Start by marking “Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas” as Want to Read:
Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas

Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,429 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
"My mother was Piratica. She was a pirate captain."

Artemesia spent her childhood on a pirate ship, and she's sick of practicing deportment at the Angels Academy for Young Maidens. So she escapes, and sets out to find her mother's crew and breezily commands them out to sea. Soon, the young captain - now called Art - shapes her men into the cleverest pirate band afloat. And
Published July 6th 2006 by Firebird (first published February 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Piratica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piratica

Κωνσταντίνος Τσουρέκης
Το βιβλίο αυτό το ξεκίνησα στις διακοπές το καλοκαίρι και άργησα να το τελειώσω γιατί το ξέχασα στο εξοχικό πράγμα που το μετάνιωσα. Όταν ξαναέπεσε στα χέρια μου, συνειδητοποίησα για μια ακόμα φορά πως η Tanith Lee καταφέρνει με το προσωπικό της ύφος να με γοητεύει. Η Πειράτικα είναι ένα από τα παιδικά βιβλία της το οποίο είναι ευφυές. Η ιδέα του όρου πειρατής ξεπερνά το κλισέ και ζωντανεύει ξανά με διαφορετική οπτική γωνία στο μυαλό του αναγνώστη. Αξίες όπως η πίστη, η δικαιοσύνη, η αφοσίωση εί ...more
travelmel
May 01, 2010 travelmel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book for two reasons: 1) I've been meaning to read something by Tannith Lee 2) I'm addicted to the Bloody Jack series and fear it's drawing to a close.

At first I was dismayed.. she's nothing like Jacky. No fun, no silliness, all seriousness. But it was probably a good thing, really, as the comaparisons in my mind stopped pretty early on.

I'm not much of a plot discusser so I'll say this: The begining was a bit slow but... maybe lots of books are and I should just quit being crit
Lady Knight
I have probably read this book at least a half dozen times and every time I start out by asking myself why I'm reading it; I hate the writing style. But everytime I get past the first few chapters and am so enthralled with the plot and the humour that I forget about it and enjoy the book to no end. Tanith Lee is a master at wit and humour (despite the writing style that can be grating at times). This book is highly enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

Art, at the age of sixteen, is emprisoned in
Hack
Oct 16, 2007 Hack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was really cute. it started out a bit slow, but sped up fairly quickly. i thought the main character was a bit crazy at first, but she seemed to become more real as i read more. the only part i didn't like was the continuing references to a certain play. every action in the book was compared to this play, which after a while made me want to shake the next person to make the comparison. however, in the end, the references had a reason for being in the book. overall, it was a good read ( ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Just not for me. I thought it was YA and checked it from the library, but it's geared more towards ten year olds. The pirates are silly and hang out in a coffee house and drink coffee rather than rum. Kinda strange. But if I was ten, I would probably love it I'm not ten though and not in the mood for coffee drinking pirates. I didn't finish.
Althea Ann
Sep 28, 2013 Althea Ann rated it it was ok
I was really excited when this book came out. I fully expected to totally love it - Lee is one of my favorite authors, so.. Lee and pirates? How could it go wrong?
I'm not quite sure, but somehow it does.
Set in a 'slightly parallel world' in 1802 (which basically means that place names are spelled wrong: the river Thamis flows through Lundun, for example), 'Piratica' gives us a young woman named Artemisia, who, while studying deportment at her girls' school, falls and hits her head. After this bl
Lynette
Jul 31, 2013 Lynette rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi
Oct 17, 2013 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was not my cup of tea.
Georgie Penn
Jan 07, 2008 Georgie Penn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to read Pirate stories.
I thought this was a really fun book. A lot of sword fighting, and treasure seeking. I really thought it was great that the main character would not kill anyone even though she was a pirate.

