Start by marking “Profetie (Symphony of Ages, #2)” as Want to Read:
Profetie (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Profetie (Symphony of Ages #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,247 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
In Profetie zet Haydon het verhaal voort over Rapsodie, een jonge vrouwelijke troubadour, die in een wereld vol magie, romantiek en spanning het hoofd moet bieden aan oeroude duistere krachten.
Rapsodie, Achmed en Grunthor de F'dor zijn ontsnapt door de wortels van Sagia. Tijdens hun epische reis zijn eeuwen verstreken, zijn hun thuislanden vernietigd en hun volkeren versp
Published 2002 by Uitgeverij M (first published July 14th 2000)

Maya
Jan 10, 2012 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This will be shorter than my review of Rhapsody, really. REALLY.

The thing about this series is I love the plot. I love the world and the set-up and the mythos and I really, really love Achmed and his dry sense of humor and Grunthor and his violent nursery rhymes. But. But but but.

I HATE RHAPSODY'S HAIR.

NOW THAT WE'RE GETTING TO SEE ASHE WITHOUT HIS CAPE, I HATE HIS HAIR TOO.

MAY THEY HAVE BALD CHILDREN, OH GOD, PLEASE.

The sex is also... overwhelmingly unnecessary, just as I feared. And yet despit
Stephen
Nov 10, 2008 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 stars. Excellent sequel to the superb Rhapsody: Child of Blood. This is one of those "under the radar" fantasy series that really are worth-while reads. Good characters, strong world building and an interesting plot. Recommended!!
Feb 25, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
Blergh. You guys, I can't read high fantasy anymore. I don't know whether I've grown as a reader or I've just read too much, but high fantasy just seems really tired to me. And this particular book was a total Mary Sue fest. I probably would have enjoyed it more if Achmed was the main character and Rhapsody had disappeared from the story completely, though then we wouldn't have had Ashe, who I really enjoy.

A big irritation for me was the way the author uses twenty-five dollar words. She misuses
Lynzie
Feb 05, 2010 Lynzie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jenn Cotton
Mar 18, 2008 Jenn Cotton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The heroine is frequently called intelligent, but never proves this. Despite her intelligence, she's completely unaware of the effect her utter physical perfection has on everyone that meets her. She is called fair and compassionate despite being haughty and judgmental.

However, the absolute worst of it is any interaction that involves Ashe. Aside from the fact that he comes off as a player character someone rolled up for a d&d campaign (see, I'm this half-dragon...), his presence turns any c
wishforagiraffe
Strong middle book that answers a lot of questions from the first book but sets up the concluding volume very well. The political situation gets much more interesting, and the mystery deepens. I really enjoyed this book.
Flint
Jan 06, 2011 Flint rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
If you read the first book, "Rhapsody: Child of Blood," and felt it was a bit slow and uneventful, then you should stay clear of the sequel, because this one expands on all the things you didn't like about the first book. There is absolutely no action or suspense whatsoever, nor do you get any sense of urgency with the so called impending threat of the evil F'dor, who shows up at the end of the book. Haydon instead devotes her entire novel to writing as many crying scenes as she can for Rhapsody ...more
Gaijinmama
Jan 19, 2011 Gaijinmama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
This book is the second of the Symphony of Ages series. The series is still in progress, but so far this is my favorite, for two main reasons. Firstly, not to mince words......our heroine Rhapsody finally Gets Some (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean ?). Like every other aspect of her writing, Haydon gives us....ahem.... Good Parts that are really really good. In fact, go ahead and dog-ear pages 478 and 506 right now! Rhapsody had her sweet, romantic teenage encounter in the first book, ...more
Dianna
Sep 16, 2015 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this second book than the first, probably because the romance between Rhapsody and Ashe takes off. It's what I've been patiently waiting for all through the first book. The scene at the end was really sweet, and I hope Rhapsody will remember the events of that night soon.

