Start by marking “What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  15,411 Ratings  ·  493 Reviews
What’s holding you back? Your hard work is paying off. You are doing well in your field. But there is something standing between you and the next level of achievement. Perhaps one small flaw–a behavior you barely even recognize–is the only thing that’s keeping you from where you want to be.

Who can help? Marshall Goldsmith is an expert at helping global leaders overcome th
Audio CD, Abridged, 8 pages
Published January 23rd 2007 by Random House Audio (first published January 2007)

Andy Mitchell
The author summarizes 20 of the worst interpersonal habits successful employees exhibit in the workplace:

1) Feeling the need to win too much

2) Adding too much value to a conversation

3) Passing judgment

4) Making destructive comments

5) Starting with "No," "But," or "However"

6) Telling people how smart we are

7) Speaking when angry

8) Negativity, "Let me explain why that won't work"

9) Withholding information

10) Failing to give proper recognition

11) Claiming credit that we don't deserve

12) Making excu
Jerry Smith
There is so much good stuff in here. I particularly like te 20 habits section as, although they are common sense things, they all need to be brought up again and again.

The thrust of the book is all about how, as a successful person, you can go to the next level. It also points out how these destructive behaviors don't hold you back until you get to a certain level in a company, then they become a problem.

Some of the points are well made and insightful. So far (having not finished it yet) the bi
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where do you want/need to go? Do you have a plan to get there?If not, or ifyour lack of planning has always been a source of anxiety for you, may I suggest you pick up Marshall Goldsmith’s newest book, "What Got You Here Won’t Get You There?"? The book contains 20 habits that hold you back (from getting “there”, remember?) as well as a plethora of other bejewelled nuggets such as how you can change for the better. Here are some of my biggest takeaways which relate to everyone, not just the corpo ...more
Eva
Sep 12, 2011 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copied-and-pasted summary:

1. Winning too much: the need to win at all costs and in all situations - when it matters, when it doesn't, and when it's totally beside the point.

2. Adding value: the overwhelming desire to add our two cents to every discussion.

3. Passing judgment: the need to rate others and impose our standards on them.

4. Making destructive comments: the needless sarcasms and cutting remarks that we think make us sound sharp and witty.

5. Starting with "No," "But," or "However": the o
Tom Tabasco
If you made it to the executive suite and you're a gigantic asshole, congratulations! This book is just for you. Marshall Goldsmith will be happy to get paid good money to teach you how to pretend that you're not an immature ego-maniac.

Anyone else: steer away, far away.

Also, something else about biz books in general: too often they bear titles that promise great depths of analysis and solutions, but once you get through them you realize they are either an ego-trip by the author (what I have don
Emma Sea
Actual advice in this book:

"Treat every day as if it were a press conference during which your colleagues are judging you, waiting to see you trip up." (p. 146)
Robert Chapman
Sep 14, 2012 Robert Chapman rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I have read written by Marshall Goldsmith, and it most certainly will not be the last. From its title one could think that this is one of those fluffy motivational “change yourself overnight” books. In reality it is anything but that, it’s a grounded and well written book that focuses on the problems which come from moving up the leadership ladder while still retaining old habits.

As the title indicates, the very qualities that get people promoted and make them successful
Jeff
Jan 18, 2014 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: Solid content. What Goldsmith says makes sense. His "Twenty Habits That Hold You Back" are a great list of things everyone should stop doing. Similarly, his fixes - "How We Can Change for the Better" - are practical, worthwhile and beneficial.

Cons: Reliance on personal experience and anecdotes to the point of solipsism; a skewed view of human behavior that favors extrinsic motivators (power, money, status, popularity, legacy, rewards, etc) over intrinsic ones (purpose, autonomy, mastery);
Megan
Apr 09, 2008 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really? You couldn't have told me all this in like 10 pages. I felt like he kept saying the same thing over, and over, and over again. Commonsense 101, how unfortunate that we live in a society that has to write a book to tell people you should send a thank you note. Isn't that a sweet little lesson grandma's teach you when your four?
thewestchestarian
A more accurate subtitle might be ”Just Be Nice”. Apparently getting to the corner office on the top floor just requires much of what your kindergarten teacher tried to impart on you: listen to people, say ”please” and ”thank you” and always use your inside voice. Goldsmith and Reiter claim these principles are gleamed from hundreds of coaching sessions with CEO’s and their direct reports. Where are these magical companies where nice guys finish first and what do they manufacture? Sunbeams? Rain ...more
Aditia Dwiperdana
Apr 19, 2016 Aditia Dwiperdana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for those that are already 'successful' (by your own definition), so it may not be for everyone. Things that I learned:
- You will need help from others to become a better person. You are not a good judge for your self improvements.
- The ones that can validate your improvement is your peers or colleagues.
- Even the most successful people can still improve themselves by using feedback from other people.
Jaideep Khanduja

