Start by marking “House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)

House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Sector 221-G: For the whole of Federation history, this large area of space has been controlled by the Thallonians, a cruel, militaristic race of which little is knownexcept that they rule the other races in their sector with vicious iron hand.
Now the Thallonian Empire has collapsed and the systems it once ruled are in chaos. Old hatreds are surfacing. Petty tyrants contro
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about House of Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Cards

Imzadi by Peter DavidSpock's World by Diane DuaneUhura's Song by Janet KaganYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
28th out of 224 books — 158 voters
Marked by P.C. CastVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMoon Called by Patricia BriggsEvermore by Alyson NoelBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Books That Should Become TV Series
93rd out of 121 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
This novel was very important for the line of books of "Pocket Books" about Star Trek. Since before this, there were only novels about the original series and spin-offs aired on TV, however, "Pocket Books" made a strong bet giving green light to this idea by author, Peter David, to create a new Star Trek spin-off series but exclusively for the development on prose novel format. Peter David knew that the key factor to make this works was to "cast" an interesting crew, in the same way that it woul ...more
Libby
It’s amazing how the content of the story can make such a difference. A few years ago, I picked up Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David and did not like it at all. Apparently the story just did not appeal to my personal tastes because it certainly wasn’t the author. On recommendation of other Goodreads member I picked up Peter David’s Star Trek: New Frontier series and absolutely loved it! Story was fun, style was sharp and true to Trek universe, and there was a pleasantly surprising amount of ...more
Mary JL
Apr 25, 2011 Mary JL rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: die hard Star Trek fans only
As a former die-hard Star Trek fan who still enjoys a good story, I picked up the first four books of Peter David's "New Frntier" Star Trek spin-off. I was curious to see what was new.

NOt much. Bascially, the story is Star Trek--a few different characters but no major differences from any of the other TREK series. Not bad--but very average.

Recommended for die hard Star Trek fans only.
Sean Randall
The majority of authors I have read who have dealt with a Star Trek novel have treated the characters and universe itself with some semblance of reverence.

"What the hell kind of person was capable of sounding erudite while losing blood out of his face by the pint?"

Peter David seems intent on breaking this trend, with his combination of amusing asides and in-character sarcasm.

"please leave me to my work. This is a scientifically curious situation, and it takes precedence over the famed Thallonian
Ian
I actually read a handful of these back as a kid. I had just graduated from the kiddy section in the library and started pulling books from the genre rack, starting with everything Star Trek. I think I read every Trek book they had, expect for "Spock Must Die!", which looked too stupid for words.

I didn't recall much about these books, besides I thought they were pretty dumb, even for the time. And I was right, they are dumb, but now I'm old enough to appreciate them for just how dumb they are.

S
Brian Lewis
Overall, I enjoyed the book. David does a good job of setting up the overall flow of a story. The whole Thallonian Empire back plot is really interesting. The initial hopping around might confuse readers, but that's apparently how many of the New Frontier books start off.

The biggest flaw with the book, and the series, is the characters that he developed. Almost all of the characters in the book are far off in comic book land. Their motivations are extremely basic and almost sub-human. Even the b
Diego Calefato
A great book. Using The Next Generation as a launching platform, it introduces new characters and familiar members to an all new adventure. There is just enough back stories on new characters and a good amount of back up from The Enterprise Crew to keep the reader entertained and page turning. The unexpected humour between Will, Picard, Data, and Troi is well received and keeps it fresh even though it is halfway in the book. The character struggles, the coming to terms with identity loss, the fa ...more
Scott Tuplin
As a softcore Trekkie, I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I have enjoyed a few episodes on occassion, but the majority of my appreciation for the franchise comes from the 2009 film, which I know was much more action-orientated than the TV show. I'm glad to say that I wasn't disappointed, as this first book in the New Frontier series has plenty of action, provides some interesting back stories for some of the main characters of the series, and contains an appearance or two of a few much-love ...more
Jonathan Moss
I had heard of this series long ago and always wanted to give it a shot, but I could never find the first one. I finally got my hands on the first four original books, and I'm glad I did.

I really like the backstory for the characters and how it's presented. I find myself drawn to the characters and excited about what's to come.

I only have two gripes about the book.

First is the representation of the canon characters of Picard and Riker. While the essence of those characters is intact, they say th
Dan Quigley
I was pleasantly surprised at just how engaging this plot was, the author's ability to move things along without dawdling, the new characters he has introduced, and the fascinating premise for the entire series. Star fleet captains are so upright and Star Fleety. It's nice to get a new one who has his own rules and agenda. I have already ordered the next in the series, also by Peter David, and can't wait for its arrival.
Theresa
Basically a pulpy action read set in the Trek universe, which feeling is only enhanced by the fact that the early entries into this series are serialised. Occasional lapses in pov management and the familiar canon characters feel just marginally off the mark, but a quick fun read if you like pulp, and definitely more accessible than most science fiction franchise tie-in novels.
Jamie Mccay
Short book, I read it as part of the New Frontier 4 book collection. I've not read many star trek books although I am well aware of the universe. I loved it, its a great introduction to a new story, original but with a great interaction to the wider starfleet environment. simply put, this will appeal to star trek virgins and old school trekkies alike!
Steve
I eat this stuff like cotton candy. Should I be embarrassed by low brow fiction? Well, heck, I enjoy it. A guilty pleasure. This series started in 1997, and is a new captain, built off the TV shows. Next Generation and the first series characters are present. It's new built on the old. I ordered the next one.
Kim McGreal
I'd heard good things about the New Frontier series, so when I picked up this book, I had high hopes for it.