Overall the events in this book moved the story along at a pretty good pace. We got to see more of the characters we all know and love and learn about Ashe's past as well. (view spoiler)
Danae Jacot
May 12, 2015 Danae Jacot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Age range: be advised, it contains some foul language and adult themes, including graphic violence and sexual scenes
Rhapsody and Prophecy, the first two books in the Rhapsody Trilogy are exceptionally well-written and extremely detailed with a complex and creative mythology. Haydon is a master of the long game. She expertly crafts deep characters with more than enough layers to keep the reader growing closer to the characters, protagonists and antagonists alike, through several books more than 6
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because Achmed has found a dragon-claw dagger in the depths of the castle, Rhapsody goes with Ashe to return it before the dragon decides to come back for it first. Achmed and Grunthor strongly disagree, but Rhapsody will have her own way in this. As she and Ashe travel, the mystery around him deepens. Who is he? Why does he always remain behind a mask? And what of the F'dor, the demon bent on consuming the world in the unholy fire of destruction?

Though clearly a sequel, in a nice touch the book
Férial
Jan 31, 2015 Férial rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gah. How to rate this book ?

3 stars like I did for the first one of this series ? Not fair. This one was better as :

#1 it had less crap (you know, the dazzlingly dazzling Rhapsody thing that was so annoying)
#2 it had very well written emotional moments (and no, I'm not talking about the sex scenes)
#3 it explained better the world our heroes live now in
#4 it had a lot of Grunthor and Achmed
#5 there were dragons (yup, I like dragons)
#6 the hiding of who the F'dor host is was really well done. Up t
Kelly
Jan 23, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written, and the world building is fairly intricate. Unfortunately, the author is painfully in love with her characters. This book would be half its size if we eliminated all the tantalizing descriptions of how gorgeous and intoxicating the hero and heroine are. Her unhealthy admiration of her characters prevents her from taking risks that would further their development or create even create some sort of attachment for the reader. It's fun brain candy, though.
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent three weeks reading this rather large fantasy novel. Like the first novel in this trilogy, this book had a lot of slow parts. The books starts off well with a quest for Rhapsody, and I quite enjoyed this. But when she returns to Ylorc, then book slowed down dramatically.

A lot of mysteries form the first book in the series, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, are finally answered. Of this, I was greatly relieved. Personally, I find the interaction between Rhapsody and Ashe enjoyable.

I loved that
Monica
Dec 16, 2013 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you don't like romantic plot lines, then this is definitely not the series for you. The romance between Ash and Rhapsody is what really drives this story, but it is all the secondary characters that kept me coming back for more. The main character can be so perfect at some times that its a bit annoying, but I really love this book. I live the world, and it's very easy to become immersed in it.
Tiffany
I feel the same way about this book as I do about Rhapsody, the first in the series. There were times when for the most part I was frustrated due to characters just.. not using common sense! Acting how a typical person would. I realize it's fantasy and a person can react any which way, but you can typically predict how one person is going to react!
Rhapsody, the character, I found was still not connect-able, with her Mary-Sue qualities.
Elynoses (Might have spelled that wrong) was adorable!

The
bookwormmama
Jan 14, 2016 bookwormmama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might even have to go with a 4.5 on this one. First of all, if you read Rhapsody, but are undecided on whether to read on; do it. For me, Rhapsody had a bit of a LOTR feel to it in that they travelled, travelled, and then travelled some more; I did like it, though, and felt it had promise. Now that I've read Prophecy, I think I was right. Lots happened, there's a lot still to happen, and although some things you might be able to see coming, there's so much more that you can't. Rhapsody herself ...more
Niki Hawkes
Jul 12, 2014 Niki Hawkes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Via The Obsessive Bookseller at www.nikihawkes.com

This is actually my second read-through of this novel. Why I chose to reread one of the most long-winded fantasies out there is beyond me, but at the time it perfectly suited my mood, so no regrets. You see, back in December (yes, it has taken me that long to get around to writing this review… embarrassing) I had signed up for so many NetGalley and Edelweiss ARCs that my life pretty much revolved around “obligation” reading. I finally got fed up
Kirsten Rodning
Feb 27, 2012 Kirsten Rodning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think Elizabeth Haydon has created a wonderful world with mostly like-able characters (though at times Rhapsody herself leans into Mary Sue territory). The only real problem that I have with this series is that the books are too long. That's not to say that parts should be cut -- I just think that the series could have benefited by being divided into more volumes. Towards the end of the book I was trying to remember things that had happened at the beginning -- things that seemed like they happ ...more
Winnie
Jul 07, 2008 Winnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I found Prophecy much harder to get interested in than Rhapsody. It took over half the book for me to get hooked on the story. I loved the meeting between Elysynos the dragon and Rhapsody. The love affair between Ashe and Rhapsody is delightful, if a little cliche. Everyone knows they're going to get together, the only question is whether he is actually the Rakshas demon who will devour her soul and spirit. When we finally discover the Child of the Earth, (the Sleeping Child), events begin to ac ...more
Kit
Apr 30, 2012 Kit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let's see. About this book. It gets two stars because...well, two stars mean "it was okay" and that's my reaction to it. I can't hate on it entirely because I loved it when I was sixteen. However now...ehh.

