Start by marking “One World: The Ethics of Globalization” as Want to Read:
One World: The Ethics of Globalization

One World: The Ethics of Globalization

One of the world’s most influential philosophers here considers the ethical issues surrounding globalization. Peter Singer discusses climate change, the role of the World Trade Organization, human rights and humanitarian intervention, and foreign aid, showing how a global ethic rather than a nationalistic approach can provide illuminating answers to important problems.

The
Paperback, Second Edition, 272 pages
Published March 11th 2004 by Yale University Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about One World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One World

Mr.
Oct 07, 2008 Mr. rated it it was ok
Peter Singer has long since proven himself to be one of the most important and influential ethical utilitarian philosophers of the 20th century. However, when Singer steps into the realm of politics things get a little murky; this book, "One World" is an analysis of Globalization and its effects, and it's a less than perfect work. For instance, Singer provides thorough background information on the harmful effects industry is having on the environment in the form of greenhouse gas emissions, and ...more
Jasper L
Apr 19, 2017 Jasper L rated it liked it
Although I do not entirely agree. It was a good read
Joe Noteboom
Dec 16, 2014 Joe Noteboom rated it liked it
I love/hate reading Peter Singer because his ethical arguments are so clear and logical that he almost invariably succeeds in making me feel guilty. In that it makes me reflect on the morality of my own lifestyle this is a good thing. In One World, Singer is strongest at the individual level, advocating for an individual's responsibility to help those less fortunate (with a specific focus on extreme global poverty). I especially liked his description/prescription of 'two-level utilitarianism' in ...more
Worthless Bum
Sep 18, 2008 Worthless Bum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, ethics
Peter Singer brings his well reasoned and superbly lucid writing (he is as lucid as any philosopher I've ever read) to the task of assesing the ethics of globalization. Singer covers not only the economic aspect of globalization (which is what most people are referring to when they say "globalization") but addresses international law, poverty, and global warming.

Singer's treatment of poverty is nothing new to those already familiar with his views on this subject. He argues that we should give m
Liz
Jul 23, 2007 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for an extremely approachable, crash course in international relations
Peter Singer is an incredible writer, and a brilliant thinker. His biggest strength is as a philosopher and in One World, this is the tool he uses to debunk Western political philosphy, specifically as it relates to the concepts of nation-states, diplomacy, and capitalism.
Peter Singer is a professor (in New Mexico I believe) and this book definitely reads as a text designed for students. I found it hard to turn off the impulse to underline and highlight as the architecture of his arguments leap
Ebba
Apr 22, 2016 Ebba rated it it was ok
I read this book for my philosophy class and I thought I include it here to boost up my book count haha. I have pretty mixed feelings about this one. I'm kind of glad that we had to read it because it was interesting to read one of Peter Singer's works. He's a pretty controversial person so it was interesting to hear from his perspective. I would say that he makes some great points but then there are things that are completely bullshit in my opinion. Globalization could be considered to be on of ...more
Eric Eisberg
May 30, 2014 Eric Eisberg rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This is a good, though very limited, look at the ethics of globalization, a subject that requires significantly more study by philosophers. Singer addresses a few key points, but doesn't go into great detail about any of them. It has also become dated quickly, as events unfold faster than they have in previous eras. Recommended for people who like ethics, but not a must read.
Liz
Jul 12, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
"The future of the world depends on how well we meet it."

This quote from the end of the book expertly summarizes the underlying message of it: We live in an increasingly and irreversibly global world - so what are we going to do about it? Singer divides his thoughts on the matter into four major sections: One Atmosphere, One Economy, One Law, and One Community.

In each, he delves into an analysis of global organizations and political perspectives which influence and define how the nations of the
J.
Apr 19, 2014 J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book about the problems of globalization. For the most part, in this book the author stays away from the controversial themes for which he is infamous. His suggestions seem quite sensible on the surface. But the devil is in the details.

