Start by marking “Manners Can Be Fun” as Want to Read:
Manners Can Be Fun

Manners Can Be Fun

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Stick figure drawings and a brief text tell why good manners are important and how to have good manners at home, at play, and on visits.
Published May 1st 2004 by Universe (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Manners Can Be Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manners Can Be Fun

Elizabeth Crook
My mom read this and other Munro Leaf books to my brother and sister and me when we were little, and I later read those same old copies to my kids. These books are slightly dated but they're a lot of fun and the illustrations are terrific. The lessons are wise. The humor has held up all these years.
Kiki Joseph
oh yes this children's book is so much fun..........hope my kids enjoy as much as i did..........
Samantha Penrose
Not even half the book that How to Behave and Why was.
Amy
I loved this book! I read it in my 2nd grade placement and the kids cracked up. It is made up of sections on manners, like meeting someone for the first time, yawning around others, eating correctly, hand-shaking, and others. Some of the drawings are really funny; a few characters are listed as "The Whiners" and "The Grouches" for being really whiny and really grouchy around other people. This is a humorous book to be read and enjoyed to children to give them a good idea of what manners can be l ...more
Gaby Roman
This would be a wonderful book to introduce the topic of having manners. I would read this book in my classroom at the beginning of the year, and discuss the importance of having manners. I would have the students make a list of ways we can be polite to others in school and outside of school. I would also read this story before having a substitute enter the classroom. We would talk about how everyone needs to treat guest and other teachers with the same respect that they would give me.
Dolly
Jun 07, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
I thought this was a fun book that serves as a good way to remind children about manners. Our girls didn't really like it for two reasons: they got bored about halfway through and I think they were a little irritated when they saw things they do (at least occasionally) be labeled as inappropriate. Still, I think it was a good reinforcement of the things I teach them and it was coming from someone other than me.
Cheryl
This is a funny older book that has plenty of good lessons for kids today, too. It turns bad manners into caricatures of nasty little children "See this child with the big nose? That is because he's nosy..." Noisy kids, rude kids, destructive kids -- all made into caricatures that we're led to dislike. I thought it was great. And Atticus has always had good manners, so maybe this helped!!
Whitney Strickland
Manners Can Be Fun is definitely a cute book but I don't know if I would add it to my classroom collection. If I were to bring it into the classroom it would only be appropriate in prek. The book is adorable and is a very easy read for even young children. This book would be a great at home book for kids to browse through.
Krista
This is a cute, creatively written, classic book of how to behave around other people. My grandmother read it to my mother, and now that it's back in print, my mother got a copy for my children. My nearly three-year-old really enjoys having it read to her.
Danielle Smith
my favorite childhood bedtime story ever. I remember the book being so vintage it was falling apart at the seams and I wasn't allowed to touch it because it was so fragile and old...this is probably why it stuck out so much in my mind.
Ann
This book was written in the 1930's. G loves it. She now enjoys shaking hands because "that is what you do when you meet people". It isn't too preachy, just stick figures trying to be the best versions of themselves that they can.
Charlotte
This is not about stuffy manners for the sake of appearances. This book teaches basic acts of courtesy and thoughtfulness and further explains (in terms kids can easily understand) why they are important.
Joanne
Amusing children's book from the 1930s explaining what we do and do not do (we do not stuff our mouths full so that our cheeks stick out) in a conversational style and cute stick drawings. Utterly charming.
Dianna Harmon
This is a great book to read with younger children to introduce them to basic manners. My 3 and 5 year old love it! We've seen a difference in their behavior since reading this book.
Becky
This one too belongs on everyone's bookshelf! Get it. Read it. Read it to your children everyday. Read it yourself everyday! Love it!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Another oldie reprinted! This is a fun book, but it still doesn't beat Sesyle Joslin's What Do You Say, Dear? and What Do You Do, Dear?
Janice
This was a childhood favorite of mine. I used to collect the cartoon that Munro Leaf had in one of the Ladies magazines.
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Ferdinand.
I use this book every year with my students to help teach them expectations and good manners. It's just wonderful!
Adam Hinckley
My wife read this to my kids at least 10 times. They still have bad manners. It must be the book!!
Brook
. . .from the author of Ferdinand. A fun book about manners. My kids were engrossed.
Jean Doolittle
A classic that was fun to revisit--who says manners are out of style
Ms. LaPorte
Think it would be fun to turn this into a readers' theater.
Jenelle
Old-school fun.
Ragan
Ragan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Emily Harestad
Emily Harestad marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • The Caterpillar and the Polliwog
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • Richard Scarry's Find Your ABC'S (Pictureback®)
  • How to Be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them
  • This is Paris
  • Iggy Peck, Architect
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
  • The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)
  • The Complete Brambly Hedge
  • The Popcorn Book
  • The Word Collector
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • I Didn't Do It
Munro Leaf, author and illustrator of dozens of children’s books, is best remembered for his signature character, Ferdinand, the Spanish bull who preferred smelling flowers to fighting in a ring in Spain. Composed in less than an hour one Sunday afternoon in 1935, the book sparked controversy. With the Spanish Civil War raging, political critics charged that it was a satirical attack on aggression ...more
More about Munro Leaf...
The Story of Ferdinand How to Behave and Why Wee Gillis How to Speak Politely and Why Noodle