Start by marking “Die Seepriesterin” as Want to Read:
Die Seepriesterin

Die Seepriesterin

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Die Seepriesterin gehört zu den klassischen spirituellen Werken der Literatur des 20. Jahrhunderts und gilt als einer der schönsten Romane, der je über Magie geschrieben wurde.
Published 1989 by Smaragd Verlag (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Die Seepriesterin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Seepriesterin

ryn
the old ways were passed on in stories such as these. a woman, a man, a temple, the sea, the moon: nothing more is needed, but more can always be said, and the added details are specific to an age and its people, and make the deeper truths the more real--the more useful, the more applicable to their own lives--for them. evoking a series of vivid images that bring to life the workings of a particular sort of magic, this book accomplishes for the reader what its characters, in its pages, set out t...more
Judy Croome
Originally written (and self-published) in 1938, this novel is filled with wonder and wisdom. Wilfred Maxwell as a character is a superb representation of human nature at its most paradoxical. From his on-going battle with his narrow minded, domineering sister, to his passion for the mysterious Vivien Le Fay Morgan and his tenderness for the young Molly, Wilfred’s spiritual growth is as fascinating as his sly wit is hilarious.

The style of the novel is a free-flowing and deep as the sea itself....more
Diamond
See the full review here-- http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.co...

Review: I loved this book. After thinking of my feelings of this beautiful novel I kept having trouble in a way I hadn't before. This novel causes a lot of introspection and it's very spiritual and New Age. I had to continually remind myself it was written in the 1930s. So if I were to write a review about how this book made me feel and what it did to me-- I'd be revealing the most intimate aspects of my soul. And well, I love yo...more
Inara
Feb 27, 2014 Inara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with occult interests
Although this book is a "classic" in spiritual novels and I was spellbound by the description of moon magic, mythology, rituals and the great occult wisdom by Dion Fortune I found it sometimes.. long-winded. But if you have made it through the boring description of Wilfrid´s life and the mysterious Vivien arrives it gets better and more interesting. The writing style of the author and the way of thinking and the behaviour of the characters appear often antiquated to me (it was written around 193...more
Dee
Yes, the book is about Morgan, but it's really about Wilfred, our narrarator, who starts off the book as a self-described "mother's boy", directionless and hating his life. Morgan turns his life around completely. The book features some gorgeous poetry and ritual centered around the Great Goddess Isis. I had to keep reminding myself this book was written in the 1930's because so much of it has influenced contemporary writing on Magick, Witchcraft, and the Occult!
Mckinley
Fun read for a lark. I like this sort of stuff.
This book spells out some of Fortune's thinking and beliefs. Fortune reported visions of Atlantis at a very early age and later developed psychic abilities. Drawn to the occult, she joined the Theosophical Society. Sea Priestess and another book Moon Magic, became influential within Wicca.
Carolina Montague
May 01, 2013 Carolina Montague rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolina by: Deborah Bennett
Estate agent Wilfred Maxwell, stricken with asthma, assists mysterious Le Fay Morgan by transforming an old fort by the sea into a villa for her to inhabit. As he bumbles through this task, he is assaulted with memories of being drowned in a sea cave underneath the fort and agrees to revive occult the practices of Atlantis with her.
Jane
I had to read this for a Seminar "The Occult in modern literature" and therefor it was interesting, no doubt, but in the reading it wasn't much fun. So, if you are interested in the Tradition of Western Occultism this is an interesting lecture, but if you are searching for a good novel - choose something else.
Althea Ann
This 1938 'novel of the occult' by the well-known psychic Dion Fortune (born Violet Firth), was initially self-published, which, I have to admit, gave me some serious doubts about its quality - but after reading it, I would have to say that her difficulty in finding a publisher was probably indeed due to its subject matter, not her ability as a literary stylist (the book has stayed in print, posthumously, until the present day.)
This however, is not to say that a modern reader will find any of th...more
Bart Everson
I’ve long had an interest, however weak, in esoteric matters. Since the birth of my daughter I’ve been particularly interested in goddess worship, or more specifically the modern revival of ancient goddess religion. That interest led me to this novel by Dion Fortune.