At some point he argues for a global governing body to encourage human rights for instance. But, just how much can this be pushed? What to some may seem as a fundamental human right (the so-called right to abortion) is to others a license to commit murder. And e
Brian Hull
Jul 26, 2012 Brian Hull rated it really liked it
In this book, Singer looks at the ethics of globalization through the lens of four issues: the environment, the economy, law, and nation states. While every section brought up interesting ethical dilemmas, I enjoyed this book primarily because it asks one fundamental question that is very difficult and uncomfortable to answer in the final part. Why, as a society, do we not seem to care about the suffering of others throughout the world, and when we do express concern why are we more likely to he ...more
Ted Child
Dec 11, 2009 Ted Child rated it liked it
I’m interested in ethics from a global perspective (different from a universal perspective) so I had high expectations for this book, probably too high. Written in 2002, this book is already a bit dated with the economic section focusing on the WTO, rather than economic globalization in general, which I was hoping for and a lot about Bush and his politics that are hopefully a thing of the past, at least for awhile. The best section is the last but it recovers a lot of ground that Singer has alr ...more
Brendan O'Donnell
Apr 11, 2012 Brendan O'Donnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Singer has an incredible mind for piecing together complex ethical arguments in an approachable, logical way. In 'One World', he carefully examines the typical arguments for and against globalisation, and while on occasion he diverts to some relatively simple philosophical theories, in general his points are clear and logical. Reading this book left me with the simple impression that while many of the arguments against the instruments of globalisation are crude and often exaggerated, they are ge ...more
Sean
Aug 06, 2007 Sean rated it liked it
Singer's approach to the issue of globalization -- breaking it down into a few discrete topics (carbon emissions, the WTO, foreign aid, etc.) and then methodically weighing opposing approaches to each one -- perhaps isn't the most moving rhetorical style. But the book does eventually coalesce into a fairly strong argument against the nationalist mentality. And the obvious loser of that argument? The U.S., natch.

Nothing shocking in here, but did pick up a few interesting facts of which I was not
Ernest
Jul 26, 2011 Ernest rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Singer argues passionately and coherently for his views about the ethics of globalisation. With chapter on, amongst other things, the atmosphere, economy and law, he has the ability to both marshal an argument and state his reasons as to why other arguments are deficient/wrong. One may not necessarily agree with his points (I have particular difficulty and rebuttals for some points be makes about economy and the World Trade Organisation, and international and domestic law), but a serious, well a ...more
Paul
Mar 14, 2008 Paul rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone interested in ethics and international relations
Unfortunately i have to give this book a low grade. It's an interesting topic and Singer is an interesting thinker, however his research is very sloppy. While I was initially enthusiastic, after doing my own research i found that many of his thoughts are based on faulty information and cannot stand.

However, if you are interested in thinking in ethics, this is an excellent exercise, if not a manual for real-world problems.

Dayton
May 12, 2014 Dayton rated it really liked it
Necessary overview of how our morals should respond to the increasing permeability of national borders (specifically climate change, trade, intervention on behalf of human rights, and global poverty), and of how out of touch the reality is (especially with regards to the USA) with anything approaching consistent ethical principles. It is too short to adequately address all the issues, but on the bright side this makes it an accessible read.
DJ
Jul 20, 2007 DJ rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who hates the WTO and wants reassurance that Peter Singer agrees with them
Shelves: politics
Singer is intelligent but this book is just downright boring. Its repetitive and mostly relays common sense.

I only made it to the third chapter on the new global economy. Expecting a broad, political, and philosophical discussion, I found only a lengthy attack on the WTO.

