Start by marking “One World: The Ethics of Globalization” as Want to Read:
One World: The Ethics of Globalization

One World: The Ethics of Globalization

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  568 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Known for his original and courageous thinking on matters ranging from the treatment of animals to genetic screening, Peter Singer now turns his attention to the ethical issues surrounding globalisation.
Paperback, Second Edition, 272 pages
Published March 11th 2004 by Yale University Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about One World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One World

Mr.
Peter Singer has long since proven himself to be one of the most important and influential ethical utilitarian philosophers of the 20th century. However, when Singer steps into the realm of politics things get a little murky; this book, "One World" is an analysis of Globalization and its effects, and it's a less than perfect work. For instance, Singer provides thorough background information on the harmful effects industry is having on the environment in the form of greenhouse gas emissions, and ...more
Joe Noteboom
I love/hate reading Peter Singer because his ethical arguments are so clear and logical that he almost invariably succeeds in making me feel guilty. In that it makes me reflect on the morality of my own lifestyle this is a good thing. In One World, Singer is strongest at the individual level, advocating for an individual's responsibility to help those less fortunate (with a specific focus on extreme global poverty). I especially liked his description/prescription of 'two-level utilitarianism' in ...more
Worthless Bum
Peter Singer brings his well reasoned and superbly lucid writing (he is as lucid as any philosopher I've ever read) to the task of assesing the ethics of globalization. Singer covers not only the economic aspect of globalization (which is what most people are referring to when they say "globalization") but addresses international law, poverty, and global warming.

Singer's treatment of poverty is nothing new to those already familiar with his views on this subject. He argues that we should give m
Liz
Jul 23, 2007 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those looking for an extremely approachable, crash course in international relations
Peter Singer is an incredible writer, and a brilliant thinker. His biggest strength is as a philosopher and in One World, this is the tool he uses to debunk Western political philosphy, specifically as it relates to the concepts of nation-states, diplomacy, and capitalism.
Peter Singer is a professor (in New Mexico I believe) and this book definitely reads as a text designed for students. I found it hard to turn off the impulse to underline and highlight as the architecture of his arguments leap
J.
A book about the problems of globalization. For the most part, in this book the author stays away from the controversial themes for which he is infamous. His suggestions seem quite sensible on the surface. But the devil is in the details.

At some point he argues for a global governing body to encourage human rights for instance. But, just how much can this be pushed? What to some may seem as a fundamental human right (the so-called right to abortion) is to others a license to commit murder. And e
Eric Eisberg
This is a good, though very limited, look at the ethics of globalization, a subject that requires significantly more study by philosophers. Singer addresses a few key points, but doesn't go into great detail about any of them. It has also become dated quickly, as events unfold faster than they have in previous eras. Recommended for people who like ethics, but not a must read.
Brian Hull
In this book, Singer looks at the ethics of globalization through the lens of four issues: the environment, the economy, law, and nation states. While every section brought up interesting ethical dilemmas, I enjoyed this book primarily because it asks one fundamental question that is very difficult and uncomfortable to answer in the final part. Why, as a society, do we not seem to care about the suffering of others throughout the world, and when we do express concern why are we more likely to he ...more
Ted Child
I’m interested in ethics from a global perspective (different from a universal perspective) so I had high expectations for this book, probably too high. Written in 2002, this book is already a bit dated with the economic section focusing on the WTO, rather than economic globalization in general, which I was hoping for and a lot about Bush and his politics that are hopefully a thing of the past, at least for awhile. The best section is the last but it recovers a lot of ground that Singer has alr ...more
Dayton
Necessary overview of how our morals should respond to the increasing permeability of national borders (specifically climate change, trade, intervention on behalf of human rights, and global poverty), and of how out of touch the reality is (especially with regards to the USA) with anything approaching consistent ethical principles. It is too short to adequately address all the issues, but on the bright side this makes it an accessible read.
Brendan O'Donnell
Singer has an incredible mind for piecing together complex ethical arguments in an approachable, logical way. In 'One World', he carefully examines the typical arguments for and against globalisation, and while on occasion he diverts to some relatively simple philosophical theories, in general his points are clear and logical. Reading this book left me with the simple impression that while many of the arguments against the instruments of globalisation are crude and often exaggerated, they are ge ...more
Sean
Singer's approach to the issue of globalization -- breaking it down into a few discrete topics (carbon emissions, the WTO, foreign aid, etc.) and then methodically weighing opposing approaches to each one -- perhaps isn't the most moving rhetorical style. But the book does eventually coalesce into a fairly strong argument against the nationalist mentality. And the obvious loser of that argument? The U.S., natch.

