Start by marking “In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
Preview

In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy #6)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,807 ratings  ·  128 reviews
When New York theatre impresario Tommy Burke asks Molly to help him take care of some family business back in Ireland, Molly is happy to oblige. Tempted by the prospect of going home for the first time in years (and putting her fledging detective agency on firm financial ground), Molly throws caution to the wind and climbs aboard the White Start Liner Majestic with hopes o ...more
Published March 4th 2008 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about In Dublin's Fair City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Dublin's Fair City

Kathy
Outstanding! The Molly Murphy mysteries continue to bring thrilling stories with fascinating historical background. I wasn't sure how I would like Molly traveling to Ireland on an assignment and leaving behind familiar characters that I've come to enjoy. Sid, Gus, and Daniel were back in New York City, with Daniel getting ready to go to trial for bribery and setting up a prize fight. I should have known that Rhys Bowen wouldn't let me down. In Dublin's Fair City might even be my favorite one so ...more
Echo
I was a little worried about this one, since I knew Daniel wouldn't be in it much what with Molly in Ireland and all. But of course there was no need for that, because I loved it. Might've helped that I had the handsome, charismatic Cullen Quinlan to crush on while Molly was abroad. Lucky girl. (Never mind that she's forever stumbling across dead bodies, being put in harm's way, and under suspicion for some crime or another. She has all these handsome Irishmen who like her!)

Er . . . wait, I'm su
Karen
Molly Murphy goes back to Ireland and finds herself involved it the political issues of the early 1900s. A good mixture of history and mystery. Molly survives, of course, and gives us something to think about on the voyage home.
Ed
#6 in the Molly Murphy series. I love this series, the period flavor of turn of the century NYC, and the characters, especially Molly and her Bohemian friends. This series entry, however, has her leave NYC for Ireland to track down the sister of a theatre impresario who has just learned of her existence from his dying mother. After 100 pages getting her involved with a murder on the ocean liner, everything evolves with a great deal of coincidence, including Molly getting involved with Irish revo ...more
Waverly
Molly Murphy, a New York based detective and Irish immigrant, seizes the chance to revisit the old sod on an all-expense paid trip back to Ireland on business for a wealthy theater mogul intent on discovering the fate of a sister left behind during the exodus from the Potato Famine decades ago. The novel is set in the first years of the twentieth century.

This particular story departs from the others in that it doesn't harp on the fact that Molly, as a woman, is being kept down unjustly by the M
Michelle
Molly is commissioned by a theatre executive in New York to travel to Ireland and find a long lost sister of his that he has just discovered was left behind when his family fled the potato famine. Molly is hesitant about traveling back to Ireland, where there is still an outstanding warrant for her arrest, but ultimately decides she will be safe enough as long as she stays away from her home county. Naturally, a murder takes place on the ship bound for Ireland, and Molly finds herself wrapped up ...more
Nielson
This was probably my least favorite out of the whole series. I felt like it just skimmed over the plot. It was one of the shortest books in the series, but it could have been one of the longest. I didn't feel satisfied at all with the ending because I felt like it left so much left undone. I had really gotten into the characters in the first five books and really thought that she should have tied these all together. It was entertaining enough, but not my favorite.
Elizabeth
Molly was hired to find Mr. Burke's sister, Mary Ann in Ireland. Not an easy task since Molly escaped from Ireland for murder. And, murder always seems to follow Molly and it did during her travel. Her "pretend" maid was found murder and Molly was pretty much a suspect. Turns out the murderer was Mr. Burke's nephew--nephew thought the maid was Molly. He just wanted to stop Molly from finding Mary Ann otherwise he'll lose out on his inheritance. Molly met up with her brothers, Joseph and Liam, an ...more
Doreen
molly got herself into a few adventures this time. she was commissioned by a famous actor to search for his long lost sister in ireland. what more could molly asked? a commission and a chance to visit her home country, plus getting away from daniel's grumpy self (due to his suspension as police captain).
while on her journey to ireland, she got herself another commission (view spoiler), changing places with a famous actress.
Bonnie
Molly meets New York City's renowned theatrical impresario who has an unusual request for her: Sail to Ireland and locate his baby sister who had been left behind when the family sailed for America during the great famine. Tommy Burke had amassed a fortune and wants to bestow his wealth on a last surviving family member. He offers to pay for her passage on the White Star Liner Majestic, pay for all her expenses, and give her a hundred dollars. So, of course, she agrees.

When she boards the ship a
Library-KAT

Molly agrees to go back to Ireland to search for a well known New York theatrical impresario's left behind sister.... His only known relative is a good-for-nothing nephew whom he is loathe to leave a penny to.

Once aboard ship, famous actress Oona Sheehan, also hires Molly as her stand-in, claiming weariness of her fans. In route, Oona's maid is murdered & Molly stupidly ignores the fact that she has had words with the murderer.

Once in Ireland, Molly finds the actress's trunks filled with gu
Bonnie
I've read all the preceding Molly Murphy mysteries as well as this one and enjoyed all of them. The characters are interesting and there are enough plot twists to keep the reader guessing.
Andrea
Upon reflection, I'd say this is more like 3.5 stars. The plot had a little too much going on, and it felt like it took odd turns. I'm not sure I liked where things ended up, and it felt like there were too many loose ends when I was done. Perhaps they will be tied up in future books?

