Start by marking “The Scotsman” as Want to Read:
The Scotsman

The Scotsman

Follow this extraordinarily talented writer into a wild, romantic land of mists and mountains, where a rebellious Scots lord and a defiant English beauty surrender to a reckless passion that could destroy them both...

SHE WAS HIS SWORN ENEMY - AND THE WOMAN HE DARED TO LOVE
Proud and fierce, Alexander Fraser fights for the lands and title the English stole from his family -
Published October 14th 1998 by Fanfare

To ask other readers questions about The Scotsman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scotsman

MelissaB
Jan 27, 2009 MelissaB rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Scottish historical fans
Recommended to MelissaB by: Alyce from Amazon
I was very pleasantly surprised with this Scottish medieval romance. I really enjoyed the story, strong characters and the romance. The book manages to show realistic historical details of the time period but still include a very romantic love story.

Alexander Fraser is a Scottish lord fighting for Robert the Bruce along the Scottish/English border during the fight for Scotland's independence. His younger brother is taken hostage by the English during a border fight by the cruel Earl of Warfield
K.
Aug 06, 2009 K. rated it it was amazing
Recommended to K. by: MelissaB
[“The Scotsman” by Juliana Garnett:]

England/Scotland (Battle of Bannockburn) 1313

This is your classic knights of old/damsel in distress romance novel set in times of war on the England/Scotland border. Anyone who enjoys both a good historical accounting with a little embellishment thrown in for the sake of creating the main romantic characters and keeping them “close to” the actual historical figures, will enjoy this tale. When I first started reading, I felt that Garnett drew the characters a b
Beanbag Love
Dec 06, 2009 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it
I have to admit that, while I liked a lot of this book, I was also compelled to skim in a few places. And now comes the confession ... I skimmed the sex scenes. I know! What's wrong with me?

I found the historical elements and the story of the conflict to be more engrossing than the rest. The hero and heroine started out pretty good. They were enemies and the way they acted toward each other made perfect sense. I wondered how they would get over it. And I guess that's why it felt so inorganic whe
Zoe
Dec 30, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because:

1. It is medieval.
2. It is in Scotland.
3. It is a Romeo and Juliet kind of story, only it is not a tragedy. The prince and princess lived happily ever after.

There, I have summarized the story. I wish I would stop summarizing stories like this but most of them, well, a summary will do.

I liked this book, first of all. I didn't want to stop. I was not overly impressed but it kept my interest. Alex Fraser needed to rescue his younger brother Jamie. He happened upon Cath
Regan Walker
Apr 07, 2013 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Superb Story of a Highland Chieftain who followed Robert the Bruce and the English beauty he loved!

What I immediately liked about this book was the history is so well woven into the story, it swept me into the minds of the Scots who followed Robert Bruce in their fight for freedom from the English rule. Set in 1313-1314 when the Bruce and his men retook Stirling Castle and eventually gained military victory over King Edward, it tells the story of Sir Alexander Fraser, laird of his clan and avid
Lover of Romance
Originally Posted At Addicted To Romance

Alexander Fraser has learned that his younger brother has been captured by the English, and he knows he has little time to save him. So Alexander does the only thing he can, he kidnaps the daughter of the man who is holding his brother hostage. Catherine has always felt oppressed by her father, who only sees her as a way to gain fortune with planning her upcoming marriage with a man twice her age. But while out taking a breath of fresh air, Catherine find
Kim
Jul 15, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
Good love story. The love between Alex and Catherine grows in a believable way. It is not full of the hatred that often passes for chemistry in a romance. Neither is lust passed off as love. The two main characters are caught up in the circumstances of their time and the story is allowed to develop from that.
Daneesha
Feb 07, 2014 Daneesha rated it it was amazing
"I love you catkin. God help us both, but I love you far more than I ever thought 'twas possible for a man to love a woman. You are my world, and I pray that I do not slay you by daring to love you." Alex, the hero.

