Start by marking “De Voorspelling (De Kronieken van Belgarion, #1)” as Want to Read:
De Voorspelling (De Kronieken van Belgarion, #1)

De Voorspelling (The Belgariad #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  71,480 Ratings  ·  2,121 Reviews
Lang geleden bracht de kwade god Torak oorlog tussen mensen en goden. Maar Belgareth de Tovenaar wist de mensen ertoe te brengen de Orbus die hen zou beschermen weer op te eisen. De voorspelling luidde evenwel dat zo lang de Orbus in Riva lag, de mensen veilig zouden zijn. Het was maar een verhaal en Garion geloofde niet in voorspellingen of tovenaars, ook al had hij jaren ...more
Published 2005 by Uitgeverij M (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about De Voorspelling, please sign up.

Coffeeteamix As someone who read Pawn of Prophecy for the first time at the age of 30, I certainly felt that I'm a little too old for this. I found the young…moreAs someone who read Pawn of Prophecy for the first time at the age of 30, I certainly felt that I'm a little too old for this. I found the young protagonist difficult to relate to, which is a problem as the book was basically written from his point of view. I also found the other characters infuriatingly patronizing to the protagonist, which in turn felt like they were patronizing me. To be fair though, I've only managed to get through the first book. Maybe I'll change my mind whenever I get around to reading the rest of the series.(less)

John Conrad
Jan 14, 2008 John Conrad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone of any age who can read
Eddings has really created a beloved series of books that can be recommended to young and old alike. It is not deep or etremely thought provoking, it's just an enjoyable combination of adventure, humor, and fun. Garion, a naive farm boy, finds out that he is not ordinary at all. As he discovers his powers, he grows to adulthood through the ten books that comprise the Belgariad and the Mallorean. Critics might find some elements a bit formulaic, but few can deny that it is a fun series to read. F ...more
Brad
Jun 03, 2009 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
At Gordon Ramsey's Pétrus restaurant (1 Kinnerton Street / Knightsbridge, London / SW1X 8EA...in case you're interested), I can get a "Roasted beef fillet with braised shin, baked celeriac and Barolo sauce" for the reasonable price of £65.00 pounds.

I haven't tried that dish yet (I probably never will), but it sounds fabulous. What I have tried, though, is my Mom's "Roast beef, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables." I still make it whenever my kids are in the mood, and it costs me about $15.00
W.C.
Review here for the entire Belgariad.

I noticed that most of the reviewers give this a nostalgic loved-this-when-I-was-young rating. And they're right to do so. This is the perfect series of books for a young reader: clever enough to hold its own, exciting without being too graphic, and the youth don't notice just how bad the prose is.

I mean, it's hilariously bad. It's not that the Eddings machine can't write for beans; it's that the writing does all the hackneyed nasty cliched things that you're
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, I see all the glowing reviews and all the 4 and 5 star ratings... sigh. Here I go again.

While I don't actually dislike this book I'm pretty far from liking it either. Mostly I struggled to stay awake and keep my mind on it. It starts out slow meanders around trying to find a plot in the midst of it's standard epic fantasy stereotypes and finishes telling me I should get the next book.

Not for now, thanks.

The book wants very badly to be a standout epic. I mentioned elsewhere that it felt
Phoebe
Apr 03, 2008 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of The Belgariad, a fantasy series that includes the books: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry, and Enchanter's End Game.

Are the cares of life getting you down? Sky rocketing gas prices, financial and housing markets in ruins, high unemployment, an unending war sucking dry the country's coffers and recession looming on the horizon. Rather than resort to drink or despair, get away with some escapist fantasy! I read The Belgariad series when
Barbara
I enjoyed the Belgariad books when I read them in high school, but looking at them now, there's a lot I can pick apart that I wouldn't have as a younger reader. And there was never a time, even as a younger reader, when I didn't want the character of Ce'Nedra to die a horrible death (edited to add: which is NOT a spoiler...before chewing me out in the comments, please read a bit more carefully. Wanting a character to be killed off is not the same as revealing whether they actually do die)
Nathan
Jan 11, 2009 Nathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Nathan by: Friends, Authors
Shelves: high-fantasy
When we're all looking for a good book to read, we usually look to our favourite authors and our best friends and trust their recommnendations as to what we should try next. Such as it was for me.
The Belgariad was suggested to me by just about everyone I knew who enjoyed fantasy, and a number of my favourite authors. Imagine my surprise when I start reading and keep waiting for the story's plot to begin, and it begins to dawn on me that no such relief will be arriving.
The problems I have with th
Jim
Sep 16, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My old review from 2008 still holds. This is the beginning of a fun, 5 book series. There is another 5 book series, the Mallorean, that comes after plus several additional books, "Polgara", 'Belgarath' & the 'Mrin Codex'. If you stick with the first 5 & maybe the second 5, you'll be happy. Unless this world totally captivates you, reading the 3 additional books is kind of a waste. While there are some tidbits you can pick up, mostly they're a rehash from different POV's of the other 10 b ...more
Anthony Ryan
Dec 16, 2014 Anthony Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first volume in the five book Belgariad series, which I'll lhappily admit to reading and then rereading throughout my mid-teens. Farm boy Garion enjoys a peaceful childhood in the care of his loving and occasionally stern Aunt Pol until the arrival of assassins sees them both on the run and Garion increasingly aware that he's much more important than he could have imagined. This is where the classic 'chosen one' fantasy template gets going in earnest and it's rarely been done better. The sca ...more
Patricia
Aug 02, 2007 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fans
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME THINGS YOU MAY CONSIDER AS SPOILERS, though, I think they are just nuances because I'm not telling huge chunks of the story.