This is the tale of a bored British real estate broker who gets involved with a seemingly ageless woman who may just happen to be the reincarnation of a priestess from ancient Atlantis. They get up to some pretty occult stuff togethe...more
Aaron Meyer
An interesting story. The first in two books that are linked. Although I feel that Moon Magic was the superior book, this book was good in its own right. Occult truths given out and placed into a fictional setting.
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
Katharine Kerr
All of Fortune's novels fall into the category of the "Literature of Ideas", and in her case, the ideas concern the practice and rituals of Magick. They are not meant to be entertainments, though at moments they can entertain, or "fun fast reads".

When the character of Vivian Le Fay Morgan appears, the book takes wings and flies. When she leaves, it's back to earth for a tidy wrap-up. Still, this novel and its sequel, MOON MAGIC, show Fortune's ideas at their most mature. They make the pair well...more
Sofia Nitchie
This book has some interesting parts to it. I think it reflects on the time period it was written in, which if I'm not mistaken is the 40s, when witchcraft was banned. The author slid it in carefully as an undertext, although some of the ideas were still put in such esoteric terms that I didn't totally get what she was talking to. But incredibly feminist and encouraging women to take initiative in the bedroom in a stuffy age. why not
adri patamoma
o que mais impressiona neste livro é o fato dele ter sido escrito na década de 30 e já trazer em si conceitos tão presentes em textos esotéricos mais 'moderninhos'. nada se cria, tudo se transforma... dione conseguiu escrever um romance esotérico bacana pra época dela, mas a tradução que li não ajudou muito, e o tema tb não me é tão querido a ponto de me fazer realmente apreciar a história.
Aaron Meyer
This is something that Dion Fortune excelled at.
This is my 2nd read of the book and I liked it better - the imagery is wonderful. It is almost hard to place the book in the early 20th century, as in some ways it seems quite modern. I guess New Age is not as "new" as is normally supposed.
Faye Dewell
This was an unexpected book for me. I was a bit skeptical when I started it but in the end am really glad that I picked it up. There are some amazing insights into Wicca in this book and it triggered some interesting introspection on my part.
Gwyndyllyn
I enjoyed this book. There is wisdom in it. It is not as pleasing to read as some other fiction, but has a lot more depth than most.
Christina
Mystical writer from the 1920s, Fortune will draw you in. Excellent story of earth-based spirituality.
Liz
Terrible writing style. On top of which this is a fairly boring book.
Lisa
Slow paced in parts, but wonderfully and magically written.
Maryrod58
A bit difficult to get into, but well worth persisting.
Brendan
Lovely Book. Gives an interesting insight into her work.
Kathy Peveler
If you want to know how magic works, read this book.
Amy
oh my wow. what a good book!
Caleb Smith
Caleb Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Raquel Scianna
Raquel Scianna marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • The Witches' Goddess
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Magick Without Tears
  • The Moon Under Her Feet
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Kissing The Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • The Witch in Every Woman: Reawakening the Magical Nature of the Feminine to Heal, Protect, Create, and Empower
  • Lammas Night
  • The Triumph of the Moon: A History of Modern Pagan Witchcraft
  • Gothic Grimoire
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
Violet Mary Firth Evans (better known as Dion Fortune), was a British occultist and author. Her pseudonym was inspired by her family motto "Deo, non fortuna" (Latin for "by God, not fate").

From 1919 she began writing a number of novels and short stories that explored various aspects of magic and mysticism, including The Demon Lover, The Winged Bull, The Goat-Foot God, and The Secrets of Dr. Tavern...more
More about Dion Fortune...
The Mystical Qabalah Psychic Self-Defense Moon Magic The Secrets of Dr. Taverner The Goat-Foot God