Start by marking “William and the Night Train” as Want to Read:
William and the Night Train

William and the Night Train

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
All aboard!

Tonight everyone's riding the night train -- mothers and fathers, teachers and jugglers -- they're all sleepyheads, ready for bed, ready to ride the train to Tomorrow. Everyone, that is, except wide-awake William, who is too excited to sleep. William can't resist exploring the train from end to end, discovering its secrets, until his mother convinces him that th
Published March 21st 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published November 16th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about William and the Night Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William and the Night Train

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsThe Little Red Caboose by Marian PotterTrains by Byron Barton
Picture Books about Trains
76th out of 109 books — 44 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonNight by Elie WieselAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Night and Day
321st out of 354 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
A whimsical bedtime story of a night train. Love Alison Jay's illustrations--her style is one of my favorites. The pictures extend the textual narrative and fill in gaps--giving reader more information than what is on the written page.
Ebookwormy
SOMEONE WRITE A GOOD TRAIN BOOK! My son liked this and requested it repeated times, but I thought it was BORING. How many times do we have to have the SAME IDEA in kid's train books. NOTE TO CHILDREN'S AUTHOR'S: the imagined train ride and the train ride to dreamland have both been done. Please, save us from the monotony and come up with something else!
Tricia
While the illustrations were dream-like in their perspective and scale--and the story had moments of sweetness---as an example, "When she cuddles him close, he can hear her heart and a soft, sudden whoosh as the night train starts.", I was overall underwhelmed.
Rheta Thola
It is a fun take on combining a "train book" with a "bedtime book". The only thing that seemed to not really resonate were the illustrations. Not very interesting for a toddler even though she loves trains.
8feetahead
I picked this one up for my train-loving son. While, I loved the whimsical illustrations and writing style, he quickly grew bored with it. Perhaps we've just read too many 'train to dreamland' type books.
Jessica
An immediate favorite and practically impossible to find a good copy used (for less than $50!)
Feb 18, 2009 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Both kids really enjoyed this book!
Kiddo
Whimsical fun!
Karie
Karie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

What could be more beautiful than the laughter of children? That's why I write. You can find out more about me and my books, and read essays for children - and adults - on imagination and the craft of writing at my website.

For notifications, give-aways and competitions, like "Mij Kelly's children's books" on Facebook.

Look out for The Bump, which will be published on 6th October. I wrote it when my

More about Mij Kelly...
One More Sheep Have You Seen My Potty? Achoo: Good Manners Can Be Contagious Where Giants Hide Friendly Day