I like this book because I like Harry Potter, and they are very similar, but I’ll get to that later.

This is the first book in a series of five called The Belgariad, which chronicles the quest of a boy who learns he is a sorcerer. His parents were killed when he was a baby, and he lives with his aunt. Sound familiar? This book was published in 1982.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Give the girl a medal! She finished it!

What a fun ride - but gorrammit did Eddings HAVE to end it THAT WAY? We got some answers (thank Bilbo for that!) but dayum, it took awhile! And now, in order to get more answers and closure, I gotta find book 2!

Slightly Updated Bullet Review (More Coffee, Less Snoozes):

I had a LOT of fun reading this. It's pretty much your classic Hero's Journey story - a young boy with a MYSTERIOUS past sees all these crazy things going on. He joins his aunt-
Damian Dubois
Oct 08, 2013 Damian Dubois rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Pawn of Prophecy and the remaining four books that make up The Belgariad series are for me pure comfort reading, something that always manages to put a smile on my face and entertains me throughout.

Like many others I cut my fantasy teeth on David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series, once in my early teens and then again in my early twenties. And it was during last week and in between books that I heard the siren song of Eddings once more and knew that I had to heed the call.

I have read other
Nicolo Yu
Sep 22, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This is the first of a series of books by David Eddings that comprises his epic Belgariad, the story of a young boy thrust into the eternal contest between two competing prophesies.

This is an important book if you follow Eddings’ work as he introduces themes here in this volume and the rest of the series that he continues and repeats in his other works. Eddings pens tales of Gods meddling in mortal lives and how the gods themselves are pawns in the greater scheme of the universe.

I found the book
Eric
May 23, 2007 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially fantasy fans
Recommended to Eric by: Bob Egan
Shelves: fantasy, audiobooks
This is my favorite fantasy series of all time. I have read the Belgariad so many times, the characters Eddings created in it feel like old friends. And reading it never gets old.

To me, it is the pinnacle of contemporary epic fantasy. It is not only interesting characters and exciting adventure that made this so great, it was the believable interaction between the characters and the moments of humor sprinkled throughout the story.
Andrea
I actually quite like stories of farmboys who turn out to be kings. I'd prefer farmgirls who turn out to be queens, but...I don't think I've ever read one. Anyway, I'm not bothered by cliches. Pawn of Prophecy was quite early in treading this ground anyway.

The plot itself isn't all that impressive: Someone steals a thing that can wake the Bad God. Two ancient sorcerors team up with a couple of competent people to hunt the thing down, and they bring the ward of one of the sorcerors along on the h
Nick (Book-Absorbed Reviews)
This is the book and series that essentially sparked my interest in the fantasy genre. Now as they are slowly (and I emphasize the word slowly) being released in electronic format, I have begun to start reading them again on my Kindle. Let's be clear: Pawn of Prophecy is not Game of Thrones. It's not The Name of the Wind. Heck, it's not even Assassin's Apprentice. But what it is is an entertaining quest fantasy filled with characters who you feel you know personally by the time you finish the bo ...more
MrsJoseph

Pawn of Prophecy is the first of five books in The Belgariad series. In this book we meet our hero, Garion and most of his companions: Polgara, Belgarath, Durnik, Silk, Barak and Hettar. Garion is an orphan farmboy who is being raised on a farm (of course) in Sendaria by his aunt, Pol. This trope – the orphan farmboy – is one that the seasoned fantasy reader is quite familiar with. The big difference here is that Eddings’ Garion is one of the first of his
Wanda
PoP is truly a lovely amalgam of Tolkien and T.H. White. When I read about the Orb of Aldur, I couldn’t help but think about Tolkien and the Silmarils of Fëanor, stolen by Melkor, and burning his hands. It parallels Torak’s theft of the Orb and it’s destruction of the left side of his body.

Reputedly, Eddings was inspired to write fantasy when he saw a copy of LOTR on sale and learned that it was on its 78th printing—he went home and started to renovate a previously drawn doodle of a map into a f
Will Collins
Feb 27, 2016 Will Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book I read when I was very young, but still enjoyable today. I think this an excellent first fantasy book for young readers, or readers new to the fantasy genre. The book's title is great too.
seak
Dec 15, 2008 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I realized I still hadn't reviewed this book since I rated it in 2008 (when I joined Goodreads) and read it some time before then.

