Start by marking “Forbidden Boy” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,724 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews

Julianne's Summer Rules:

Finish all art projects by August
Survive summer job surrounded by cute boys
Hit the beach every day
Avoid the new neighbors (even though their son is hot!)

When Julianne falls for Remi at a bonfire party, her summer is off to a perfect start. Sure, her obnoxious new neighbours are muscling her family off their beachfront property, but she has week

Published April 22nd 2008 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Boy

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny HanAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsIt's Not Summer Without You by Jenny HanThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Summer Break Books for YA
94th out of 553 books — 514 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Selection by Kiera CassFallen by Lauren KateEntwined by Heather DixonHalo by Alexandra Adornetto
Best Covers Ever
108th out of 709 books — 517 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Apr 27, 2011 Jessica rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Jessica by: Honestly, I don't know what I've been thinking...
I don’t know, maybe I’m too old for these kind of books but IMO this is completely ridiculous.

For one thing, the dialogues between the two sisters, Jules and Chloe, as well as the ones with their dad feel completely forced and plastic. Seriously, the way they talk makes me want to puke or poke myself in the eye with a sharp object.

I’m sorry, I’m being a little overdramatic today.

Then there’s the plot. It goes something like this:

Jules meets Remi at a beach party and they feel an instant connect
Krista
Sep 07, 2011 Krista rated it did not like it
So I do not like to give bad reviews and I'm usually a sucker for cheesy romance, but this was just painful. Not only was the whole story line a little too cliche, but also incredibly unbelievable. I grew up with 5 sisters and let me tell you, the sister banter in this story was ridiculous! And the guy meets girl, barely say 2 words to each other and then they're madly in love... a little too over the top. Not worth the read.
Shxrxn
Jun 10, 2010 Shxrxn rated it liked it
So you can enjoy yourself or you can pretend to enjoy yourself, but those are your only options
- Chloe
You can learn to love it or you can learn to fake it.
- Chloe
And you know what’s a great stressreliever? Making out.
- Chloe
Summer is totally a time of infinite possibilities. We’ll work hard; then we’ll beach harder.
- Chloe
Guys are such drama queens.
- Julianne
There are a lot of different interpretations of beauty,Julianne.
- Remi
If you’re meant for each other, all the pieces will come together som
Luz
Jul 23, 2009 Luz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People Who Like Romance
Recommended to Luz by: No One
I enoyed reading this book. It was sort of romantic, kind of like a modern version of Romeo and Juliet except not too much tragedy. It's about these two teenagers, Julianne Kahn and Remi Moore. They meet at this bonfire party at the beach and there's a spark between them instantly. Then after they find out that they are eachother's enemies because of Remi's parents are planning to take away the Kahn's home. After that they go through so many obstacles to be together no matter what. I think this ...more
Summer
Jan 22, 2013 Summer rated it liked it
Forbidden love in the modern since of it can be quite entertaining, and that's exactly what Forbidden Boy did. I didn't really know what to think or expect because I haven't read a book that's not full of angst and intensity in forever. That's not to say this book didn't have it's own twists and turns, because it did, but it wasn't on the same intensity level as Beautiful Disaster.

Meet Remi. He's an architecture major. He surfs. He knows all about art. And he's hot.

Meet Julianne. She's an artis
Natshane
Nov 25, 2010 Natshane rated it it was amazing
First of all, this book is very entertaining. Even the name of the book is entertaining, haha. Hey, interesting titles is vital to attract readers, LOL. Okay, maybe it's just me because I love reading about forbidden love, that's why I love the Twilight Series, LOL.

