Start by marking “Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)

Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren #2)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,087 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Breo-Saight, the young archer from Hero's Song, has abandoned her lifelong mission to avenge her father's murder. But just as she stops pursuing the murderers, they turn up again, leading Brie to her birthright--a fire arrow.

The magical arrow leads Brie to a strange country, where she finds the family and happiness she's never known. But she also finds evil at work--the do
Published September 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Arrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Arrow

Aug 05, 2009 Summer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Though many would disagree, I thought that this book was way better than Hero's Song, though I like east perhaps the best.
In this story we go into the life of Breo-Saight, the secretive archer who is thirsty for revenge. Her blood lust is real, she trully wants to get her father's murderers and cause them the same pain that they caused her and her father. I thought her character was much more deep than Collun's was in the first book. She abandons her guise as a boy while still being quite tou
Jun 14, 2016 Aelvana rated it liked it
Brie is settling in with Collun in his father's old dun by the sea. But amid the peaceful labor planting the land, she's still bothered by her promise to herself to avenge her father's murder. Then she gets an unexpected nudge that leads her to a fire arrow that is her birthright, and a country that holds as many questions as answers. Power stirs in the arrow, and somehow in Brie when she holds it, power that may have a different sort of destiny set out for her . . .

I like this less than the fir
Jun 24, 2015 Eskana rated it liked it
Well, I remembered right. I read this book 7-8 years ago, and all I could remember was that is was good. I just recently finished the first book in the series, Hero's Song, and was disappointed, so I didn't know what to expect when I picked this up for a re-read.

And am I glad I did! "Fire Arrow" is everything "Hero's Song" was not, to put it briefly, interesting and original. The book follows Breo-Saight, aka Brie, one of the main characters from the last book. After witnessing her father's murd
Jun 02, 2015 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
So I got this book off the dollar rack and didn't realize that it was the second in a series. However, the thing that got me most about this book was the writing style, so I don't know if it would have made a difference. I really felt like the book "told me" instead of "showed me" if that makes any sense. The book was made up of very very short scenes. Also, the magic in this world makes zero sense. One last complaint: main female character has both male counterparts falls for her? No thank you. ...more
A fantasy novel I edited back before the dawn of time.
Nicole Pramik
Edith Pattou's East is one my favorite multiple POV novels; yet as engaging as that book was, the shorter works of the Songs of Eirren series (?) didn't quite pull me in. It's not that they're poorly written or even a bear to read - they're just average YA fantasy. Basically, if you've read a bunch of fantasy, nothing here will be new to you.

In the case of Fire Arrow, I really enjoyed the quasi-Celtic world Pattou constructs but it's a magic-light fantasy story. Brie, the main character (who wa
Aug 31, 2010 Eslin rated it it was ok
I just finished this book last night. I bought it at book fair. I had no idea it was a second book. Wished I had read Hero's Song: The First Book of Eirren first. I was a little confused in the beginning chapters figuring out what all the fantasy words represented. I thought the author could have been a little more clear about the story in Hero's Song so the transition would have been smoother. I liked the plot, but found Brie a little boring. The author didn't know much about archery so I could ...more
J.T. Williams
Jan 10, 2015 J.T. Williams rated it really liked it
It was an exciting sequel told from the POV of a side character from the first book. I recently looked for the Ebook version so I could read it again but sadly it could not be found. A bit different from the first with the main character being an experienced archer as opposed to a simple farmer, but it was nice to learn more of the backstory.
Jun 17, 2014 Stacey rated it really liked it
Second book in the series. Thought this was better than book one. Target age late elementary to middle school. Adventure, hint of romance, and touch of magic. Looking forward to the third book in this series.
Sep 03, 2015 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever checked out on my own at a real public library. I'd never had access to a public library before so it was pretty exciting. I was in 4th grade when I read this. It still withstands the test of time.
Apr 14, 2016 Matea rated it really liked it
Loved Brie's conflicts that she has, and her internal struggle with everything, although the big reveal at the end is totally forseeable. Great continuation. I wish there were more books!
Mar 28, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it
Breo-Saight the young archer readers met in Hero’s Song along with Collun as we jump back into the fantasy world of Edith Pattou. Breo-Saight in search of her father’s murderers but in turn finds a magical arrow bequeathed to her at birth. This arrow causes strange visions and an even stranger sensation that she must hurry to Dungal. Breo-Saight leaves death in her quake as traitors and assassins follow her trail and bring trouble wherever she goes. Readers will who loved the action and adventur ...more
May 15, 2015 Kate added it
Shelves: fantasy
One of my favorite fantasy books in middle school - I liked it better than the first book.
Apr 07, 2015 Lauralee rated it really liked it
Great sequel to "Hero's Song". Made me wish there was another book to come.
Kanomi Okina
LOVED THE BOOK!!! Hope Pattou writes more!
Deanna Drai Turner
Mar 12, 2012 Deanna Drai Turner rated it really liked it
Ha. Part two of Pattou's story. First the Hero's Song...story of the first charactor. Now Fire Arrow. Story of the second character, female this time. FUN again. What does bum me out though is that Pattou has decided not to write the third book, the story of the 3rd character....which I long for. She explains that the third character, Taliesin (to be Merlin) is too much a free spirit, too evasion to nail down...I would have to agree, but still hate that she did not figure that out before she beg ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jul 07, 2013 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Pretty good summary at the beginning, so I think you could start this book without the prior one. There are a few things that I think would be confusing, though.

