The Scotsman

The Scotsman

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Follow this extraordinarily talented writer into a wild, romantic land of mists and mountains, where a rebellious Scots lord and a defiant English beauty surrender to a reckless passion that could destroy them both...

SHE WAS HIS SWORN ENEMY - AND THE WOMAN HE DARED TO LOVE
Proud and fierce, Alexander Fraser fights for the lands and title the English stole from his family -...more
Published October 14th 1998 by Fanfare

To ask other readers questions about The Scotsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scotsman

MelissaB
May 11, 2012 MelissaB rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scottish historical fans
Recommended to MelissaB by: Alyce from Amazon
I was very pleasantly surprised with this Scottish medieval romance. I really enjoyed the story, strong characters and the romance. The book manages to show realistic historical details of the time period but still include a very romantic love story.

Alexander Fraser is a Scottish lord fighting for Robert the Bruce along the Scottish/English border during the fight for Scotland's independence. His younger brother is taken hostage by the English during a border fight by the cruel Earl of Warfield...more
K.
Nov 21, 2009 K. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to K. by: MelissaB
[“The Scotsman” by Juliana Garnett:]

England/Scotland (Battle of Bannockburn) 1313

This is your classic knights of old/damsel in distress romance novel set in times of war on the England/Scotland border. Anyone who enjoys both a good historical accounting with a little embellishment thrown in for the sake of creating the main romantic characters and keeping them “close to” the actual historical figures, will enjoy this tale. When I first started reading, I felt that Garnett drew the characters a b...more
Beanbag Love
I have to admit that, while I liked a lot of this book, I was also compelled to skim in a few places. And now comes the confession ... I skimmed the sex scenes. I know! What's wrong with me?

I found the historical elements and the story of the conflict to be more engrossing than the rest. The hero and heroine started out pretty good. They were enemies and the way they acted toward each other made perfect sense. I wondered how they would get over it. And I guess that's why it felt so inorganic whe...more
Lover of Romance
Originally Posted At Addicted To Romance

Alexander Fraser has learned that his younger brother has been captured by the English, and he knows he has little time to save him. So Alexander does the only thing he can, he kidnaps the daughter of the man who is holding his brother hostage. Catherine has always felt oppressed by her father, who only sees her as a way to gain fortune with planning her upcoming marriage with a man twice her age. But while out taking a breath of fresh air, Catherine find...more
Regan Walker
Superb Story of a Highland Chieftain who followed Robert the Bruce and the English beauty he loved!

What I immediately liked about this book was the history is so well woven into the story, it swept me into the minds of the Scots who followed Robert Bruce in their fight for freedom from the English rule. Set in 1313-1314 when the Bruce and his men retook Stirling Castle and eventually gained military victory over King Edward, it tells the story of Sir Alexander Fraser, laird of his clan and avid...more
Daneesha
"I love you catkin. God help us both, but I love you far more than I ever thought 'twas possible for a man to love a woman. You are my world, and I pray that I do not slay you by daring to love you." Alex, the hero.

Oh, swoon. This was one of many moments that I loved about this book!
I will admit when I read the names of the main characters I was immediately like WAIT!
The hero Alex and his heroine Catherine eerily remind me of one of my all time favorite couples: Alex and Catherine. Yep, but that...more
Kim
Good love story. The love between Alex and Catherine grows in a believable way. It is not full of the hatred that often passes for chemistry in a romance. Neither is lust passed off as love. The two main characters are caught up in the circumstances of their time and the story is allowed to develop from that.
beppy
synopsis:
catherine is expected to be a good daughter and marry who her family picks out for her. alex is out to get leverage to get some of his men returned to him. what he doesn't realize is that catherine isn't really high on her father's list of priorities. although catherine is now safe from the marriage that she didn't want, she is now in the clutches of the hated scottish.

what i liked: the time period. alex and catherine were well drawn characters.

what i didn't like: yet another very popul...more
Sarita
I finally read this one! I kept putting it off because the first chapter was just way over descriptive. However, all the times I tried to start it were at night, so I picked it up yesterday morning.....and got sucked in! lol
I really liked this story because of the authors ability to keep the story realistic! I felt like I was reading an amazing historical from the 1300's.
It was a great non-paranormal Highlander novel!!!
Annastasia Sikel
Gag me with a dull spoon...this one was pretty bad.
Quinn
This was a good read, but not a great read for me. I didn't 'feel' it, if you know what I mean. The story was enjoyable enough, and the love scenes were good, but I just didn't feel depth in the characters and their relationship wasn't 'believable'. It didn't evoke any feelings or investment from me, is probably the best way I can put it.
Karen
I am constantly looking for a good highland romance novel and of late it has been a real hit and miss. Juliana Garnett's "The Scotsman" ticked all of the boxes for me. It was a great balance of history and romance. A book that I found hard to put down and at the end felt that warm and fuzzy feeling after reading a good romance.
Morgan
This was an okay book. The storyline was good, but it kind of dragged on. There were also a lot of typos in the book, and it looked like they were autocorrected. Maybe it was all the typos, but this book just didn't do it for me.
Carolyn
Very nice Scottish medieval romance. I enjoyed the story, enjoyed the way characters are portrayed and enjoyed the romance with very realistic historical details.
Hollie
I really liked the characters in this book, but I still found myself skimming a lot. The history was kind of boring to me, but I still loved the story.
Pixelinchen
habe ich nicht zu Ende lesen können. Die Sprache war einfach zu kitschig und irgendwie veraltet, wie aus den 50ger Jahren.
Highland-dreamer
The storyline is a bit cliche, but I thought the writing was good, and kept me interested the whole way through.
♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. Great read, wonderful story and surprisingly steamy for a book written in 98. :-)
Suz9
One of my favorite Scottish period pieces.
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Tonya Mcanally craft
Tonya Mcanally craft marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Yael
Yael marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Tankk
Tankk marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
  • Her One Desire
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1)
  • Devil in a Kilt (MacKenzie, #1)
  • His Wicked Ways (McKay, #1)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers, #3)
  • Possessed By The Highlander (The MacLerie, #3)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Highland Warrior
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
The Vow The Laird The Knight The Baron: A Loveswept Historical Romance The Quest