The News About the News: American Journalism in Peril

The News About the News: American Journalism in Peril

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Freedom of the press is a primary American value. Good journalism builds communities, arms citizens with important information, and serves as a public watchdog for civic, national, and global issues. But what happens when the news turns its back on its public role?

Leonard Downie Jr., executive editor of The Washington Post, and Robert G. Kaiser, associate editor and senio...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Vintage (first published 2002)

Barnacle
Dec 28, 2007 Barnacle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: politics
I read this book at a time when I was also reading a lot of newspapers, and also feeling like " what is the point of reading this crap".

The book sets out a good timeline of the demimse of journalism in the United States, paralleling it with the rise in corporate take over of our news companies.

I hope that this book would be more read in the future, as it is a good eye opener, and clear acknowlegement of the affects of the "for profit" era that everyone mine and my parents age has been living t...more
Dave
This book seems quaint now. It was written during a time when the possibility of newspapers and traditional journalism might still have a viable long-term future, it has been more or less overshadowed by web technology and the change that wrought in information-sharing. Still an interesting look at what made news gathering different than other sources of writing and entertainment, but I'm not sure it has a whole lot of prescriptive value any more.
Stephanie
Provides a great analysis of how big companies and the bottom line have put journalism in peril.
Megan
A little pessimistic, but a good journalism book
Katie
Redundant.
Ellen
Jul 20, 2007 Ellen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People unlike my sister because they might finish it
Shelves: worstever
LAME
Lycanthropic
Lycanthropic marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Megan Loibl
Megan Loibl marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
LaShaun
LaShaun marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Jennifer Delaney
Jennifer Delaney marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Kristi
Kristi is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Sarah Binder
Sarah Binder marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Gmedina
Gmedina marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
David M.
David M. marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Rules of the Game The New Muckrakers Justice Denied:  The Case for Reform of the Courts