Start by marking “In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)

In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy #6)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,449 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
When New York theatre impresario Tommy Burke asks Molly Murphy to help him take care of some family business back in Ireland, Molly is happy to oblige. Tempted by the prospect of going home for the first time in years (and putting her fledging detective agency on firm financial ground), Molly throws caution to the wind and climbs aboard the White Start Liner Majestic with ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Dublin's Fair City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Dublin's Fair City

Aug 20, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
In the sixth edition of Molly Murphy series. Molly accepts an assignment to find a sister of a well known Irish Producer who was left in Ireland when the family arrived in America on a famine ship. The Producer did not know about the sister until his Mother died. Molly feels she is save enough to return to Ireland. Difficulties began before the ship sails. Molly find a murder girl in her cabin and encounters Scotland Yard on the trip over. Molly traces the baby starting at the church to Dublin. ...more
Outstanding! The Molly Murphy mysteries continue to bring thrilling stories with fascinating historical background. I wasn't sure how I would like Molly traveling to Ireland on an assignment and leaving behind familiar characters that I've come to enjoy. Sid, Gus, and Daniel were back in New York City, with Daniel getting ready to go to trial for bribery and setting up a prize fight. I should have known that Rhys Bowen wouldn't let me down. In Dublin's Fair City might even be my favorite one so ...more
I was a little worried about this one, since I knew Daniel wouldn't be in it much what with Molly in Ireland and all. But of course there was no need for that, because I loved it. Might've helped that I had the handsome, charismatic Cullen Quinlan to crush on while Molly was abroad. Lucky girl. (Never mind that she's forever stumbling across dead bodies, being put in harm's way, and under suspicion for some crime or another. She has all these handsome Irishmen who like her!)

Er . . . wait, I'm su
-------------------------- WARNING SERIES SPOILERS ----------------------------

I started out loving this series. I was convinced I had finally found another mystery-thriller pile of books that I could really sink my teeth in to. I'm not so sure this is the case anymore, unfortunately. It's amazing how much my enthusiasm for this series has waned.

I still adore Molly. She is one of the most endearing characters I've encountered. Her spunk and perseverance are truly spectacular. Her character is wo
Katie Sholty
The 6th installment in the Molly Murphy Mysteries floundered. There was almost too much going on in the plot: Oona Sheehan's mysterious disappearance, the murder of Oona's young maid, finding Tommy Burke's lost sister, anarchists, and the random popping up James Joyce (yes, the writer). Joyce didn't add anything to the story line. What bothered me more, was Molly's serendipitous meeting with her younger brothers who just happened to be in Dublin. It fell into place all too nicely. I sorely misse ...more
Mar 14, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Murphy goes back to Ireland and finds herself involved it the political issues of the early 1900s. A good mixture of history and mystery. Molly survives, of course, and gives us something to think about on the voyage home.
Dec 22, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying Molly's adventures greatly. This trip to Dublin brought a new place and historical references to Molly's life. I like the way Ms. Bowen structures her stories and how Molly doesn't always find the solutions to her cases in places she's expecting to find them. Also, Molly's life is complicated and not everything is resolved in a neat fashion. Things are messy and while Molly gets through them, she does so and ends up a little wiser and more experienced. Following along with Molly is ...more
#6 in the Molly Murphy series. I love this series, the period flavor of turn of the century NYC, and the characters, especially Molly and her Bohemian friends. This series entry, however, has her leave NYC for Ireland to track down the sister of a theatre impresario who has just learned of her existence from his dying mother. After 100 pages getting her involved with a murder on the ocean liner, everything evolves with a great deal of coincidence, including Molly getting involved with Irish revo ...more
Molly Murphy, a New York based detective and Irish immigrant, seizes the chance to revisit the old sod on an all-expense paid trip back to Ireland on business for a wealthy theater mogul intent on discovering the fate of a sister left behind during the exodus from the Potato Famine decades ago. The novel is set in the first years of the twentieth century.