Nothing shocking in here, but did pick up a few interesting facts of which I was not
Ernest
Singer argues passionately and coherently for his views about the ethics of globalisation. With chapter on, amongst other things, the atmosphere, economy and law, he has the ability to both marshal an argument and state his reasons as to why other arguments are deficient/wrong. One may not necessarily agree with his points (I have particular difficulty and rebuttals for some points be makes about economy and the World Trade Organisation, and international and domestic law), but a serious, well a ...more
Ash
i love to read about the global village and about the history of the globalization.
Max Mindock
Good ideas. Thought provoking. well written
Paul
Mar 14, 2008 Paul rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in ethics and international relations
Unfortunately i have to give this book a low grade. It's an interesting topic and Singer is an interesting thinker, however his research is very sloppy. While I was initially enthusiastic, after doing my own research i found that many of his thoughts are based on faulty information and cannot stand.

However, if you are interested in thinking in ethics, this is an excellent exercise, if not a manual for real-world problems.

Luke
An application of a modern form of utilitarianism to a modern, globalized world. He also criticizes Rawls for not extending his system to sufficiently cover international relations and global governance. I do think he is too optimistic about the powers of NGOs to positively impact the amount of suffering in the world, especially in comparison to the social and economic policies of governments.
DJ
Dec 29, 2007 DJ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who hates the WTO and wants reassurance that Peter Singer agrees with them
Shelves: politics
Singer is intelligent but this book is just downright boring. Its repetitive and mostly relays common sense.

I only made it to the third chapter on the new global economy. Expecting a broad, political, and philosophical discussion, I found only a lengthy attack on the WTO.

This book just simply didn't seem worth my time.
Clay
Singer continues to force me to examine and re-examine my paradigms, not a casual examination, but a naked-in-front-of-the-mirror self-examination.

His ideas have shaped me, and I feel that if people allow themselves to be vulnerable, his ideas can shape the world for good.
Liesl Kruse
Singer writes this book with a discussion on ethics in the inevitable evolution of our worldwide community. I enjoyed his arguments and his accusations were well supported. The main topics are globalization, the ethics of WTO, and our role in the environment.
Shelley
at this point, the data is a little outdated but the concepts are still relevant and worth examining. there were times when it was redundant to the point of beating a dead horse. if you want to feel guilty about being an american, read this book.
I picked this one up to try to learn more about globalization and the impact on third world countries. This one was informative, but I ended up skimming a lot because some of it was over my head.
Mary Pat
I had to read this book for class. It was really dense and though the topic has lots of potential I found it hard to get through the name dropping and awkwardly long sentence structure.
Alicia Suschena
Read this for class: Ethics of Globalization with Dr. Allison Wolf. Singer provides a Utilitarian perspective and analysis of globalization regarding the economy, atmosphere and much more.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Though a bit dated, Singer's application of Rawl's Theory of Justice to the problems of a globalized world remain as relevant today as when the book was written.
Allyn
I am reading this for for school, it is sometimes a yawner, sometimes boring, about a subject that could be compelling for our generation of college students.
Brendan
Hard to take seriously an ethical assessment of the world by a man so strict in his utilitarianism that he says infanticide can be moral in some situations.
Preston
This is the best book I have probably read in years. Its definitely a philosophy book, but its readable regardless of one's experience (no jargon).
H.m. Gautsch
It's an eye opener, especially for one who has only been blinded by one side of a problem solving situation with the Armed Forces.
Logan
A great, easy read on how the world interacts with each other and how ethics can shape globalization policy for the future.
Trey
One of my favorite nonfiction books. I don't agree with everything in it, but it always makes you think and is well organized.
  • Living High and Letting Die: Our Illusion of Innocence
  • World Poverty and Human Rights: Cosmopolitan Responsibilities and Reforms
  • Illicit: How Smugglers, Traffickers, and Copycats are Hijacking the Global Economy
  • Making Democracy Work: Civic Traditions in Modern Italy
  • Making Globalization Work
  • The J Curve: A New Way to Understand Why Nations Rise and Fall
  • The Art of Political Murder: Who Killed the Bishop?
  • Shantung Compound
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
  • Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Just and Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations
  • The Modularity of Mind
  • Corporate Warriors: The Rise of the Privatized Military Industry
  • Affluence and Influence: Economic Inequality and Political Power in America
  • Unpopular Essays
  • The Hidden Cost of Being African American: How Wealth Perpetuates Inequality
Peter Albert David Singer is an Australian philosopher. He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and laureate professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE), University of Melbourne. He specializes in applied ethics, approaching ethical issues from a secular preference utilitarian perspective.

He has served, on two occasions, as chair of phil
More about Peter Singer...
Animal Liberation The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty Practical Ethics Marx: A Very Short Introduction