Oh, swoon. This was one of many moments that I loved about this book!
I will admit when I read the names of the main characters I was immediately like WAIT!
The hero Alex and his heroine Catherine eerily remind me of one of my all time favorite couples: Alex and Catherine. Yep, but that
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
catherine is expected to be a good daughter and marry who her family picks out for her. alex is out to get leverage to get some of his men returned to him. what he doesn't realize is that catherine isn't really high on her father's list of priorities. although catherine is now safe from the marriage that she didn't want, she is now in the clutches of the hated scottish.

what i liked: the time period. alex and catherine were well drawn characters.

what i didn't like: yet another very popul
Sarita
Jul 31, 2009 Sarita rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander
I finally read this one! I kept putting it off because the first chapter was just way over descriptive. However, all the times I tried to start it were at night, so I picked it up yesterday morning.....and got sucked in! lol
I really liked this story because of the authors ability to keep the story realistic! I felt like I was reading an amazing historical from the 1300's.
It was a great non-paranormal Highlander novel!!!
Karen
Feb 27, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
I am constantly looking for a good highland romance novel and of late it has been a real hit and miss. Juliana Garnett's "The Scotsman" ticked all of the boxes for me. It was a great balance of history and romance. A book that I found hard to put down and at the end felt that warm and fuzzy feeling after reading a good romance.
Quinn
May 12, 2009 Quinn rated it liked it
This was a good read, but not a great read for me. I didn't 'feel' it, if you know what I mean. The story was enjoyable enough, and the love scenes were good, but I just didn't feel depth in the characters and their relationship wasn't 'believable'. It didn't evoke any feelings or investment from me, is probably the best way I can put it.
Rachel
May 03, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f

Classic enemies to lovers set up in the Scottish highlands. You've probably read this trope a million times before, but this version is done quite well. Though The Vow by the same author is actually even better done.
Morgan
Apr 11, 2012 Morgan rated it liked it
This was an okay book. The storyline was good, but it kind of dragged on. There were also a lot of typos in the book, and it looked like they were autocorrected. Maybe it was all the typos, but this book just didn't do it for me.
Carolyn
Feb 27, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Very nice Scottish medieval romance. I enjoyed the story, enjoyed the way characters are portrayed and enjoyed the romance with very realistic historical details.
Becky
BAHAHA romance novels...
Pixelinchen
habe ich nicht zu Ende lesen können. Die Sprache war einfach zu kitschig und irgendwie veraltet, wie aus den 50ger Jahren.
Suz9
Feb 27, 2013 Suz9 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Scottish period pieces.
Highland-dreamer
Nov 17, 2011 Highland-dreamer rated it liked it
The storyline is a bit cliche, but I thought the writing was good, and kept me interested the whole way through.
Renissa
Shelves: nook-books, romance
Awful.
Hollie
Dec 05, 2009 Hollie rated it liked it
I really liked the characters in this book, but I still found myself skimming a lot. The history was kind of boring to me, but I still loved the story.
♡Karlyn P♡
4.5 stars. Great read, wonderful story and surprisingly steamy for a book written in 98. :-)
Tracyk
Tracyk rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Meribel
Meribel rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2017
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2009
~~ Angie ~~
~~ Angie ~~ rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Evette
Evette rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Kimberly  Carten Casey
Kimberly Carten Casey rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Her One Desire
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • One Man's Love (The Highland Lords, #1)
  • Blackheart
  • The Last Knight
  • The Darkest Heart
  • The Highlander's Bride (Highlander Duo, #2)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • Maiden Bride (de Laci, #2)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • The Magnificent Rogue
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • His Captive (MacGruder Brothers, #1)
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • The MacLean Groom (Highland Lairds Trilogy, #1)
AKA Michelle Brandon, Micki Brown. Virginia Brown, Emma Harrington and Virginia Lynn.
More about Juliana Garnett...