Remind Me Again Why I Need A Man

Remind Me Again Why I Need A Man

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  113 reviews

Amelia Lockwood doesn't mean to sound greedy. With a fabulous career in television, a posh apartment, and four fiercely loyal and wickedly funny friends, she knows she should be counting her lucky stars. But as her thirties tick by at an alarming pace, Amelia is getting anxious about the one thing missing in her otherwise successful life--a husband!

If it's not too much to

Published May 1st 2007 by Harper (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Remind Me Again Why I Need A Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remind Me Again Why I Need A Man

YoSafBridg
Maybe i actually needed those hordes of junior high school kids to take out my rampagey crankiness on because now that i'm working in a calmer library i seem to be venting it on poor feckless Irish authors like Claudia Carroll. It happens once again, i get a book in my box, my hold notification on it, with no recollection as to why i put it on hold (at least this time i had a vague recollection of putting it on hold~so That's progress...) So i set out to read Remind Me Again Why I Need a Man: to...more
Annie Kaye
When I saw this book at the library I was attracted to it by the vintage cover art, and the front flap sounded pretty funny. Overall I enjoyed the book, if I did have to suspend my disbelief at times about all the boyfriends Amelia'd had over the years and what they'd become. It felt a lot like Sex and the City meets Dublin, Ireland, right down to when Amelia strikes a refrain that echoes a Charlotte York line almost verbatim: "I've been dating since I was fifteen. I'm exhausted! Where is he?"

T...more
katie
Francessca
After reading several thrillers lately I was in the mood for something lighthearted and easy to read. This was certainly that but unfortunately it was just a little too lighthearted for my tastes. I like a soppy chick lit book once in a whole but I like one in which I can relate. Several times this book repeated "you couldn't make this up" or "you wouldn't believe something so far fetched could actually happen" and truth be told I couldn't. It was too far fetched I couldn't find a relatable thre...more
Kevin I Heart.. Chick Lit
I really adored this lovely tale of finding true love! Review to come :)
Keilani Ludlow
I enjoyed "I Never Fancied Him Anyway" a lot more. Ok, here's the deal. I'm not totally anti gay character, but I don't want any details about preferences and activities. It thoroughly disgusts me. I wouldn't want to hear about a lot of other sexual preferences either. So, she has an amusing style and wit, but too much of the guy on guy gushing for me. A little too much swearing for me. And the ending was quite unsatisfactory.

She's witty and amusing. Her characters and/or books (for the two I've...more
Natalye
Upon finishing reading this book, I'm beginning to remember why I never was into the chick-lit genre all that much. The basic format leaves the reader realizing at the end that women should be empowered and strong and they can be that with or without a man. But from reading any other book along the same lines, it's a lesson that is continually pounded into the readers' head, and it is not all that satisfactory one, at least for people like myself who don't suffer with issues of low self-esteem o...more
Jeanne
Jan 15, 2009 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeanne by: Kristen
Shelves: chick-lit
37-year-old Amelia Lockwood has it all: great job, great home, great friends, and a great figure. Oh, except for one thing: she doesn’t have a husband. And this is bringing her down.

The successful television producer decides to be proactive and signs up for a class at the local college. The class promises to help her understand her romantic past and use the knowledge to find a husband. Her friends are skeptical, but Amelia is determined!

Her weekly homework for the class includes confronting her...more
Anjali
Wow, I have to disagree with most readers and say this is one of the worst chick-lit books I have ever read. Basically a 37 year old single woman in Dublin takes a night class in getting a husband within a year. Her first assignment is to track down her old love affairs and figure out why she's single. It's like a combination of High Fidelity, Bridget Jones and Sex and The City. The author's knack of stating the obvious probably makes it about 200 pages longer than it should have been.
For examp...more
Sonya E.
I really enjoyed this book, very light and funny, also very current with the time.
The only thing is that it didn't had a clear ending, would have wanted a bit more.
If it was made in a comedy sitcom i think people would have really enjoyed it, good job from the writer.
Alex
Wow, this book was such a nice surprise!

I saw it on the library shelf and was immediately drawn in by the cover and title. The premise also sounded cute, so I decided to give it a try.

This book was just FUN! I laughed out loud several times, and kept wondering how her next ex-boyfriend was going to top the one we just met.

Spoiler:

(view spoiler)...more
Katie
Aviv
This is usual chick-lit fare which usually gets around 3 stars for me as a light enjoyable read.

The reason this only got two stars was the somewhat ridiculous storyline. The main character takes a class for women in their late 30's on how to find a husband. The homework for the class is to talk to an ex-boyfriend a week and find out what went wrong.

