Start by marking “Koning van de Murgos (De Mallorea, #2)” as Want to Read:
Koning van de Murgos (De Mallorea, #2)

Koning van de Murgos (The Malloreon #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  42,087 Ratings  ·  243 Reviews
De zoon van Garion en Ce'Nedra wordt op lage wijze gekidnapt en pas na maanden komen zij erachter dat de ontvoerder de mysterieuze Zandramas is, die ver naar het zuidoosten is gevlucht. Garion onderneemt een grote speurtocht om het kind te bevrijden, daarbij geleid door de Orbus die in de degenknop van zijn machtige zwaard gloeit. Met hem reist de onsterfelijke tovenaar Be ...more
Published 2002 by Uitgeverij M (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Koning van de Murgos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Koning van de Murgos

Nov 11, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"I like nice, simple situations and nice, easy solutions," said Belgarath.

"Good and Evil?" Durnik suggested.

"That's a difficult one, Durnik. I prefer 'them and us.' That clears away all the excess baggage and allows you to get right down to cases."

I want a bracelet that says "What Would Belgarath Do?"
MrsJoseph
Yet again I profess my love for all things Belgariad and Mallorean.

And yet again I'm struck by the unfairness(?)/casual Misogyny(?) in this beloved series.

One of the big personal issues that pop up in this book is Silk's parents. Silk's mom was "the most beautiful woman of her generation" until a pestilence came through the town. She was struck blind and horribly disfigured by the sickness...but they act like her fucking brain was eaten instead.

Silk drinks himself into insensibility whenever he
Lel
As much as I love this series overall I felt that in this book not much really happened. The company seem to be just travelling throughout their world in search of Gerion but not getting any closer or much actually happening in the book. There is a few action scenes in the book that make it interesting but I just can't help but feel it was a bit of a time gap filling book.
That being said the characters more than make up for it. I love the budding relationship between Silk and Velvet, hes so clu
Jonel Boyko
Feb 27, 2016 Jonel Boyko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-rlftci-2016
Action, adventure, magic, and danger all make their way into this unforgettable addition to Eddings’ series. Phenomenal descriptions and world building combine throughout as I was drawn fully into the plot that wouldn’t let go.

I love the way that this cast of characters grows and changes throughout. Ce’Nedra’s less whiney attitude made her easier to swallow here, yet she does still seem quite childish for a queen. Eddings makes the change in personality easy to understand based on circumstance.
Amanda
Feb 22, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia made this a four star read. It should probably be three star. I love this series so hard from childhood that it becomes very difficult to read it objectively. There are many niggles. This was when I started giving some scenes the side eye - some of the relationships between the men and the women, the power plays and the idea that they were so different from each other. Polgara started to piss me right off, with her holier than thou attitude, and I don't that ever went away again.

In tru
David Sarkies
Jul 22, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An unnecessary sequel
22 July 2012

It looks as if a few people have noted that this series is pretty much a re-hash of the earlier series, with the same people just different places and a different villain. Okay, the object that was stolen is also different, but other than that it seems that Eddings simply took the script that he used for the Belgariad, made some slight changes, and made it the Mallorean. I gather that here they must get to the 'Place that is No More' which is always interesting
Matt Braymiller
Jan 22, 2014 Matt Braymiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-reread
It is always interesting for me to read through the David Eddings novels I have and see how his focus shifted over the course of sixteen books encompassing the two pentalogies, the Belgariad, and Malloreon, and the Elenium and Tamuli trilogies.

The Belgariad series deals with Garion's coming of age story woven in with a dualist plot that sort of took a back seat to the main story, even though it *was* the main story. In this current series, Garion has come into his own and Eddings was free to foc
Brecht Denijs
What makes an Eddings novel so great?
Is it his wonderfull fantasyland which we get to explore in great detail? His rich, detailed background history? His engaging story?
Possibly, but for me there is one thing that sticks out: his characters. These people are amazing and just can't get enough of them. The dialogues are amazing, with sarcasm dripping off the pages. I went from laughter to tears and back again. I LOVE this series. It proves that you do not need to switch to 63 different point of vi
Lizza11
Jun 05, 2013 Lizza11 rated it really liked it
Ook al is dit in feite het 7e boek in een serie van 10, er gebeuren nog steeds nieuwe dingen. Nieuwe landen, nieuwe gebruiken. Je zou verwachten dat het allemaal wat eentonig begint te worden, maar daar heb ik nog niet echt last van. Tuurlijk, net is steeds weer net aan dat ze het redden, en hier en daar wat toevalligheidjes, maar daar stoor ik me totaal niet aan.

