Start by marking “Gully's Travels” as Want to Read:
Gully's Travels

Gully's Travels

"Tor Seidler writes in the great tradition of Kenneth Grahame, Walter R. Brooks, and E. B. White."-Michael Cart, Booklist

Published September 1st 2008 by Michael di Capua Books (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Gully's Travels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gully's Travels

Mar 23, 2012 Mari rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile, dogs
Gulliver's snobbishness felt so grownup to me that I'm not sure a kid would enjoy reading this. I was also really disturbed at the way the adults in the book let the younger kids do things that I think are extremely "not OK" to do with animals (bounce them on a trampoline, bury them up to their necks in sand at the beach right near the water's edge, etc.).
Gulliver is a high-falutin' lhasa apso much accustomed to a refined life of premium dog food, classical music, antique furnishings and annual jaunts to Paris with his master, Professor Rattigan. But the posh life comes to a crashing end when Dr. Rattigan decides to marry a woman allergic to dogs and Gulliver is (in his mind) unceremoniously dumped with the doorman's noisy family in hardscrabble Queens. Big and small degradations transform the once snooty Gulliver into a humbled, less narrow-mind ...more
Sam Bloom
Feb 16, 2009 Sam Bloom rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this; the only thing keeping at from a 5-star rating is some rather uneven pacing (slow and semi-boring at the beginning, picked up pace after somewhere around the 70-page mark). Gulliver is a posh, pampered dog living with his master, Dr. Rattigan, on 5th Avenue in Manhattan. His only concern is being able to one-up Rodney, whose master plays chess with Dr. Rattigan, in the fancy-schmancy department. But Gulliver's world is turned upside down when Dr. Rattigan has to gi ...more
Erin Sterling
Gully is a snobby, purebred dog—a lhasa apso--who lives with a NYU professor in Manhattan and only associates with other purebred dogs, turning up his nose at mutts. He eats only Prime Premium dog food, travels to France each summer, and generally lives a plush life. When the professor leaves Gully at the house of their doorman Carlos because he marries a woman allergic to long-haired dogs, Gully goes into a culture shock of sorts. Forced to play with gregarious and overly enthusiastic children, ...more
Jane Reid
Jun 10, 2015 Jane Reid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This fun story about a dog is an exploration of love & real living. This dog has quite an adventure and learns to distinguish real love from the artificial.
Jun 10, 2010 Pandora rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A charming book about a dog - Gulliver who moves from a fashionable Manhatten apartment to Queens when his master gives him to his doorman. At frist Gulliver now Gully wants nothing to do with the doorman and his family but, in a series of adventures Gully learns lessons about what home and family really is.

The book is told in a warm loving tone. The story is akin to The Miraculos Journey of Edward Tulane but, with a lighter touch. Read the book quickly. Probably would had enjoy it more if I had
Amy Savino
Apr 22, 2015 Amy Savino rated it really liked it
I read this to my son over a period of time. Was a very cute book, we both enjoyed it!
Jan 16, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
poor pampered pooch gets handed over to a rowdy crowded Brooklyn family after his professor falls in love with a lady who has allergies; has his own adventures and travels and has to learn to be on his own the hard way. Not sure there's a clear message here - except that even when everyone else abandons you, you learn to make do? I'll ask my daughters what they got out of it.
Mar 03, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
A cute tail (tale? tail? get it? ok, it's a bad joke) about a distinguished doggy who is suddenly thrust out of his owner's arms and into the ragged and rude (that's his opinion, at least) family of the doorman. It is then he learns his true place in the world.
Sure, I reccomend it. Not anything totally amazing, but it made me smile.
May 09, 2012 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter
Gulliver loves his life in Manhattan, until he is given to the doorman of his building family who live in Queens. There are other dogs, a cat, goldfish, and a gerbil JC. He is wretched and miserable and decides to leave on his own to find his way home. Good
Feb 03, 2010 Georgene rated it really liked it
This was a great story, but some of the vocabulary would be challenging. I would recommend this for 3rd-5th graders who like stories with dogs that talk.
Josh Newhouse
Dec 12, 2010 Josh Newhouse rated it liked it
Old-fashioned sweet readaloud in the vein of Cricket in Times Square... not something I see kids picking up though on their own unless they are very young?
Jul 21, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing
This was a very sweet story. I had a whole nice review written out and then failed to hit save. No patience to do it again. Give it a read; it's worth it!
May 26, 2009 Daria rated it really liked it
This was a cute dog book. I am partial to dog books so I'm not sure if I liked it because it's a dog story or a good dog story.
Aug 28, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
Oh man this is one of those great books that's for kids AND adults. I love Gully! and I love his adventures!
(PS. I also <3 Astoria)
Dec 06, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-books
A very sweet easy chapter book with adorable illustrations. It's a fun book for dog lovers, both kids and adults.
Jul 13, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids ages 6-11
Shelves: child-fiction
This is a story about Manhattan dog snobbery. Quite funny, and would make a terrific read-aloud for young children.
May 18, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Good early chapter book. I felt bad for poor Gulliver, though.... he had to deal with a lot of rejection.
Debbie McNeil
Mar 06, 2011 Debbie McNeil rated it liked it
THE Most Popular Book!!!!!!!!!!!!.......of the New York City 55+Lhasa Apso CLub.
Jul 29, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
I am reading this becasue my nephew told me too. It's a hoot!
Alison Strumbeck
Jul 30, 2011 Alison Strumbeck rated it it was amazing
Another bittersweet story but very touching.
Aug 25, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: For the young and young at heart!
Delightful book!
Kaylan rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Amyk added it
Sep 25, 2016
Noa marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
David rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Katie Lochte
Katie Lochte marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Rose Prust
Rose Prust marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Audrey added it
Aug 04, 2016
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016