Each ex gets more and more ludicrous as the story wears on. One or two ludicrous ex's would have been fine (we have one or two), but for each and eve...more
Kathy McC
I went to the library to pick up a book that was reserved for me. As I walked past the new fiction bookshelf, I noticed the cover of this book. The man's face resembled Perry Como's, so I checked it out. I am glad I did. It was not a literary masterpiece, but it was lighthearted and made me smile. 37-year-old woman admits to having the best job, terrific friends, and a marvelous apartment, but feels like she really needs to be married to have the perfect life. She takes a course at the local uni...more
Hester
Fun read, and makes you reflect on your own relationships - both the good and bad ones.
Bryna
A light, fluffy and often pretty hilarious book about a woman in her late 30s who goes on an (ambivalent) quest to get married by going through all her exes. The ending was more profound than I thought it was going to be, and basically the whole book is enjoyable and just smart enough to stay interesting and keep you turning pages. Sometimes the conversations seem overly witty and dismissive, like shouldn't these people be a little more mature and sincere if they're in their 30s? But that's a pr...more
Liane
actually really enjoyed this book and I did not expect to like it at all!
Jenifer Good
the title alone just makes you want to read this book.
Elizabeth
I'm not sure if it's fair to rate this book as I could not get past the first 25 pages. Every few months I go on a chick lit bender - I'll go to the library fill my tote & bring them home to read. I've learned that if I don't like it after the first 20-25 pages, it's generally not going to get better.

This book was so poorly written I could not continue. Hire an editor - spelling errors? Come on! Too many cliches, bad grammar. I just could not take it. Women's Lit/Chick Lit can be fun and en...more
Claire
Extremely disappointed- I usually enjoy Claudia Carroll's books but this was terrible. The whole plot is a rip off of the episode in Sex and the City when Charlotte goes to the 'how to find love' course. There are a number of moments where the dialogue is practically the same, including charlotte's 'I've been dating since I was 15. Where is he!'. Carroll better hope HBO take her imitation as a form of flattery otherwise I hope her other novels can foot a hefty copyright settlement!
Erika
Nov 06, 2011 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: like
Is not the kind of literature that I usually read, but I enjoyed this book, perhaps because I never expected to leave me a "deep teaching" was just fun.

These woman wants to get married ad takes a class in getting married, and has to contact all of her previous boyfriends to see why the relationship did not work out. That travel was entertaining.

The characters are somewhat stereotypical, but they work for the purpose of the story and situations are not boring.

Jenny
This was a fun, frothy book I picked up from the New Fiction section of my library. It is typical chick-lit fare, which means it follows the adventures of a single woman (this time in Dublin) and her fabulous friends. Yes, it follows the Bridget Jones formula, but detours a bit at the end which was kind of refreshing. The 80s/90s flash backs were fun to read, if a bit over the top. After a rough week, I was in the mood for something light and silly, and this fit the bill.
Dee Haddrill
Amelia is a 37 year old TV producer who takes a night class which guarantees she will be married by the end of the year. The homework involved requires her to contact ten exes to see why they became exes. This felt a lot like a Bridget Jones rip off although nowhere near as funny and without Colin Firth. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book... It had humorous parts and what could be considered an empowering ending. But not as good as I hoped.
Kerrikoala
Karen
This book was a lot of fun but the reason it's getting only three instead of 4 stars, I didn't like the ending.
It had an open ending, sort of, and I'm not a fan of that. As well as what they're playing at through the entire book doesn't happen because it ends.

It's a good ending.. I guess. It fits, kinda. But still, I would've rather seen it end differently.

But fun to read. Quick and a laugh.
Courtney
Marjanne
This book was nothing like I was expecting it to be. The main character is likeable, and it is easy to sympathize with her. On the plus side, the story was not as predictable as these types of novels tend to be. However, the ending (really a lack of one) kind of left me hanging. I also had a strong feeling that she was letting her friends keep her from reaching her goal.
Just finished the book. It's a cute, fun read, but a lot of it started to seem to implasable - like there were sooo many problems and every single ex turned out to be a psycho, etc. Also, the ending didn't really resolve anything for me, which annoyed me. However, I did like the premise and I could relate to the feelings of the main character at many times.
With Butterflies
I really was stuck between 2 and 3 stars for this book. I went with three because I do love chicklit, and it was a quick read.

It's like a female "High Fidelity" in that she has to review her past relationships. There is far too much simplifying and over-the-top situations for my taste, but the overall story is entertaining enough.
Annie
This was recommended to me by Cathy Jo and I am glad I read it. It's a good novel and you really become engrossed in all of the characters eventhough it remains focused on the main protagonist Amelia. Some flashbacks got a little annoying and I would have rather them not be so obvious, but I would definatrely read a sequeal if there is one.
  • An Eligible Bachelor
  • White Wedding
  • Midsummer Magic
  • Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • Heaven Sent
  • Out of the Blue
  • I Went to Vassar for This?
  • It Had to Be You
  • Going Dutch
  • My Summer of Southern Discomfort
  • In My Sister's Shoes
  • It Should Have Been Me
  • Wanderlust
  • The (Im)Perfect Girlfriend (Sarah Sargeant, #2)
Claudia was born in Dublin and is a graduate of UCD, the College of Music and of the Gaiety School of Acting. Since then she has worked extensively as an actress on the Irish stage, but is probably best known for her role as TV’s Nicola Prendergast in the long running Dublin soap opera, ‘Fair City.’
More about Claudia Carroll...
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? Personally I Blame My Fairy Godmother A Very Accidental Love Story I Never Fancied Him Anyway If This is Paradise, I Want My Money Back