Start by marking “Hiding My Candy” as Want to Read:
Hiding My Candy

Hiding My Candy

After leaping off the pages with he unforgettable debut in John Berendt's bestselling Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, the unabashed personality known as The Lady Chablis now brings her irresistible charisma to the remarkable odyssey of fabulousness that USA Today calls "sassy" and "provocative...."
Born Benjamin Edward Knox in Quincy, Florida, "The Doll" always kn
Published August 1st 1997 by Atria Books (first published August 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hiding My Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding My Candy

Erica Poole
Nov 06, 2007 Erica Poole rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't usually read autobiographies, but I was in Savannah, loving the atmosphere, and somewhat obsessed with Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. So I read this. Good telling of what it was like to grow up in a small southern community knowing that you didn't fit in, dealing with poverty, hardship, and being born the wrong sex! Funny, heartwarming, sad, and a quick read.
L-Isabella
Aug 27, 2012 L-Isabella rated it it was amazing
I first came to be introduced to the character of the Lady Chablis while watching the movie ‘Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil’. And then after I read the book, I realized that what I saw in the movie was for real.

This person, this character, stood out & stuck with me due to her humor, her ability to speak the truth and whatever else was on her mind. I thought she was hilarious and yet a strong person to not only allow people who read the book and then see the movie, into her life an
MacK
Feb 05, 2009 MacK rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
There are very few instances when watching a movie before you read a book is not just enjoyable, it's critical The simple pulp paperbacks dedicated to science fiction is one example, but while only truly obsessive fans would enjoy Lando Calrissian's Milllenium Falcon Adventures the public at large can find benefit from reading Hiding My Candy, even though you should see Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you read the book.

The Lady Chablis, a stand-up comedienne Drag Queen, is a witty
Christiane Evaskis-Garrett
Sep 30, 2014 Christiane Evaskis-Garrett rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in LGBT History
Shelves: autobiography, lgbt
The Lady Chablis is a lady indeed and she has LIVED. If you're wondering where you may have heard of her, she featured quite a bit in the book and movie "Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil" (and she played herself in the movie). Born Benjamin Edward Knox, the Lady Chablis has gone through it all with a sense of humor and a quick wit. I enjoyed hearing about her Christian upbringing in a small rural Florida town and how her inner showwoman loved spreading the Word as a child. I was also surp ...more
Danni Green
Nov 05, 2015 Danni Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genderawesome
In this powerful autobiography, The Lady Chablis crafts her story in her own inimitable voice, sharing her truth -- her "T", to use her vernacular -- as no one else could. Reading this book felt like being an honored guest at one of the author's notorious performances, being taken by the hand and ushered into a dramatic and fabulous showcase of the events of her incredible life. The Lady Chablis demands to be seen, heard, and respected. I highly recommend this one.

Content warnings: (view spoiler
Merredith
Jun 23, 2013 Merredith rated it liked it
I just joined the book club my office has, and this was my first book I read for it. This is the memoir of the Lady Chalbis aka Brenda Knox. I'd never heard of her, but apparently she featured prominently in the book/movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I've never read the book but i vaguely remember my dad renting the movie and it being boring and me wandering away or falling asleep, back when i was a kid. I hated the writing style. She refers to herself in the third person a lot, and ...more
Laurel Bradshaw
I was very intrigued by this character after reading (and watching) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, so when I discovered she wrote an autobiography I had to read it. She is witty, clever, and oh so full of herself... It gets a little wearing after awhile. I was hoping for something a little more serious and behind the scenes perhaps, but The Lady is all about image, and this book is all about perpetuating that, so nothing new here really. Still, it's fascinating to try and understand so ...more
Tom Schulte
May 23, 2015 Tom Schulte rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
I came to this book hoping for another view of the events of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. While Berendt did contribute a preface and the cotillion and filming are touched on, this is a memoir of The Lady Chablis finding her identity in the deep South and expanding it into an entertainment career boosted by the book and film. written in her dialect and slang with glossaries, this is a quick and entertaining read. she include a includes transvestite beauty tips and her recipes.
Jeanette
Jul 22, 2010 Jeanette rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt
i picked up this book after our vacay to savannah. (we also came home and watched midnight in the garden of good and evil)

i had a hard time getting into hiding my candy. the Doll (Lady Chablis) writes how she speaks and sometimes that can be painful to read. once i was able to get into that mind frame, it was better to understand.

she has had a freaking amazing life- full of lots of down and a few ups. its so wonderful to read about a woman her pulled herself up out of a mess and made something o
Amanda
Mar 12, 2014 Amanda added it
Just had to read this book. I had read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and enjoyed. But what prompted me the most to read this book was that Lady Chablis lived a few doors down from my apartment in West Columbia, SC. I never saw or met her. Just think she is an interesting character (and has an interesting story).
Monique Johnson
I thought this book would be much more informative on the topic of transgender persons. I felt many of the issues that would have lent better understanding were made light of and much detail not given. This book is more comedic than informative.
Susan
Jul 03, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok
If you read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil ~ this book expands The Lady Chablis and all her ways. She gives you her background and the stories of growing up to become the character she is ~ and she doesn't sensor anything.
Heather
Jan 07, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
The autobiography of the drag queen featured in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Very interesting because she comes across as very honest about her journey, thoughts, and feelings about who she is as a man living as a woman.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
Bah, humbug....another famous queen, and a nasty one at that!

I liked her better as one of the players in the book " Midnight In the Garden of Good & Evil". In her/his own biography, well it's just too much.
Chanel
May 02, 2013 Chanel rated it liked it
This book was all about The Lady Chablis (Benjamin Edward Knox) and his/her life story from Quincy, Florida to where she resides today as a main attraction personality in Savannah, Georgia.

