Start by marking “Die Seepriesterin” as Want to Read:
Die Seepriesterin

Die Seepriesterin

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  548 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Die Seepriesterin gehört zu den klassischen spirituellen Werken der Literatur des 20. Jahrhunderts und gilt als einer der schönsten Romane, der je über Magie geschrieben wurde.
Published 1989 by Smaragd Verlag (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Die Seepriesterin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Seepriesterin

ryn
Aug 16, 2011 ryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
the old ways were passed on in stories such as these. a woman, a man, a temple, the sea, the moon: nothing more is needed, but more can always be said, and the added details are specific to an age and its people, and make the deeper truths the more real--the more useful, the more applicable to their own lives--for them. evoking a series of vivid images that bring to life the workings of a particular sort of magic, this book accomplishes for the reader what its characters, in its pages, set out t ...more
Judy Croome
Nov 02, 2011 Judy Croome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally written (and self-published) in 1938, this novel is filled with wonder and wisdom. Wilfred Maxwell as a character is a superb representation of human nature at its most paradoxical. From his on-going battle with his narrow minded, domineering sister, to his passion for the mysterious Vivien Le Fay Morgan and his tenderness for the young Molly, Wilfred’s spiritual growth is as fascinating as his sly wit is hilarious.

The style of the novel is a free-flowing and deep as the sea itself.
Jane
I had to read this for a Seminar "The Occult in modern literature" and therefor it was interesting, no doubt, but in the reading it wasn't much fun. So, if you are interested in the Tradition of Western Occultism this is an interesting lecture, but if you are searching for a good novel - choose something else.
Diamond
See the full review here-- http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.co...

Review: I loved this book. After thinking of my feelings of this beautiful novel I kept having trouble in a way I hadn't before. This novel causes a lot of introspection and it's very spiritual and New Age. I had to continually remind myself it was written in the 1930s. So if I were to write a review about how this book made me feel and what it did to me-- I'd be revealing the most intimate aspects of my soul. And well, I love yo
Inara
Feb 27, 2014 Inara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people with occult interests
Although this book is a "classic" in spiritual novels and I was spellbound by the description of moon magic, mythology, rituals and the great occult wisdom by Dion Fortune I found it sometimes.. long-winded. But if you have made it through the boring description of Wilfrids life and the mysterious Vivien arrives it gets better and more interesting. The writing style of the author and the way of thinking and the behaviour of the characters appear often antiquated to me (it was written around 1930 ...more
Dee
Apr 09, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, the book is about Morgan, but it's really about Wilfred, our narrarator, who starts off the book as a self-described "mother's boy", directionless and hating his life. Morgan turns his life around completely. The book features some gorgeous poetry and ritual centered around the Great Goddess Isis. I had to keep reminding myself this book was written in the 1930's because so much of it has influenced contemporary writing on Magick, Witchcraft, and the Occult!
Jun 01, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haunting. I am new to Dion Fortune. Her books were recommended to me by a tarot reader on a forum. I am also a tarot reader & I can't believe that it's only now that I have discovered her. So interesting to hear her language from the time. Very quaint. But also interesting to see how she inserts magical instruction in the framework of a story.
Mckinley
Jan 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spititual, heroine, novel, sea
Fun read for a lark. I like this sort of stuff.
This book spells out some of Fortune's thinking and beliefs. Fortune reported visions of Atlantis at a very early age and later developed psychic abilities. Drawn to the occult, she joined the Theosophical Society. Sea Priestess and another book Moon Magic, became influential within Wicca.
Carolina Montague
May 01, 2013 Carolina Montague rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolina by: Deborah Bennett
Estate agent Wilfred Maxwell, stricken with asthma, assists mysterious Le Fay Morgan by transforming an old fort by the sea into a villa for her to inhabit. As he bumbles through this task, he is assaulted with memories of being drowned in a sea cave underneath the fort and agrees to revive occult the practices of Atlantis with her.
Stefanie Hasselbacher
Jun 19, 2016 Stefanie Hasselbacher rated it it was amazing
Ein wunderschönes Buch!

Zugegebenermaßen liest die Handlung sich nicht 100%-ig flüssig, es gibt einige Längen in der Erzählung und so manches Mal habe ich mich gefragt, wo das denn bitte hinführen soll. Aber als Ganzes betrachtet, ist die Geschichte des langsam älter werdenden Muttersöhnchens Wilfried, der durch die Begegnung und Freundschaft zu einer mysteriösen Frau, die sich selbst als Priesterin der Isis (und teilweise als ihre Verkörperung) sieht, neue Persepektiven im Leben sieht, absolut
Gabriel Clarke
Mar 12, 2016 Gabriel Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is a strange, strange artefact. Three quarters a really rather good (if ossified in the prejudices of its time) novel, though the last seventy pages utterly disintegrate (Four words - manic pixie dream girl). But more importantly , it's very nearly that unicorn of literature, a good, seriously intended and deeply felt novel of the esoteric and the occult. It's no Glastonbury Romance (the Himalayas of an admittedly small genre) but it's worth the time of anyone interested in either depth psy ...more
Althea Ann
This 1938 'novel of the occult' by the well-known psychic Dion Fortune (born Violet Firth), was initially self-published, which, I have to admit, gave me some serious doubts about its quality - but after reading it, I would have to say that her difficulty in finding a publisher was probably indeed due to its subject matter, not her ability as a literary stylist (the book has stayed in print, posthumously, until the present day.)
This however, is not to say that a modern reader will find any of th
Bart Everson
I’ve long had an interest, however weak, in esoteric matters. Since the birth of my daughter I’ve been particularly interested in goddess worship, or more specifically the modern revival of ancient goddess religion. That interest led me to this novel by Dion Fortune.