20 Great Lessons For Project Managers From Marshall Goldsmith

What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful by Marshall Goldsmith is a fantastic collection of 256 pages and is a bouquet of learning for Project Managers across the globe. The title itself says a lot. You cannot win each battle with the same strategy. Every battle has to be brainstormed so as to formulate a suitable strategy. Each project is a battle
Ije the Devourer of Books

Second Review - graphic novel version - 4 stars - 31st Dec 2016

My work role has now changed and as a senior person within a different organisation this book is a bit more relevant. I enjoyed this graphic novel version. It acts as a summary of the key points in the written version and is a very helpful aide memoir. It is a quick easy to read version. I read it to help me reflect on my work as a leader of others and to see how and whether I embrace some of the unhelpful habits. This time round I f
Why do I keep consuming business books when I generally find them so unfulfilling? Yes, this book was on the dry side, and since I have no desire to go into "management" or any kind of leadership I do wonder if it was a waste of my time. Still, for the genre, this book was better than most.

Most "leadership" oriented books seem to be all about pep-talking people into having more confidence. This books is written by a guy who works with people who are already successful, and are heading to even hi
Rod White
Jul 04, 2007 Rod White rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: junior execs and such
I like practical thoughts from business dudes. They help me keep thinking about how to lead. Goldsmith is helping people not just succeed at being skilled, but succeed at relating well -- that is key to making something worthwhile happen. Kind of a "duh!" -- but it is amazing what we don't think about, once we are in the habits of being jerks.
Luke Starbuck
Jun 09, 2015 Luke Starbuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-shelf
Excellent read for any leader. Critical insights about your own behavior and how it affects those who work with you.
Simon Eskildsen
Mar 29, 2017 Simon Eskildsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, leadership
This book joins High Output Management as most influential management books I've read. What a gem with 10s of incredibly practical ideas that I'm eager to start incorporating. Without a doubt will enter my re-read list.
Crys
Jul 12, 2011 Crys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is success is the greatest barrier to success? Maybe.

It's easier to believe that our success is the results of intellect, technical abilities and good old tenacity -- the whole boot straps thing, right? The American way. This book exposes an unpleasant truth. Often times our success depends how well we work with superiors, subordinates and peers. And not always even how we work with them, but how they perceiveus.

This book is not for the faint of heart. From the opening pages, I was incredibly
Brendan Brooks
A fair amount of value in here, a bit of introspection and communication improvements can never go astray especially if you understand you are ironing out a few barriers to next level growth and success.
Joshua Thomas
Feb 05, 2017 Joshua Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This book is filled with a lot of wisdom and very practical advice. Ask people who know you, really know you, especially at work, to help you identify where you have glaring faults. Then don't judge or criticize their responses. Just say thank you. Acknowledge you need to grow, advertise it, apologize for it, and commit for 12-18 months to get better...then you can listen, learn, and grow. One piece of advice I particularly liked was when he prescribed asking for feedforward, as opposed to feedb ...more
Sebah Al-Ali
لم يعجبني كثيرا. الكتاب يخاطب جمهورا محددا لا أنتمي له (المدراء) و يسلط الضوء على ممارسات تعيقهم من أن يصبحوا أفضل ثم يقدم ممارسات تساعدهم على التحسين.

مع ذلك، أعجبتني كثيرا فكرة مفادها في هذا الاقتباس:
"Almost everyone I meet is successful because of doing a lot of things right, and almost everyone I meet is successful in spite of some behavior that defies common sense." (italics in original)
ثم يذكر أن أحد أهم العوائق بشكل عام للنجاح هي في عدم التمييز بين التصرفات التي بسببها نجحنا و بين التصرفات
John
Mar 25, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly useful, IMHO. This is useful to a wide range of people, with professional and personal applications, but it really addresses the issues that face people who are near the top of their game. Goldsmith points out that we ALL have issues, and he makes the range of issues painfully clear.