The Belgariad is great starter-fantasy. it will always have a special place in my heart and thus the admittedly inflated rating. Does it break new ground? Not at all. Is it fun and filled with great characters? Yes and no. It's definitely great fun, but the characters are pretty much cardboard cutouts. If the author made them surly (I'm looking at you Belgarath) then
Suzanne
Nov 25, 2016 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sff-2016, wobble
This was my "gateway" fantasy series - it really formed my view of what a fantasy world and magic should be. Not a lot actually happens in this first book - events, characters, and the world are just being established. Thanks Belgariad, for introducing me to my favorite genre!
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I can't quite make up my mind whether I like this one enough to try the next book in the series. On the negative side, this one is a bit too reminiscent of Lord of the Rings and too many other fantasy tales without bringing anything all that original to the mix. It's no ripoff like Sword of Shannara, but there is this ordinary young lad, Garion, on a farm with a destiny (tm) who picks up companions on a quest involving a dark object coveted by a dark lord. Like Garion, I also find it a bit much ...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. Good beginning to solid Epic Fantasy series. The Belgariad is standard reading for fantasy buffs and it is certainly well done and enjoyable. My favorite aspect of the book are some of the supporting cast (Silk being my favorite of the bunch).
Suzan Elmaghrby
Jun 20, 2016 Suzan Elmaghrby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read
The writing style is amazing, David Eddings is a master storyteller.
Lydia Presley
I love a good fantasy romp.

My brother-in-law has been after me to experience David Eddings' works and presented me with the first three books in The Belgariad series for Christmas last year. I was thrilled and apprehensive because, you see, I have this problem when it comes to fantasy - I get completely and totally sucked in.

That's not a bad thing, it's just fantasy has this ability to make me forget to eat, sleep, drink ... basically forget everything but reading. I walk around the house with
Leon Aldrich
While this series doesn't quite measure up to Magician: Apprentice, The Riddlemaster of Hed, or Lord Foul's Bane, still it should be one series on everyone's list to complete.

This will be my third go around with the Belgariad. I wanted a fresh perspective. And even though this series doesn't quite reach 4 stars, this author has a happy place in my heart.
Shelly
Jan 09, 2012 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This was fun if a bit on the lighter side from what I was expecting. It had a bit of a young adult feel to me. That fine, I just was expecting more of a epic fantasy in the traditional sense. I still thought it had a good story and I really enjoyed all of the characters, though Garion, the main character, grated from time to time. However, I'll read on in the series as I enjoyed myself.
Jane Jago
Feb 05, 2017 Jane Jago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did get on with this better this time. But. It is never going to be my favourite Eddings.

It takes too long to begin to see where it might be going.

Plus. I still don't get Polgara. It's not that she's complex. It's just that I find her irritating.

Anyway. Onwards.
Kathleen
3.75 stars. This author gets lots of rave reviews and has a wealth of supporting info on the Web, so I thought I'd try this series. It's dubbed epic fantasy, similar to The Fellowship of the Ring, with a small mixed-race motley band — Belgarath (aka Mr. Wolf) and his daughter Aunt Pol (both are sorcerers), Garion the boy, Silk the spy, Barak the giant bear-man, and Durnik the blacksmith. They form ties of loyalty and trust as they travel all over creation, led by a gray-bearded old sorcerer, att ...more
Daniel Ionson
Jun 03, 2013 Daniel Ionson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not great, sorry to say. The characters felt a bit cardboard-cutout-ish to me, and the "good guys" all felt overpowered and bullet-proof. The writing was not bad, but the story did nothing to grab my attention.
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)
  • Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)
  • The Bristling Wood (Deverry, #3)
  • The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)
  • Dragon Wing (The Death Gate Cycle, #1)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • Magic's Promise (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #2)
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)

“We're living in momentous times, Garion. The events of a thousand years and more have all focused on these very days. The world, I'm told, is like that. Centuries pass when nothing happens, and then in a few short years events of such tremendous importance take place that the world is never the same again."
I think that if I had my choice, I'd prefer one of those quiet centuries," Garion said glumly.
Oh, no," Silk said, his lips drawing back in a ferretlike grin. "Now's the time to be alive - to see it all happen, to be a part of it. That makes the blood race, and each breath is an adventure.”
102 likes
“Could you penetrate this palace, Prince Kheldar?" King Anheg challenged.
"I already have, your Majesty," Silk said modestly, "a dozen times or more."
Anheg looked at Rhodar with one raised eyebrow.
Rhodar coughed slightly. "It was some time ago, Anheg. Nothing serious. I was just curious about something, that's all."
"All you had to do was ask," Anheg said in a slightly injured tone.
"I didn't want to bother you," Rhodar said with a shrug. "Besides, it's more fun to do it the other way.”
62 likes