Start by marking “Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas” as Want to Read:
Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas

Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  2,109 ratings  ·  114 reviews
An award-winning author introduces a swashbuckling pirate heroine in this gaudy, outrageous tale that sparkles with swordplay, skullduggery, and salty language--not to mention over-the-top comedy.
Published July 6th 2006 by Firebird (first published February 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Piratica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Piratica

travelmel
I picked up this book for two reasons: 1) I've been meaning to read something by Tannith Lee 2) I'm addicted to the Bloody Jack series and fear it's drawing to a close.

At first I was dismayed.. she's nothing like Jacky. No fun, no silliness, all seriousness. But it was probably a good thing, really, as the comaparisons in my mind stopped pretty early on.

I'm not much of a plot discusser so I'll say this: The begining was a bit slow but... maybe lots of books are and I should just quit being crit
Lady Knight
I have probably read this book at least a half dozen times and every time I start out by asking myself why I'm reading it; I hate the writing style. But everytime I get past the first few chapters and am so enthralled with the plot and the humour that I forget about it and enjoy the book to no end. Tanith Lee is a master at wit and humour (despite the writing style that can be grating at times). This book is highly enjoyable and I highly recommend it.

Art, at the age of sixteen, is emprisoned in
Tara Chevrestt
Just not for me. I thought it was YA and checked it from the library, but it's geared more towards ten year olds. The pirates are silly and hang out in a coffee house and drink coffee rather than rum. Kinda strange. But if I was ten, I would probably love it I'm not ten though and not in the mood for coffee drinking pirates. I didn't finish.
Lynette
Hack
this book was really cute. it started out a bit slow, but sped up fairly quickly. i thought the main character was a bit crazy at first, but she seemed to become more real as i read more. the only part i didn't like was the continuing references to a certain play. every action in the book was compared to this play, which after a while made me want to shake the next person to make the comparison. however, in the end, the references had a reason for being in the book. overall, it was a good read ( ...more
Heidi
The writing was not my cup of tea.
Georgie Penn
Jan 07, 2008 Georgie Penn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like to read Pirate stories.
I thought this was a really fun book. A lot of sword fighting, and treasure seeking. I really thought it was great that the main character would not kill anyone even though she was a pirate.

However at the end of the book, Art Blastside is about to be hanged when Felix, the guy she loves, jumps up on the gallows, and stops the hanging with a magnificent speech, and Art, or Piratica as she is called by all her many fans, is spared!
Felix uses the excuse that Piratica never hurt anyone, she may ha
Wendy
I found this slow going at first, though it really picked up in the second half, once the heroine encounters her nemesis and really sets off on her quest. If the whole book had been as good as the second half, I'd have easily given it four stars.

Something that bothered me a tad is the way the book tries to deal with the ethics of piracy. The book is very careful to make the heroine and her crew nice pirates - they never actually kill anyone, and somehow they only seem to rob unpleasant people w
Ashley
Occasionally I have an itch to read a book geared towards the younger crowd. I like the simple, short, and to the point plots that are made to hold the interest of middle schoolers. This book really fell flat. The story had so many plot holes, the characters, especially the MC were unbelievable and boring. I guess at some point the MC and love interest fell in love (maybe it was their second 5 word conversation "get below deck, your useless!", which was probably the most unbelievable part of the ...more
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 Taylor rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young women and little girls of all ages
Shelves: childrens, fiction
What is cooler than a non-violent,terribly cunning, utterly devious, sixteen-year-old Pirate Queen? And who in their right mind wouldn't want to read about her? This book rocks. If I were flying a flag, it would totally be a pink skull-and-crossbones (pink for a girl).
Janelle
This is the first of Tanith Lee's books I have read and it proved to be most enjoyable. She has a poetic style that may not be easily read by some young readers, but those who can adapt to her style will enjoy a novel with a memorable plot and characters.
Susan
Didn't make it very far with this book - liked the premise, but the writing felt very much like someone trying way too hard to please the professor in Creative Writing 101.
Vicktor Chief
A philosophical and spiritual enlightenment, a joy to read simple but deep meaning poetry.
Beautiful illustrations that draw you in at another level.
Lizzie
I totally loved this book! It's one of my favorites! It's one of those adventure/romance books! Just my kind of book!!!!!!!!!!!!
carrietracy
Sep 29, 2011 carrietracy marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this was too bad for me to continue. I returned it to the library with great relief.
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
Tried to read it through but ended up skimming it. Blurb completely fooled me.
Sam
This is a very good book, if you enjoy pirates, comedy, a tad bit of romance, 'Shakespur' quotations, and adventure I really recommend.
A young noble's daughter, Artimesa, lives in a prissy girl's boarding school until she falls down the steps and hits her head on an eagle banister. All of her memories from age 4 and before come rushing back, and she remembers that her mother was a pirate and that's why her father never talks about her.
She runs away, becomes a pirate, gets her mother's old crew
Rebekah
Hilarious! I love the idea of the Pirate Coffee ship!
Mary-Beth
I would really give this a 3.5 I think if it existed. The story is very entertaining. I have a lot of problems with finding any of it plausible, so I can't in all conscience say it was great, but it's a very good time.