This is the tale of a bored British real estate broker who gets involved with a seemingly ageless woman who may just happen to be the reincarnation of a priestess from ancient Atlantis. They get up to some pretty occult stuff togethe
Sean McCloskey
Mar 08, 2016 Sean McCloskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Sea Priestess' by Violet Mary Firth aka Dion Fortune - what more can you say? A woman who almost single-handed brought back the 'Goddess Aspect' & the 'Divine Feminine' to the modern world. Her depth of knowledge of the esoteric is near second-to-none and it shows throughout this wonderful piece of coded fiction. A thousand new-age gurus could only hope to get close to this. Fully recommended ;-)
Celeste
Jul 22, 2015 Celeste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, 1900s, england
Before reading The Sea Priestess forget all your notions of how a traditional novel should read, and you will enjoy it immensely. It starts slowly, but unfolds like a visceral and psychedelic poem, and in the end is well worth the effort.

Without question the novel is very wordy, and an editor would have had much to work with. However, I admire Fortune for publishing the book privately, and staying true to her artistic vision.
Sheena Cundy
Dec 29, 2015 Sheena Cundy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The style of writing takes some getting used to, but it's a real gem from one of the great occult writers of her time. Well worth reading...and remembering!
Jess
Jan 20, 2016 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was truly beautiful. I'm glad I let this one marinate on my shelf for as long as I did, because I think most of it would have gone over my head in high school. And now...I must find more high quality occult fiction.
Tania
Jan 28, 2016 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were parts I like and parts that bored me a bit, things I wished were actually possible to do and experience. Kudos for the late Dion Fortune though. Have not read any of her others. When I do, I have a feeling this one won't be my favourite one.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 16, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
An interesting story. The first in two books that are linked. Although I feel that Moon Magic was the superior book, this book was good in its own right. Occult truths given out and placed into a fictional setting.
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
Katharine Kerr
Dec 17, 2013 Katharine Kerr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical-studies
All of Fortune's novels fall into the category of the "Literature of Ideas", and in her case, the ideas concern the practice and rituals of Magick. They are not meant to be entertainments, though at moments they can entertain, or "fun fast reads".

When the character of Vivian Le Fay Morgan appears, the book takes wings and flies. When she leaves, it's back to earth for a tidy wrap-up. Still, this novel and its sequel, MOON MAGIC, show Fortune's ideas at their most mature. They make the pair well
Maria
Oct 03, 2015 Maria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely terrible.
Sheri-D  Wilson
Dec 04, 2014 Sheri-D Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hermetics
A Favorite.
Sofia Nitchie
This book has some interesting parts to it. I think it reflects on the time period it was written in, which if I'm not mistaken is the 40s, when witchcraft was banned. The author slid it in carefully as an undertext, although some of the ideas were still put in such esoteric terms that I didn't totally get what she was talking to. But incredibly feminist and encouraging women to take initiative in the bedroom in a stuffy age. why not
adri patamoma
o que mais impressiona neste livro é o fato dele ter sido escrito na década de 30 e já trazer em si conceitos tão presentes em textos esotéricos mais 'moderninhos'. nada se cria, tudo se transforma... dione conseguiu escrever um romance esotérico bacana pra época dela, mas a tradução que li não ajudou muito, e o tema tb não me é tão querido a ponto de me fazer realmente apreciar a história.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 16, 2014 Aaron Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
Jun 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 2nd read of the book and I liked it better - the imagery is wonderful. It is almost hard to place the book in the early 20th century, as in some ways it seems quite modern. I guess New Age is not as "new" as is normally supposed.
Faye Dewell
Mar 30, 2012 Faye Dewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, pagan
This was an unexpected book for me. I was a bit skeptical when I started it but in the end am really glad that I picked it up. There are some amazing insights into Wicca in this book and it triggered some interesting introspection on my part.
Gwyndyllyn
Aug 23, 2007 Gwyndyllyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult-fiction
I enjoyed this book. There is wisdom in it. It is not as pleasing to read as some other fiction, but has a lot more depth than most.
Christina
Aug 28, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystical writer from the 1920s, Fortune will draw you in. Excellent story of earth-based spirituality.
Liz
Jul 19, 2009 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Terrible writing style. On top of which this is a fairly boring book.
  • An ABC of Witchcraft: Past and Present
  • The Meaning of Witchcraft
  • Mastering Witchcraft: A Practical Guide for Witches, Warlocks & Covens
  • Lammas Night
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic
  • Magick Without Tears
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
  • Hekate Liminal Rites - A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the Torch-Bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads
  • Walkers Between the Worlds: The Western Mysteries from Shaman to Magus
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern
More about Dion Fortune...