Start by marking “A Deadly Indifference” as Want to Read:
A Deadly Indifference

A Deadly Indifference (Henry Spearman #3)

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Harvard Professor Henry Spearman - an ingenious amateur sleuth who uses economics to size up every situation - is sent by an American entrepreneur to Cambridge, England. His mission is to scout out for purchase the most famous house in economic science: Balliol Croft, the former dwelling place of Professor Alfred Marshall.
Published August 16th 1998 by Princeton University Press (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Deadly Indifference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deadly Indifference

J
Jun 21, 2011 J rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Really just a 3 1/2 ...

I appreciate the attempt to modernize this series with a relatively new edition (published in 1995). It had none of the outdated terms & prices that felt awkward in the other books. It was also markedly improved in terms of the writing ability displayed.

As a personal aside, I loved reading about Cambridge and punting on the Cam. It brought back good memories. Sigh.

Unfortunately, the book lacked the unabashed application of economic theories that made the earlier books
Fulya İçöz
Jan 12, 2014 Fulya İçöz rated it it was ok
Okay, here's a strange combination: economics & mystery. I wonder how these two could come together but in this book they coexist. In my opinion, if I had any idea about economics, this book would be more interesting and appealing to me. I don't understand numbers, figures, fractions anything about statistics or consumer theories so, it was sometimes hard for me to follow the book. I read it purely for the mystery element yet it was directly related to economy and I failed there, too. What I ...more
Beth Anne
Jun 23, 2014 Beth Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Just ok - the middle was the strongest. I enjoyed most of the economics parts, but at times they seemed a little unnatural in the dialogue. Sounds like the first two books were better based on other reviews. I look forward to finding them.
Brian Williams
Oct 12, 2014 Brian Williams rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book -- great entertainment. Maybe not the best literature -- a tad heavy handed in relating economic theory to everyday life. It is akin to Agatha Christie doing introductory economics in a murder mystery!
Steve Gross
Feb 14, 2015 Steve Gross rated it liked it
A decent mystery, heavily centered on economics.
Brenton
Nov 13, 2009 Brenton rated it liked it
Much better than the previous book in the series (The Fatal Equilibrium), this book has a mixture of horrible corniness with some good suspense and tension. One problem is that the focus can jump around a bit erratically. It's odd, but doesn't really detract from the reading experience.
Jessica
Jun 01, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
The appearance of Jeremy Bentham's auto-icon had me reminiscing about my UCL days. Enjoyable but predictable.
John Avery
Sep 21, 2011 John Avery rated it it was amazing
Right wing economist uses microeconomic principles to solve a murder mystery. What's not to like here?
Potjy
Jul 15, 2011 Potjy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
More likes 3 1/2, but I have a soft spot for old English town.
Kevin Likes
Kevin Likes marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jane Kauder
Jane Kauder marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Jean
Jean added it
May 19, 2016
Roger Bryant
Roger Bryant marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Dan Labson
Dan Labson rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Danying Wang
Danying Wang marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Joanne
Joanne added it
Sep 21, 2015
Antoaneta Nacheva
Antoaneta Nacheva marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Dawson
Dawson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Umut Hacat
Umut Hacat marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Susan Beall
Susan Beall rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Mwhite
Mwhite rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014