Start by marking “Poetical Works: Tennyson” as Want to Read:
Poetical Works: Tennyson

Poetical Works: Tennyson

Although Tennyson (1809-1892) has often been characterised as an austere, bearded patriarch and laureate of the Victorian age, his poems speak clearly to the imagination of the late 20th century. His mastery of rhyme, metre, imagery and mood communicate their dark, sensuous and sometimes morbid messages. Much given to melancholy and feelings of aching desolation, Tennyson' ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Wordsworth Poetry Library (first published January 1st 1892)

To ask other readers questions about Poetical Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetical Works

Tweety
Apr 28, 2016 Tweety marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I give up. I'm not into poetry .
Garth Mailman
Aug 04, 2015 Garth Mailman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tennyson was poet laureate and the darling of the Romantic Age in England. Enobled by Victoria he was the son of a poor parish priest who had 12 children, the family living on in the manse after the father’s death until forced to move. The death of his friend Hallam figured highly in his life and verse.

To ears accustomed to Blank and Free Verse it seems remarkable that everything here rhymes. To modern ears some of this verse can seem somewhat stilted but his ability to express himself in rhym
Kim Johnson
Apr 14, 2015 Kim Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have not read this particular book, but have read his poems in collections and truly, he has a skill with words. He writes so beautifully, it's easy to lose the metaphorical meaning in his text, but it is a pleasure to go back and re-read his work, dissecting line for line.
Dottie
Nov 18, 2007 Dottie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tennyson was a presence throughout my school years -- and likely before that as my mother could refer to poems readily as did others in my immediate family. These were the standards, the classics and they wer taught and read. The language is grand -- and lovely to turn to from time to time.
Bron Jones
May 02, 2011 Bron Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning.
Markus
Mar 24, 2016 Markus rated it it was amazing
I loved the Princess and "In Memoriam", it still in my mind, but I will re-read it sometimes...
K Gomez
Sep 23, 2012 K Gomez rated it really liked it
Loved 'The Lady of Shallot' and a few others. Lovely rhythm.
Tanya
1885 edition.
David Delaney
Nov 03, 2011 David Delaney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Recommended to David by: Gift from my Daughter
Though the edition I have is much older & fragile than this one & being a lover of poetry I thouroughly enjoyed my edition.
Nikki
Jan 02, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, for-class
I really like Tennyson's poetry. I've studied various poems by him, including "The Kraken" and "The Eagle", and I liked reading more widely. I love the Arthurian stuff, in particular.
Sunita Ganapathy
A collection of the poems of Tennyson.

Including Early Poems - The Lady of shallot, English Idylls - Princess, and Elaine, amongst others.
Tanya
Jul 02, 2011 Tanya marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
In two volumes, both of which appear to be original leather-bound editions.
Luke
Jan 27, 2008 Luke rated it it was ok
Once again, I haven't read a fraction of what he wrote (one reason's 'cause for some reason the writers of the period wrote HUGE amounts of words, the other's that he wasn't my favorite).
Sandy
May 07, 2012 Sandy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I actually own the edition that was published in 1872 by James R Osgood and Company. Found at an antiques auction in a box of miscellaneous old books that nobody wanted.
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
booksofallkinds
booksofallkinds rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Charles Hobbs
Charles Hobbs rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2012
Michael O.
Michael O. rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Surajit Basu
Surajit Basu rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Jenniffer Baltzell
Jenniffer Baltzell rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Altichiero
Altichiero rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Kasey Rahn
Kasey Rahn rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Mattie
Mattie rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Cris
Cris rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Astrid Tansidar
Astrid Tansidar rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Selected Poetry and Prose
  • The Works of John Donne (Poetry Library)
  • The Works of Algernon Charles Swinburne
  • Selected Poems, 1966-1987
  • Collected Poems of Robert Burns
  • Complete Works
  • The Works of W.B. Yeats
  • HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS (Visual QuickStart Guide)
  • Golden Treasury
  • Poetical Works
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Opus Posthumous: Poems, Plays, Prose
Alfred Tennyson, invariably known as Alfred Lord Tennyson on all his books, was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, the fourth of the twelve children of George Tennyson, clergyman, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1816 Tennyson was sent to Louth Grammar School, which he disliked so intensely that from 1820 he was educated at home until at the age of 18 he joined his two brothers at Trinity College, Cambrid ...more
More about Alfred Tennyson...

“But though we love kind Peace so well,
We dare not even by silence sanction lies.”
1 likes