Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well

Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  30 reviews
With all the controversy and confusion over "best practice" issues in teaching reading, someone with the necessary experience, the ability to take the long view, and most of all a level head is essential to set things straight. This is where Regie Routman steps in: giving clarity, support, specific demonstrations, and confidence to teachers so they can teach reading in a m...more
Published October 4th 2002 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Reading Essentials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Essentials

Julie
Feb 24, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of elementary school children
Shelves: non-fiction
My daughter's kindergarten teacher recommended this book as a help for understanding emerging reading and beyond. Despite being geared for teachers, along with the requisite jargon, the book is decipherable and Routman delivers some great ideas a parent can use.

Three things from the book I took to heart. Most importantly, a child absolutely must believe he can read. Routman tours schools, and where she finds children who are beginning to give in to the notion they can't and won't read, she find...more
Regie Routman never fails to inform and educate. I borrowed this book from a colleague and needless to say, I will be purchasing my own copy. This book has everything you need to be a successful reading instructor. It has all of the information that many of us have heard and learned in theory. But, I love the way the book is concise and includes more application that is real and useful for educators and less theory. I think we all know why we need to include ample time for reading in the classro...more
Susan Hjorleifson
Good ideas and suggestion for literacy. Helpful for new teachers.
Shanna
Routman is enthralling. I feel so inspired and excited to teach reading! My only complaints (and they are all minor) is that it is a little repetitive and cheesy, and I sometimes got confused by the terms she uses for different ways of reading. However, she does explain everything really well and she provides examples. Also, there's a glossary at the back to help you out.
FYI: this is mostly for elementary teachers, but there are some useful ideas for high school teachers as well. Maybe secondary...more
jacky
I wasn't very impressed with the first chapter, but it has gotten better. I am frustrated with the fact that this book gives the impression that it is for any teacher of reading, but it does not address issues in a realistic way for middle or high school teachers. The second half of the book begins to deal with issues that all reading teachers face and gives some ways to approach those issues that all teachers, not just elementary teachers, can try.
Tiffany
This book is great for giving tips on teaching reading using authentic and engaging instruction. Not just the theory behind instruction but also practical ways to implement instructional strategies in the classroom. These ideas that Routman presents could actually be successfully accomplished in a regular classroom, not just in an ideal situation.
Rae Hittinger
Oct 04, 2007 Rae Hittinger rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: literacy teachers
The author is very mindful of red tape(ie crap) that teachers have to go through when considering their teaching methods. She provides research to support what teachers really should be/want to be doing when teaching, and enables teachers to do so through excplicit writing. I particularly enjoyed the part about writing about reading.
Lacey
Routman is obviously a knowledgeable member of the field of education. This book offers advice on teaching reading, but if you are looking for specific advice, this is not the resource you need. Routman requires you to trust yourself as an educator and make decisions about your own classroom.
Shelley
I just re-read this book as part of my research on the role of independent reading in the classroom for a district committee. She really is the literacy educator whose philosophy most parallels my own. Very thoughtful and challenging to both preconceptions and commonly accepted practice.
Liz Murray
A book that delivers on its promises. Regie Routman clearly and concisely lays out literacy goals we should all be aiming for and helps us find ways to implement programs we might not already be using. A highly practical book that will serve as personal reference for a while to come.
Laura Latall
I read this book for a grad class. As a high school English teacher, it wasn't very helpful to me because it is very focused on early elementary school. It does include a lot of specific ideas that would probably be beneficial in kindergarten to fifth grade classrooms though.
Kate
I read this book for a grad class, and it was really useful. I have already implemented a few ideas from the book in my classroom. The biggest problem I had was that many of the ideas were meant more for elementary classrooms instead of high school classrooms.
Kurt
73. Reading Essentials. 224 Pages. By Reggie Routman. This is another best practice piece of literature that you would find very helpful in your classroom as a writing instructor of young adolescents. This one earned a four star rating ****

Nicole
Old faithful...whenever I need to reconnect with my reading instruction habits I go back to this book. Essential for all teachers, especially those that know that worksheets and book reports are not the road to reading
Ann
All of my books I am reading are text books but some are facinating-
Regie Routman has a very forward thinking look at teaching reading and writing-if any of you need help for your kids in that area.
Sara
Targeted for early childhood literacy, but is still a "back to basics" with gems applicable to MS/HS. Also has very practical ideas to go from theory to classroom (good scaffolding and assessments).
Jessica
A MUST read for every reading teacher. Regie Routman is so realistic and speaks to the realities of teaching well. Favorite quote: "Work smarter, not harder." Word.
Nancy
Excellent overview of how to best teach reading in the elementary classroom. I like everything she's ever writtten, but this is the one I recommend to new teachers.
Gina
So far this book is great. I thought maybe i'd look into some freelance tutoring, and should brush up on the subject. Very insightful.
Jen Munnerlyn
We have 7 copies of this book in the ACS Library. One copy will remain in the ES Lit Library.
Karen
Jul 24, 2007 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all elementary educators
This is an important must read for anyone who is teaching or will be teaching elementary reading.
Dawn
Another Regie, about reading: My classroom library is modeled after her system here
Janene AKA Ms. Palumbo
Mar 13, 2008 Janene AKA Ms. Palumbo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Reading teachers
Shelves: professional
This book totally changed how I teach reading. Seriously. Worth a read.
Eleanor Ramson
Jan 24, 2008 Eleanor Ramson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody who spends time with young people
I read this book 3 times in a row. It is very exciting to me.
Trista
A great book that teaches teachers how to lead reading instruction.
Allison
Read this during a UCF course with Terry Tolbert!
Susan
Works for high school students, too.
Elizabeth Finney
Loved it. Interesting ideas.
Kimberly
Dec 16, 2008 Kimberly is currently reading it
Shelves: textbooks
Winter 2009
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Reading with Meaning
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction
  • Literature Circles
  • I Read It, but I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers
  • Craft Lessons
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • When Kids Can't Read-What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6-12
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
Writing Essentials: Raising Expectations and Results While Simplifying Teaching Teaching Essentials: Expecting the Most and Getting the Best from Every Learner, K-8 Conversations: Strategies for Teaching, Learning, and Evaluating Kids' Poems: 1st Grade: Teaching First Graders to Love Writing Poetry Invitations: Changing as Teachers and Learners K-12