Start by marking “Missed Connections” as Want to Read:
Missed Connections

Missed Connections

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
"Why doesn't she just open up her ears and listen?" Few physical problems are as poorly understood as hearing loss. In Missed Connections, a new kind of self-help book that combines sociological reporting with personal reflection, sociologist Barbara Stenross examines what hearing loss feels like to those who have it and which technologies and strategies can improve ...more
Published April 22nd 1999 by Temple University Press

To ask other readers questions about Missed Connections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missed Connections

Alayne
Jul 24, 2008 Alayne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who need to better understand how having a hearing loss affects those with the disability.
Recommended to Alayne by: Valerie Guy
This book was given to me my a friend who is a deaf/hard of hearing teacher. My daughter (who has a unilateral hearing loss) has had her for a teacher in the past. The book does a really nice job of describing the difficulties encountered by hard of hearing people. Most of this information I already knew. It was hard to relate to this book as it described hearing loss in adults whose loss of hearing appeared in adulthood. Also, these people had hearing loss in both ears. No one described in the ...more
Kelly Sweet
Apr 17, 2013 Kelly Sweet rated it liked it
I found this book very readable, and useful (if a bit dated at this point). My mother is profoundly deaf and I'm trying o understand it better. Her hearing has gotten worse over the years and only last year did I get in touch with how profoundly it affects her, after sharing a room and traveling together for a couple of weeks.
Dioscita
Sep 14, 2009 Dioscita rated it it was ok
So far, so snooooze ... I hope it improves or this one is going in the "couldn't finish it" pile. Ok, I've finished the book and it did improve. But only somewhat. There were a few jewels to be found here but overall the book was mostly rocks (or some better and cooler metaphor than that).
Elizabeth Meadows
Jun 20, 2014 Elizabeth Meadows rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Unpolished and often difficult to follow, this little book lends a good deal of insight to the invisible and insidious problems hearing loss can cause in relationships, and offers advice on how to lessen the social damage.
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Mahdi
Mahdi rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Eclarep
Nov 29, 2009 Eclarep rated it did not like it
Mostly about old people losing their hearing. Not exactly relevant to a teen/young adult.
Bonnie Hansen
Bonnie Hansen rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Bill Stenross
Bill Stenross rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Mckenzie
Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Nikkie Riot
Nikkie Riot rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
amy
amy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2009
Stephen Swanson
Stephen Swanson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Katie W
Katie W marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Brannan
Brannan marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Dara
Dara marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Stine Sørensen
Stine Sørensen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Krystle Kouture
Krystle Kouture marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Terri Schumacher
Terri Schumacher marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Kimberley Shaw
Kimberley Shaw marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Katarzyna_Ana
Katarzyna_Ana marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Neli Chakarova
Neli Chakarova marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Le Tart
Le Tart marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Iben
Iben marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2016