Start by marking “Poetical Works: Tennyson” as Want to Read:
Poetical Works: Tennyson

Poetical Works: Tennyson

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Although Tennyson (1809-1892) has often been characterised as an austere, bearded patriarch and laureate of the Victorian age, his poems speak clearly to the imagination of the late 20th century. His mastery of rhyme, metre, imagery and mood communicate their dark, sensuous and sometimes morbid messages. Much given to melancholy and feelings of aching desolation, Tennyson' ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Wordsworth Poetry Library

To ask other readers questions about Poetical Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetical Works

Kim Johnson
Have not read this particular book, but have read his poems in collections and truly, he has a skill with words. He writes so beautifully, it's easy to lose the metaphorical meaning in his text, but it is a pleasure to go back and re-read his work, dissecting line for line.
Tennyson was a presence throughout my school years -- and likely before that as my mother could refer to poems readily as did others in my immediate family. These were the standards, the classics and they wer taught and read. The language is grand -- and lovely to turn to from time to time.
Once again, I haven't read a fraction of what he wrote (one reason's 'cause for some reason the writers of the period wrote HUGE amounts of words, the other's that he wasn't my favorite).
I really like Tennyson's poetry. I've studied various poems by him, including "The Kraken" and "The Eagle", and I liked reading more widely. I love the Arthurian stuff, in particular.
May 07, 2012 Sandy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually own the edition that was published in 1872 by James R Osgood and Company. Found at an antiques auction in a box of miscellaneous old books that nobody wanted.
Sunita Ganapathy
A collection of the poems of Tennyson.

Including Early Poems - The Lady of shallot, English Idylls - Princess, and Elaine, amongst others.
David Delaney
Nov 03, 2011 David Delaney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Recommended to David by: Gift from my Daughter
Though the edition I have is much older & fragile than this one & being a lover of poetry I thouroughly enjoyed my edition.
Jul 02, 2011 Tanya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In two volumes, both of which appear to be original leather-bound editions.
K Gomez
Loved 'The Lady of Shallot' and a few others. Lovely rhythm.
Andrew Wickenkamp
read some of it. Enjoy it greatly
1885 edition.
Alex Mesman
Alex Mesman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Ash Keer
Ash Keer marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Denver Blair
Denver Blair marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Tricia Chappell
Tricia Chappell marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Judy marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Fotini is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2015
Retulicus marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • Works of William Blake
  • Poetical Works
  • The Collected Poems of Rudyard Kipling
  • Collected Poems of Robert Burns
  • The Poems Of Wilfred Owen
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Palgrave's Golden Treasury
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
  • Complete Works
  • Opus Posthumous: Poems, Plays, Prose
Alfred Tennyson was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, the fourth of the twelve children of George Tennyson, clergyman, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1816 Tennyson was sent to Louth Grammar School, which he disliked so intensely that from 1820 he was educated at home until at the age of 18 he joined his two brothers at Trinity College, Cambridge and with his brother Charles published his first book, Po ...more
More about Alfred Lord Tennyson...