However at the end of the book, Art Blastside is about to be hanged when Felix, the guy she loves, jumps up on the gallows, and stops the hanging with a magnificent speech, and Art, or Piratica as she is called by all her many fans, is spared!
Felix uses the excuse that Piratica never hurt anyone, she may ha
Wendy
Mar 09, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I found this slow going at first, though it really picked up in the second half, once the heroine encounters her nemesis and really sets off on her quest. If the whole book had been as good as the second half, I'd have easily given it four stars.

Something that bothered me a tad is the way the book tries to deal with the ethics of piracy. The book is very careful to make the heroine and her crew nice pirates - they never actually kill anyone, and somehow they only seem to rob unpleasant people w
Allisa
May 15, 2016 Allisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm reviewing this book a few months after I read it... and still wow.

After a bump to her head, Art remembers everything. She remembers that her mother was a pirate queen and so, instead of staying in a school for young ladies that her terrible father has put her in, she runs off and gathers her mother's old crew and sails the seas as the daring Pirate Queen Piratica.

Doesn't this sound like the best book ever?! I LOVED IT. Every moment. The plot was a whirlwind; clever, the narration had t
Sarah Graham
Jul 19, 2015 Sarah Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-13-25
After six years of ladies’ training and a very literal bump on the head, Artemesia finally regains her memories of her mother, Molly Faith. Memories full of faraway places, adventures on the high seas, and being raised by her mother’s band of pirates, come rushing back and Art escapes the ladies boarding school and sets off to find all that’s left after her mother’s ship was defeated and Molly Faith killed. Once she finds the remaining pirates, it doesn’t take long for Art to see just how much h ...more
Ashley
Occasionally I have an itch to read a book geared towards the younger crowd. I like the simple, short, and to the point plots that are made to hold the interest of middle schoolers. This book really fell flat. The story had so many plot holes, the characters, especially the MC were unbelievable and boring. I guess at some point the MC and love interest fell in love (maybe it was their second 5 word conversation "get below deck, your useless!", which was probably the most unbelievable part of the ...more
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Jun 16, 2012 Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah* rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of swasbuckling, fun-filled pirate stories
I really really enjoyed this book. This is a fun-filled, action adventure story about a young girl who is very strong spirited; enough so that she becomes Capt. of a pirate crew (sort of) and becomes the most notorious and well loved Pirate Queens! If you're looking for a fun book about pirates, then look no further!
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 Taylor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young women and little girls of all ages
Shelves: childrens, fiction
What is cooler than a non-violent,terribly cunning, utterly devious, sixteen-year-old Pirate Queen? And who in their right mind wouldn't want to read about her? This book rocks. If I were flying a flag, it would totally be a pink skull-and-crossbones (pink for a girl).
Janelle
This is the first of Tanith Lee's books I have read and it proved to be most enjoyable. She has a poetic style that may not be easily read by some young readers, but those who can adapt to her style will enjoy a novel with a memorable plot and characters.
Susan
Didn't make it very far with this book - liked the premise, but the writing felt very much like someone trying way too hard to please the professor in Creative Writing 101.
Vicktor Chief
Dec 05, 2009 Vicktor Chief rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A philosophical and spiritual enlightenment, a joy to read simple but deep meaning poetry.
Beautiful illustrations that draw you in at another level.
Lizzie
Aug 17, 2008 Lizzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally loved this book! It's one of my favorites! It's one of those adventure/romance books! Just my kind of book!!!!!!!!!!!!
carrietracy
Sep 29, 2011 carrietracy marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this was too bad for me to continue. I returned it to the library with great relief.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Tried to read it through but ended up skimming it. Blurb completely fooled me.
Sam
Mar 17, 2014 Sam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book, if you enjoy pirates, comedy, a tad bit of romance, 'Shakespur' quotations, and adventure I really recommend.
A young noble's daughter, Artimesa, lives in a prissy girl's boarding school until she falls down the steps and hits her head on an eagle banister. All of her memories from age 4 and before come rushing back, and she remembers that her mother was a pirate and that's why her father never talks about her.
She runs away, becomes a pirate, gets her mother's old crew
Rebekah
Feb 24, 2009 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! I love the idea of the Pirate Coffee ship!
Ана Хелс
Mar 29, 2015 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Спомняте ли си преди години, когато Джони Деп за първи път представи един от най-ярките, по съвсем буквален начин, образи – любимци на децата, в лицето на алкохолизирания, нехигиеничен и винаги измъкващ се като добре смазани чревца из всякакви проблеми Капитан Джак Спароу. Е, разбира се , не закъсняха и феминистичните отговори по въпроса за корав, готин и оцеляващ тип от предимно женски пол, които да станат достатъчно симпатични на подрастващите дами, и някои по-меки господа, че да изтикат лъжли ...more
Mary-Beth
Aug 24, 2014 Mary-Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I would really give this a 3.5 I think if it existed. The story is very entertaining. I have a lot of problems with finding any of it plausible, so I can't in all conscience say it was great, but it's a very good time.

