Start by marking “Bordering on Chaos: Mexico's Roller-Coaster Journey Toward Prosperity” as Want to Read:
Bordering on Chaos: Mexico's Roller-Coaster Journey Toward Prosperity

Bordering on Chaos: Mexico's Roller-Coaster Journey Toward Prosperity

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Hailed for its gripping narrative, its insightful analysis, and its informed historical perspective, this book offers a "revealing look at the secret and powerful political society of Mexico, its breakup, and the fallout that we are witnessing today" ("Wall Street Journal"). of photos.
Published October 15th 1998 by Back Bay Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bordering on Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bordering on Chaos

Rchl
Jan 12, 2015 Rchl rated it really liked it
Will be reading this one again, is shocking how Mexico is currently living the same sad situation and not making any changes to make a better future for its people. ...more
Kay Giddens
Jun 15, 2015 Kay Giddens rated it it was amazing
Still worth reading twenty years after publication. Would love to know what he now thinks of Mexico's struggle toward democracy.
Renee
Apr 12, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it
For anyone who loves Mexico and wants to peek inside the country's psyche from a political and social slant, this book was recommended to me by the Globe and Mail's former Latin America bureau chief as a MUST READ before I moved down.

Written by the Miami Herald's LatAm bureau head, Oppenheimer works behind-the-scenes angles to what triggered the 1990 fall of the peso and how the Zapatista revolution was the boiling point that started the landslide.
Danny Guzmán
Apr 12, 2013 Danny Guzmán rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una visión profunda en un lenguaje sencillo para cualquier interesado en el clima político de las elecciones de 1994 en México. Un vistazo a las múltiples caras de la moneda y los motivos reales de por qué se hizo lo que se hizo. Además de un amplio contexto que explica, y hasta irrito punto justifica, el comportamiento de los mexicanos.

México más mexicano el del centro, el norte se parece Estados Unidos y el sur a Centroamérica.
Ana Sofia Ferrara
Jan 02, 2011 Ana Sofia Ferrara rated it really liked it
I loved it! Read it for a class about Mexican politics. The style is much like journalism... bubbly and exciting. Full of first hand facts. I wonder how much of it is biased though, or how much bits of truth had to be modified, hidden, etc. because big politicians are mentioned. And in Mexico you are dead if you make their shit public.
Historical value...???
Brit Ta
Apr 24, 2011 Brit Ta rated it it was amazing
Although I am not a fan of everything Oppenheimer writes, I thought this book was great. It is perfect for a crash course in Mexican Politics. He weaves together a variety of social, economic and political aspects with many details and a sense of humor. I especially liked the information on Subcommandante Marcos and how NAFTA has affected many Mexicans.
Gus
Dec 06, 2009 Gus rated it it was amazing
Sometime in 1992 or 1993, Mexican President Carlos Salinas calls a group of rich, super rich, supporters to a cena (dinner). Among of those there, one of the richest men in the world...well not to spoil it...it was a shakedown. Mexico at its best
Krissy
Dec 04, 2011 Krissy marked it as to-read
recommended by international finance professor (for our class trip to mexico). forgot his name because i was not a huge fan // ie. i'm hesitant to follow his literature recommendation..
Chi Chi
Feb 01, 2011 Chi Chi rated it really liked it
Very insightful and well written book about the politics of Mexico in the mid '90s. I'm embarassed as to how much I didn't know beforehand, but glad that I know now.
Laurie Rae
Aug 21, 2012 Laurie Rae rated it really liked it
Fascinating. Took a while to get used to the style, but very enlightening. Particularly interesting to read while you are in Mexico.
Jesús Orduña
More than the view of a reporter or a journalist, it is the modern photography of the Psychology of the Mexican population.
Guilherme
Kind of losing touch with it... A good book, but I may have had enough of it half of the way thru.
Fran G
Oct 17, 2009 Fran G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-list
Really interesting, I wish I owned it cause I'd read it again. Totally worth my time.
Steve Van Slyke
Oct 09, 2010 Steve Van Slyke rated it really liked it
Not quite as good as Opening Mexico, but still a very worthwhile read for Mexico lovers.
Alma
Jul 24, 2012 Alma added it
shame on Salinas....such an in depth read....really fascinating
Carlos Lascurain
Carlos Lascurain rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Victor Garrido
Victor Garrido marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Vianey
Vianey marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Rodrigo Chousal
Rodrigo Chousal marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Michelle Reid
Michelle Reid is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Sofya
Sofya is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2016
Matt Potter
Matt Potter marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Mario Jasso
Mario Jasso rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Randall Harrison
Randall Harrison rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Andrés Oppenheimer es columnista de The Miami Herald y de El Nuevo Herald. Fue miembro del equipo ganador del Premio Pulitzer, ganador del Premio Ortega y Gasset , ganador del Premio Rey de España, y ganador del Emmy. Es autor de ¡Basta de Historias!, Cuentos Chinos, Saving the Americas y varios otros best-sellers.
More about Andrés Oppenheimer...