This particular story departs from the others in that it doesn't harp on the fact that Molly, as a woman, is being kept down unjustly by the M
Molly is commissioned by a theatre executive in New York to travel to Ireland and find a long lost sister of his that he has just discovered was left behind when his family fled the potato famine. Molly is hesitant about traveling back to Ireland, where there is still an outstanding warrant for her arrest, but ultimately decides she will be safe enough as long as she stays away from her home county. Naturally, a murder takes place on the ship bound for Ireland, and Molly finds herself wrapped up ...more
This was probably my least favorite out of the whole series. I felt like it just skimmed over the plot. It was one of the shortest books in the series, but it could have been one of the longest. I didn't feel satisfied at all with the ending because I felt like it left so much left undone. I had really gotten into the characters in the first five books and really thought that she should have tied these all together. It was entertaining enough, but not my favorite.
Apr 12, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly was hired to find Mr. Burke's sister, Mary Ann in Ireland. Not an easy task since Molly escaped from Ireland for murder. And, murder always seems to follow Molly and it did during her travel. Her "pretend" maid was found murder and Molly was pretty much a suspect. Turns out the murderer was Mr. Burke's nephew--nephew thought the maid was Molly. He just wanted to stop Molly from finding Mary Ann otherwise he'll lose out on his inheritance. Molly met up with her brothers, Joseph and Liam, an ...more
Feb 13, 2014 Doreen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
molly got herself into a few adventures this time. she was commissioned by a famous actor to search for his long lost sister in ireland. what more could molly asked? a commission and a chance to visit her home country, plus getting away from daniel's grumpy self (due to his suspension as police captain).
while on her journey to ireland, she got herself another commission (view spoiler), changing places with a famous actress.
Nov 01, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Molly Murphy accepts a great paying job, but it takes her to Ireland.

As she leaves on the liner that brought her to America, she is met with an interesting proposition from a famous actress.

The results are a dead body of the maid and a missing actress. This is only one small portion of the story as she deals with the murder of the poor maid and her job in locating the missing sister of a famous theater producer.

While the book takes an interesting side of things in Ireland at the beginning of
Jan 18, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly meets New York City's renowned theatrical impresario who has an unusual request for her: Sail to Ireland and locate his baby sister who had been left behind when the family sailed for America during the great famine. Tommy Burke had amassed a fortune and wants to bestow his wealth on a last surviving family member. He offers to pay for her passage on the White Star Liner Majestic, pay for all her expenses, and give her a hundred dollars. So, of course, she agrees.

When she boards the ship a
Jan 30, 2010 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read all the preceding Molly Murphy mysteries as well as this one and enjoyed all of them. The characters are interesting and there are enough plot twists to keep the reader guessing.
Molly has a case that takes her to Dublin; only, being Molly, she acquires a second case on the ship, as well as getting fully embroiled in international incidents including long-lost family members and Ireland's desire for independence.

Overall, this installment was "meh" for me; Molly's character isn't very constant, and jumps all over the place in both actions and emotions. This, paired with the utter unrealistic scenarios that go down in the plot detract for me from the overall storyline. Do
Kimberly Ann
Jan 27, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it

Molly agrees to go back to Ireland to search for a well known New York theatrical impresario's left behind sister.... His only known relative is a good-for-nothing nephew whom he is loathe to leave a penny to.

Once aboard ship, famous actress Oona Sheehan, also hires Molly as her stand-in, claiming weariness of her fans. In route, Oona's maid is murdered & Molly stupidly ignores the fact that she has had words with the murderer.

Once in Ireland, Molly finds the actress's trunks filled with gu
Cheryl Necessary
Sep 11, 2015 Cheryl Necessary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really liked the insights into Irish history and the fact that everything wasn't wrapped up in a pretty bow. There were realistic losses. Good story.
Sep 28, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best Molly Murphy Mystery yet as far as I'm concerned. Maybe because it's a little grittier or maybe because there is less of Daniel! Also, I'm hoping that (view spoiler) ...more
Mar 11, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upon reflection, I'd say this is more like 3.5 stars. The plot had a little too much going on, and it felt like it took odd turns. I'm not sure I liked where things ended up, and it felt like there were too many loose ends when I was done. Perhaps they will be tied up in future books?