Art wakes up after hitting her head thinking she's uncovered her true past: her mother was a pirate! Unfortunately, she is incorrect and her mother only played a pirate on the stage, but this doesn't stop Art from becoming an amazing pirate herself and from pulling along her mother
Althea Ann
I was really excited when this book came out. I fully expected to totally love it - Lee is one of my favorite authors, so.. Lee and pirates? How could it go wrong?
I'm not quite sure, but somehow it does.
Set in a 'slightly parallel world' in 1802 (which basically means that place names are spelled wrong: the river Thamis flows through Lundun, for example), 'Piratica' gives us a young woman named Artemisia, who, while studying deportment at her girls' school, falls and hits her head. After this bl
Kaila
so this is my second book about pirates and it was awesome!It had many twist and turns that i didn't know what to expect. i mean it almost look liked it wasn't going to be about pirates for one moment. the main character was at an all girls academy and she falls and bonks her head and she's like "WAIT, i am not girly lady, i am daughter of the most feared pirate Queen of England!' then from that point on she is trying to make her way back to the her mother's crew. it gets crazier from there and ...more
Anastasia (Here There Be Books)
-- Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books. --

Immediately upon reading the first page of Piratica I was sucked into it, and it kept my interest and enthusiasm right up until the end. I've never read a Tanith Lee book before this one, although her name did seem familiar to me, but if her other books are like this one I think I may have discovered one of my favorite YA authors.

That's not to say that Piratica doesn't have problems-- it's a little bit melodramatic and the plot takes suspension of
Alice
Why was this book not around when I was younger? This had everything my young self loved: adventure, romance, pirates who don't kill, a treasure hunt, and an awesome young woman at the helm. Had I read this book when I was young, I would love it to pieces.

Alas, I'm older now, and I couldn't help but see flaws rather than the parts I loved. The style of this book is choppy and abrupt. There's some creative imagery, but there's also a treasure hunt scene with a distinct lack of tension, an issue w
Rhiannon
Feb 25, 2012 Rhiannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pirates, Steampunkers, historical fiction lovers, and mystery buffs
Piratica - a pirate tale, a slightly fantastical voyage, a mystery, another great adventure from author Tanith Lee. To say more than this would be revealing some of the plot twists and mystery, and would therefore be a total spoiler.

I should explain at the beginning of this review that I am a confirmed fan of the Tanith Lee and probably wouldn't have read this book if she was not the author. The book is less of a fantasy than some of her other books - there are no unicorns or goddesses - yet it
Nesa Sivagnanam
Artemisia Blastside (Art) had a mother who was a fearsome female pirate known as Piratica. Her mother is killed when a cannon explodes and Art is handed over to the custody of her father. She has lost all memory of her life with her mother in the blast.

Six years later ... Art is kicking her heels in the dreary Angels Academy for Young Ladies. Walking along one day with books balanced on her head, Art trips, falls down the stairs, hits her head and regains her memory. The experience while amazing
Selena
Mar 18, 2012 Selena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pirate fans
Ahoy, Mateys!

This book started slow, but man, once it got started, did it get GOING! I'm glad I stuck with it.

The characters are amazing. I love Art, the fearless captain of the ship. She's definitely a pirate to look up to. I think she ties with Jack Sparrow as my favorite pirate. The crew, too, was a grand band of thieves. The enemy Goldie was a sly little fox, and though I hate to say it, man, do I love to hate her. The only disappointment was Felix. I don't know why, but I didn't particularl
Alison
I enjoyed this book because it was action packed! I would recommend it to someone else because it is an amazingly awesome book! I wanted to keep reading it to finish it because, for example, if I had to stop reading to go to bed, I would be anxious to get up the next day to finish it!The emotions that this book crated for me were shock, and happiness because it just left me speechless. It also left me stunned by the plot.

The main character in this book is Artemesia ("Art) Fitz-Willoughby Weather
Tina
Margaret
Piratica is a swashbuckling romp, set in what Lee calls a "closely parallel world", in what would be 1802 in our world. Sixteen-year-old Art (short for Artemesia) hits her head one day at her boarding school and suddenly remembers what she's forgotten for six years: her childhood at sea with her mother, the famous buccaneer Piratica. Although Art knows that her mother is dead, she sets off to find her crew and go off to board, where she encounters the nefarious Goldie Girl and her pirate crew as ...more
Shannon
Such a good pirate book! Good to read if you're feeling like reading about a kick butt heroine! This book is filled with adventure, funny moments, and romance. I've read this twice now because it's just one of those fun, action-filled books!
  • My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War (Bloody Jack, #6)
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • Pirate Curse (The Wave Walkers, #1)
  • The Princetta
  • Pirates!
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • Young Warriors: Stories of Strength
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 07 (Barajou no Kiss, #7)
  • A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors,  #3)
  • Zero no Tsukaima 1
  • Lost Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #3)
  • Spice & Wolf, Book 4
  • His Broken Angel (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1.5)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 05
Tanith Lee is a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She is the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She has also written four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a
More about Tanith Lee...

Piratica (3 books)
  • Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island (Piratica, #2)
  • Piratica III: The Family Sea (Piratica, #3)
Wolf Tower (Claidi Journals, #1) Wolf Star (Claidi Journals #2) Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3) Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1) White as Snow

“The kind of teacher who never learned anything herself. Or taught anything, except sarcasm or fear.” 2 likes