Deze profetie is ook mysterieuzer dan de vorige, ik heb geen idee wie er uiteindelijk overblijven en waar de profetie tot uiting gaat
Hannah
Jun 14, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, fantasy
Laugh-out-loud funny and endearing new characters, like the King of the Murgos himself. Garion has become an increasingly strong ruler, determined and decisive, and the developments in him and the rest of the cast adds to the enjoyment of the book. Don't let anyone tell you that the first series is better; this one is just as good, if not better! More action and excitement and faster pacing, Eddings keeps his readers turning the pages as fast as possible to find out the next part.
 ☆Ruth☆
Feb 26, 2015 ☆Ruth☆ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are definitely more flaws in the plot - it's looser and not as well constructed as the Belgariad, but I don't care! I'm enjoying these stories far too much to be bothered about occasional illogical behaviour by the protagonists.
Frankly, I don't know how I'm going to cope when I finish the Malloreon, David Eddings epics have become an integral part of my life... a chapter or two with every meal and something to look forward to at the end of a humdrum workday :)
Amani Bryant
Apr 13, 2009 Amani Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amani by: Mary Bicker
This is more of a comfort read these days. Like an old pair of shoes or a favorite blanket. I have read most of the Eddings' books 3-4 times, so their voice, their humor, the characters are a familiar joy. (I use the plural because while most of the books are published under David's name, it is confessed in one of their later novels that his wife Leigh has been coauthor of most of his works.)
Mollie Clarke
Jun 02, 2014 Mollie Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very different to the first one of the series. With a much faster pace this book has some excellent twists and turns in it. This book will make your ideas of certain people change in dramatic ways!
Scott Marley
Apr 17, 2013 Scott Marley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-eddings
After a bit of a stinker in book one it's back to a more classic Eddings adventure in book two. It was good and left a decent ending to transition to book three nicely.
Jenn
Aug 29, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Though, I will admit, it's my love of the characters as much as anything that contributes to my enjoyment of The Malloreon.
Keziah Wallis
I forgot how much I enjoy the little reveals in this book.
Lillian
They are still looking for his son.... whelp.

Not a bad story though... I guess I'll keep reading through this series, even though I find myself skimming through a lot of padded dialog... >.>

I still haven't decided if I like this series or not. lol.
Jacob Aitken
Mar 05, 2017 Jacob Aitken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Somewhat slow at times, but Eddings does a good job with various bad guys--creating situations where we are very interested in what they will do, even almost cheering for them (usually they are at odds with other bad guys).

The scene in the Grolim Temple is probably worth the entire book.
Tim Dale
I'm still enjoying the series but this one dragged quite a bit in several chapters.
Andrew Wilson
Nov 17, 2013 Andrew Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Guided by the Orb of the God Aldur, Garion and Ce'Nedrea begin a great quest to rescue their kidnapped child. Making their way through the foul swamps of Nyisssa, then into the lands of the Murgos, they must ultimately face a horrible danger--to themselves and all mankind....

### From Publishers Weekly

King Belgarion and Queen Ce'Nedra are still searching for their kidnapped son Geran in this second volume of The Mallorean, Eddings's sequel to his bestselling fantasy series The Belgariad. After

Brian
This book is the second of 'The Mallorean' series, a sequel to Eddings' 'Belgariad' series, and as such includes all the major characters of that previous series albeit several years later, plus several new ones.

The plotline is surpringsly similar to the first series: something important has been stolen and Garion and his friends must traverse the world to recover it lest the world be destroyed.

In this case the important thing is Garion's new-born son, who has been abducted by a Grolim preistess
Anne Wright
King of the Murgo's by David Eddings

I have given this book 5 out of 5

I love Eddings books and this one is one of my favourite of the malloreon set.