I still really like the series, am enjoying them as audiobooks. In general, I put the whole series at 4 stars. Not great enough books to hit the 5 star mark but certainly better than 3. (I seldom give a 2 star or lo
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2007
Irish immigrant Molly Murphy returns to Ireland on a job to find a missing relative. Unfortunately, she gets involved with a murder on board the boat taking her back to her native country. I normally love this historical series, but this one was up to par. The mystery was sacrificed in favor of the historical plot, which was good enough to redeem the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Barb Klein
Mar 14, 2016 Barb Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“In Dublin’s Fair City” is book number six in the Molly Murphy Series by Rhys Bowen. It is always helpful to follow the series in order because previous novels lend understanding to the current one being read.

In this novel, Molly Murphy is hired to travel to Ireland in search of the baby sister of a man who had to leave the isle during the famine. Because she was sickly at the time, the family had to leave her in the care of a parish priest who then put her in an orphanage. Tommy Burke thought h
May 04, 2011 diemmi147 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alas, Never have I expected anything dramatic to occur in Bowen's books. But it did and it stirred my heart a flutter. A fleeting love story between our dear Molly and a freedom-fighter Irish man. So charming, so sweet and so sad. Poor Daniel was sitting back home, glooming and moping. Oh, don't worry. It has nothing to do with cheating and such. Like I said, as "fleeting " as the wind goes by, carrying with it the fragrance of sweet flowers, giving us a nostalgic and somehow melancholic feeling ...more
Here's an excerpt from In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries #4) In all, it's been a good read, and I was entertained and rewarded in persevering with this series. But there's something about the latter which makes me compelled to keep reading the books, even if I rate them a 1.

This book would be the third one consecutively to notch 3 stars. There's something unhealthy and unwholesome about this series, and who knows, this very writer. But the latter's novels are addicting as hell. Much as I'm
Jul 19, 2010 Spuddie rated it it was amazing
#6 in the Molly Murphy historical series set in early 1900's New York. This episode takes Molly back across the sea to her homeland, having been hired by a rich theatre producer to see if she can trace his long-lost sister. He hadn't known of her existence until his mother confessed on her deathbed that she had left the baby, who had become ill, in the care of a priest. There's little hope of finding the now-fifty-year-old woman, but the man is paying well, and Molly needs the money.

She also ne
Rogue Reader
In In Dublin's Fair City, Molly risks traveling back to Ireland on what seems to be a simple assignment to find the long lost sister of a theater impresario. But things start to go wrong when Molly is persuaded to change cabins with a famous actress and the actress’s maid is found murdered. And the actress’s luggage is full of guns. Once in Ireland Molly finds herself caught up in the freedom movement and a dangerous mission of the Irish Republican Brotherhood.
This one started out strong, got even better, and then the last few pages disappointed me. I guess with such a build-up, I wanted the ending to be less cursory. Not different, just more complete. Between one page and the next, we went from breathless high drama to "and that's what we did." The End. Did her editor call and demand she finish? Did she get bored with the build-up and just want it to be over? Not sure, but it would have been four stars...
Ruth Barrineau-brooks
Bowen writes another hit

When Molly's offered the chance to go home as well as earn some well-needed money, it sounds too good to be true. Then she's offered even more money to pose as someone else. Everything starts to go wrong before she even makes it to Ireland, and as she tries to complete her job, she soon finds herself in a battle for her life. In Dublin's Fair City is another great book in the Molly Murphy series.
Mar 02, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun adventure but again Molly solved the mysteries more by chance than investigative skill, but she is learning and getting better as a PI. It was fun to be in a new city for this book. However, I'm still frustrated that she hasn't been paid for a case she completed two books ago! She's brave in all things except demanding her fee. Oh well. Loved the fun and this one had A LOT of suspense!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 11, 2016 04:31PM
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • The Emperor's Assassin (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #2)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr, #3)
  • An Incomplete Revenge (Maisie Dobbs, #5)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #5)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)