Start by marking “House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)

House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,245 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Sector 221-G: For the whole of Federation history, this large area of space has been controlled by the Thallonians, a cruel, militaristic race of which little is knownexcept that they rule the other races in their sector with vicious iron hand.
Now the Thallonian Empire has collapsed and the systems it once ruled are in chaos. Old hatreds are surfacing. Petty tyrants contro
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about House of Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Cards

Imzadi by Peter DavidUhura's Song by Janet KaganSpock's World by Diane DuaneYesterday's Son by A.C. CrispinEnterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Best Star Trek Books
29th out of 245 books — 181 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadMarked by P.C. CastMoon Called by Patricia BriggsEvermore by Alyson NoelBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Books That Should Become TV Series
101st out of 129 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
This novel was very important for the line of books of "Pocket Books" about Star Trek. Since before this, there were only novels about the original series and spin-offs aired on TV, however, "Pocket Books" made a strong bet giving green light to this idea by author, Peter David, to create a new Star Trek spin-off series but exclusively for the development on prose novel format. Peter David knew that the key factor to make this works was to "cast" an interesting crew, in the same way that it woul ...more
Libby
Aug 18, 2009 Libby rated it really liked it
It’s amazing how the content of the story can make such a difference. A few years ago, I picked up Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David and did not like it at all. Apparently the story just did not appeal to my personal tastes because it certainly wasn’t the author. On recommendation of other Goodreads member I picked up Peter David’s Star Trek: New Frontier series and absolutely loved it! Story was fun, style was sharp and true to Trek universe, and there was a pleasantly surprising amount of ...more
Mary JL
Apr 25, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die hard Star Trek fans only
As a former die-hard Star Trek fan who still enjoys a good story, I picked up the first four books of Peter David's "New Frntier" Star Trek spin-off. I was curious to see what was new.

NOt much. Bascially, the story is Star Trek--a few different characters but no major differences from any of the other TREK series. Not bad--but very average.

Recommended for die hard Star Trek fans only.
Sean Randall
Apr 16, 2009 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing
The majority of authors I have read who have dealt with a Star Trek novel have treated the characters and universe itself with some semblance of reverence.

"What the hell kind of person was capable of sounding erudite while losing blood out of his face by the pint?"

Peter David seems intent on breaking this trend, with his combination of amusing asides and in-character sarcasm.

"please leave me to my work. This is a scientifically curious situation, and it takes precedence over the famed Thallonian
Ian
May 08, 2014 Ian rated it liked it
I actually read a handful of these back as a kid. I had just graduated from the kiddy section in the library and started pulling books from the genre rack, starting with everything Star Trek. I think I read every Trek book they had, expect for "Spock Must Die!", which looked too stupid for words.

I didn't recall much about these books, besides I thought they were pretty dumb, even for the time. And I was right, they are dumb, but now I'm old enough to appreciate them for just how dumb they are.

S
Brian Lewis
Jul 29, 2014 Brian Lewis rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. David does a good job of setting up the overall flow of a story. The whole Thallonian Empire back plot is really interesting. The initial hopping around might confuse readers, but that's apparently how many of the New Frontier books start off.

The biggest flaw with the book, and the series, is the characters that he developed. Almost all of the characters in the book are far off in comic book land. Their motivations are extremely basic and almost sub-human. Even the b
Amy Softa
Jul 20, 2015 Amy Softa rated it it was ok
I received the first part of what could be the final book in this series from the publisher through Net Galley, not knowing it was part of a larger series. I did enjoy the book, review here, but felt like I was missing out on the chemistry between the characters. I decided to go back and start the series from the beginning as my first true venture into Trek fiction. Now I still feel like I am missing out on some character history, but I think this is probably still a good starting point for this ...more
Dan Quigley
Jan 16, 2015 Dan Quigley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-books
Title: House of Cards
Author: Peter David
Series: New Frontier, book one
Copyright Date: 1997
Number of pages: 168

