Start by marking “The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)

The Chase (The Forbidden Game #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,960 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Moving on to its second chilling volume, The Forbidden Game trilogy by the bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle offers teens the psychological suspense they crave.
Published May 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chase

(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Jenny and her friends thought they’d won the game, but with the game missing, and Julian possibly on the loose, are any of them really safe? Or is this just the pause before a new game begins?

This was a great second instalment in this paranormal trilogy.
I love the way Julian always aims big, he doesn’t just want Jenny, he wants to make sure that her friends suffer too!
I loved the little clues, even the ones that didn’t make sense, and Julian. Oh my! Julian I
Keertana
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I have to admit, I thought The Chase was headed down the path of that book. You know, the Second-Book-in-a-Trilogy Syndrome where the middle novel drags and becomes unusually boring. Thankfully, Smith managed to turn that around and prove me wrong a little before the half-way mark and I'm glad to report that I found myself more spooked, more frightened, and more terrified by this fantastic sequel.

The Chase picks up right where The Hunter left off as Jenny, Tom, Audrey, De
Abbie
I thought this one was the one i found better than the first, but it must have been the third i was thinking about, as this one wasn't quite as amazing as The Hunter.

The characters were still really good.
I don't know how they've managed to get through everything that's happened, without having a complete breakdown.
Julian wouldn't give up, even if they did end up in a psychiatric hospital though!

Overall, a great read, just not as great as the first.
Jenna
Just as I thought, I was horribly terrified! Just when I thought it was finally over, Julian seems to be hanging up by the moment, still hung up on Jenny. Tsk! I’m like “Just get over her man! gosh!” he’s killing me!!!! At first, I was also thrilled about Julian, I can’t think darkness is him or stuff, I think he was gorgeous etc. But then right in the middle of The Chase, I just woke up and was disgusted with him. I’m sorry ladies, but it just happened. I’m team TOM! (I never thought changing t ...more
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
After trapping Julian in his own shadow world, Jenny hoped that he would never return. What she didn’t count on however, was the game being stolen and the two teenage thieves managing to free the Shadow Man. Now Julian is back and this time he’s angry…

Jenny is offered the chance to play a new game, lambs and monsters. The lambs are Jenny and her friends and they don’t stand a chance against Julian and his shadow creatures, the creeper and the lurker. One by one, Jenny’s friends are being captur
Perfection *Sherlock's Girl*
If I could give this book 6 stars I would.
Every single character outdid her/himself. Even Tom seemed less 2-D. He actually showed some strength of character. I finally saw a hint of what Jenny saw in him.
Jenny herself was BRILLIANT. Better than book 1 even. Dee, Audrey, Michael, even Zach were great.
But Julian. Oh god, he was sinister in this. Far more evil than book 1. He actually seemed like shadows and darkness come to life.
(view spoiler)
Megan
Book 2 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

This time The Game is “lambs and monsters.” Two kids stole the paper doll house game at the end of The Hunter (P.C. and Slug)… they let Julian free after Jenny had trapped him with a rune for restraint. Now Julian is back and willing to do anything to make Jenny keep her promise to him that she is his for all et
Fantasy Literature
Well, I do have to thank the TWILIGHT phenomena for one thing at least, and that's that the collected trilogies of Lisa Jane Smith have been pulled out of the Simon and Schuster publishing vault, given brand spanking new covers, and re-released for both a new reading audience, and old-time fans who are ready to fill in the gaps on their bookshelves.

Out of all Smith's body of work, it was The Forbidden Game that I was least familiar with. First published as a trilogy, the middle book was on the s
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Sep 05, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
The gang is back again and this time instead of being hunted... they are being chased!

Ok.. that's kind of the same thing but now they know that Jullian is after them.

The paperhouse isn't around but Jullian still is. IT's time to go back into the Shadow World and play a game. Jullian loves to play games.

This time he wants to play Lambs and Monsters. He's the Monster and you guessed it... everyone else is the lambs.

Jenny of course has to figure out a way to rescue her friends. But can she do it?
Diana lullaby
So in this second game, it is more of like a chasing game. The shadow man aka Julian, will get Jenny's friends one by one. With a time limit, Jenny has to find Julian's base where her friends are kept before he finds her.