Back to this book, falling in love with the boy next door whose parents are planning to demolish your house, not exactly the perfect boyfriend now wouldn't it? But what made me fall for this book is that, the boy next door is a total
Nikki  Peterson
Jul 03, 2014 Nikki Peterson rated it really liked it
It's the beginning of summer and Julianne and her sister Chloe go to a bonfire party on the beach. Julianne has just finished her junior year of high school and Chloe is home from college for the summer. Julianne meets Remi after he is sent careening into Chloe and knocking her down. They are instantaneously mesmerized by one another. A love at first sight if you will. They bump into each other the next day and spend time together until around dinner time, when Remi has to head home for dinner w ...more
Megan Batz
May 23, 2014 Megan Batz rated it it was amazing
This was an really good book. It was about a girl named Julianne who lives on the beach and her mother was painting the beach but than died and she promised her mom that she would finish painting it. Julianne goes to a party and meets this boy named Remi who came back from collage for the summer. As she gets closer to Remi she find out that his parents are her neighbors that just moved in and are trying to buy her house so they can tear it down and add onto their house. She is so upset that she ...more
Jillyn
Mar 25, 2013 Jillyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: blog, given-away
It's summer, and Julianne has some serious plans for fun and relaxation. She's going to try and ignore the tensions at home.... Mansions are being put up each and every day, and the owners are trying to bully the family into selling their home to be part of another vast expansion that they don't need. Their newest neighbors are especially pushy, but who needs them? She's got her projects, and her beach, and summer is calling her name. That is until she meets this dreamy boy, Remi. She's so excit ...more
Amanda
Jul 07, 2009 Amanda added it
Shelves: 11th-grade
"Forbidden Boy" by Hailey Abbott talks about a girl named Julianne who lost her mom and is a brilliant artist like her mom. Julianne has a sister named Chloe who's older than her. They live with their father on an ocean front beach in a house that has been there forever. Lately a lot of rich folks have been taking away parts of the beach and the land to build their big mansion paradise home. Unfortunatly Julianne's neighbors have been pressuring her family to sell their house to them in order t ...more
Klaudia
Nov 03, 2009 Klaudia marked it as to-read
Shelves: ssr
Klauida Szlosek
14/15
Hailey Abbott
lexile 870
11/03/09

In this book there were three minor characters that had big impact on this book. The characters with the most mainor impact were boy and a girl. The boys name was Remi. He fell in love with a girl named Juliane. They both relly loved each other untill the girl found out that he was living next to them and they were neighbors. The girl didnt like her neighbors because they took over the beach. She was doing everything to faind ou
Tori
Jul 07, 2009 Tori rated it it was amazing
It's summer time, time to relax on the beach, get a tan and obviously date some hot guys. But with the racket going on next door, summer for Julianne and her family has Julianne tumbling in trouble. Its Forbidden boy by Hailey Abbott, and you guessed it Julianne falls in love with a boy that she is forbidden to see... well that's what her and her sister think he is. This book is so very touching, especially the part where Julianne finally tells Remi off about his family's. This part is so intens ...more
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Feb 13, 2012 Andi (Andi's ABCs) rated it it was ok
Not one of Abbot's best. I didn't really relate with the characters at all nor did I find myself caring what appended to them. I thought it was a little rushed with parts missing so things just didn't add up. I will say that Remi was adorable, if not a little too old for his age, and I'm now officially dying for summer.
Kristi
Mar 23, 2015 Kristi rated it did not like it
Shelves: trc2015
This book has been read and reviewed for Reading Thru the Library.

In Forbidden Boy, the Great Millennial Novel, Julianne and her family try to cope with the ever-developing beachfront that their deceased mother loved, while our protagonist also admittedly stalks the son of the family that's developing the beach. The boy, Remi, also happens to be her boss at the construction site where they both hold summer jobs.

I decided that, in order to curb my ranting about horrible writing and horrible char
Konica Sh
Nov 02, 2012 Konica Sh rated it did not like it
Can I sue the writer for wasting 3 hours from my life?
Jessica Peters
Dec 26, 2015 Jessica Peters rated it liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
When I finished this book it was a solid 4 stars for me. But, as I sat down to write my review I realized there were a lot of aspects of the book that bothered me. Giving it a little more thought I brought the rating down to 3 stars. Here's why...

The book started off with a good start as the author introduces the main character Julianne, and her sister Chloe. Right off the bat I got the cutesy contemporary vibe I was hoping for.
Julianne a creative artist and Chloe an over-achiever were heading t
Wendy
Apr 17, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
Julianne lived in a peaceful neighborhood since she was small until one day her mother died leaving behind a garden for Julianne. But then as Julianne grew up, her neighborhood became more wealthy. Rich snobby people came to her neighborhood and bought many houses, some even came knocking on Julianne's door giving her an offer. But Julianne refuses to sell her house even when the seller give her a great offer. Then suddenly one day a new neighbor moved in. From that day on Julianne hates her nei ...more
Kayla
Jan 27, 2009 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: advisory, ninth-grade
By: Hailey Abbott
256 pgs
Harper Teen NewYork, NY
ISBN:0061253820

When something is "Forbidden", it makes not wanting it even harder. Just like the love between Romeo and Juliet, it shouldn't happen because it goes against everything their families stand for. Although their families kept them apart, they still found ways to declare their love for each other, because the just couldn't help it.

