Gully's Travels

Gully's Travels

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"Tor Seidler writes in the great tradition of Kenneth Grahame, Walter R. Brooks, and E. B. White."-Michael Cart, Booklist

Published September 1st 2008 by Michael di Capua Books (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Gully's Travels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gully's Travels

Mari
Gulliver's snobbishness felt so grownup to me that I'm not sure a kid would enjoy reading this. I was also really disturbed at the way the adults in the book let the younger kids do things that I think are extremely "not OK" to do with animals (bounce them on a trampoline, bury them up to their necks in sand at the beach right near the water's edge, etc.).
Sam Bloom
I really, really enjoyed this; the only thing keeping at from a 5-star rating is some rather uneven pacing (slow and semi-boring at the beginning, picked up pace after somewhere around the 70-page mark). Gulliver is a posh, pampered dog living with his master, Dr. Rattigan, on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. His only concern is being able to one-up Rodney, whose master plays chess with Dr. Rattigan, in the fancy-schmancy department. But Gulliver's world is turned upside down when Dr. Rattigan has to gi...more
Erin Sterling
Gully is a snobby, purebred dog—a lhasa apso--who lives with a NYU professor in Manhattan and only associates with other purebred dogs, turning up his nose at mutts. He eats only Prime Premium dog food, travels to France each summer, and generally lives a plush life. When the professor leaves Gully at the house of their doorman Carlos because he marries a woman allergic to long-haired dogs, Gully goes into a culture shock of sorts. Forced to play with gregarious and overly enthusiastic children,...more
Pandora
A charming book about a dog - Gulliver who moves from a fashionable Manhatten apartment to Queens when his master gives him to his doorman. At frist Gulliver now Gully wants nothing to do with the doorman and his family but, in a series of adventures Gully learns lessons about what home and family really is.

The book is told in a warm loving tone. The story is akin to The Miraculos Journey of Edward Tulane but, with a lighter touch. Read the book quickly. Probably would had enjoy it more if I had...more
Janet
poor pampered pooch gets handed over to a rowdy crowded Brooklyn family after his professor falls in love with a lady who has allergies; has his own adventures and travels and has to learn to be on his own the hard way. Not sure there's a clear message here - except that even when everyone else abandons you, you learn to make do? I'll ask my daughters what they got out of it.
A cute tail (tale? tail? get it? ok, it's a bad joke) about a distinguished doggy who is suddenly thrust out of his owner's arms and into the ragged and rude (that's his opinion, at least) family of the doorman. It is then he learns his true place in the world.
Sure, I reccomend it. Not anything totally amazing, but it made me smile.
Vicki
Gulliver loves his life in Manhattan, until he is given to the doorman of his building family who live in Queens. There are other dogs, a cat, goldfish, and a gerbil JC. He is wretched and miserable and decides to leave on his own to find his way home. Good
Georgene
This was a great story, but some of the vocabulary would be challenging. I would recommend this for 3rd-5th graders who like stories with dogs that talk.
Joshua
Old-fashioned sweet readaloud in the vein of Cricket in Times Square... not something I see kids picking up though on their own unless they are very young?
Bridget
This was a very sweet story. I had a whole nice review written out and then failed to hit save. No patience to do it again. Give it a read; it's worth it!
Daria
This was a cute dog book. I am partial to dog books so I'm not sure if I liked it because it's a dog story or a good dog story.
Anita
Oh man this is one of those great books that's for kids AND adults. I love Gully! and I love his adventures!
(PS. I also <3 Astoria)
A very sweet easy chapter book with adorable illustrations. It's a fun book for dog lovers, both kids and adults.
Heather
Dec 28, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids ages 6-11
Shelves: child-fiction
This is a story about Manhattan dog snobbery. Quite funny, and would make a terrific read-aloud for young children.
Susan
Good early chapter book. I felt bad for poor Gulliver, though.... he had to deal with a lot of rejection.
Debbie McNeil
THE Most Popular Book!!!!!!!!!!!!.......of the New York City 55+Lhasa Apso CLub.
Karen
I am reading this becasue my nephew told me too. It's a hoot!
Alison Strumbeck
Another bittersweet story but very touching.
Nancy
Aug 25, 2010 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: For the young and young at heart!
Delightful book!
Anna
Anna added it
Jan 06, 2014
Mahra
Mahra added it
Nov 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
A Rat's Tale The Wainscott Weasel Toes Brainboy and the DeathMaster The Dulcimer Boy