And I wasn't disappointed. Peter David, as always, has a writing style that immediately sucks me in, despite me having no idea who these characters were, and keeps me hanging on all the way through.

The only problem I had with it is that, in terms of being a Star Trek book, there is very little actual plot. I guess this is because it's the first in the new series and needs to set up the cha
Elizabeth
This is a compelling start to the exploration of a new sector of space and a new set of characters, all already richly woven into the ST universe. In this particular volume, it's refreshing to get such a long look at life outside Starfleet. While the main character is more of a warrior than I'm usually drawn to, he has some complex potential. The central new female character of this book has captured my attention, and I hope to learn more about her. I have eagerly gone looking for the next books ...more
Dianah
This will be a very short review because I need to hurry on to the next book. I really enjoyed all the character back stories and I look forward to how these people will manage to work together. If I have any complaint it would be the over-the-top admiration Picard has for M'k'n'zy a.k.a. MacKenzie Calhoun. I particularly like the idea of the half Vulcan/half Romulan science officer and hope to see her in the rest of the series.
Paula
This is your typical star trek novel in some ways, a spaceship filled with a variety of aliens and humans exploring space. However! one of the aliens is an androgen he/she (a combination of both male and female) So you might say, the first Gay/Lesbian character in a star trek series (even if this one is only in book form) also keep an eye on the female Vulcan (hint: there might be a possible love interest in the above character.
Azar
Wow. I'd heard that Mackenzie Calhoun was the definition of a Marty Stu, but I thought the people who told me that had to be exaggerating. They weren't--he even has the purple eyes! In spite of that, though, an enjoyable enough read--most of the supporting cast, at least that I've met so far, more than makes up for the, er, overaccomplished captain. *g* I was just annoyed to find out that the first few books all end on a cliffhanger!
Brett
The first 4 books of this series are very entertaining. (House of Cards - End Game) They are relatively short and should really be considered as a single novel; I read all 4 one weekend. The writing is very concise without a lot of time spent with unnecessary over-description but his writing style does feel a little lacking. All in all a very entertaining read that I would highly recommend if you want something light.
Daniel Kukwa
A quick read -- complete with many fan-pleasing cameos -- that introduces Peter David's NEW FRONTIER: a long-running fictional captain & crew series to the "Star Trek" book universe. I enjoyed it for what it was...but not enough to continue to follow the adventures of the USS Excalibur. Ah well, if "Voyager" and "Enterprise" proved anything, it's that not everything "Star Trek" will turn my crank.

Chris Bare
I've wanted to read this series forever and finally got volumes 1-4 as an all in 1 ebook.
Good thing too, because 1-4 are really one long story. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. This book, vol 1, was all setup and background and moved kind of slowly. It just never seemed to get up to any epic action, and by the time vol 4 got to it's rather bizarre and unbelievable end I was tired of it.
Kathleen
Cameos from Spock and Picard--as well a numerous other Next Gen characters--introduce the cast of this series. However, that's all this book really is--an opening credit shot. This has the potential to be a well told story. Certainly the characters are all very interesting. But all that has really happened so far was introductions.

That said, everyone loves a good half-Vulcan half-Romulan.
Jonathan
Not as good as I remembers it from years ago.
Kristen
A fun start to Peter David's series. The characters were well introduced, though I think it wasn't explained so well about how and why Calhoun got into Starfleet. If I hadn't already read a later book that actually talked about that back story, I would have been a little confused about that. Oh well. I thought it was a great start.
Starfish
I found this book really interesting in that while sort of as pop-fiction as you can get, this book broke all the rules and still remained very readable, even for me -- not a hard-core sci-fi fan by any stretch of the imagination. There were aspects of it I found amazingly unnecessary, but for the most part good.

Found at EPIC!
Alejandro
Pulp, but fun pulp by Peter David. An original enough idea. Essentially writing completely new adventures and characters into the Star Trek universe, non-dependent on a continuing TV series for material. If you're a Trekkie, this series is worth a read. Just don't expect it to be cutting-edge sci-fi or anything.
David Palazzolo
The biggest problem I have with this book is that it fell victim to the "serial book" craze that hit around the late 90's-early 2000's. Volumes 1-4 of this series are actually one novel chopped into fourths. Because of this, I'm not going to review this series until book four, "End Game."

Eric
Forgot how fun the characters from Star Trek:NG were. This book uses them to introduce new characters to the NG universe created only for use in novels. Engaging characters and wonderful plots keep readers looking forward to the next in the series.
Adam
This book has kinda a weird vibe, its like they took some other sci-fi story and threw some star trek characters in to punch it up here and there. I will probably pick up book two if I find it used somewhere, but not really chompin' at the bit to read more.
Phillip
...to be continued? We didn't even get on the ship yet? Oh well, good (short) book setting up this new novel-based Star Trek series. Good cameos by Spock and Picard. Looking forward to reading the next book and figuring out if I'll like this series!
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • All Good Things...
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, Book 4)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Emissary
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to humo
More about Peter David...
Imzadi (Star Trek the Next Generation) Q-Squared Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18) X-Factor: The Longest Night Vendetta (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

“...They are merely scars, not mortal wounds and you must use them to propel you forward.” 7 likes