This book just simply didn't seem worth my time.
Luke
Jul 15, 2013 Luke rated it it was amazing
An application of a modern form of utilitarianism to a modern, globalized world. He also criticizes Rawls for not extending his system to sufficiently cover international relations and global governance. I do think he is too optimistic about the powers of NGOs to positively impact the amount of suffering in the world, especially in comparison to the social and economic policies of governments.
Shelley
Jan 15, 2008 Shelley rated it liked it
at this point, the data is a little outdated but the concepts are still relevant and worth examining. there were times when it was redundant to the point of beating a dead horse. if you want to feel guilty about being an american, read this book.
Liesl Kruse
Mar 22, 2008 Liesl Kruse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Singer writes this book with a discussion on ethics in the inevitable evolution of our worldwide community. I enjoyed his arguments and his accusations were well supported. The main topics are globalization, the ethics of WTO, and our role in the environment.
May 31, 2007 Jennifer rated it liked it
I picked this one up to try to learn more about globalization and the impact on third world countries. This one was informative, but I ended up skimming a lot because some of it was over my head.
Clay
Nov 15, 2011 Clay rated it it was amazing
Singer continues to force me to examine and re-examine my paradigms, not a casual examination, but a naked-in-front-of-the-mirror self-examination.

His ideas have shaped me, and I feel that if people allow themselves to be vulnerable, his ideas can shape the world for good.
Alicia Suschena
Read this for class: Ethics of Globalization with Dr. Allison Wolf. Singer provides a Utilitarian perspective and analysis of globalization regarding the economy, atmosphere and much more.
Renee
Sep 05, 2008 Renee rated it it was amazing
Ethics meet globalization. Great read, especially for those whose national pride trumps your support for global ethics.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Jun 24, 2013 Jeffrey Cavanaugh rated it liked it
Though a bit dated, Singer's application of Rawl's Theory of Justice to the problems of a globalized world remain as relevant today as when the book was written.
Joe Sabet
Jun 27, 2016 Joe Sabet rated it really liked it
Well written, balanced, and thorough parts on climate change, economic globalization, and world security. I learned a lot. Written almost 15 years ago but still relevant, since problems persist.
jessica
Mar 14, 2007 jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dan F. & Lauren
Not very philosophically compelling yet, nonetheless, necessary.
Kristen
Apr 13, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: thinkers, environment
Liked this one because it was very thought provoking. Not much leads me to vigorously debate and this one did.
H.M. Gautsch
Mar 23, 2013 H.M. Gautsch rated it liked it
It's an eye opener, especially for one who has only been blinded by one side of a problem solving situation with the Armed Forces.
Ash
May 01, 2015 Ash rated it it was amazing
i love to read about the global village and about the history of the globalization.
  • Living High and Letting Die: Our Illusion of Innocence
  • Illicit: How Smugglers, Traffickers, and Copycats are Hijacking the Global Economy
  • World Poverty and Human Rights
  • Making Democracy Work: Civic Traditions in Modern Italy
  • The J Curve: A New Way to Understand Why Nations Rise and Fall
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Fighting for Air: The Battle to Control America's Media
  • Reset: How This Crisis Can Restore Our Values and Renew America
  • Shantung Compound
  • The Art of Political Murder: Who Killed the Bishop?
  • The Waste Makers
  • Guardians of Power: The Myth of the Liberal Media
  • Day of Empire: How Hyperpowers Rise to Global Dominance--and Why They Fall
  • Rich Media, Poor Democracy: Communication Politics in Dubious Times
  • Illusion of Free Markets
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
  • The Trobrianders of Papua New Guinea
Peter Albert David Singer is an Australian philosopher. He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and laureate professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE), University of Melbourne. He specializes in applied ethics, approaching ethical issues from a secular preference utilitarian perspective.

He has served, on two occasions, as chair of phil
More about Peter Singer...

“Terrorism has made our world an integrated community in a new and frightening way. Not merely the activities of our neighbors, but those of the inhabitants of the most remote mountain valleys of the farthest-flung countries of our planet, have become our business. We need to extend the reach of the criminal law there and to have the means to bring terrorists to justice without declaring war on an entire country in order to do it. For this we need a sound global system of criminal justice, so justice does not become the victim of national differences of opinion. We also need, though it will be far more difficult to achieve, a sense that we really are one community, that we are people who recognize not only the force of prohibitions against killing each other but also the pull of obligations to assist one another. This may not stop religious fanatics from carrying out suicide missions, but it will help to isolate them and reduce their support.” 1 likes