Start by marking “Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Cruise into murder, mayhem, and alternate realities. Award-winning author Pat Murphy takes us aboard a luxury cruise ship and into the strange confluence of time and space known as the Bermuda Triangle.

Susan Galina and her friend Pat are relaxing on a luxury cruise ship heading from New York to Europe via Bermuda. Trouble begins when one of the passengers, author Max Merri
Audio CD
Published August 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell

Jeffrey Paris [was Infinite Tasks]
A finely-crafted science-fiction adventure story about writing a science-fiction adventure story, in which a recently divorced librarian take a cross-Atlantic cruise and sheds her inner good girl, with some help from her best friend "Pat Murphy," a sci-fi writer named Max Merriwell, and the dreamt up authors of his own novels, Mary Maxwell and Weldon Merrimax. All this, with a healthy dose of (easily comprehended) quantum physics, multiple possibilities made co-present through the imagination, U ...more
Wealhtheow
Apr 25, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Cait
Shelves: didn-t_finish
Shy redhead Susan and her quirky best friend Pat win a trip aboard a cruise ship. She meets a cute sailor and her favorite author--but then! A mysterious murder! Oh my! I gave up about 30 pages in. The writing was just too excrutiatingly clunky to read. Here is the ending of the first chapter:
"It was shaping up to be an interesting cruise, he thought happily. He was looking forward to meeting Max Merriwell; he was looking forward to seeing what, if anything, developed between Tom and the redhead
Laurie
Dying for a book to read, I picked this out from the Maplewood train station "library" because the title caught my eye, and I am giving this book 5 stars simply because it is a great story. It's the sort of book you race through to find out what is going to happen but at the same time hold on to every delicious moment. The writing is not good, clunky and even amateur at times, but again, the story holds its own. Reminiscent of "Sophie's World" where nobody is who they seem to be and characters c ...more
Ty
The bizarre, twisting and turning plot is at times philosophical speculation, at times scientific observation, and at times a suspense/romance adventure. Which makes this novel, though at times slow in pace and a bit repetitive, quite the enjoyable, thought provoking read.

Not only will you find yourself intrigued by the action of the piece, but also by the high scientific concepts that the author places into the everyday adventures of mostly ordinary people.

She even throws in advice, through one
Debbie
A really long title for a really good book. This is a quick and fun read, but it also made me think as well. Though granted, I did skim through some of the more scientific stuff. Despite that, it wasn't dense at all. It was a murder mystery on a cruise ship with imaginary people walking around. The premise is *really* interesting, especially after I poked around the author's webpage and read the reasoning behind this book. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did but the last few chapters ...more
Dave
Sep 24, 2008 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy metafiction, allusions and self-rference in extreme fantasy / science fiction.
Recommended to Dave by: Off hand selection from library
Shelves: fiction-read
I'm still feeling queasy so I'm listening to distracting fiction.

This book is apparently the third in a trilogy that I may want to go back and check the first books from. It's a self-referential romp in metafiction. Sort of reminds me of Jasper Fforde's books and the old TV series Moonlighting with a dash of Dr. Who, Douglas Adams and the Star Trek Franchise re-imagined by the first cast of Saturday Night Live. It starts out as only somewhat melodramatic with hints of post modernist word and pl
Shelley
I love books based on quantum physics. Love!! It was such a pleasant surprise to realize that this was one such book. Fantastic and trippy and clever. It's apparently the third in an increasingly mind-bending loose trilogy of sorts (the author, Pat Murphy, has written a book as her character Max Merriwell and another as Max Merriwell writing as Mary Murphy) and is now a character in her own book with not only the characters who are the pen names above, but the other characters she created for th ...more
Quizmo
Lessons in physics, the law of attraction, and "what you think is what you get." Good story!
Cait
Aug 24, 2008 Cait rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy fun with meta
This book was frivolous, predictable, and a heck of a lot of fun! Also, it reminded me how much I love Wild Angel, so I went and re-read that one Friday night. I'll have to get my hands on There and Back Again, the third book in this not-actually-a-series, one of these days....
Kate
A crazy ride, but that's what you get when you mix a professional author, a cruise ship, and quantum physics! I enjoyed this book very much. The surface story is not that exciting (recent divorcee wins a cruise and goes with her quirky alone friend, meets boy, falls in love, etc.), but all the stuff that happens around that story, like fictional characters and events becoming real, the author laughingly inserting herself (several times) into the story as different characters, all combine for a e ...more
Tracy
A great read, all about leaving constraint behind you and opening your mind long enough for things to happen. Also Flaming Rum Monkeys. And very catchy music. And shipboard romance! And physics!! I reread it every couple of years and anybody who is an author should read it just for the fun of pen names come alive.
Bandit
This was surprisingly enjoyable, despite the fact that I normally stay away from sci-fi. It sort of reminded me of the movie Inception with the whole "dream within a dream" thing. It's a lot to do with quantum psychics and the concepts are explained throughout the novel, refreshingly approachable and comprehensive. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick fun wacky read, regardless of genre.
Trever
Still a favorite after multiple readings. The lightweight fluffiness of the story disguises its brain-bending recursiveness and abstract concepts of reality. Unlike any other books that I've read, it's a little bit of everything - Science fiction, mystery, horror, romance, travel. The best compliment I can give it is to say that this was a cruise that I really wish I had been on.
Melanie
Cruise ship and Quantum Mechanics, Writer whose pseudonyms appear as real people. Unemployed librarian and ship's security officer trying to solve mystery. Another great Pat Murphy. Should have read her Wild Angel first. That with There and Back again are a trilogy of sorts.
Erick
I loved Pat Murphy's sci-fi retelling of the hobbit, but this book was nowhere near as good. The concept was clever--a writer's pen names coming to life on a cruise in the Bermuda Triangle--but the plotting was slow and nothing much happened until the end.
Josh
I'd never heard of this author before, but now I'm hoping to read more of her books. This book was fun to read and the author certainly didn't take it too seriously, which made it silly in parts, but good overall.
Tlnorz
I listened to this book in an MP3 format while exercising so maybe my view of the book is tainted. It was okay, but just okay. Maybe I would have liked it more if I had been suffering less while I listened to it.
☯Bettie☯

Unabridged. Read by Johanna Ward.

Blurb: Cruise into murder, mayhem, and alternate realities.

Award-winning author Pat Murphy takes us aboard a luxury cruise ship and into the strange confluence of time and space known as the Bermuda Triangle, in an engaging science-fiction romp that recalls the work of Kate Wilhelm.

Susan Galina and her friend Pat have escaped their normal lives into the elegant, isolated world of the Odyssey, a luxury cruise ship heading from New York to Europe via Bermuda. Pat
Mace
I loved this book. It's one of the those books where the less you know about it, the more you're going to enjoy it, so if you like barely sci-fi-ish books, just read it.
Mary-Beth
Jul 20, 2014 Mary-Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
will try later
Cody
A fun, but easy read. I like the fact that it explores some aspects of quantum physics which adds to the enjoyment. What is reality?
Terry
Put my two favorite things together - cruises and alternate realities - and you get this book!!!
ERNEST MORE
Sorry to all the fans...but I thought this book was terrible. I listened to the audiobook.
Lynne
This is a great exploration of concepts in physics, legends, and human relationships.
Doug
I really enjoyed this novel. I especially enjoy the physics behind it.
Cajun97
Jul 15, 2008 Cajun97 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Want to listen to Audiobook at Thrall. Bermuda Triangle.
Meredith Sessions
Meta. That was the really fun part. Delightful.
Becky
SOS - can you hear me?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Wild Girls The Falling Woman The City, Not Long After There and Back Again Nadya