This novel is the first in a new series concept developed by senior editor John J. Ordover and author Peter David called the New Frontier. It takes place in Sector 221-G, an area of space controlled for all of Federation history by a militaristic race called the Thallonians, of which little is known when this series starts. The Thallonians ruled the other races in their sector with a vic
Diego Calefato
Oct 24, 2014 Diego Calefato rated it it was amazing
A great book. Using The Next Generation as a launching platform, it introduces new characters and familiar members to an all new adventure. There is just enough back stories on new characters and a good amount of back up from The Enterprise Crew to keep the reader entertained and page turning. The unexpected humour between Will, Picard, Data, and Troi is well received and keeps it fresh even though it is halfway in the book. The character struggles, the coming to terms with identity loss, the fa ...more
Mike
Mar 22, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Peter David's bold attempt to create a new Star Trek series entirely from scratch is fun and an easy read.
This volume reads like the first act of a larger book. I enjoyed the extended character introductions and the ongoing situation is set up well but it ends just as the plot is about to get going - I guess this will be corrected by the second book.
A more serious criticism of this book would be its over-reliance on "guest" appearances from other Star Trek series which somewhat stifle the newe
Jonathan Moss
Apr 25, 2012 Jonathan Moss rated it liked it
I had heard of this series long ago and always wanted to give it a shot, but I could never find the first one. I finally got my hands on the first four original books, and I'm glad I did.

I really like the backstory for the characters and how it's presented. I find myself drawn to the characters and excited about what's to come.

I only have two gripes about the book.

First is the representation of the canon characters of Picard and Riker. While the essence of those characters is intact, they say th
Loki
Feb 21, 2016 Loki rated it really liked it
Sometimes, you're just in the mood for comfort food. And Peter David's mix of snarky banter, pop culture references and deep dives into Trek trivia is exactly what I find comforting. A little obvious in places, but it still makes me smile. This volume is largely table-setting - getting most of the pieces in place so that the actual mission can begin - but it's still a lot of fun, thanks to David's skill at characterisation.
Theresa
Dec 17, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: space
Basically a pulpy action read set in the Trek universe, which feeling is only enhanced by the fact that the early entries into this series are serialised. Occasional lapses in pov management and the familiar canon characters feel just marginally off the mark, but a quick fun read if you like pulp, and definitely more accessible than most science fiction franchise tie-in novels.
Jamie Mccay
Jul 19, 2014 Jamie Mccay rated it it was amazing
Short book, I read it as part of the New Frontier 4 book collection. I've not read many star trek books although I am well aware of the universe. I loved it, its a great introduction to a new story, original but with a great interaction to the wider starfleet environment. simply put, this will appeal to star trek virgins and old school trekkies alike!
Steve
I eat this stuff like cotton candy. Should I be embarrassed by low brow fiction? Well, heck, I enjoy it. A guilty pleasure. This series started in 1997, and is a new captain, built off the TV shows. Next Generation and the first series characters are present. It's new built on the old. I ordered the next one.
Michael Holloway
Feb 22, 2016 Michael Holloway rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is astonishing, in that it is all backstory with no plot until the very final chapter. Characters are as one-dimensional as it is possible to get - most jarringly Jellico is changed from a competent captain with a very different style to Picard, to a blistering idiot who all the other characters take pleasure in annoying.
For the first 'proper' Star Trek EU novel, some very strange choices were made, and the whole thing falls completely flat.
Bex Godfrey
I started reading this in my bus to work then it got lost in the mess. A good story but it's all set up for the future ones. I wish it had been bound up with book two to give a more complete story. Future volumes bear investigating but I don't think I'll be reread I g this one.
Garrett Nicolai
May 11, 2016 Garrett Nicolai rated it liked it
Less a novel, and more a prologue, it's fortunate this book is collected with the other parts of the first "New Frontier" story, because it really serves as little more than an introduction to a handful of characters.

And Spock is hilarious.
Zac
Oct 11, 2015 Zac rated it liked it
There were things I really enjoyed about this book one of which was not its brevity. However, it certainly introduces interesting characters and ideas to the readers and sets them up for grander journeys ahead. This book, however, must be followed up by it's sequel for maximum value.
Kim McGreal
Feb 13, 2011 Kim McGreal rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
I'd heard good things about the New Frontier series, so when I picked up this book, I had high hopes for it.