I still really like the series, am enjoying them as audiobooks. In general, I put the whole series at 4 stars. Not great enough books to hit the 5 star mark but certainly better than 3. (I seldom give a 2 star or lo
Mark Baker
Irish immigrant Molly Murphy returns to Ireland on a job to find a missing relative. Unfortunately, she gets involved with a murder on board the boat taking her back to her native country. I normally love this historical series, but this one was up to par. The mystery was sacrificed in favor of the historical plot, which was good enough to redeem the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
diemmi147
Alas, Never have I expected anything dramatic to occur in Bowen's books. But it did and it stirred my heart a flutter. A fleeting love story between our dear Molly and a freedom-fighter Irish man. So charming, so sweet and so sad. Poor Daniel was sitting back home, glooming and moping. Oh, don't worry. It has nothing to do with cheating and such. Like I said, as "fleeting " as the wind goes by, carrying with it the fragrance of sweet flowers, giving us a nostalgic and somehow melancholic feeling ...more
J. Lynne
-------------------------- WARNING SERIES SPOILERS ----------------------------

I started out loving this series. I was convinced I had finally found another mystery-thriller pile of books that I could really sink my teeth in to. I'm not so sure this is the case anymore, unfortunately. It's amazing how much my enthusiasm for this series has waned.

I still adore Molly. She is one of the most endearing characters I've encountered. Her spunk and perseverance are truly spectacular. Her character is wo
Luffy Monkey D.
Here's an excerpt from In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries #4) In all, it's been a good read, and I was entertained and rewarded in persevering with this series. But there's something about the latter which makes me compelled to keep reading the books, even if I rate them a 1.

This book would be the third one consecutively to notch 3 stars. There's something unhealthy and unwholesome about this series, and who knows, this very writer. But the latter's novels are addicting as hell. Much as I'm
Spuddie
#6 in the Molly Murphy historical series set in early 1900's New York. This episode takes Molly back across the sea to her homeland, having been hired by a rich theatre producer to see if she can trace his long-lost sister. He hadn't known of her existence until his mother confessed on her deathbed that she had left the baby, who had become ill, in the care of a priest. There's little hope of finding the now-fifty-year-old woman, but the man is paying well, and Molly needs the money.

She also ne
Melliott
This one started out strong, got even better, and then the last few pages disappointed me. I guess with such a build-up, I wanted the ending to be less cursory. Not different, just more complete. Between one page and the next, we went from breathless high drama to "and that's what we did." The End. Did her editor call and demand she finish? Did she get bored with the build-up and just want it to be over? Not sure, but it would have been four stars...
Leslie
Fun adventure but again Molly solved the mysteries more by chance than investigative skill, but she is learning and getting better as a PI. It was fun to be in a new city for this book. However, I'm still frustrated that she hasn't been paid for a case she completed two books ago! She's brave in all things except demanding her fee. Oh well. Loved the fun and this one had A LOT of suspense!
Lam
I just happened to see this on the library shelf and couldn't resist a book that combined historical fiction, Irish immigrants to the US, and a look at Irish rebellion against the British in the early 1900, with a little bit of NYC theater milieu thrown in for good measure. Now I have to go back and read the earlier books in the series.
Argum
Molly takes a simple case tracking down a long lost sister in Ireland. Simple as usual is not Molly's lot in life and lots of drama ensues. The resolution to her original case was obvious in outline if not particular criminal, but the drama in Dublin and Molly's being back on soil where she is wanted are wonderful depictions to Ireland at the turn of the century.
Elia
This book was all over the place, and not in a good way. I felt like the story was so out of character and random. New characters kept coming and going, but yet didn't stick around long enough for me to care about them. Definintely didn't enjoy this as much as some others.
Benay P Stringer
Light reading but interesting

Light reading but interesting

Being of Irish ancestery, I enjoyed the historical aspects of this book as told by Mollie. Easy-to-read, the Molly series is an interesting and lighthearted read.
Lisa
Molly Murphy is a nice heroine. I think Rhys Bowen has done extensive research to hit this time period on the head as she does. Molly Murphy is definitely ready for a whirlwind of activity and whatever life throws her way. Makes for a great story
Diann
I'm not sure the mystery was quite as complex in this one. Or perhaps I've been reading too many mysteries recently and they're just starting to seem obvious. Regardless, seriously enjoyed this book. Could not put it down. Which was evident by the fact that I was up reading at 3 a.m.
Carol
Started out slowly but picked up. Loved reading about Irish history, even though the events were fictionalized stories based on actual occurrences. Molly returns to Ireland and reunites with her brothers and interacts with some famous people as she attempts some investigative work.
Jenny
Apr 30, 2009 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries/detective stories and/or historical settings
I am really loving this series. I have always like strong female heroines (think Buffy and Samantha from Bewitched!) and Molly Murphy fits the bill. She is even Irish to boot! Set in the early 1900s in New York, she is a amateur detective trying to make a living. In this book, she heads back to Ireland to find the missing sister of a wealthy New York man, and she finds herself caught up in a murder as well as Irish revolutionaries. These books are fun and easy to read, not terribly fast paced, b ...more
Jeff Dickison
Good Molly Murphy mystery as she must go to Ireland to find a missing sister of a friend. I know these Molly Murphy novels are not great literature, but I love 'em. Recommended to lovers of mysteries.
Another excellent historical mystery. I love how each entry in this series focuses on a particular aspect of that time-in this case it's the Irish fight for independence.
Full review here: http://sarahsbookjournal.wordpress.co...
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • Death at Dartmoor (Kathryn Ardleigh, #8)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
  • The Limehouse Text (Barker & Llewelyn, #3)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries #4)
  • Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)
Her Royal Spyness (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #1) A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2) Royal Blood (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #4) Royal Flush (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #3) Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1)