Start by marking “The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody” as Want to Read:
The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody

The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Cats have nine lives. Shouldn’t they be lived to the fullest?

“Domesticated” does not mean “docile.” The ho-hum routine of sleep, eat, eat, and sleep is no way for any creature who ruled Egypt for a millennium to spend her day. It’s high time felines everywhere woke up from their cat naps and grabbed life’s strings with both paws.

The Devious Book for Cats offers today’s dis
Published October 28th 2008 by Villard (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Devious Book for Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devious Book for Cats

Traveller
This book gave me paws.
Susan
I received this little gem as a Christmas present from my sister, and while I don't generally read much humor/parody, I knew I was going to love this book! With chapters such as "Reasons You Meant to Do That," "Kitty Litter Explained," "For Black Cats - Making the Most of Superstition," and ""Getting Away With It," The Devious Book for Cats is the perfect book for any cat lover (and her cats, of course!)

The authors have expertly captures most of the cat-isms and behaviors we all know and love,
Oh my gosh, this book is hilarious!!
And the illustrations are priceless.

Cat owners will enjoy, written by "Fluffy and Bonkers", i.e. some co-editors of The Onion. Some examples of chapter titles are, 'Toying with Allergy Sufferers', 'Catfight! Five Moves you Should Know', 'Outsmarting Your Toys' and 'The Pros and Cons of Being Sullen'.
Alissa Bach
In the process of reading this, I gave it five stars. I'm going to have to up that rating to 10 STARS. As a person to two cats ('cause you know you don't own cats, they own you), I can definitely relate to much of what's in this book. Also, it helped me to better understand the furry felines who have conscented to share living quarters with me. At last, at long last I know the truth about the vacuum... And why that closet door that is kept shut is such an obsession... And countless other things ...more
Selena
Jan 05, 2015 Selena rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat lovers
A secret look into the cat lifestyle.

This book is all about how to live your nine lives to their fullest, whether it be about how to pick the purrfect gift for your human or how to annihilate the furniture despite being declawed. There's even a (short) chapter on dogs.

There's also some learning opportunities slipped in, such as a version of the legend of the Maneki Neko and information on how cats eat.

If you like cats, this book is laugh out loud funny. I highly recommend it.
Cissa
This is hysterical, and the authors really get cats. The funny is not a surprise; the authors write for "The Onion". However, it was a delight to read something that really did sound true to life for the ways cats think. I strongly recommend this for cat- and book-lovers!
Julia
Rating: 3.5

Ha! This book was very entertaining, and very funny. Now I know why my cat runs into walls, knocks things off my shelves, and tries to rip apart the furniture on occasion.

The Devious Book for Cats is a parody written for cats by “cats.” It’s essentially a guide for cats explaining what fun games to play, proper cat edicate, the history of cats, etc. It is a guide complete with tips and some (very funny) pictures.

This book would be a great book to give as a gift for somebody, or if yo
Redfox5
I think my cat has been reading this book, he certainly acts the way it tells cats to act in here. And I bet he found some comfort in the fact that he is not the only cat scared of the hoover. This book made me laugh out loud. With quotes such as "Shopping Bag:What's in that bag? Are you in that bag? If not, get in there!" and the chapter on dogs which is one line "Some people seem to like dogs. Your guess is as good as ours." This is a must read for any cat lovers :)
Sarai
I enjoyed some parts of this book more than others. The chapter on how to pick proper boxes was funny, and I enjoyed the part on catnip. Some of the other chapters, though, were just humdrum. Luckily, I think this is a book you could pick and choose your way through, and the chapters are short enough that you won't feel like you've wasted your time anywhere.
Leah
Penned by Fluffy and Bonkers, this book is a soliloquy of the life of a cat. Cat lovers will appreciate all the inside facts and hilarity, replete with diagrams and how-to illustrations. I was laughing my head off. The chapter on dogs is one line long. SImple as that. If you like cats, read this book. Now.
Starla B
This was a short, funny book. I was very amused. Even though it was a short book, it was still longer than I expected. I especially loved the chapter on Dogs, and the chapter on litter boxes really made me laugh since my mother's cat is currently going through one of the phases.
Michelle
This book gave me many nights of giggles. Every time I read a new page I was compelled to seek out my own two cats to see what they were up to and to compare their behaviour. Very cute and easy read for anyone who is a cat lover and who loves their cat's quirky personality traits.
Laurie
I spied this on a shelf in Goodwill and could not walk out without it. It is absolutely hysterical. So well written for a parody - of course, felines do know felines *wink*. I'm pretty sure my cats have sneaked a peek or two. (In fact I'm not sure they didn't write this under pen names.) Chapters include "Cardboard Boxes," "An Illustrated Guide To Napping," "Catnip," "Reasons You Meant To Do That," and "The Vacuum Cleaner - A Vortex Of Terror." You'll pick up this book even if you're a Dog Perso ...more
Kris
Entertaining and funny. Nothing too surprising if you've ever shared your home with a cat.
Tammy

