Start by marking “Witchlight (Night World, #9)” as Want to Read:
Witchlight (Night World, #9)

Witchlight (Night World #9)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  3,426 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Keller is a black panther. A least when she's not being a tough, no-nonsense seventeen-year-old girl. She's a shapeshifter who grew up on the streets and will do whatever it takes to survive. But when Circle Daybreak hires her to protect a new Wild Power, Keller meets her match.
Published January 1998 by Archway Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Witchlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchlight

Kushnuma
Sep 11, 2015 Kushnuma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witchlight is book 9 in the Night World series.

We finally see that the dragons are waking up but they're not on Circle Daybreak's side. And who is the "witch who isn't a witch"?????

Now I can't wait for Strange Fate to be released! People have been waiting for more than 15 years for the book!
Desiree *~*~* LiveReadCollect
4.5 stars.

A half-shapeshifter, a witch, and a vampire walk into a mall...it sounds like the start of a bad joke but it's actually the start of this book which was anything but bad.

Keller is a half-shapeshifter, she and her two other friends/partners a witch and vampire, are a part of Circle Daybreak and are on the trail of the third Wild Power, Iliana Harman, who is also the lost Witch Child. The WP has been tracked down to a mall, however the Night World is also hot on the WP's trail.

A fight
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 Sakura Koneko rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
Shelves: favorites
The final (not really, but since the real final book hasn't come out, this is pretty much what this one has to be referred to as) book in the Night World series.

This book again goes into the Wild Powers topic, showing the importance of them in order to save the world.

This book added a lot more interesting races to the Night World, mostly the shapeshifters as it went more in depth about their powers.
Connie
Dec 23, 2015 Connie rated it really liked it
Source: I own a bind up of books 7-9 of this series.
Cost: Free gift

Title: Witchlight
Series: Night World #9
Author: LJ Smith
Overall Rating: 4 stars

I liked this one a lot, but still not enough to call it a favourite. I love the whole Wild Powers story arc as it gives this series a purpose, which it was kind of void of for the first few books.

I think Keller might be one of my favourite female leads and I really enjoyed the action-y nature of this book, she was definitely a take no nonsens
Leah
I first met L.J. Smith and her Night World series back when I was in middle school, now that I'm older (a lot older), these books haven't lost their appeal and their magic to me. Consider this series sort of like Twilight - only 100%, a million times better and definitely more rich in stories. You've got your vampires, your witches, your shapeshifters, a dragon here and there, and various other characters and folks of the paranormal realm. I used to have nearly every single book from the Night W ...more
Leeanna
Dec 06, 2009 Leeanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Night World #9: Witchlight, by L. J. Smith

Wow. I couldn't stop turning the pages of this book last night, and ended up staying up late to finish it because I just *had* to know how it was going to end!

Keller is a shapeshifter; "Witchlight" is the only book in the Night World series to be told from a 'shifter's perspective. I wish at least another of the protagonists in the previous books had been a shapeshifter, as I enjoyed Keller's point of view so much.

