Start by marking “Rain Play” as Want to Read:
Rain Play

Rain Play

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Here it comes! Cool drops splash down, scattering the grown-ups. But the children love romping in the rain, until—BOOM!

This joyous, rhyming poem captures the many delights of a rainy day.
Published April 1st 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Rain Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain Play

Hush! A Thai Lullaby by Minfong HoGuji Guji by Chih-Yuan ChenOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaShades of Black by Sandra L. PinkneyI Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley
Chromatic Children's Literature
85th out of 153 books — 28 voters
Zen Shorts by Jon J. MuthExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettOver and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerThe Wall by Peter SísEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. Sterling
Best Artwork in Children's Books
52nd out of 95 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Asho
Jul 20, 2012 Asho rated it really liked it
This was another book from our "rain" bundle from the library. We've had some good ones in this particular bundle, and this is one of them.
The words are nothing much, just a simple rhyming poem about playing in the rain and then heading safely home when the thunder begins. However, the collage-style illustrations give a texture to each page that makes me want to look just a little bit longer. I really like the racial diversity in the illustrations, too. I think one of the reasons this book is ap
Betsy
Mar 08, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it
I was working the reference desk of the library one day when a boy that couldn’t have been more than seven-years-old came up to me. He had that deadly serious look to his face that kids sometimes get when they want to impress upon you the importance of their request. Very politely he asked me for every single Javaka Steptoe book we had in the collection. I have to admit that I was a little surprised. We pretty much have all the man’s books, but when a kid requests an author or artist by name it ...more
Real Supergirl
Aug 25, 2014 Real Supergirl rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. The art is beautiful, and I love the fact that it's a book about brown-skinned children that isn't "about race" - it's just about playing at the park when it starts to rain.
Catherine Page
Oct 01, 2008 Catherine Page rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Strikingly illustrated in cut paper collage and paint by Javinka Steptoe, this title shows a diverse set of young people playing, cavorting, and delighting in a rainstorm that strikes their park.

With two to four rhyming lines per page this is a great Story-time read (especially for themes like Play, Weather, Rain, and Fall or Spring).

There is an understated reassuring theme in the book: when the thunder and lightening begin, Dad is there to pick the kids up, and Mom greets them at home with towe
Haley
Jan 20, 2015 Haley rated it it was amazing
Very good use of rhyming.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
The wrinkly paper used in the collages works well to convey the rainy and wet scenes -- but if you look at the very last image when the sun is out an supposedly everyone is snug and dry... he sense of wetness pervades due to the texture of the medium. I do like the rhythm of the text but fail to see the brilliance of the art that some others apparently saw.
Jeff
Apr 20, 2009 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautiful book about kids playing at the park as it starts to rain. The message of enjoying the rain is wonderful with fun language that mimics the sounds of the rain. But the real power of this book is in its cutpaper collage and painted illustrations. A visual feast!
Maria
Apr 26, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
I love the illustrations. According to the title page verso, the artist used paint and cut-paper collage. I think it's good to expose children to different art techniques. The text read like a poem, but I wasn't very impressed by it. I found it a bit flat.
Nicole
May 01, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book, weather
The art work is really what sells this book (and nice to have such a quality book feature ethnic children)...very nice work by artist Javaka Steptoe. The text is filled with rhymes, so a great way to introduce that concept to kids...
Kelly
Jul 10, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I really like the text and the illustrations. However, the illustrations and the text do not flow together. I would have loved to use this book with preschoolers but the illustrations are of older children and teens.
Samantha
Mar 29, 2011 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It's a very easy book with rhyming pages. It doesn't have a lot of plot or thought put into it. Kids may enjoy it during a story time or if the person reading it is very enthusiastic and creates the sounds.
April Scheivelhud
This is a lovely picture book about children playing during a rainstorm. This is a wonderful example of how illustration can really make a children's book come alive. I could read this again and again.
Kari
Feb 11, 2009 Kari rated it liked it
Nice read aloud, with interesting collage illustrations.
Kelley Mcalhany
interesting pictures, and good play with words.
Michelle
Apr 18, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Great Illustrations!
Karyn
May 04, 2012 Karyn rated it it was amazing
Great for rhymes!
Kristin Madden
Kristin Madden rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Ana Allen
Ana Allen rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Courtney Weeks
Courtney Weeks rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Jen Slabaugh
Jen Slabaugh rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
A
A rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Sarah Ashburn
Sarah Ashburn rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Sarah Ashburn
Sarah Ashburn rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Mary Luzader
Mary Luzader marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Kristy Lange
Kristy Lange rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Therese Wiese
Therese Wiese rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Michelle Howland
Michelle Howland marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015