The life was hard but somehow she got through it. A sometimes hard luck story to read, this queen knows who she is and doesn't apologize for it. She was introduced to us in the novel, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and also appeared in the 1990's movie.

She has fame, fortune and success now. Not to
Pattie Walters
Mar 11, 2014 Pattie Walters rated it it was amazing
I liked this book, but I like The Lady Chablis. Kind of an eye-opener, if you aren't privy to her lifestyle. It's a good reference to understand the transgender folks.
Judith
Nov 25, 2015 Judith added it
Fun read after vacay in Savannah and after reading 'midnight in the garden of good and evil'. Visited the mansion in Savannah where the boo was set.
Shannon
Feb 03, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
The recipe section wasn't really helpful to me as a borderline vegan, but the rest of the book was pretty arresting. There were a few times that she would make fun of other women for not "doing" femininity right or basically take cheap shots like that, which threw me off. Light stuff, fun read.
Sara
Feb 15, 2010 Sara rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
It took me a long time to finish this book because I had trouble staying interested. I liked her story in theory, but it's written like she talks and that gets old really quickly. So I kept reading a few pages at a time and then letting it sit. Today I brought it with me on the ferry so I had over 2 hours with nothing to do but read it, and I finally finished. Her story was interesting but it never felt fleshed-out. There seemed to be so much left out that it was a little hard to follow in place ...more
Abbs1178
Jan 05, 2012 Abbs1178 rated it liked it
I read and loved "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". I'm from Savannah, and I've been to Club One several times for their shows and have seen "The Lady Chablis" perform, so my mother in law gave me this book for Christmas and thought I'd enjoy reading her life story. I really liked it. It was interesting to read about her struggle to make it as not only an entertainer but to really discover and be proud of who she is. A must-read for anyone who has seen her shows or read/enjoyed "midnight ...more
Ben Lanier
Jul 19, 2015 Ben Lanier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lady Chablis shines so bright in this honest, hilarious and sometimes gut wrenching story of one woman's struggle to be just that - a woman.
Lily OnTheLam
Mar 30, 2012 Lily OnTheLam rated it liked it
I very much enjoyed The Lady Chablis' book (read most of it while getting a pedicure!) - but there were some really heavy emotional topics in the book - physical abuse, drug addiction, etc. and it was all sort of glossed over with a "la-tee-dah, life goes on!" attitude-- which I suppose is The Lady Chablis' trademark calling card - resilience and grace, no matter what ... but it made me sad that there wasn't a little more acknowledgement of just how intense a life The Lady Chablis has been throu ...more
John Geddie
Aug 21, 2011 John Geddie rated it really liked it
Someone gave this to me as a gag gift several years ago after I had bored them one too many times about my appreciation for "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

In it, the Lady Chablis is both open and sassy in recounting her life and evolution into the person she wanted to be. While not quite a wordsmith and certainly without the levels of drama and accomplishment necessary for a great biography, I was still charmed with the story of a person who turned herself and her life into what she w
Danielle
Feb 08, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf, 2009
The autobiography of drag queen/personality extraordinaire The Lady Chablis, who made her debut in John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and the subsequent movie thereafter, tells the world her life story.

I finished this book in 2 days, it's written as if it were narrated by the Lady herself and I couldn't put it down. I don't think I've read an autobiography so amusing since, well, ever.

If you were even slightly piqued by her in either Berendt's book or her big screen debut, yo
~*kath*~
Mar 05, 2014 ~*kath*~ rated it it was ok
Meh, tolerable.
bookczuk
I think i was hoping this would be less of a one-note wonder than it was. I think The Lady chablis is probably quite entertaining in person, but her style in writing doesn't translate for me. I skimmed the second half, including the recipes, lexicon and beauty/fashion tips.

The plan is to release this somewhere, along with Midnight in the GArden of good and Evil. I just have to think of a good spot. Savannah, maybe? A drag club? Hmmmm.....
Sarah Crawford
Feb 24, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
A very good book by a very fascinating person, a person who is transgendered. It's not always a pretty story, either, as she went through a lot of dark times, but it's a story of ultimate triumph over adversity and about a person who is able to fulfill her dreams against strong odds.
Danny
Aug 17, 2008 Danny rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
It's the autobiography of the drag performer featured in John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, who plays herself in the film of the same name. It's interesting. Tha narration is sometimes entertaining, sometimes annoying. Basically told in the same voice/character she uses in her act. There are recipes and beauty tips in the back, and glamour shots throughout. ...more
erica
Jun 19, 2009 erica rated it really liked it
This was enjoyable, not only for the sassy text, but also for the many photos taken in some of Savannah's finest landmarks.

Campy for sure. The Lady uses humor to cope with the many indignities afforded to her as trans woman living in the South. The tone is more Priscilla Queen of the Desert than Boys Don't Cry.

Ashley Lucas
Sep 02, 2009 Ashley Lucas rated it really liked it
What a fabulous read! Such fun! The Lady Chablis, made famous by John Berendt's best-seller Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, tells her life story with wit and passion. She's hilariously funny but also gives you an insight into the extraordinary difficulties of growing up transgendered in the South.
  • The Fabulous Sylvester: The Legend, the Music, the Seventies in San Francisco
  • Seasonal Velocities
  • Lettin it All Hang Out: An Autobiography
  • Trauma Queen
  • On My Own at 107: Reflections on Life Without Bessie
  • My Trip Down the Pink Carpet
  • Normal: Transsexual CEOs, Crossdressing Cops, and Hermaphrodites with Attitude
  • Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics
  • Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond
  • Unreal Estate: Money, Ambition, and the Lust for Land in Los Angeles
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • Buddha Baby
  • Conundrum
  • Nappily in Bloom (Nappily, #5)
  • A Low Life in High Heels: The Holly Woodlawn Story