Art wakes up after hitting her head thinking she's uncovered her true past: her mother was a pirate! Unfortunately, she is incorrect and her mother only played a pirate on the stage, but this doesn't stop Art from becoming an amazing pirate herself and from pulling along her mother
Kaila
Jul 01, 2011 Kaila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so this is my second book about pirates and it was awesome!It had many twist and turns that i didn't know what to expect. i mean it almost look liked it wasn't going to be about pirates for one moment. the main character was at an all girls academy and she falls and bonks her head and she's like "WAIT, i am not girly lady, i am daughter of the most feared pirate Queen of England!' then from that point on she is trying to make her way back to the her mother's crew. it gets crazier from there and ...more
Anastasia
-- Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books. --

Immediately upon reading the first page of Piratica I was sucked into it, and it kept my interest and enthusiasm right up until the end. I've never read a Tanith Lee book before this one, although her name did seem familiar to me, but if her other books are like this one I think I may have discovered one of my favorite YA authors.

That's not to say that Piratica doesn't have problems-- it's a little bit melodramatic and the plot takes suspension of
Alice
Why was this book not around when I was younger? This had everything my young self loved: adventure, romance, pirates who don't kill, a treasure hunt, and an awesome young woman at the helm. Had I read this book when I was young, I would love it to pieces.

Alas, I'm older now, and I couldn't help but see flaws rather than the parts I loved. The style of this book is choppy and abrupt. There's some creative imagery, but there's also a treasure hunt scene with a distinct lack of tension, an issue w
Rhiannon
Feb 25, 2012 Rhiannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pirates, Steampunkers, historical fiction lovers, and mystery buffs
Piratica - a pirate tale, a slightly fantastical voyage, a mystery, another great adventure from author Tanith Lee. To say more than this would be revealing some of the plot twists and mystery, and would therefore be a total spoiler.

I should explain at the beginning of this review that I am a confirmed fan of the Tanith Lee and probably wouldn't have read this book if she was not the author. The book is less of a fantasy than some of her other books - there are no unicorns or goddesses - yet it
Nesa Sivagnanam
Jul 18, 2011 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artemisia Blastside (Art) had a mother who was a fearsome female pirate known as Piratica. Her mother is killed when a cannon explodes and Art is handed over to the custody of her father. She has lost all memory of her life with her mother in the blast.

Six years later ... Art is kicking her heels in the dreary Angels Academy for Young Ladies. Walking along one day with books balanced on her head, Art trips, falls down the stairs, hits her head and regains her memory. The experience while amazing
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4)
  • The Princetta
  • Pirates!
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • Prairie Fire (The Story of Owen, #2)
  • Girls to the Rescue: Just a Girl, #2
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Branded Ann
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, Vol. 3 (The Devil is a Part-Timer Manga, #3)
  • Lost Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #3)
  • 風のアルビオン (Zero No Tsukaima, #2)
  • Young Warriors: Stories of Strength
  • The Wreckers (High Seas Adventures, #1)
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...

Piratica (3 books)
  • Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island (Piratica, #2)
  • Piratica III: The Family Sea (Piratica, #3)

“The kind of teacher who never learned anything herself. Or taught anything, except sarcasm or fear.” 3 likes