Brie has to come to terms with the revenge she desires for her father's death as well as her growing feelings for Collum. Bricriu is back as a bad guy, but there's someone new who is planning evil and there are more strange creatures to fight.

There are more witches/mages in this book than in the first, I think. Magic plays a much strong
Tina Wilson
Jul 21, 2015 Tina Wilson rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this sequel. Liked the character development and the cast of characters she meets along the way. YA
Apr 14, 2009 Ariel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Excellent, I couldn't put it down! Although I haven't read the first book, Fire Arrow was great. Much of what happened in the first book was summarized. A young lady of Eirren, called Brie, is determined to take revenge on her father's killers. Brie meets morg, goat-men, Scathians, an evil sorcerer, a weather worker, a wyll, and many others. And when when Dungal and Eirren are in danger, Brie feels it is up to her to help.
just okay. I'll read the next one if there is one.
Nov 04, 2008 Hack rated it it was ok
King Haddock
Dec 31, 2010 King Haddock rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book definitely got off to a slow start. It was also a lot more segmented than the first one, making it less cohesive. However, overall, I must say that the culture and characterization of the book made it better than the first installment in the series. Still would not go around recommending this book to everyone, though.
Nov 02, 2012 Tori rated it it was ok
While I liked Fire Arrow better than Hero's Song, I still found the similarities to other fantasy novels somewhat annoying. It was less so in this book, though, than the first one. I also enjoyed Brie's inner struggle with revenge. This was a good series, one I will be keeping on my shelf, but I have read better.
Jan 30, 2010 Greymalkin rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Sequel to Hero's Song. A very interesting character study that I think was pulled off pretty well. I liked the way that the relationships were examined and explored. The main character could love several people but not necessarily end up with any of them or have one be the "love of her life" so obviously.
Nov 30, 2010 Océanne rated it really liked it
I really loved this mystical, medieval story. Brie, witness' her fathers murder when young,
and now, she is a young women. She finds a magic arrow that has a mind of it's own.
Suddenly, Brie is leading an army to battle a brave, mighty, powerful magician afraid of
only one thing, the fire arrow.
Feb 26, 2012 Whitney rated it liked it
Fire Arrow continues the story started in Hero's Song and tells Breo's tale. I found this one to be duller than the first, with too many characters to keep track of.
Becca Kirkman
Jul 19, 2012 Becca Kirkman rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I liked it much better than the first one. I think because the main character was a girl, and I loved her story. She was a tough character! She has a broken leg in one part of the book, and manages to scale down mountains. Amazing! It is a story I really enjoyed.
Sam Halsey
Nov 21, 2013 Sam Halsey rated it it was amazing
When brie gets a message from her aunt and uncle that her old nurse is dying she returns home and is given a magic arrow from her. When she learns that her fathers killers are in the ajoing country nothing will stop her from avanging her father. But will they kill her first?
Alina Tolbert
Jan 05, 2010 Alina Tolbert rated it liked it
Even though I read the first book of this 2 part series I felt there were many gaps about plot line. There was no objective for a lot of the book so it seemed pointless, undirected, wandering. It was clean and there were some dramatic parts. Good for a young teen.
Feb 11, 2011 Charity rated it liked it
I read this one before I found out it was the second in a series. A straightforward adventure. There seems to be more that could be developed and I imagine the story continues easily with the series. It can be read as a stand alone without any difficulties though.
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Wren's War (Wren, #3)
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • The Waterless Sea (The Chanters of Tremaris, #2)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • The Raven Ring (Lyra, #5)
  • Elske (Tales of the Kingdom, #4)
  • The Princess, the Crone, and the Dung-Cart Knight (The Squire's Tales, #6)
  • The Hamster of the Baskervilles: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • An Exchange of Gifts
  • Far Traveler
  • Gryphon's Eyrie (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #7)
  • The Crow (The Books of Pellinor, #3)
  • The Dalemark Quartet, Vol. 2: The Spellcoats & The Crown of Dalemark (The Dalemark Quartet, #3-4)
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
  • The Dream of the Stone
  • Dark Whispers (Unicorn Chronicles, #3)
Edith Pattou is the author of several fantasy novels, including East, an ALA Top Ten Best Book for Young Adults. She is a graduate of the Francis W. Parker School, Scripps College (B.A., English), Claremont Graduate School (M.A., English) and UCLA (M.L.I.S.). She is married to Charles Emery, a professor of psychology at The Ohio State University. They have one child, a daughter.

For more informatio
More about Edith Pattou...

The Songs of Eirren (2 books)
  • Hero's Song (The Songs of Eirren, #1)

“That indeed would be a great accolade," Monodonock stuttered, his hands frenziedly plucking at his spikey hair, "but the more I think on it, I believe I should miss my little home in the Blue Stack Mountains too much. And indeed, it is an important posting; you never know when the gabha might start stiring up trouble again...” 2 likes