Start by marking “Chez Panisse Cooking” as Want to Read:
Chez Panisse Cooking

Chez Panisse Cooking

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"Extraordinary," "poetic," and "inspired" are only a few words that have been used to describe the food at Chez Panisse. Since the first meal served there in 1971, Alice Waters's Berkeley, California, restaurant has revolutionized American cooking, earning its place among the truly great restaurants of the world. Renowned for the brilliant innovations of its ever-changing ...more
Published October 12th 1988 by Random House Inc (T) (first published October 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Chez Panisse Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chez Panisse Cooking

Mike
Jan 03, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I read cookbooks to learn about a chef's connection to food, the reason why (s)he cooks at all. Chez Panisse Cooking is just this kind of cookbook. Don't read it if you're simply looking for quick family dinner recipes; that's not really the point. Bertolli writes in depth about the technique and cultural history behind his favorite foods, and that's really where this book shines.

I would recommend Chez Panisse Cooking to any person who wants to learn how to cook better. As I mentioned, it's not
Jane
Nov 16, 2008 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have found this cookbook much more valuable, as an aid to cooking and understanding cooking, than any of the Chez Panisse books published under Alice Waters' name. There are some editing failures - elisions, missing info - but these are amazing recipies, and the instructions on a wide range of subjects and ingredients are detailed, smart, and luminously clear. This book aims to teach you how to make your own vinegar, can your own preserves, brine your meat, etc etc, without the weight and tedi ...more
John Millard
Oct 03, 2015 John Millard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
An early classic.
Rhi
May 13, 2009 Rhi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eat-drink
The recipes in this book are perhaps a bit above and beyond what I would normally cook, but it is inspiring and full of tips and hints about how to be a cook, especially how to be a seasonal, non-wasteful, even local cook. I have made perhaps half a dozen of the recipes, and most were wonderful so I think I just need to brave it and try cooking pigeon or oxtail...
Stephen Flanagan
Dec 26, 2007 Stephen Flanagan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scratch cooks
Another good CP cookbook... but I've decided I'm not a French cook. Too much meat, too many complicated recipies that can't get me too excited. The bread recipies were interesting, I'd like to try a natural yeasted loaf.
Spoon
Dec 17, 2007 Spoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, when I'm cooking, I hear bells. When Chef Paul writes about cooking, I hear bells and see elephants. Those elephants are making sweet onion confit and rocket salads whilst drinking a heady Bordeaux.
Wayne
Sep 24, 2007 Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any aspiring cooks
Shelves: food
Paul Bertolli is the most verbally sophisticated of all chefs I've yet to read. After interning for a little over a month at Chez Panisse, I can see how his touch remains.
Ruth Feathers
Dec 01, 2015 Ruth Feathers rated it really liked it
A reissue of the 1994 version of the book. Roast peacock is a little too rich for my blood.
Nick
Oct 25, 2008 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Good for some recipes, often a little too complex for practical use. Section on stock invaluable.
Aja Marsh
Mar 03, 2013 Aja Marsh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
meh. maybe you don't get this cookbook for the vegetable dishes.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
exceleltn complicated flavorful food
Jane Byerley
Jane Byerley marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Rose Sciaroni
Rose Sciaroni marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
onlythefireborn
onlythefireborn rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Jane Bonacci
Jane Bonacci rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Aileen Carbonell
Aileen Carbonell marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
John Coombs
John Coombs rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Jeannine
Jeannine rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Eddie
Eddie rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Jul 05, 2016
Travis
Travis rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Joseph Hickey
Joseph Hickey rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Briana Higgins
Briana Higgins rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • The Dean and DeLuca Cookbook
  • India: The Cookbook
  • The Savory Way
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé
  • Alice Waters and Chez Panisse: The Romantic, Impractical, Often Eccentric, Ultimately Brilliant Making of a Food Revolution
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
  • Come to the Table: Slow Food Way of Living
  • Fish & Shellfish: The Definitive Cook's Companion
  • Heston Blumenthal: In Search of Perfection: Reinventing Kitchen Classics
  • The Paris Cookbook
  • Simple French Food
  • Authentic Mexican 20th Anniversary Ed: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen