Start by marking “The Mc Kinsey Way Using The Techniques Of The World's Top Strategic Consultants To Help You And Your Business” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  1,082 ratings  ·  83 reviews
"If more business books were as useful, concise, and just plain fun to read as THE MCKINSEY WAY, the business world would be a better place." --Julie Bick, best-selling author of ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IN BUSINESS I LEARNED AT MICROSOFT."Enlivened by witty anecdotes, THE MCKINSEY WAY contains valuable lessons on widely diverse topics such as marketing, interviewing, tea ...more
Published (first published February 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Mc Kinsey Way Using The Techniques Of The World's Top Strategic Consultants To Help You And Your Business

Ahmed Bin Madhi أحمد بن ماضي

Pros:

- Simple language, very accessible and follows a logical flow of topics

- Short. You can read it in a short/mid flight (not that I did:)

- Structured approach for many commonsensical things business professionals naturally do (some may see this as a con)

- Some useful tips here and there (e.g. interviewing tips)

Cons:

- Not much insight as one would expect from the book title.. no mind blowing/eye opening revelations about McKinsey’s inner workings

- Too generalist (though I believe one should no
Boyd Coleman
This is the most worthless book ever written. Some of the McKinsey wisdom:

Put charts in you presentations to display data. Really!?

A good assistant is priceless. I was thinking of someday getting an awful one.

Don't become a work-a-holic? hmmmm.....

Every problem has 3 causes and 3 solutions. That would make solving problems easier. If only it were true! That's not how you solve problems, that's how you sell solutions to clients! Consultants suck.

I hope for nobody else to waste their money on this
TarasProkopyuk
Книги от действующих и бывших партнёров McKinsey подобны огню принесённых Прометеем для людей из Олимпа, и эта не исключение.

McKinsey это одна из колыбелей где рождаются и задаются стандарты ведения и управления бизнес процессов и бизнеса в целом.

Эта книга будет очень полезна не только для людей и компаний, которые работают в консалтинговом бизнесе. Знания, принципы, ценности и методы роботы одной из самых известных консалтинговых компаний можно и обязательно нужно перенести в свой бизнес.
Suhrob
This book has:

1. lots of trivial advice (be organized, use charts...)
2. tiny bits of interesting (but not world-shattering) concepts (e.g. MECE) described in a shallow enough detail so that it won't help you all that much
3. McKinsey-ites work long hours*. You'll hear that on every second page.
4. mixture of boring business stories with occasional glances of the borderline sociopathic business power-player archetype.

There are also bits that are clearly incorrect, mostly when he tries to branch ou
Antonina Sh
This is the first book I started my digging into consulting industry with - and I think I made the right choice. A very fast and easy reading, I'd say even fascinating. Great for the starters, to give you a general insight into the industry and how it works. Actually, I guess anyone in business management/corporate world would find something useful to get out of it. Some really helpful advise and tips.
It helped me understand what I really want to do, and where to start. That being said, I'll pr
Ricardo
This must be interesting for anyone interested in consulting. The author goes about describing how it is to work for this company, how it is all fact-based and how most consultants are very intelligent and work hard. This is fair and probably useful for those.
However it is disturbing that being so intelligent, he does not dare to step the the following level of thinking and provide some stronger appraisal of what it is REALLY like working for the company. A first shortcoming is the repetition of
Rajesh
Essentially doesnt offer too much insight into the tools that make McConsulting so valued. However, it is a very simple read touting the basic tenets of problem solving, the lifestyle of a consultant, the "firm"'s ethos touched upon on a superficial basis. Takeaways...MECE, information flow, doing the best one can within time and resource limits, hypothesis driven approaches etc.
Prashant
This book could be your preliminary coursework on How to be a Consultant?
Very lucidly written and replete with example from the company itself this book is indispensable if you want to know the life about the life of a consultant.
Eric T.
Not a bad book necessarily, but I think its utility is limited for many people. Almost exclusively written through the perspective of the management consultant, its tone and contents are rather elitist at times.

As far as the advice goes, there are several highlights. These areas include hypohesis-driven problem solving, "don't reinvent the wheel", brainstorming, conducting interviews, obtaining organizational buy-in, and pre-wiring presentations for success. These concepts are certainly non-aca
Coan
While the book isn't ground breaking, I found it quite well written and easy to read. If you've done an MBA or similar studies, there isn't much new here. However I did find the insights of 'the Firm' very interesting in terms of how it operates. For those who want a holiday read but want to feel productive at the same time.

However, if you haven't done any advanced studies in business operations or management, then this book may be an excellent gateway book for you. It covers matters such as ide
Ben
This is basically the Bible at my job for managers. I read it because I've been craving some sort of business/management/leadership advice, and work wasn't filling the craving all the way.

The McKinsey Way tells about the specific methods McKinsey Consulting uses when solving business problems, how to deal with clients and travel and how to manage your life while you're doing it.

I'm an engineer, so I went to school to learn how to solve problems, and have been working solving business problems b
Agoes
Penulis buku ini berusaha untuk mengemukakan seperti apa pola pikir dan metode pemecahan masalah yang digunakan dalam sebuah perusahaan konsultan manajemen sekelas McKinsey. Ini tema yang menarik, namun sayangnya materi yang disampaikan oleh penulis terasa kurang menarik dan cukup banyak yang sudah diketahui lewat kuliah ataupun berdasarkan common sense.