I'm definitely enjoying their mysterious romance. What is it with Julian that makes him seem so beautiful and dangerous at the same time. oh right, he is a devil afterall. Strange that he loves Jenny. Are devils even capable of love?
I keep wondering about that.

Interesting book.
Maddycat123
I liked the whole trilogy and love this book but hate the covers the only thing i did not like in this book is that not much happens until Julian appears and he does not appear in a long time
Nadia (Potato On A Stick)
This book revolves with the gang going after Julian, again, but the story doesn't get interesting until chapter ten from what I recall. There were no real action this time around, unlike the previous one, since Jenny doesn't get to the base until last minute. I think this wanted to show the romantic tension among the love triangle. I still enjoyed reading it, but thought the first one was better.

Look at this cover.

Now tell me why Julian looks like an evil vampire from the 80s, I'm confused.
Jen
Originally Published On My Review Blog

In "The Chase", the second novel in the The Forbidden Game Series by L.J. Smith, Jenny and her friends think they have escaped the mysterious Shadow Man Julian. Little do they know that the intruders that took the game at the end of "The Hunter" are already trying to figure out what it is. When they release Julian - whether on purpose or not - Jenny, Tom, Dee, Audrey, Zach and Mike have to watch their every step. Julian is back, and he wants to play a game.

I
Comicfairy (Leanne)
One of my faves as a kid growing up. Julian is probably the most memorable male character from ANY book I've read. Also, the occult and mystic aspects have a very unique slant to them (including Norse runic elements), as does the obsession Julian has for Jenny, whom he has shadowed since her childhood. Smith heavily researches her topics and it's admirable; this is evident in many of her series including my favorite "Secret Circle" books. All Smith books are entertaining for women of any age!
Marina
THIS SERIES IS SO GOOD! and I'm absolutely excited for the last book.
I love the whole concept of 'the games'.
and Dee is a frickin' badass, I love this character so much.
Jenny herself is not that likeable in my opinion, but she's not annoying or anything like that, she's just not that ineresting herself, even though she is the main character.
I could definitely understand what Tom was trying to do in this book and I really appreciate it. I think Tom is a really sweet character and he tries his bes
Jessica
This is one of the books that absolutely fascinated me as a kid (and undoubtedly contributed to my obsession with the Byronic hero/ine). Some of it's kind of over the top, but the way L.J. Smith weaves together mythology, fairy tales, fantasy, and good old-fashioned sexy teenage angst makes for a great story. I'm still pretty attached to the series, and I read it from time to time. I get all worked up in the same places every single time.
RiRi
Have read from the Forbidden Game Trilogy
faeriemyst
I'm probably being a bit generous with three stars, but it wasn't a completely horrible book, but could be a bit boring for such a short book.
Cindy
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great – You have no power over me.

I swear, If Jenny had uttered those beautiful words to Julian he would've disappeared forever (much to my dismay).
This is what Labyrinth would have been like if Jareth was a sadistic teenager who hated losing.

Anyhow, if that quote up there sounds at all familiar to you, and if you loved that movie a
Krystian Wente
Again, loved this book! Especially reading it late at night in the dark ;)
Connie
After the paper house that contained their worst nightmare was stolen before it could be destroyed, Jenny and her friends set out to find it while fighting off accusations that they were responsible for the death of their friend, Summer, of course nobody believes that a sexy shadow man named Julian killed her. But while facing this, they also have to try and maintain their friendships and relationships which becomes too much for Jenny and Tom who can't deal with the idea of Jenny and Julian. But ...more
Ridley {Paperland}
Wow. Esto ha sido sorprendente. Es aun mejor que el primer libro. Mientras lo leia podía sentir las sensaciones exactamente como las sentian los personajes. El miedo, la adrenalina de huir antes de que algo muy malo te atrape, esa alerta que te da sentirte observada...
Los personajes... oh, han evolucionado mucho. Mucho. Y es por eso que esto tiene 5 estrellas. L.J.Smith no solo hizo escenas emocionantes, tambien hizo que estos personajes evolucionaran, que se pueda saber mas sobre sus miedos, su
Jenn
I had really high hopes for this book. I read the First Book in The Forbidden Game Series in roughly two days and was very eager to plunge head first into this book.

