 books)