I ran Rhapsody against the Mary Sue Litmus Test. She scored an 82. 71 and above, according to said test, is a hopeless, irredeemable Sue. But I'm fairly certain everyone who read this book already knows this, right chaps?
So for those of you exposed in the first book, it only gets worse here. T
Manami
Aug 02, 2012 Manami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fantasy
Joshua
Feb 17, 2009 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Haydon LOVES the word bellwether. A lot of the things I wrote in my review for the first book come into play here as well, so I won't repeat myself.

Child of Earth is a great sequel to Child of Blood. Rhapsody goes on a fact-finding mission, and things begin to make sense.

Call me romantic, but I actually like Ashe. A bit of their stubbornness with each other goes a long way, however, and I found myself wanting to slap both of them. I did love being kept in suspense as to how the story
Jen
May 23, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Mercedes Lackey
Recommended to Jen by: Greg
A continuation of Rhapsody. The pace of this book was far better than the first with lots of nice plot twists and turns. It digs further into the unique lore of the world and sheds some light on the layers of plot that were laid earlier.

*Spoiler*
The most notable change in this book is Rhapsody's romance with Ashe. I saw that other people commented on this negatively saying it was like a bad romance novel. Some of this speculation is warranted. Some of the dialogue is very cheesy, and the descrip
Hack
Nov 15, 2007 Hack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
if i weren't so interested in Achmed, i would have stopped reading these books. as it is, i find Rhapsody's relationship with Ashe really obnoxious. i'm really happy for them that the people they fell in love with at FOURTEEN was the love of their lives. eww. aside from the romantic aspect of the book, i really enjoyed the finding of the sleeping child in the earth and i think that Grunthor is the perfect person to watch over her.

i'm getting really tired of Rhapsody, who wasted the only words th
Allyson Doutt
Feb 23, 2015 Allyson Doutt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this story and finish the series but I just can't! The last 7 or so chapters in this book have a sex scene just about every other paragraph. Hello! what happened to the story!? The scenes had nothing to do with the story itself and did nothing to enhance the characters in any way. I'm moving on to another series. ..a shame too I really wanted to like it since Achmed is so funny and it had dragons.
Lizzi
Apr 28, 2014 Lizzi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very 'meh' about this book. It is overlong, and rhapsody is still irritating. Achmed and grunther are the main reasons for reading this now, though the world that's been established is also interesting.

Steer clear if you don't want to read a romance book as this is basically what this story is, albeit in a fantasy world. Hoping the third book might get a little more involved in the world over rhapsody's love life.
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 LINCCReviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt that this book was a staging point between a two halves of a story. There was a lot of emphasis on the relationship between Ash and Rhapsody, which I wouldn't ordinarily mind, if there had been a heavy emphasis on the relationship from the beginning of the story.

Other than this I thought she did a good job at foreshadowing the closure of the series. (firedagger)
Zarinah
Jun 03, 2015 Zarinah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is part 2 of Raspody the girl with sword of fire. So overall the book is great. The author is really invested in her characters and the fantasy of make of make believe. So some great things in this second book is maintaining the world and characters. I always enjoy the dialogs.
In this book the author does alot of repeating the first book scenes and facts and I just feel its a waste.
We still get to see Raspody use her sword and that's great! I also enjoyed her using her naming skills.
but
Heather Hile
We get to meet some new characters and learn about some more magic. It was also interesting to see more history and geography of the land. I liked the action and the mysteries. There were some parts of the book that were not as compelling so they took longer to read, but overall I liked it.
  • Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Wild Magic (Fool's Gold, #2)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,
More about Elizabeth Haydon...

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)