Like all the girls before her, Keller
Sakina (Y.L.) Angel
Feb 08, 2011 Sakina (Y.L.) Angel rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
I got into this story from the first page - the whole thing was like a rollercoaster ride of plot and emotions. Keller was such an awesome character, with her own strengths and weaknesses, and I really believed in the story here. The concept of being a dragon is just too awesome to comprehend - I found myself shivering when I read the parts about their past. Totally wish I had that power - wish that there could have been more development or more exploration of that ancient being, or even for som ...more
Novel Delight Review & Lisa (Lissa) Smith's Bookshelf
4 Stars:
Each story has built to the climatic end. However it still leaves you wanting more and more.
The series has been about vampires, witches, shape shifters, and the humans who know about them. However, don't be turned off if this isn't typically your thing. They are more love stories between teenagers who happen to be supernatural beings than they are books about supernatural beings who happen to fall in love. The characters are easy to relate to because they have the same types of problems
Fabienne Gilbert
This book is by far my favourite one in the night world series, second place would probably have to be huntress. I am in love with Keller and her group and especially love the surprising relationship that sneaks up on her. I love how this was the first book I've read on my new kindle too, kind of kicks it off with a bang.
Kathleen
Jun 14, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
I know this is fantasy. I know it's paranormal. But. The instalove was soooo INSTA that it ruined everything for me. Am done.
Epiphany
Aug 31, 2016 Epiphany rated it really liked it
A page turner and it kept me wondering what was going to happen and only one part was predictable but overall it was a good read.
Brina
Jan 11, 2016 Brina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inhalt:
Gestaltwandlerin Kelly erhält vom Zirkel der Morgendämmerung den Auftrag, eine der kostbaren Wilden Mächte zu beschützen – und traut ihren Augen kaum: Das shoppingsüchtige Blondchen Illiana Harman soll wirklich dazu geboren sein, die Welt zu retten? Als sich Kelly auch noch in Illianas Seelengefährten Galen verliebt, steht sie vor einer folgenschweren Entscheidung.

Das Buch:
Wie schon die Bücher zuvor aus der Night World Reihe kann auch dieses unabhängig gelesen werden zu den anderen. Es lä
Ashley
I honestly believed that this story would never end. It seemed to be about nothing. Smith barely gave the characters life before the Soulmate Principle kicked in after the readers being lead to believe that Keller falls for someone else's soulmate, which he wasn't. Galen was just intended for the Wild Power. This story waited to the very end to reveal the Wild Power and that left me with nothing but dislike for the book as the whining and denial sub-plots that surrounded a majority of the charac ...more
Cindy
Keller, Winnie, and Nissa are 3 of the most skilled members of Circle Daybreak, so they get a special mission. Find the Wild Power in North Carolina and convince her to join them before other Night Worlders find her and persuade her to join the dark side.
But this Wild Power is a Pure Soul. An innocent teenager whose biggest concern is whether her best friends brother likes her or not. How will they convince someone as wholesome and naive that she, along with 3 others, must stand and fight togeth
Claire (not Danvers)
This failed my expectations just like Black Dawn. We don't necessarily get any closure. It was also predictable. Since Strange Fate hasn't even come out yet, who knows what happens to these characters? Sigh.

Anyway, here's my list of the Night World stories based preference. You don't have to read them in order but there are references starting from Soulmate.
1. The Chosen
8. Witchlight
9. Dark Angel
Debra
Aug 07, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Hayley Knowles
Feb 07, 2016 Hayley Knowles rated it it was amazing
I read the Night World series as a teen.

As it happens I was spending detention in the library and the cover caught my eye. I finished the first book within a day and kept going back to the library (of my own accord) to get the rest.

They were my original faves, I couldn't wait for a break or to go home and read them.

A few years ago I bought the books and plan on reading them all again - in the hope that one day we will get to read Strange Fate!