I found that the book did not meet my expectations. It was more of a story that explained the after story. The story on its own for the new game that Julian had created had not be introduced until around the end of Chapter 9. And the actual "chase" did not begin until Chapter 11.

I think everything before Chapter 9 wasn't really wor
Veronica Morfi
Rating: 3/5

In the second book of The Forbidden Game Trilogy, Jenny and her friends are trying to get back to their normal lives after the first game. Everyone has changed after what Julian made them go through, especially Jenny, who finds herself without the usual protection of her boyfriend, Tom. They all believe that Julian is locked away in his Shadow World, but after they are visit by terrible nightmares they realize they can ignore the truth anymore. Julian is out of his game and he was Jen
Maija
I didnt enjoy reading this sequel as much as I enjoyed reading the first book of Smiths forbidden game series.
The book startet a little slow... tells the recent events after the group came back without Summer. While they pretend to take part in the search for Jenny and Dee finally retrieve the dollhouse. It takes nearly half of the book till the storry is gathering speed when Julian shows up the first time (one of his rare appearances) and offers Jenny a second game.
While Jenny claims all the w
Johnp
Book 2 in this series continues the battle between Jenny and Julian (no surprise).

In this adventure, two kids stumble upon the Game and somehow manage to let Julian out. So much for thinking that he was safely put away! What follows is a series of creepy stalkings by Julian's "pets" that put Jenny's friends in danger.

I have to say I was not as impressed with this one. Tom, her boyfriend, was just too moody and whiny. So, OK, your girlfriend is bethrothed to a Satanic magician who makes her melt
Federica
Il gioco continua: agnelli contro mostri

La storia,in questo secondo volume va decisamente migliorando,ma troppi interrogativi restano ancora aperti,uno su tutti,vorrei sapere perché Julian vuole così disperatamente per se Jenny.
Ho notato che la scrittrice riprende il concetto del potere della mente e delle illusioni,già incontrato nella serie Dark Vision;nel primo volume i 7 ragazzi hanno dovuto affrontare le loro più terribili paure divenute realtà all’interno della casa di carta, in questo sec
Meg
I started reading this series because I had been lead to believe that there were certain similarities between Julian and Jareth from Labyrinth - I wasn't disappointed. However, I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of character development. I don't feel like I know any of the characters, even by the end of the second book, so I don't particularly care what happens to them. I'm intrigued enough to continue reading and find out more about Julian and what makes him tick. He didn't come in until h ...more
Carie
3.5 for this one. It’s a fun sequel to THE HUNTER. I’m still digging Julian, though I know I really shouldn’t. Tom is still somewhat annoying and occasionally stubborn/domineering (does he really dictate what Jenny wears to prom?!), but he was better in this book. I found myself at least rooting for Tom at times, though I really hope he continues to improve--for Jenny’s sake (and ours!). (But, I guess she loves him just as he is, so who am I to complain?!) Scary stuff here again and some surpris ...more
Rory
This book is in someways more twisted than the other books... The characters are reeling from the death of one of their own--but a larger problem as come into play as somehow Julian and his sidekicks have crossed into their world. A new game is in play and nowhere and no one is safe.

This book deals well with the idea of how people might react after such dramatic events such as in the first book. The characters become stronger, more defined and likable in their own ways. I forgot much of this st
  • The Dance (Final Friends, #2)
  • Heart of the Hunter (Fear Street Sagas, #9)
  • Horrorscape (Horrorscape, #2)
  • The Yearbook
  • Silent Stalker
  • Crimson Night
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Coyote Moon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1, #3)
  • Czar (Impossible, #8)
  • The Last Good Knight (The Last Good Knight, #1-5)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Forbidden Game (3 books)
  • The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)
  • The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)
The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) Night World, No. 3 (Night World, #7-9) Origins (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #1) Night World, No. 2 (Night World, #4-6) Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)

“Love and death are everything, Jenny. Danger is the best part of the game. I thought you knew that."
-Julian”
101 likes
“War and hunting and chasing-that's all there is. That's life, Jenny-no one can escape it.” 39 likes