Permasalahan lain dari buku ini adalah perbedaan jaman yang sudah cukup jauh. Saat buku ini diterbitkan (1999), perkembangan internet belum sema
Sidhartha Barik
This is must for all MBA students. The book provides a great insight to what and how things are done in one of the greatest consultancy firm in the whole world.

Ethan being one of the former employees brings in his book, the same level of quality that is there in McKinsey. This is, clear and well structured, mutually exclusive, to the point & concise. The book is structured in 5 parts, first 3 says, how to approach a problem, work on it and then sell it to client.(however Ethan repeatedly say
Kanti Brahma
Business problems are known to be higly complex and organic. The McKinsey Way highlights how simple methods can be and infact are deployed to crack the complexity of business problems. The book explains how to start, where to start, how to approach, how to arrive at conclusion and where to compromise and how to make your suggestions acceptable to the clients.
Ethan's simple and lucid illustration, logical structure makes the book an easy read. The book is like a consulting bootcamp that teaches
John Jamison
Quite a narrow handbook, but good brain food for anyone going into professional services. Although you may not work in a company that is run in this way (I hardly think that McKinsey itself still follows all of these tips), there are several practical ideas that you'll find yourself highlighting and referring to before your next pitch meeting.
Vimal
Hmmm , It was interesting to pick the book with big brand of " Mckinsey Way" .

I had lot of expectation with this book on business problem solving but book failed to do it. If you are just management graduate , it may found interesting but for the experienced professional its just normal guidelines.

I would love to rate it higher side if Rasiel has added some tools / technics / Models in this book . It may be because of confidentiality agreement with Mckinsey , he has not added it in the part .
Mugdha
One of my favourite business books and it remains interesting even after multiple readings. Most suitable for someone in the field of Sales, Business Analysis and Consulting ofcourse. Lucid language, clear action points and relevant examples makes this book a must-have on any professional's book shelf.
Jadezzz
After reading through the book, I find it talked mainly about what people already know about McKinsey and consulting. It does cover the job consultants do in McKinsey, however, no deep analysis into any topic. If a comment is needed, I have to say that I have hoped a more informative book before.
Eric
The McKinsey Way is a great introductory book that outlines some of the core methodologies as well as lessons from the Firm.
It is a fun and quick read, loaded with real examples from the days author spent at the Firm.
Towards the end however, especially around book IV, things get a bit too general and examples sourced from the same individuals. But to be fair to the author, unless a formal research is conducted over many years, repeats and overlaps can only be expected regardless of how proficie
Nikolaos
A very packed list of guidelines regarding the Firm, consulting and working in intense corporate environment in general. It was a page turner and it made me feel a better person as I was thinking about its content, thus inspiring in its own way.
Satyabrat Mishra
The McKinesy Way is a short treatise on how Mckinsey function, the Mckinsey way of identifying and solving problems.

Written by Ethan M. Rasiel in a very easy and readable manner, this book is a gem. Anyone, irrespective of where they work and whatever the nature of their job can benefit from the tit bits stored in the book.

Recommendation level : Absolutely
Harish
Good read for people who are interested to know about consultants and their practice. Though I wanted more in-depth information of consulting practice, this is at least a start.
Yiye
The ideas weren't as thought-provoking as I expected them to be. Probably it has been too long since it was written, and lots of knowledge has been shared in this industry.
Mitesh
Very concise guide to things that'd help build a career in McKinsey and equally applicable to a career in consulting, or, by extension to any professinal services jobs.
Randa Ahmed
Nothing really new just how Mckinsy works not much details is found on how they solve problems just how they conduct and implement a strategy and how they work with clients
For me it was a waste of time reading it.
Ricardo Campos
A book that every consultant should read and use in their everyday work. Good advice on the structure of the thought process involved in solving problems. A good read overall
Mohan
A book with a little more deep dive into McKinsey strategy than McKinsey Mind but focused well on how to present and get a buy in from your clients. Good read.
Kiran shetty
Nice for consultants especially if you are new to consulting. Structured well and can read each chapter independently
Rajsekhar Vavilapalli
How Mckinsey works, and how a daily life of consultant would be is explained. Simple and short but lacks in depth analysis of topics discussed. Must read for MBA's.
Gokul Alex
Very good read. Authentic narrative. A lot of examples and consulting tips by example.
  • The McKinsey Engagement: Insider Secrets to the Tools and Techniques Used by the World's Top Consulting Firm
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Say It with Charts
  • The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • New Rules for the New Economy
The McKinsey Mind: Understanding and Implementing the Problem-Solving Tools and Management Techniques of the World's Top Secret Consulting Makkinzēshiki Sekai Saikyō No Mondai Kaiketsu Tekunikku Makkinzēshiki Sekai Saikyō No Shigotojutsu McKinsey Management Techniques (EBOOK)

“Does every aspect of the problem come under one (and only one) of these issues—that is, have you thought of everything? If so, then your issues are collectively exhaustive.” 0 likes
“Don’t try to pound them into your framework like square pegs into round holes.” 0 likes