Do you take credit for what other people do? Do you share enough information? Do you say thank you? Are you too focused on the goal? No doubt, you're fine on these. That's ok; there are 17 more where the
Ganesh Ramakrishnan
One of the blurbs on the back cover of the book quotes WSJ saying that Marshall Goldsmith is the #1 executive coach who charges a six figure dollar fee for his coaching services and that we can get that same advice for 20-odd dollars. Believe me, it's true.

This book is a must-read for any person holding positions of authority (leaders) who have tasted success in life. The same qualities that gave us success become roadblocks for moving to the next level, and blind us to our bad habits.

The author
Jason Carter
Marshall Goldsmith (not to be confused with Malcolm Gladwell, which, for some reason, I did...) claims to be the #1 executive coach in the country. This book is a bit of a self-help book in which Goldsmith discusses the 20 bad habits to which successful people are prone. He argues that almost all successful people possess at least one or two of these traits that prevent them from being even more successful.

The bad traits range from Winning Too Much... to Adding Too Much Value... to Not Listening
Diane
Nov 18, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Members of my department were given a list of 20 communications downfalls and told to assess our co-workers. It didn't flow right and I looked up the list and found it was a misapplied excerpt from this book. So, I read the book.

It does have excellent advices, likely bad habits to be aware of, and suggested (and reasonable) ways to improve IF you are a manager. If you are the low person in the organizational structure, (e.g. me) not nearly as useful in the working world.

However, there are severa
Ashwin
May 24, 2016 Ashwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
I was introduced to this book through Marshall's videos on Youtube. Being one of the top leadership coaches in the world, Marshall's charisma and communication is fascinating.

This book is written for people who are smart and achieved success in their profession. Marshall identifies several factors that prevent them from moving further. And more importantly, he offers suggestions to overcome these factors. He also discusses various habits of great leadership.

The book starts well but you tend to
Michelle
Jul 28, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first business books I read, it helped me to move my career along. I learned how important your behaviour, appearance and actions can affect change in your job. The importance of listening, apologizing and thanking and how they can move mountains. If your career is in a rut, there are things you can do to change that. This book highlights the Twenty Habits that hold you back from the top and how we can change for the better.
From the book: "If we can stop, listen and think about what o
Fares
This is a great book filled with many recipes for a better daily life and tomorrow of successful people. Although most of it is anecdotes and rhetoric stories of interactions the author had with many important and very successful CEOs/CFOs and other figures, but it is useful to the entrepreneurs who are just starting up and even to the regular mid-level office worker.

I particularly love how the author ended the book with a surge of impulse for a better tomorrow before your time runs out!

Overall,
Jeff Mousty
Dec 02, 2015 Jeff Mousty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good easy read. We always hear people don't leave their company they leave their boss and this book expands on 20 personality flaws that someone can exhibit to make people not enjoy working for them.

It also states as you rise in the organization it's not a question of your ability to deliver results, it's about those personality traits that hinder your ability at that point.

Finally I liked the emphasis on just saying thank you to those people who provide you with all types
Mike
Jun 17, 2009 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by many of the professors in my MBA program. It describes the way that technical skills become less important as you move forward in your career. Other soft or interpersonal skills become more important. I have seen this happen in my own career path and agree with the idea.

In the book, Goldsmith outlines 20 common vices that managers have. They are simple things that we just need to stop doing in order to be even more successful. He also outlines some important things t
Outside Counsel: Personal tics 1 7 Sep 17, 2012 03:21PM
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • 12: The Elements of Great Managing
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Getting Everything You Can Out of All You've Got: 21 Ways You Can Out-Think, Out-Perform, and Out-Earn the Competition
  • The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan: How to Take Charge, Build Your Team, and Get Immediate Results
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management

“People will do something—including changing their behavior—only if it can be demonstrated that doing so is in their own best interests as defined by their own values.” 4 likes
“A leader who cannot shoulder the blame is not someone we will follow blindly into battle. We instinctively question that individual’s character, dependability, and loyalty to us. And so we hold back on our loyalty to him or her.” 3 likes