It also led me to The Vampire Diaries (years before i
Wondra Vanian
Jan 27, 2016 Wondra Vanian rated it it was amazing
This is the Night World book I know least well. It was one of my favourites to re-visit.
M.V.
I liked this one as well, she has a way with magic and reality.
Jessica Healy
Sep 09, 2014 Jessica Healy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, vampires, lj-smith, fantasy
So I was pretty sick for a few days, and when I'm sick and/or feeling sorry for myself, I always go back to LJ Smith. Nothing beats curling up in bed with LJ Smith and a cup of tea. This time, I opted for the final three books in the Night World series (uh, final three published books, that is... still eagerly awaiting Strange Fate after all these years... sixteen so far, and still counting. Whenever anybody complains about GRRM or Rothfuss taking years, I laugh. I laugh heartily.) The seventh b ...more
Amy
May 22, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Jeni
Nov 20, 2013 Jeni rated it liked it
I was pretty pleased with this book. It may have been my favorite since the story about Poppy at the beginning (book 1 or 2 of the series I believe). I wonder if Smith will ever write the final book. LOL I'm OK with it if she doesn't though. I mean, this book really wrapped it up pretty decently. Besides, if the final book of this series is anything like the last few vampire diaries books (the ones that she actually wrote herself, not the ones written by the ghost writer)...well, I'd probably ha ...more
Orlane
Jul 29, 2013 Orlane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, ya
This is a very good book.
The plot is pretty much like the other books especially the seventh and the eighth. However, I must say that it didn't bother me that much because this is exactly what I was looking for. Indeed, these books are very quick and entertaining because we have everything packed in a few pages.
We have a great story which has been started since the first book. The writing style is very easy to read.
But with LJ Smith, we have wonderful romances, I mean that I really really like
Bibliotropic
May 10, 2015 Bibliotropic rated it liked it
Lara
Nov 08, 2012 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Per chi non lo sapesse La maledizione è il nono volume della serie conosciuta in Italia come La Setta dei Vampiri (titolo che con la storia c’entra ben poco) e in America come Night World (che ha più senso visto che la comunità dei vampiri, streghe e mutaforma protagonista della serie si riferisce a se stessa come il Mondo delle Tenebre). I volumi sono diretti ad un pubblico prevalentemente adolescenziale, lo stile è semplice, pulito e lineare così come la trama principale e le trame secondarie. ...more
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
E cheguei por fim ao último (acho eu) capítulo desta Saga ... Adorei o livro, e, sinceramente, esse foi um dos 6 livros em que mais gostei das personagens.

Keller a personagem principal, meio humana meio mutante, é uma adolescente de força e de garra que é incumbida de achar o Poder Indomável e de protegê-la até à Cerimónia entre as Bruxas e os mutantes, que reuniria a Bruxa Infanta, Iliana (Poder Indomável) e o Príncipe da Casa Dos Mutantes, Gallen.

Ninguém fazia prever que Keller, a pantera, não
Amie
Feb 16, 2010 Amie rated it it was amazing
Fantasy Literature
Jul 08, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
Whereas the first NIGHT WORLD omnibus set up the basic concept for the Night World and the rules in place for its existence, the second began to give the sense that all the stories were interconnected rather than one-off stories. With each installment, more was learned about the history of the sub-world, the concept of soulmates, and (particularly in this final omnibus) the coming of the end of the world. Such was the case for the first nine books in this series, but unfortunately, the final boo ...more
Diana Braxton
Jan 09, 2015 Diana Braxton rated it it was amazing
This book (along with The Chosen and Huntress) was one of my absolute favorites! I loved the characters, the plot and over all epic-ness. However, wish the ending wasn't so cliche.
Khushboo
This book is beautiful. It makes suffering through all the preceding books worthwhile. Not that they were bad, they just lacked something in the story. But not this one, it was perfect!!
  • Creatures of Forever (The Last Vampire #6)
  • WereSlave (Were Legends, #1)
  • Lord of the Abyss / Desert Warrior
  • One Thing or Your Mother (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #10)
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Silent Stalker
  • Witchblade, Volume 2: Awakenings
  • The Conjurer Princess
  • Blood Curse (Vampire's Love, #1)
  • Islands in the Sky (Voyage of the Basset 1)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

Night World (10 books)
  • Secret Vampire (Night World, #1)
  • Daughters of Darkness (Night World, #2)
  • Spellbinder (Night World, #3)
  • Dark Angel (Night World, #4)
  • The Chosen (Night World, #5)
  • Soulmate (Night World, #6)
  • Huntress (Night World, #7)
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • Strange Fate (Night World, #10)

“People die . . . so love them every day.
Beauty fades . . . so look before it's gone.
Love changes . . . but not the love you give.
And if you love, you'll never be alone.”
1698 likes
“That was the problem with having walls so hard and high and unscalable....When they came down, they crumbled completely, shattering into nothingness.” 127 likes