It moves the story from the safety of the lands they know and love into the heart of the enemy's world. They are chasing someone who in the first book of the set has stolen something so precious that they race to get it back.

We see love from the main characters for each other and a willingness to go into battle and face hardships for that love.

There
Denae Christine
In both five book series, the characters are supposedly chasing after something very important. A thief who stole the Orb, and thief who stole Garran. In both cases, it takes the good guys 2 years--four books--to catch them. In a chase, especially when the world hangs in balance, I'd expect everyone to move faster. Instead, their adventures seem almost meandering, depsite how much they SAY they're trying to hurry. There are all these stops at palaces and castles and going around or through or un ...more
Susan
I am writing the same review for the entire Malloreon as it is nearly impossible to pick out each book from the series as if it were a stand alone novel; they all tie together and build on one another.

For me, this series was not as good as the Belgariad. In part, I think, the opinion is a function of the fact that I was several years older reading the Malloreon than reading the Belgariad. However, even as I re-read occasionally as an adult I think the first series was better than the second.

Gene
Strangerealms
Jul 29, 2009 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoy reading these books, they have everything that make a good book: great well characterized characters, great story, good dark humor, great witty dialogues, packed with adventure and travels, great created world with each race, etc. Even though one may be scared of the 5 books to read they actually read too fast for my taste. I've heard some complaining that the books are too "light" but I like it this way. It's a serie I love rereading and being thrown back into with these deliciou ...more
Vendela
Some lazy-ass storytelling here, but Urgit is a great character and the surprise there is fantastic.
Neeka
Oct 11, 2013 Neeka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-eddings
I forgot about Urgit... I don't recall if I liked his character that much from the last time I read this - but this time around, I truly enjoyed what he brought to the story.
Since I have got bit through the third book already, I can't seem to recall exactly everything that happens in this book. That is one thing that I do enjoy about these books - it is hard to keep everything straight - what happens in which book if you read them one right after another. The story telling in this cycle of book
Werehare
Jul 25, 2013 Werehare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantatrash
2/10

[Recensione dell'intera serie]
Non è attivamente demente come tanti altri suoi colleghi, e questa è la fine dei suoi pregi. Solito polpettone rimasticato fino alla nausea, straripante di dei e mostri puzzoni e palle di fuoco ed eroi maschi bianchi etero cis come neanche una partita di D&D, tenuto insieme da una prosa goffa e inforigurgitosa (pur se non mancano momenti ironici), zeppa di virgole tra soggetto e verbo. Garion è il classico Gary Stue che insegna a tutti a fare tutto, Ce'Nedra
Nathan
Dec 31, 2013 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the travelogue quest that is the Mallorean starts properly in this volume. A quick trot through the Western kingdoms and then it is into bits of Cthol Murgos that we haven't been to before, meeting old acquaintances and discovering new ones on the way.

A lot of talking in this book, as the characters wise-crack their way around the world (even Garion comments on the overall tone of flippancy at one point), showing no real respect to anybody they meet. It is almost as if they are a group of RPG
Dan
Feb 20, 2012 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
As Garion said himself in the book, Mr. Eddings is just re-hashing the Belgariad. Something precious and important has been stolen from Riva and a motley party of extraordinary nobles are running all over creation chasing after it. They meet all the same people (or doppelgangers of them) and do pretty much all the same stuff. What annoys me most is that Mr. Eddings has fundamentally altered some of his characters' personae. I understand that some have grown up and gone through life-changing even ...more
The Nerd Herd: King of the Murgos 1 4 Feb 22, 2014 01:49PM
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • The Quest for Saint Camber (The Histories of King Kelson, #3)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Oath of Gold (The Deed of Paksenarrion, #3)
  • Arrow's Flight (Heralds of Valdemar, #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Malloreon (5 books)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • Demon Lord of Karanda (The Malloreon, #3)
  • Sorceress of Darshiva (The Malloreon, #4)
  • The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #5)

“The old man was peering intently at the shelves. 'I'll have to admit that he's a very competent scholar.'
Isn't he just a librarian?' Garion asked, 'somebody who looks after books?'
That's where all the rest of scholarship starts, Garion. All the books in the world won't help you if they're just piled up in a heap.”
151 likes