And I wasn't disappointed. Peter David, as always, has a writing style that immediately sucks me in, despite me having no idea who these characters were, and keeps me hanging on all the way through.

The only problem I had with it is that, in terms of being a Star Trek book, there is very little actual plot. I guess this is because it's the first in the new series and needs to set up the cha
Nathan Burgoine
Jun 25, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it liked it
A "new" series in the Trek Universe, Peter David took a few characters from TNG, added a splash of his own characters, and began the "New Frontier" series.

Now, all that said, the first four books in this series are a little clunky to begin with. The inclusion of Shelby and Lefler keep a lot of it afloat, and the Dr. Selar is quite well done. The new characters need more time to warm up, but once they do, the series takes off.
RumBelle
Feb 25, 2016 RumBelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Of all the Star Trek series I have read, this was the most odd beginning to a series. The first 50 or so pages was about Calhoun's young life. Then the middle 50 or so focused on other characters, and barely mentioned Calhoun at all. The last chunk of pages, brought him back, but only at the last five or so pages, and then you find out that this isn't even a self contained novel, the story continues. I really like Calhoun as a character, so I was disappointed as his lack of appearance (in a seri ...more
Jamie
Jan 20, 2016 Jamie rated it liked it
Quick easy read, jumped about a bit. Ending slightly abrupt. Good scene setter for the series so far.
Sharon
Jan 17, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Good beginning to the series.
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
This is a compelling start to the exploration of a new sector of space and a new set of characters, all already richly woven into the ST universe. In this particular volume, it's refreshing to get such a long look at life outside Starfleet. While the main character is more of a warrior than I'm usually drawn to, he has some complex potential. The central new female character of this book has captured my attention, and I hope to learn more about her. I have eagerly gone looking for the next books ...more
Dianah
Aug 07, 2010 Dianah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, 100-books
This will be a very short review because I need to hurry on to the next book. I really enjoyed all the character back stories and I look forward to how these people will manage to work together. If I have any complaint it would be the over-the-top admiration Picard has for M'k'n'zy a.k.a. MacKenzie Calhoun. I particularly like the idea of the half Vulcan/half Romulan science officer and hope to see her in the rest of the series.
Paula
Mar 03, 2008 Paula rated it liked it
This is your typical star trek novel in some ways, a spaceship filled with a variety of aliens and humans exploring space. However! one of the aliens is an androgen he/she (a combination of both male and female) So you might say, the first Gay/Lesbian character in a star trek series (even if this one is only in book form) also keep an eye on the female Vulcan (hint: there might be a possible love interest in the above character.
Azar
Jan 10, 2008 Azar rated it it was ok
Wow. I'd heard that Mackenzie Calhoun was the definition of a Marty Stu, but I thought the people who told me that had to be exaggerating. They weren't--he even has the purple eyes! In spite of that, though, an enjoyable enough read--most of the supporting cast, at least that I've met so far, more than makes up for the, er, overaccomplished captain. *g* I was just annoyed to find out that the first few books all end on a cliffhanger!
Brett
Jan 27, 2011 Brett rated it really liked it
The first 4 books of this series are very entertaining. (House of Cards - End Game) They are relatively short and should really be considered as a single novel; I read all 4 one weekend. The writing is very concise without a lot of time spent with unnecessary over-description but his writing style does feel a little lacking. All in all a very entertaining read that I would highly recommend if you want something light.
Chris Bare
Jul 15, 2012 Chris Bare rated it it was ok
I've wanted to read this series forever and finally got volumes 1-4 as an all in 1 ebook.
Good thing too, because 1-4 are really one long story. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. This book, vol 1, was all setup and background and moved kind of slowly. It just never seemed to get up to any epic action, and by the time vol 4 got to it's rather bizarre and unbelievable end I was tired of it.
Star Trek Reads: House of Cards, Peter David 4 9 Jan 04, 2015 07:10PM
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • Fallen Heroes
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16; Invasion, #3)
  • The Big Game
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to humo
More about Peter David...

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)

“...They are merely scars, not mortal wounds and you must use them to propel you forward.” 8 likes