A funny book of advice for cats from cats. But seriously, it's a parady of the popular Dangerous Book for Boys and Daring Book for Girls that tells the kids how to do stuff that used to be common knowledge for most people. Everything from building a fire safely in the woods to how to play marbles to the importance of writing a letter (yes, with pen and paper) for certain situations. The books also feature lesser known but important men and women from history that the authors felt could be good r
Michele
I received this book as a gift and kept it by my bedside for sleepless nights. Boasting several staff writers from The Onion, it's a little bit snarky, a little bit sweet. Cat lovers will recognize their beasts in these pages. It's definitely a book for cat lovers; others won't find it as charming, I suspect.
Pamela Conley
A funny parody of "The Dangerous Book for Boys" and "The Daring Book for Girls" by the authors of The Onion and writers of The Daily Show. It gives gives you quite the chuckle. I read this with my 7 year old high level reader son and he though it was belly laugh funny. I didn't get quite the fall on the floor/can't catch your breath peals of laughter out of the chapters on such subjects at litter box issues and how to win against your toys that he did but it is good for a giggle. My son would gi ...more
Nannette
An exceptionally funny book alledgedly written by two cats. Unfortunately I found it very hard at times to relate those two a**holes to the sweet calico moggy resting on my lap during the whole time I read this book. Devious they are indeed! I had to deduct one star because the version I bought didn't have the illustrations in it. Still, I strongly recommend this book to all cat lovers looking for a good laugh.
Cal
Interesting.... Coffee Table book.. It's not particularly engrossing, but does describe certain cat behaviors to a T. I can relate to many of the things written in here. My favorite sections were on how to wake their person up, the 'window tv' and the one about finicky eating. ...The one about the vacuum was funny too... I liked those kinds of entries much better than "cats in history" which were so ludicrous that there wasn't much point in reading them.... It would have been better if they were ...more
Bladestryke
They let the cat out of the bag with this one! As a lowly kitty slave it was a treat to see inside my furry masters minds. Funny and smart now maybe I can at least try to get the upper paw with these guys!
Sheila Beaumont
The most hilarious book about cats I've ever read!
Kieran
This book was hilarious! I highly recommend this book to any cat lover.
April
We did not sit down and read this book through from cover to cover. We flipped and picked. There were some that were quite funny, some laugh out loud, and some not so much...but certainly for any cat owner...giggles will happen! And...it's good to know what's going through their devious, furry little heads! ..and if you choose not to read it, so be it...but...watch out when you sit in that chair! :)
April
I've read this book what feels like a thousand times since receiving it a few years ago, and it never fails to make me laugh aloud, usually at something new I discovered. I find the few cat humor books I've read passable at best (which is why I avoid most of them), but this book reaches heights that can only be described as sublime. Anyone with a cat should read this book, you'll thank me.
Cheryln Kurz
Jul 13, 2012 Cheryln Kurz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any cat parent
Shelves: favorites
This is the funniest book I've ever read! I laughed out loud and wiped away tears of hysterical giggling. This book was truly written by a cat...or someone who stalks cats.

I am the mom to three cats and I can definitely see them doing and thinking many of the things in this book.

If you are a cat parent, reading this book will have you laughing out loud.
Barbara
Garden and the people who worked on this are all writers for The Onion, and it shows. Like Onion articles, this seems funny at a glance, and then when you start reading it, the level of detail makes it the funniest thing ever. From following Joe Garden on twitter, I know him and his wife to be true cat-lovers, which also comes through in this book.
Gretchen
I read this book off and on over the course of 2 years. Some of the stuff is pretty funny, but obviously if it had been really engaging, it wouldn't have taken me 2 years to read it. I just couldn't get into it that much. I finally made myself finish it over my vacation this past week so I could take it off my "currently reading" shelf.
Abby
Its something that is really fun to skim through. Its not like a "normal" book per say, but it was very well done. Its hard to find a humorous book, but this book is relatable and funny in so many ways! For cat owners at least! Its a coffee table attraction, and a great source of light entertainment. I really liked it!
Xanthi
This is a fun book that I read during my breaks at work. Lots of amusing topics, written from the cat's perspective and handled with tongue firmly in cheek. Loved the simple but cute drawings, too. If you know cats and love them, this book is for you.
Furryfurry
This is a very fun and hilarious book. A few of the stories are a little tedious but 95% of them are absolutely awesome. They are extremely well written and clever, and each story will remind everyone of at least one of their furry friends. A must read!
Vacuums & Catnip: The best section from this book 1 9 Mar 22, 2009 01:13PM
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • Stuff On My Cat: The Book
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • The Dangerous Book for Dogs: A Parody
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • The Cat Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance (Quirk Books)
  • Cat Vs Human
  • Sorry I Barfed on Your Bed (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Kitty)
  • Simon's Cat
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • I Am Maru
  • Cats' Letters to Santa
  • I Knead My Mommy: And Other Poems by Kittens
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Strega Nona's Magic Lessons