In stolen kisses and under the dock, Julianne doesn't care for the rich neighbors. When she mee
Sana
Jul 24, 2011 Sana rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Forbidden Boy promised a summer full of sun, fun and of course, the forbidden boy. Hailey Abbott sure did make me fall under the spell of the ever enchanting beach. It was beautiful the way she described the beach and its surroundings and at the same time, being undermined by the Moores. I liked the way it all played out though it involved slight drama, as well.

I really liked the way the art and architecture was included in the story and yes, the eco-friendly undertones, too. It was all fresh, s
Rose
May 12, 2011 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love light romance summer stories
Every now and again, I find myself wanting to read a summer love story - I used to read a lot of them growing up and some of my favorite YA books have revolved around coming of age summer stories with a dash of romance, drama, and light hearted laughs. Sure, there were lessons to be had in the books I read, but at the same time, there are certain books where you feel like you just want to go along for the ride - catch the wave and see where it takes you.

I haven't read any of Hailey Abbott's othe
Jodie (Books for Company)
Aug 25, 2011 Jodie (Books for Company) rated it really liked it
www.booksforcompany.com
I picked Forbidden boy up for two reasons, the first one is that l have had this on my shelf way too long! Secondly l wanted a nice easy read which was a light heart book with a cute little romance in. Forbidden Boy was just what the doctor prescribed, it had everything that l needed at the point in time which l picked this up. The romance, beach, sun, friendship, family and summer!
Before l start to tell you my feelings on this book let me just explain what not to expect f
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Julianne falls for a boy she meets at a party at the beginning of the summer. He gives her his phone number, but without realizing it she drops it in the sand. Fortunately, they bump into each other again and the sparks fly.

Then she discovers he's the son of the family who has moved next door and is trying to force her family out of their beach home -- as well as destroy the beach with their monster house in the process.

Her sister declares that R
Maggie
Jun 04, 2014 Maggie rated it it was ok
I think I may have come to the point in my reading career where I feel too old to read a book like this. Or maybe I just couldn't stand most of the main characters in this one. This was a flip for me. But I really did like the dad and coworkers.
Robyne
Jan 21, 2016 Robyne rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This book was written like a romance novel for teens. The story/characters were generic and not very interesting. The writing was boring. I only gave it 2 stars because it became a little romantic towards the end.
Vy
May 02, 2014 Vy rated it liked it
This book is such a perfect summer read-I mean, it takes place in the summer...at the beach! The characters were all pretty one dimensional and the romance seemed a bit rushed in my opinion, but it was still a face paced read. I didn't really like the main character, Julianne, she seemed a bit pretentious and was a bit overdramatic. But I did like her relationship with her sister, Chloe, however. They just seemed like best friends who could tell each other everything, and that was really cute. I ...more
Aimie
Jan 24, 2016 Aimie rated it liked it
It wasn't that interesting. Basically this whole novel was about a boy and a girl who fall in love but can't be together because their families will disapprove.....does this sound familiar? If you guessed Romeo & Juliet, you win!

It lacked alot for me. I wanted to see what they would tell their parents and all that but it ended up having to be kept as a secret? Like seriously, we are currently at 2013! Go to your parents and if they say no, have a secret meetings then.

In the end this was no
The FairyNomad
Mar 05, 2016 The FairyNomad rated it really liked it
Check out my review at my blog http://623274.wix.com/thefairynomad
Vidhi Chheda
Feb 10, 2015 Vidhi Chheda rated it it was ok
Hmmmm... it was so and so...

No character crush, no gush, no emotion.. Won't read it a second time.
Barbara Malecki
Feb 11, 2016 Barbara Malecki rated it liked it
Not my favourite of all her books
Kayla Gerard-Hermitte
Mar 31, 2014 Kayla Gerard-Hermitte rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book at all! It was a super cheesy summer romance, very predictable.
  • The Boyfriend Trick (First Kisses, #2)
  • Before That Night (One Night That Changes Everything, #0.5)
  • Love on the Lifts
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • So Inn Love
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • Falling for Romeo
  • Save the Date
  • Fireworks (Four Summer Stories)
  • Island Summer
  • Cruel Summer (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #1)
  • Summer in the City
  • Lost It
Hailey Abbott grew up in Southern California, where she split her time between creative writing and creative beaching. She is the author of Summer Boys, Next Summer: A Summer Boys Novel, The Bridesmaid, Getting Lost with Boys, and The Secrets of Boys. Hailey now lives in New York City.

Her first book was Summer Boys, published in 2004, the first of a series. It was described as "escapist beach rea
More about Hailey Abbott...